Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Xulfiqar

Thread: Overhauling Suzuki Mehran Distributor

  1. #1
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    ahmed2396's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,320
    Follows
    5
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    7

    Default Overhauling Suzuki Mehran Distributor

    How to overhaul Suzuki Mehran Distributor? My car had some issues with timing sometimes it was advance some time retard, it wasn't stable and had quite play in it so mechanic asked me to change the distributor so i bought one from scarp yard it was same as original one which i had in my car but after installing it, i felt the acceleration response was not good i knew something is wrong with distributor now mechanic says to overhaul carb or put in CDI distributor. I want to ask you guys that by any means i can improve the distributor and how to set the exact ignition timing as local mechanics do it by hands referring to the point of stability in engine. I didn't see distributor in my Corolla Altis 1ZZ-FE. @Xulfiqar @capsat please help me regarding this problem

  2. #2
    PakWheeler Follow
    NiGhTShAdE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    29
    Posts
    917
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Clean the terminals of distributor....change the contactor...installing CDI could give you some more smoothness but its not essential....and lastly make sure that your distributors mechanical vaccum advancer is connected and working(this is very important).
    No you cant remove distributor ...many efi cars have distributor less ignition where ignition timing is directly controlled via ECU....forget about this idea....
    just service/rectify your distributor if problem in distributor related...
    NiGhT ShAdE>>~

  3. #3
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    ahmed2396's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,320
    Follows
    5
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NiGhTShAdE View Post
    Clean the terminals of distributor....change the contactor...installing CDI could give you some more smoothness but its not essential....and lastly make sure that your distributors mechanical vaccum advancer is connected and working(this is very important).
    No you cant remove distributor ...many efi cars have distributor less ignition where ignition timing is directly controlled via ECU....forget about this idea....
    just service/rectify your distributor if problem in distributor related...
    How to verify if mechanical advance is connected and working? And how to check if dwell angle is correct and weights springs are all ok?

  4. #4
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    margallar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    9,957
    Follows
    6
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    first thing is to see whether there is a pipe connected for the timing advance
    haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate

  5. #5
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    ahmed2396's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,320
    Follows
    5
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    7

    Default

    I don't see any pipe going to distributor

  6. #6
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,399
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3985 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    you need to rotate the distributor shaft in normal direction to see if it moves and springs back, if its a bit hard to move and softly comes back you need to overhaul it, remove all top parts and then remove the breaker plate and the top shaft, you will also need to remove the bottom drivegear from the unit which may require a press if its got a solid metal pin in it, make sure to mark the TDC1 point on the distributor when overhauling so you can assemble back exactly the same way it came out.

    once out - clean all parts and apply fresh bearing grease to the shaft and some oil to the weight anchors.

    assemble back and ensure the vacuum pod can hold vacuum - make sure the breaker plate operates a bit stiff - dont wash it in petrol - the grease is very tacky for the plate bearings - wipe it with a piece of lint free towel/paper.

    install back and set breaker heel/cam gap to 0.40mm and retest. Make sure all thin wires are nice and well placed - if they are exposed then replace them. Install new condenser too.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    ahmed2396's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,320
    Follows
    5
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    7

    Default

    Overhauling Suzuki Mehran Distributor -1467873
    Spark Plugs after 12000km of running, these are Denso W16-EXU, how is condition?

  8. #8
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    ahmed2396's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,320
    Follows
    5
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    you need to rotate the distributor shaft in normal direction to see if it moves and springs back, if its a bit hard to move and softly comes back you need to overhaul it, remove all top parts and then remove the breaker plate and the top shaft, you will also need to remove the bottom drivegear from the unit which may require a press if its got a solid metal pin in it, make sure to mark the TDC1 point on the distributor when overhauling so you can assemble back exactly the same way it came out.

    once out - clean all parts and apply fresh bearing grease to the shaft and some oil to the weight anchors.

    assemble back and ensure the vacuum pod can hold vacuum - make sure the breaker plate operates a bit stiff - dont wash it in petrol - the grease is very tacky for the plate bearings - wipe it with a piece of lint free towel/paper.

    install back and set breaker heel/cam gap to 0.40mm and retest. Make sure all thin wires are nice and well placed - if they are exposed then replace them. Install new condenser too.
    Seems a tough job for a newbie like me, can a mechanic do it? But i can check shaft movement.

  9. #9
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    ahmed2396's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,320
    Follows
    5
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    you need to rotate the distributor shaft in normal direction to see if it moves and springs back, if its a bit hard to move and softly comes back you need to overhaul it, remove all top parts and then remove the breaker plate and the top shaft, you will also need to remove the bottom drivegear from the unit which may require a press if its got a solid metal pin in it, make sure to mark the TDC1 point on the distributor when overhauling so you can assemble back exactly the same way it came out.

    once out - clean all parts and apply fresh bearing grease to the shaft and some oil to the weight anchors.

    assemble back and ensure the vacuum pod can hold vacuum - make sure the breaker plate operates a bit stiff - dont wash it in petrol - the grease is very tacky for the plate bearings - wipe it with a piece of lint free towel/paper.

    install back and set breaker heel/cam gap to 0.40mm and retest. Make sure all thin wires are nice and well placed - if they are exposed then replace them. Install new condenser too.
    This grease is lying in my garage can i use this?
    Overhauling Suzuki Mehran Distributor -1467876

  10. #10
    PakWheeler Follow
    NiGhTShAdE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    29
    Posts
    917
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedraja1996 View Post
    How to verify if mechanical advance is connected and working? And how to check if dwell angle is correct and weights springs are all ok?
    Firstly there should be a pipe connected from intake manifold to vaccum advancer.....if there isnt connect it....i'll try uploading its pics...
    NiGhT ShAdE>>~

  11. #11
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    margallar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    9,957
    Follows
    6
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    That greaae will work great
    haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate

  12. #12
    Newbie Follow
    mandvia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

    Default

    Dear Xulfiqar Bhai,

    Kindly let me know the best mechanic for Mehran-1998 model and if you don't mind your contact details because I am totally raw in this field. Awaiting your prompt reply. Thanks and Best Regards.

  13. #13
    Newbie Follow
    mandvia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

    Default

    Dear Xulfiqar Bhai,

    Kindly let me know the best Mechanic for Mehran (1998 Model), I shall very thankful to you and if you don't mind can I have your contact details. Awaiting your prompt reply, Regards. Nadeem Farooq

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •