50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Question about auto transmissions

Can I throw a moving Honda automatic in neutral and shut the engine down? Or should engine be on to provide lubrication to the transmission, like Toyotas? Do Hondas even have a transmission lubrication pump?

In other words, Honda flat tow scene on?

If yes, are all model years flat towable?

Click here for SOLUTION

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    your transmission does not have a rear pump like the old mercedes had - that pump allowed you to even tow start the car, it would apply enough pressure that the clutches engaged but they warned against it as it required an expert attempt.

the attempt was

with cold transmission - pull the car to 65 km/h with shifter in N - shift to D and wait 3 seconds for the engine to fire - if no success then stop and wait 30 minutes before reattempt.

the rear pump as tiny and slow compared to the front pump - some cheeky owners blew the transmission from doing this. (MB got rid of the pump in 1991)

new electronic NAG1 and NAG2 boxes never got it - infact it cant - the whole unit is a gearhead + geek product.

your dad doing the coasting downhill did ruin the box, you never came to know of it because you or your mechanic may have never known what to test or check (most mechanics think that if a shift happens - the box is OK - no matter if the shift is darned hard as a kick or sloppy as spaghetti)
    Good one ! Keep it up..
    What ever, we all at the forum are learning a lot..
    Don't leave a highway for a byway....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

hi i have toyota duet 99 model...recently swaped the engine...new gear box installed but the problem is that it changes gears prematurely so what should i do...is it the kickdown cable i have to replace or what????????

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

you need to adjust the throttle position sensor correctly and make sure there are no leaks in the intake manifold and air filter area too.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

zulfiqar bro i have cultus mated auto transmission car and i noticed in cold whether today when i started the car and put it into R and then L (smallest fwd gear) and there was way much minimum power to the wheels like someone pushing it while rpm reaches 3, 4k then i started idling and then pushing after many tries it became just okay then i headed to my destination what could b the problem? is it due to direct fan? or wrong ATF? or nearly end of the life of transmission?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by overspeed111 View Post
    zulfiqar bro i have cultus mated auto transmission car and i noticed in cold whether today when i started the car and put it into R and then L (smallest fwd gear) and there was way much minimum power to the wheels like someone pushing it while rpm reaches 3, 4k then i started idling and then pushing after many tries it became just okay then i headed to my destination what could b the problem? is it due to direct fan? or wrong ATF? or nearly end of the life of transmission?
    Do the gears shift fine in warm weather? How long does the car take to shift the fwd drive gears or reverse? Almost instantaneous or a few seconds? Problem could be worn out clutch packs.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

as said above, this is usually reffered to as "transmission morning sickness" and is mostly caused by sticky clutch packs, there is a product I love to use which 90% of the time cures this issue - its called lubegard transmission conditioner.

How old is your ATF? and what did you use?
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZainMahdi View Post
    Do the gears shift fine in warm weather? How long does the car take to shift the fwd drive gears or reverse? Almost instantaneous or a few seconds? Problem could be worn out clutch packs.
    yes shifts fine in warm whether and almost instantaneously , 1 second for fwd and sometimes 2,3 seconds for reverse gear. problem is not with the shift it does shifts to larger fwd gears, the problem is with the power to the wheels or u can say pick of the car when cold and when its hot it spins wheels in smaller gears.
    btw its semi auto transmission so each time i have to push the lever to change gear

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by overspeed111 View Post
    yes shifts fine in warm whether and almost instantaneously , 1 second for fwd and sometimes 2,3 seconds for reverse gear. problem is not with the shift it does shifts to larger fwd gears, the problem is with the power to the wheels or u can say pick of the car when cold and when its hot it spins wheels in smaller gears.
    btw its semi auto transmission so each time i have to push the lever to change gear

hold your horses.

you shift the lever to shift gear? - what transmission are you using?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

as said above, this is usually reffered to as "transmission morning sickness" and is mostly caused by sticky clutch packs, there is a product I love to use which 90% of the time cures this issue - its called lubegard transmission conditioner.

yes ATF does need replacement , i poured in the expensive one but the pan gasket leaked and axle seal leaked, and that pan gasket was not available in the market so i have to made it myself with available gasket sheet now its fine after that diy, so i poured in loacally available cheap, thick ATF that is usually available in black bottle ( name VASLEE, WARCO , on packing it says made in U.S.A) through i dont belive it, at that time i was out of budget so i did that to run that thing now im thinking to change it with ZIC dexron 3 although dip stick shows dexron 2, now im worried that does this act really cost me a transmission change? if so then i have to put in manual transmission and that is all hectic alterations in the body of charade.
    bro what is the function of kick down cable?
    ZIC one cost about 5$ for one litre bottle so i need 4-5 of them and the local one was for 2.5$ for one bottle

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the ATF you chose it not suitable for your transmission, its called type A or type F I think and using it in dexron spec transmission can cause serious trouble later on.

find a gallon pack of emarat ATF DII - it was cheap in the gallon pack and was pretty good to use.

you said you need to shift the lever to shift speeds, what gearbox is this? the last suzuki automatic to do that was the fx, fronte and alto of the mid to late 80s

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

hold your horses.

you shift the lever to shift gear? - what transmission are you using?
    yes each time i have to push lever to engage it into larger fwd gear, 3 fwd gears L,D2,D is the largest one, bro i still don't know which transmission is it, so far i didn't find any thing written or engraved on it, do you know where to look to find something written on it?
    ill check again thoroughly in the morning to find out something or the other option is to take few pictures of it then u can tell me which one is it.
    all these mods done by previous owner, he was a disabled person so he can only drive with his one arm and leg.
    on daewoo auto transmission i only have to put in D rest it changes gears itself and on transmission i found hydramatic and GMC written on pan but nothing like this on that transmission.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the ATF you chose it not suitable for your transmission, its called type A or type F I think and using it in dexron spec transmission can cause serious trouble later on.

find a gallon pack of emarat ATF DII - it was cheap in the gallon pack and was pretty good to use.

you said you need to shift the lever to shift speeds, what gearbox is this? the last suzuki automatic to do that was the fx, fronte and alto of the mid to late 80s
    yes very true its TYPE A fluid, sir sadly iam unable to find emarat ATF DII in islamabad, i searched for it alot, any clue where it could be found? a gallon pack is too good for me coz i poured in 4 liters + in it to maintain the required level.
    about the gear box im unable to find which one is it, i ll upload pics tomorrow of transmission + car, it also have two sensors and their wires are cut , i found out then when i was searching for reverse switch but there is no reverse switch so reverse lite doesnot work

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the reverse lamp wiring is always in the shifter or the neutral start switch assembly.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

go to a lube seller in pindi and ask for large packs of ATF. Im pretty sure ZIC also sold it in 4 liter packs.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the reverse lamp wiring is always in the shifter or the neutral start switch assembly.
    that is missing in my car so left it, today took some pics of transmission can you tell which one is this? though very dirty from outside.
    No even ZIC pakistan website only shows 1 litre packing and the new prices are almost 540 and 690 for two of its Dexron III ATF.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

this transmisssion should have 2 wires on it - and if you open the pan you will also find a small wiring harness and 2 solenoids. the wires are for 2nd brake and direct clutch.

do you have its TCU?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

this transmisssion should have 2 wires on it - and if you open the pan you will also find a small wiring harness and 2 solenoids. the wires are for 2nd brake and direct clutch.

do you have its TCU?
    yes two wires are out from back side of transmission ( up from the back side of pan), and i have also noticed some wires and harness when i was fixing pan and , there are also a sensor like thing on the top of the transmission nearby a hat like pipe is out, there is also two wires of it. i ll again take pics of these wires.
    bro what is function of 2nd brake and direct clutch?
    No i dont have its TCU. it can b configured manually or else i have to buy its TCU?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i think its suzuki MX 17 / A210 transmission. coz filter and pan exactly same, even pan protector cover was there but removed by some sheep mechanic.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

this transmission is 3 speed automatic and in D with no solenoid activity it remains in 1:1 ratio (3rd gear) the 2 solenoids work to provide the 2 shifts.

Its like the charade G100 automatic transmission and you need its TCU and also a few other parts like the throttle position sensor for the carby and also a MAP sensor and a VSS - the two wires on top of the gearbox are the speed sensor pulse generator wires - ask someone for "sheraad anda ka aatometick ghear ka card"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

where to get this conditioner?? i have the exact same issue, even though i changed ATF to correct spec and ATF is also fully synthetic and fan and thermostat are automatic but occasionally it happens on cold or rainy days

mine is also a three speed automatic, it stays lock in third gear and extremely slow to accerate until after some time when it warms up and automatically starts shifting,sometime happens regardless of hot or cold start but with low ambient temp

the lever goes into D easily but it would start in third gear, if you put in L then first gear always engages, however putting it in 2 again doesnt work, when this issue is there sometime theres a bit of jerk while putting in D but not in R, other times when its fine theres no jerk at all while moving to or from D and it shifts perfectly.
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

User Tag List