Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 208 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 4148
Like Tree761Likes

Thread: Self Tunning - Khyber G-10 (Plugs, valve clearance, spark gap etc)

  1. #1
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    smijaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,100
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Self Tuning - Khyber G-10 (Plugs, valve clearance, spark gap etc)

    Salam

    dear members/experts

    I own a khyber 1996. Recently overhauled its engine completely at home by myself except the mechanist part. It has its first oil change at 1100Km yesterday and i am planning to tune it. I have following query for the learned members/experts

    Q.1. recommended spark plugs for khyber g-10 on CNG
    Q.2. Recommended spark plug gap?
    Q.3. Recommended tappet setting Hot/cold?
    Q.4. Running was on petrol with Caltex Havoline formula and now i have switched to CNG with Shell helix HX7 10-40W (synthetic) , is shell HX7 ok?

    What else should i do or check to get max output and efficiency from my g-10?

    regards


    after-note: In addition to the above queries, this thread also contains info on carburetor, AC, electrical, cooling system, brakes & gear issues related to khyber G-10.

    Special thanks to following experts :
    Xulfiqar, Fas133, Margallar, Ahsanzs, wasay_Ahmad, Xplorer, jz, Daniyal
    for their valuable contributions and last but not least
    I am greatful to Cracked for keeping this thread alive by
    raising all the queries/question.


  2. #1961
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    MoizIrfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dubai
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,960
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    installed the thermostat valve with direct fan but although the temp needle shoots to 90% the car doesn't feel that hot.
    my fan switch is also broken
    Self Tunning  Khyber G10 Plugs valve clearance spark gap etc -1343642
    I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension...............................Ayrton Senna

  3. #1962
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    DUDE007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    2,034
    Follows
    0
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Guys i got a thermostat valve and this is how it looks:

    Closed position:
    Self Tunning  Khyber G10 Plugs valve clearance spark gap etc -1343787

    This position was the limit after opening:
    Self Tunning  Khyber G10 Plugs valve clearance spark gap etc -1343788

    Does it seem fine ? I didn't have a thermometer to check the temperature but it opened very gradually and fully opened as shown in the second pic.

  4. #1963
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    DUDE007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    2,034
    Follows
    0
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    So right now i'm a little stuck as i've opened the cap but i don't know which position should i install it in. Does it matter?
    Self Tunning  Khyber G10 Plugs valve clearance spark gap etc -1343789

    I tried to seal the thermostat in this position but there is a gap caused by the thermostat.........is this where the rubber gasket is supposed to be? The shopkeeper i asked said a gasket isn't required so i'm confused here.

    Self Tunning  Khyber G10 Plugs valve clearance spark gap etc -1343790

  5. #1964
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    DUDE007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    2,034
    Follows
    0
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @speedster_101 To add, while i opened up this enclosure there was nothing in it except for coolant. Was i running the car without a thermostat all this time? :O

    Please forgive me for all the dirt and rust you see; this car hasn't been very well taken care of.

  6. #1965
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    MoizIrfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dubai
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,960
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DUDE007 View Post
    @speedster_101 To add, while i opened up this enclosure there was nothing in it except for coolant. Was i running the car without a thermostat all this time? :O

    Please forgive me for all the dirt and rust you see; this car hasn't been very well taken care of.
    Same issue with me. My mechanic removed the seal and installed the thermostat valve. then made a packing. added silicon above and below the packing and installed the cover.
    I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension...............................Ayrton Senna

  7. #1966
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    cracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,963
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DUDE007 View Post
    So right now i'm a little stuck as i've opened the cap but i don't know which position should i install it in. Does it matter?
    Self Tunning  Khyber G10 Plugs valve clearance spark gap etc -1343789

    I tried to seal the thermostat in this position but there is a gap caused by the thermostat.........is this where the rubber gasket is supposed to be? The shopkeeper i asked said a gasket isn't required so i'm confused here.

    Self Tunning  Khyber G10 Plugs valve clearance spark gap etc -1343790
    no dude,the fitting isnt right. I mean you put the thermostat alright but the size seems a bit bigger...the seal is just made of a thick paper,the gap in picture is TOO much.the seal that your thermostat has might need to be removed.the actual size of thermostat is exact fit in housing...
    try removing the rubber seal from tstat and then try.otherwise tstat might not be of khyber's
    REAL men drive manual cars!

  8. #1967
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    cracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,963
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoizIrfan View Post
    installed the thermostat valve with direct fan but although the temp needle shoots to 90% the car doesn't feel that hot.
    my fan switch is also broken
    Self Tunning  Khyber G10 Plugs valve clearance spark gap etc -1343642

    its overheating dude..
    REAL men drive manual cars!

  9. #1968
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    speedster_101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    3,447
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DUDE007 View Post
    @speedster_101 To add, while i opened up this enclosure there was nothing in it except for coolant. Was i running the car without a thermostat all this time? :O

    Please forgive me for all the dirt and rust you see; this car hasn't been very well taken care of.
    Its the favorite hobby of Pakistani mechanics to remove the thermostat valve.
    Have you bought this thermostat brand new?
    The one I bought was kabli and it did not have that rubber seal around it.
    "The more we sweat in peace, the less we bleed in war"

  10. #1969
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    MoizIrfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dubai
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,960
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speedster_101 View Post
    Its the favorite hobby of Pakistani mechanics to remove the thermostat valve.
    Have you bought this thermostat brand new?
    The one I bought was kabli and it did not have that rubber seal around it.
    I bought the same thermostat from plaza same one with seal for rs 1200
    but it is also a misfit in khyber. may be its of mehran. sourcing khyber parts has now become difficult.
    if i remove t stat car maintains 30% to 40% temp. with thermostat it maintains 90% temp.
    but at 90 % i can easily remove the radiator cap. provided my head work is recently done new gaskit installed and a new radiator aswell
    still 90% temp i am confused now
    I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension...............................Ayrton Senna

  11. #1970
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    speedster_101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    3,447
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoizIrfan View Post
    I bought the same thermostat from plaza same one with seal for rs 1200
    but it is also a misfit in khyber. may be its of mehran. sourcing khyber parts has now become difficult.
    if i remove t stat car maintains 30% to 40% temp. with thermostat it maintains 90% temp.
    but at 90 % i can easily remove the radiator cap. provided my head work is recently done new gaskit installed and a new radiator aswell
    still 90% temp i am confused now
    There is a possibility that your thermostat is stuck in closed position and it does not open at required temperature.
    "The more we sweat in peace, the less we bleed in war"

  12. #1971
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    MoizIrfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dubai
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,960
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speedster_101 View Post
    There is a possibility that your thermostat is stuck in closed position and it does not open at required temperature.
    i have tested it before installation in water
    I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension...............................Ayrton Senna

  13. #1972
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    metalhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wah cantt
    Posts
    1,307
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    In khyber the thermostat has no rubber seal around it rather needs a gasket easily available for it. The flange(edge) of the valve seats in a groove to make a leveled surface for a gasket.

    At operating temperature, the valve should open, and you should be able o see the whirling in the radiator with cap removed. Take care not to open the cap when hot. The 90% temp at indicator means that your engine core temperature is high NOT the radiator. Check the valve operation first.

  14. #1973
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    MoizIrfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dubai
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,960
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
    In khyber the thermostat has no rubber seal around it rather needs a gasket easily available for it. The flange(edge) of the valve seats in a groove to make a leveled surface for a gasket.

    At operating temperature, the valve should open, and you should be able o see the whirling in the radiator with cap removed. Take care not to open the cap when hot. The 90% temp at indicator means that your engine core temperature is high NOT the radiator. Check the valve operation first.
    i have checked the thermostat valve in boiling water. its fine. i think my temp gauge is at fault
    I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension...............................Ayrton Senna

  15. #1974
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    DUDE007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    2,034
    Follows
    0
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cracked View Post
    no dude,the fitting isnt right. I mean you put the thermostat alright but the size seems a bit bigger...the seal is just made of a thick paper,the gap in picture is TOO much.the seal that your thermostat has might need to be removed.the actual size of thermostat is exact fit in housing...
    try removing the rubber seal from tstat and then try.otherwise tstat might not be of khyber's
    Thanks for replying.
    The seal wasn't of rubber, it was plastic. If i had to remove it i would have to break it so i returned this thermostat on advice from my mechanic who also told me its bigger. He claimed to have one with him so i'll visit him tomorrow and see which one is it.
    Its opening temp. was 88C which is ideal according to a post i read on this thread but i guess it wasn't for khyber...

  16. #1975
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    DUDE007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    2,034
    Follows
    0
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speedster_101 View Post
    Its the favorite hobby of Pakistani mechanics to remove the thermostat valve.
    Have you bought this thermostat brand new?
    The one I bought was kabli and it did not have that rubber seal around it.
    Nope it was a Kabli one. I know you advised me against it but to source an original one i would have to go to montgomery road which is quite far. Though it worked fine but now its gone as i returned it on the advise of my mechanic whom i'll visit tomorrow to see if he has it or not.

  17. #1976
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    margallar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    9,960
    Follows
    6
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    could you please tell me the process to remove the t stat valve, i know where it is, but is there any jain/gasket that needs replacement in the process?
    haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate

  18. #1977
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    DUDE007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    2,034
    Follows
    0
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @margallar Remove any bolt on the housing of the thermostat valve. As you can see in the pictures above there were two bolts. Remove the pipe carrying coolant to it from the radiator so you don't get a mess by leaking coolant. Gently pull the cover or strike the lower surface with a hammer so as to remove the cap if it was previously sealed tight. You will probably see the thermostat by now. If there was silicone applied to it previously then scrape it off. About the gasket......i haven't seen it myself but i think it should be in the shape of the enclosure to make a waterproof seal. If you find a gasket already attached, remove and keep it as reference to get a new one.

  19. #1978
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    MoizIrfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dubai
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,960
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    new gaskit is required if u open it. also you have clean the surface of the metal inside to properly seal it again
    I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension...............................Ayrton Senna

  20. #1979
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    cracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,963
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    the temp mark on khyber's thermostat valve is 82C
    REAL men drive manual cars!

  21. #1980
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    DUDE007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    2,034
    Follows
    0
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cracked View Post
    the temp mark on khyber's thermostat valve is 82C
    Well i might have misread it. Thanks for informing.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •