Default Toyota Corolla Altis OR Honda Civic Oriel

I have a choice to select either of these cars:

- Toyota Corolla Altis, Manual Transmission (without SR)----*16,99,000/-
    - Honda Civic VTi Oriel, Manual Transmission (With SR)------*17,59,000/-

I'd like feedback on these features/concerns:

- Resale ?
    - Fuel consumption ?
    - Parts & Maintenance ?
    - Is 1.8L engine worth the difference (already driving 1.3L Xli) ?
    - Is Auto transmission and sun-roof extra spending worth it ?

(*as of March,2010)

Many Thanks for the advice.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yeh bhee koi poochne kee baat hai.. ankhain band karo aur Civic Lay lo

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ all:

Let's ignore factors like Maintenance, Fuel consumption and fancy features which do not payback later, like Sun-roof, etc. at this price tag.

Now, I notice CIVIC remains to be the choice among masses and AUTOMATIC is for added driving luxury. But, call it a myth or reality - a car like CIVIC Reborn is not a quick reseller due to "supposedly" expensive maintenance, major face lifts between models, and at such a high price tag (used reborn) peoples reluctance to go for new car then old one.

Don't just suggest CIVIC merely on brand (or ownership but, where it excels from Altis in real way ?

At least, a 1.8L, Automatic is now confirmed !

Many Thanks for continued input.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

you gotta know this for sure that honda vti orel manual transmission with sr is the most stunning car in the world. Toyota altis is over priced and is not good value for money.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guys you are comparing two totally different cars. Civic and Altis have nothing in common except the 1.8L engine. Both cars were designed differently keeping in a totally different class of people in mind.
    Speed, Stability and Comfort are all indirectly proportional to each other. If you require speed and stability, you will have to compromise on comfort (so is the case with Civics). The Civics are built sporty and have better acceleration and stability yet they are not very comfortable to drive.
    I have driven both the Civic and the Altis and there is a big difference in the drive of both. The Altis has hot a much better suspension and shocks and the drive is more like “floating in air” as compared to the Civic because the Civic has stiffer suspension. You feel all the bumps in the Civic and the corolla just glides over the bumps.
    The civic has a greater low end torque and acceleration as compared to the Corolla which has a greater high end torque. Due to lesser low end torque and acceleration, the Corolla has better fuel consumption as compared to the Civic. The seats of the Altis are much more comfortable as compared to Civic.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tazmac View Post
    Guys you are comparing two totally different cars. Civic and Altis have nothing in common except the 1.8L engine. Both cars were designed differently keeping in a totally different class of people in mind.
    Speed, Stability and Comfort are all indirectly proportional to each other. If you require speed and stability, you will have to compromise on comfort (so is the case with Civics). The Civics are built sporty and have better acceleration and stability yet they are not very comfortable to drive.
    I have driven both the Civic and the Altis and there is a big difference in the drive of both. The Altis has hot a much better suspension and shocks and the drive is more like “floating in air” as compared to the Civic because the Civic has stiffer suspension. You feel all the bumps in the Civic and the corolla just glides over the bumps.

it cud not have been put better than this. really u have portrayed the exact picture of the these two cars.

@MK,
    bhai the cost of maintenance of both the cars are same so keep that factor aside.
    now just get this thing in ur mind that civic and corolla both are meant to cater seperate sets of ppl although in pakistan they both are put together in the same league.

@MK,
    bhai i opologise to u in advance if im being rude here, if ur thinking that much b4 going for any1 of these then im afraid bhai these cars are not for u. my cousin was going thru this some ago and i advice him to get himself something if hes all the time thinking abt resale,maintanence, parts,drive comparisons and all that.

why don't u just to go the the showrooms and try out both the cars and then make up ur mind. (not honda or toyota showrooms) go to those ones which have second hand cars they might let u have a drive of the cars

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Altis 130Hp
    Civic 140Hp

Altis is auto 4 gears
    Civic is auto 5 gears.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

but, where it excels from Altis in real way ?
    Park the cars side by side and compare the interior build quality (amongst other things) you'll see the clear winner:

- Civic has 2 airbags vs 1 in the Altis

- Civic has power folding side mirrors

- Civic has an immobilizer anti theft system

- Civic has a double wishbone rear suspension

- Civic has better road grip and over all ride comfort

- Civic has supportive bucket seats vs benches in the Altis which you can literally fly off

- Civic's driver seat is height adjustable unlike the fixed seat of Altis

- Civic has 5 gears opposed to 4 in the Altis

- Civic has 140HP vs 130HP in the Altis.

- Civic has a better quality headliner

- Civic has map lights in the rear (if you really care about reading in the back seat)

- Civic's dashboard looks better, feels better any day not to mention the dash integrated audio system is very nice

- Vti Oriel comes with integrated fog lights

I'm probably missing a few things but these are just off the top of my head.
    ProSpeed Imports -- www.prospeedimports.com -- Car parts direct from USA, Japan & Europe to your doorstep! Email us at special.requests@prospeedimports.com. Don't forget to ask about our special car wrapping, change the color of your car without changing the paint ;-)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Cylestyne View Post
    Park the cars side by side and compare the interior build quality (amongst other things) you'll see the clear winner:

- Civic has supportive bucket seats vs benches in the Altis which you can literally fly off

- Civic has map lights in the rear (if you really care about reading in the back seat)
    Just to correct you

1)Altis is more comfortable and has a better suspension (practically and not talking about on paper)

2)Once again Ive found Altis to be a little more comfortable. Road grip is definitely better in case of Altis. I feel more comfortable doing 100 in my altis than in my civic

3)Dont know what you are trying to say but I havn't experience any such thing. Altis has leather seats vs 'high quality tricott fabric" for vti oriel

4)Altis also has these back lights

I own both Altis 1.8S/R Cruisetronic and Civic Vti Oriel Prosmatec. Both are great cars and have their pros and cons. The perfect car for any one depends upon his requirements.

I also agree with what tazmac has to say.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

- Civic's dashboard looks better, feels better any day not to mention the dash integrated audio system is very nice

BUSS ab or kuch bi batana ki zarorrat hai kaya, very nicely compared.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1)Altis is more comfortable and has a better suspension (practically and not talking about on paper)
    On a smooth road this is the exact opposite. You're probably talking about broken roads on which altis might be better. And better suspension? Thats just wrong; the suspension doesnt even cost 1/4th of what a wishbone does; cost is not the factor its the design element. The civic practically HUGS the road at high speeds where as the altis feels dangerous.

2)Once again Ive found Altis to be a little more comfortable. Road grip is definitely better in case of Altis. I feel more comfortable doing 100 in my altis than in my civic
    Pretty much everyone will disagree with you. The EPS system on the Altis is poorly designed to say the least. The car feels dangerous at high speeds and unstable.

3)Dont know what you are trying to say but I havn't experience any such thing. Altis has leather seats vs 'high quality tricott fabric" for vti oriel
    Google bucket seats and understand it.

4)Altis also has these back seats
    Altis does not have individual map lights in the rear.
    ProSpeed Imports -- www.prospeedimports.com -- Car parts direct from USA, Japan & Europe to your doorstep! Email us at special.requests@prospeedimports.com. Don't forget to ask about our special car wrapping, change the color of your car without changing the paint ;-)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

now if tp comes up again with some other issues then it's better that he stay away from civic

@cylestyne,
    wow and now thats an awesome review and civic 1.8 l comes with a brandnew engine whereas corolla has got the same old altis's engine.

On a smooth road this is the exact opposite. You're probably talking about broken roads on which altis might be better. And better suspension? Thats just wrong; the suspension doesnt even cost 1/4th of what a wishbone does; cost is not the factor its the design element. The civic practically HUGS the road at high speeds where as the altis feels dangerous.

Pretty much everyone will disagree with you. The EPS system on the Altis is poorly designed to say the least. The car feels dangerous at high speeds and unstable.

hahahaha now again it's nicely put together and that seat part was hillarious

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Once again I said 'practically' and not on paper. And no I am not talking about broken roads but fully carpeted roads. Both my cars are new and I would never ever subject them to any mistreatment. Civic has a very stiff suspension and I feel every little bump on the road. This is not the case with Altis

Excuse me? I havn't experienced any such phenomenon. On the contrary I've found altis to be much better on higher speeds. It handles better and it brakes better. Do you have any reviews to back your claim?

I know what bucket seats are and these seats are not meant for passenger cars. Passenger cars should have comfortable seats and Altis has leather seats which give a luxurious feeling.

I stand corrected. Altis does not have these map lights.

While we are at this comparison

1)Atlis has a better instrument panel showing which door is open or whether the trunk is open

2)Altis has cruise control (top of the line version)

3)Factory fitted sound system is better in Altis. Moreover it is easier to install any sound system of your choice compared to civic due to the dash board of civic (Once again talking about top of the line version). Please do not say that civics dash board can be changed. Thats a hassle and it costs

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Once again I said 'practically' and not on paper. And no I am not talking about broken roads but fully carpeted roads. Both my cars are new and I would never ever subject them to any mistreatment. Civic has a very stiff suspension and I feel every little bump on the road. This is not the case with Altis
    The stiff suspension contributes to better handling around the corners. Try taking a turn at 100km/h on your Altis and see where it lands you lol.

Excuse me? I havn't experienced any such phenomenon. On the contrary I've found altis to be much better on higher speeds. It handles better and it brakes better. Do you have any reviews to back your claim?
    I don't need reviews for this. I've driven both, so I know what I'm talking about.

Oh and since you asked for a review; here's what a light bit of googling turned up amongst dozens others:

2009 Corolla Le - Very Poor Gas Milage And Suspension - Corolland Forums

Thats a US built corolla, far better than the rubbish we get here.

I know what bucket seats are and these seats are not meant for passenger cars. Passenger cars should have comfortable seats and Altis has leather seats which give a luxurious feeling.
    Clearly you have no idea about luxurious feeling lol:

a) the leather in the Corolla is a synthetic blend of leather, its not genuine leather. Now you're probably gonna say I have no idea, but I can tell you how I know:
    - compare it to the leather on the 2005 Vti Oriels (which use actual leather), then you'll understand what real leather feels like.
    - compare it to better cars, like Accord, a BMW 3 series, then you'll understand what imported leather feels like.

How do I know its synthetic? Take your car to any leather upholsterer and he will shed light on the matter. especially when you take the cover off the seat and see the underside, lol.

b) I can name a bunch of luxury cars which only come with bucket seats

1)Atlis has a better instrument panel showing which door is open or whether the trunk is open
    The cluster is typical Toyota, nothing impressive. The door indicator is a good feature though. Also keep in mind the Corolla came almost 3 years after the Civic. Good that they could provide ATLEAST that while missing out on all the essentials like safety (airbags, immobilizer etc)

2)Altis has cruise control (top of the line version)
    Cruise control is installable in the Civic; mine has it.

3)Factory fitted sound system is better in Altis. Moreover it is easier to install any sound system of your choice compared to civic due to the dash board of civic (Once again talking about top of the line version). Please do not say that civics dash board can be changed. Thats a hassle and it costs
    Sound is subjective, the factory woofers on the Civic pump out bass like anything (although they're mediocre quality when speaking from a audiophile perspecive).

The sound quality on the Civic is better; the pioneer on the Corolla sounds like your typical pioneer, muffled mid ranges.

And lastly, the din panel on the Civic is changeable-- it just costs money.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^the only thing i can say here is that maybe the civic u got is a faulty one.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The stiff suspension contributes to better handling around the corners. Try taking a turn at 100km/h on your Altis and see where it lands you lol.
    Correct but are we racing on tracks here now? The suspension of corolla perfectly handles the routine turns on highways and while accelerating on normal city roads.

I don't need reviews for this. I've driven both, so I know what I'm talking about.

Oh and since you asked for a review; here's what a light bit of googling turned up amongst dozens others:

2009 Corolla Le - Very Poor Gas Milage And Suspension - Corolland Forums

Thats a US built corolla, far better than the rubbish we get here.
    You have driven both(while owning a civic) and I own both. Clearly that alone should be enough to tell who has an impartial view.

Clearly you have no idea about luxurious feeling lol:

a) the leather in the Corolla is a synthetic blend of leather, its not genuine leather. Now you're probably gonna say I have no idea, but I can tell you how I know:
    - compare it to the leather on the 2005 Vti Oriels (which use actual leather), then you'll understand what real leather feels like.
    - compare it to better cars, like Accord, a BMW 3 series, then you'll understand what imported leather feels like.

How do I know its synthetic? Take your car to any leather upholsterer and he will shed light on the matter. especially when you take the cover off the seat and see the underside, lol.

b) I can name a bunch of luxury cars which only come with bucket seats
    This synthetic leather still feels MUCH better than the tricott on the civic
    On the bucket seats, all Ill say is that sit it one for a 10 hour journey and then we will see whether they still feel better.

Cruise control is installable in the Civic; mine has it.

And lastly, the din panel on the Civic is changeable-- it just costs money.
    Come on! This way everything is installable in any car. We are talking about factory spec cars and Civic lacks in this department.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 309 View Post
    ^^the only thing i can say here is that maybe the civic u got is a faulty one.
    @309

I bought 2 vti oriel pros. If both are faulty then I must be the unluckiest guy on earth and deserve it

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Correct but are we racing on tracks here now? The suspension of corolla perfectly handles the routine turns on highways and while accelerating on normal city roads.
    Doesnt matter, the Corolla's drive is about as pleasurable as an onion.

You have driven both(while owning a civic) and I own both. Clearly that alone should be enough to tell who has an impartial view.
    Clearly not impartial, your judgment is just focused on a non technical analysis and argument based on what you *think* is right. You are entitled to your opinion but bear in mind all the facts I've brought up are indeed facts, keep in view the recent Toyota recalls and also the complaints on dozens of corolla forums.

This synthetic leather still feels MUCH better than the tricott on the civic
    On the bucket seats, all Ill say is that sit it one for a 10 hour journey and then we will see whether they still feel better.
    Tricott, you must be talking about the base model, the Oriel has a high grade fabric. Its much better suited to our hot climate not to mention very comfortable. If you've been in a non leather equipped Mark 2, Mark X, Accord etc you will notice this is the exact same fabric.

Leather is just not meant for our country-- true leather gets extremely hot; I can assure you of that as my other cars equipped with factory fitted (genuine) leather become unbearable on a normal Karachi sunny day. I can only image what would happen in Lahore's heat.

We are talking about factory spec cars and Civic lacks in this department.
    Mine is a factory spec cruise control. The car already has the cruise control, just no switch. You know why? Because its not really suitable for our country-- but see the next iteration of the Civic due at the end of this year, Atlas will offer CC.

Here's a picture incase you have a hard time believing about "Factory spec":

Toyota Corolla Altis OR Honda Civic Oriel - 88attach

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

anyways cylestyne has already mentioned the differences b/w both the cars in quite a detail so it's better to leave it here and let the tp decide himself. why are we fighting over it

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^ as far as I'm concerned, lets put the matter to bed. @mani1, dude your corolla is the most awesome car on planet earth. Peace

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lol I am not fighting

@Cylestyne

The funny thing is that I also love the civic. Corolla is for daily 'home usage' and I drive the civic. I was pointing out what I felt was correct.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

User Tag List