57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Civic 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th Gen Comparison Thread

Lets compare the different generations of Civic.

Despite a few newer models up, many of us still fancy the 5th generation over the 6th, or even 7th generation Civics. This is the thread to shower your inputs based upon experience with any of the Civics you've driven, or owned.

It starts with a few comments posted in a civic for sale thread which I'll be importing, we can continue from there onwards.

The 5th

Civic 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th Gen Comparison Thread - Picture 3571

The 6th

Civic 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th Gen Comparison Thread - civic6thgensilvercoupe5ib

The 7th

Civic 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th Gen Comparison Thread - IMG 9185

The 8th

Civic 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th Gen Comparison Thread - 01

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 309 View Post
    thnx sir jee. i really wish that i also had the 6th gen. civic with me so that i cud park it with these and then takes some really closeup shots of the three generations
    Well we can always take these kinds of shots at PW GTGz.!
    R18 boyz!.....Powered by Honda

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 959 View Post
    @badar7

Sir there is a lot of difference both in subjective and quantitative terms.

At least 2 seconds flat from 0-100km/hr on manual, if you want the numbers.

A VTI PROSMATEC can easily beat a Manual EXI no matter how good it is, in condition and how good are you in shifting the clutch.

Otherwise a VTI Manual on CNG can keep up with EXI PROSMATEC on Petrol.

The power difference will be very visible once you have passed the 150km/hr barrier.

The best part is that VTI 7th gen has ABS on all 4 corners and bigger tires with EBD to deaccelerate you safely.

Correct me if I am wrong, if you can buy any VTI up to 2006, the 1.8 has the most acceleration and shortest time from 0-100km/hr but the Eagle Eye Civic is easier to control and handle.

So I would suggest, you go for the 04-06 Eagle Eye Hardtop manual, but a oriel or PROSMATEC is also good if its in better condition then the hardtop as some people drives VTI roughly.

Regards
    1) Pre 8th generation civics never offered EBD atleast in Pakistan. We have kept all the models and trims.

2) And i thought Civic 1.8 is more controllable due to its larger wheelbase along with EBD and wider tyres (i.e. 205 or 215). Please elaborte how 7th generation is more controlable.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@airomerix

Go for 2006 1.8 ivtec manual if you want to talk about speed and accleration.
    Speed and acceleration only in straight line.

1) Pre 8th generation civics never offered EBD atleast in Pakistan. We have kept all the models and trims.
    Are you sure?, you can read your owner's manual again to confirm.

2) And i thought Civic 1.8 is more controllable due to its larger wheelbase along with EBD and wider tyres (i.e. 205 or 215). Please elaborte how 7th generation is more controlable.
    Sir large wheelbases are for big cars with more room, small wheelbase is good for handling (generally), extreme example can be taken by comparing a Civic with Accord, Civic is much nimble and direct.

You have missed that new Civic has also a much lower center of gravity and bigger rotors and calipers for brakes.

But these things cannot hide the fact that its a big and heavy car with less steering feel and inferior visibility, bigger tires will also add up to weight on all 4 corners and they cannot do miracles alone.

Regards
    Readers are Leaders.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@airomerix

Speed and acceleration only in straight line.

Are you sure?, you can read your owner's manual again to confirm.

Sir large wheelbases are for big cars with more room, small wheelbase is good for handling (generally), extreme example can be taken by comparing a Civic with Accord, Civic is much nimble and direct.

You have missed that new Civic has also a much lower center of gravity and bigger rotors and calipers for brakes.

But these things cannot hide the fact that its a big and heavy car with less steering feel and inferior visibility, bigger tires will also add up to weight on all 4 corners and they cannot do miracles alone.

Regards
    Well atleast if you own one you can scan that EBD page from owners manual and paste it here as we have been selling all the Vti'z to get the sucessor model.

And iam sorry i beg to differ. Larger car donnot means it will be less controlable. Accord? Have you ever driven one? Try turning it sharply and iam sure it wont rotoate or anything unlike smaller cars.

Lower center of gravity, thats a plus point! Atleast i wont roll up even if i apply E brake on 100 unlike 7th generation which will happily do that. 6th Generation is still on par with 8th generation when it comes to stability!

Rotors and Calipers donnot have anything to do with stability on highspeeds.

Heavy car? Steering wheel? This is not Corolla here we are talking about whose EPS is feelingless. Infact the HPS of Civic 8G gives excellent feedback of the road and as for poor road clearence its all about getting used to it.

As for tyres, you are blaming tyres to add weight rather you should accept the fact that wider tyres prevent rolling.

In a nutshell, Its like you are saying that a S320 is more stable on highspeeds then an S65 AMG just because the latter is lighter and all.

Regards

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@daniyalahmad

Sir that was a D16w9 with a 3 stage VTEC and not a VTEC E like D15Z series or the 12/16v L15 VTEC of Steermatic which are for fuel economy.

Regards
    Readers are Leaders.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@airomerix

Well atleast if you own one you can scan that EBD page from owners manual and paste it here as we have been selling all the Vti'z to get the sucessor model.

And iam sorry i beg to differ. Larger car donnot means it will be less controlable. Accord? Have you ever driven one? Try turning it sharply and iam sure it wont rotoate or anything unlike smaller cars.

Lower center of gravity, thats a plus point! Atleast i wont roll up even if i apply E brake on 100 unlike 7th generation which will happily do that. 6th Generation is still on par with 8th generation when it comes to stability!

Rotors and Calipers donnot have anything to do with stability on highspeeds.

Heavy car? Steering wheel? This is not Corolla here we are talking about whose EPS is feelingless. Infact the HPS of Civic 8G gives excellent feedback of the road and as for poor road clearence its all about getting used to it.

As for tyres, you are blaming tyres to add weight rather you should accept the fact that wider tyres prevent rolling.

In a nutshell, Its like you are saying that a S320 is more stable on highspeeds then an S65 AMG just because the latter is lighter and all.

Regards
    Sir I do not have to prove or scan anything to you that what I have driven or not, you have absolutely no idea what I have driven nor I am a show off .

The 7th Gen VTI have EBD.

The Accord will role like a big elephant ( in comparison to an Eagle Eye VTI) if you will try to take a deep curve on high speed and not everyone has the courage to do so, its a 190ft + car and no one can defeat the laws of physics, not even the engineering team of Accord.

Its off topic but S320 drives better then Accord, because of its expensive engineering and suspensions despite of being much bigger and heavier.

Even a Cultus will not roll up if you will apply Emergency brakes on 100km/hr, if the brake distribution is equal, lower center of gravity is to hide the weight of car and resist body roll which in return results in a harsh ride quality (with stock tires).

Those big Eurostars are not semi slicks and they are just to compensate the bigger size of car, instead of shortening 10s from lap time.

Eagle Eye Civic has much feel some and heavy steering and it is 4 spoke.

7th Gen Civic has better brake pedal feel and less stopping distance then 8th gen.

Rotors and calipers will stop you in less distance and its part of handling.

You cannot refer a 7th gen Civic as S320 and 8th gen as S65AMG.

All I was saying that the smaller and lighter Civic has better handling.

Regards
    Readers are Leaders.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@airomerix

Sir I do not have to prove or scan anything to you that what I have driven or not, you have absolutely no idea what I have driven nor I am a show off .

The 7th Gen VTI have EBD.

The Accord will role like a big elephant ( in comparison to an Eagle Eye VTI) if you will try to take a deep curve on high speed and not everyone has the courage to do so, its a 190ft + car and no one can defeat the laws of physics, not even the engineering team of Accord.

Its off topic but S320 drives better then Accord, because of its expensive engineering and suspensions despite of being much bigger and heavier.

Even a Cultus will not roll up if you will apply Emergency brakes on 100km/hr, if the brake distribution is equal, lower center of gravity is to hide the weight of car and resist body roll which in return results in a harsh ride quality (with stock tires).

Those big Eurostars are not semi slicks and they are just to compensate the bigger size of car, instead of shortening 10s from lap time.

Eagle Eye Civic has much feel some and heavy steering and it is 4 spoke.

7th Gen Civic has better brake pedal feel and less stopping distance then 8th gen.

Rotors and calipers will stop you in less distance and its part of handling.

You cannot refer a 7th gen Civic as S320 and 8th gen as S65AMG.

All I was saying that the smaller and lighter Civic has better handling.

Regards
    1) You took it wrong, i was saying IF YOU KEEP A EAGLE EYE then you shouldnt have any problem in scanning that page from its manual. No?

2) Accord will roll? Every car can roll but at a certain speed. Long wheel base models are LESS LIKELY to roll then their smaller wheelbase counterparts. That is S65 comes in longer wheel base since it supports a bigger engine.

3) Cultus will not roll up...Yes it wouldnt roll as quickly as Santro since "the center of gravity FACTOR" And same is applied here.

4)Okay so civic 8G brakes are not good as compared to 7th generation? First of all i dont know from where you HEARD it.
    Ofcorse in 8G the EBD has a role to play but in 7 genretion the ABS is the only external aid but it doesnt mean 8G is inferior. the difference is, 8G will happily stop on wet surfaces and 7th generation wouldnt.

5) LOL so you mean 3 spoke steering is somewhat inferior to 4 spoke? hehe then i think the ferrari/Aston martin/BMW M5/M5/M3 and Buggati's have a very big draw back of having a 3 spoke steering. As for as i know, the 4 spoke steering is somewhat a luxuary type where as 3 spoke steering has a sporty feeling and handling.

6) Again ill say, being lighter or smaller doesnt means good handling. See the topgears season 10, init they test the Golf GTi and the only complain was, its a dinky with sheer power and less weight thus it was uncontrolable......it used to roll whenever they tried to attempt some power slides.

Lastly, I would recommend you to buy a used 8G civic and taste it. You'll love and never regret. Just like we have never regretted buying it after 7th generation Vti Prosmatec. its a wholely different car which keeps you awake with a thrill of getting overspeeded without intentions.

Regards

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@959,
    although i don't want to tell u something as u seem to know quite alot abt cars but here u are wrong abt few things. the brakes of the 8th gen. civic are far more superior to those of the 7th gen. i have both cars currently so yeah i know it vert well. and abt the body roll the 8th gen. civic has far less body roll than the 7th gen. either u believe me or not in that case u gotta keep both cars and drive them for a long time to make unbias comparision. although the 8th gen. civic does not have a eps still the steering wheel is very responsive and at highspeeds it doesn't scare u unlike what u can feel in the new Altis. hehe and u tlak abt accord, sir u need first keep all these three at a same time and drive them for a certain time b4 u start commenting on the handling and other stuff abt these cars. in the end i wud like to apologise to u, i in no way want to teach u something or prove u something as u urself seem to be quite knowledgeable abt cars. peace btw we have been buying only civics from year 1999 and had kept each n every model of civic u name it since then and also had accord cl9 for abt 4-5 months.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@309

although i don't want to tell u something as u seem to know quite alot abt cars but here u are wrong abt few things. the brakes of the 8th gen. civic are far more superior to those of the 7th gen. i have both cars currently so yeah i know it vert well. and abt the body roll the 8th gen. civic has far less body roll than the 7th gen. either u believe me or not in that case u gotta keep both cars and drive them for a long time to make unbias comparision. although the 8th gen. civic does not have a eps still the steering wheel is very responsive and at highspeeds it doesn't scare u unlike what u can feel in the new Altis. hehe and u tlak abt accord, sir u need first keep all these three at a same time and drive them for a certain time b4 u start commenting on the handling and other stuff abt these cars. in the end i wud like to apologise to u, i in no way want to teach u something or prove u something as u urself seem to be quite knowledgeable abt cars. peace btw we have been buying only civics from year 1999 and had kept each n every model of civic u name it since then and also had accord cl9 for abt 4-5 months.
    Sir thanks for the info and you are more then welcome, I was refering to new Accord (thailand one).

Even the CL7/CL9 cannot attack corners as Civic does (any Civic).

I have driven an Acura RSX, Civic Si, EX (7th gen) and 8th gen Civic EX on a racetrack, slalom and skidpad.

Never driven the 8th gen local Civic extensively here, my office colleagues have company cars and I got the chance to drive some. (nor I have the courage to drive a near 2M car in Karachi city traffic), but my educated guess is that it cannot be superior then USDM.

The new Civic has surely more direct steering but it does not have the communication of old one, in an old VTI the owner can easily tell you the speed and surface on which he is driving, while the new one is totally isolated from the road.

Stopping time of my 7th gen Civic was 60-0mph, the EBD was working on both cars, 130ft compare to 128ft of 8th gen Civic, on 4th lap the time was 139ft for 7th gen and 142 for 8th gen and 8th gen ABS were making noise (it was not a faulty car).

If you put 8 cones with a 6 feet difference and then test the cornering stability, you will easily know which one is better.

On an ending note maybe our driving styles are different but Civic has lost its agility and you can feel that at the moment you will drive a Mazda or VW.

Regards
    Readers are Leaders.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@309

Sir thanks for the info and you are more then welcome, I was refering to new Accord (thailand one).

Even the CL7/CL9 cannot attack corners as Civic does (any Civic).

I have driven an Acura RSX, Civic Si, EX (7th gen) and 8th gen Civic EX on a racetrack, slalom and skidpad.

Never driven the 8th gen local Civic extensively here, my office colleagues have company cars and I got the chance to drive some. (nor I have the courage to drive a near 2M car in Karachi city traffic), but my educated guess is that it cannot be superior then USDM.

The new Civic has surely more direct steering but it does not have the communication of old one, in an old VTI the owner can easily tell you the speed and surface on which he is driving, while the new one is totally isolated from the road.

Stopping time of my 7th gen Civic was 60-0mph, the EBD was working on both cars, 130ft compare to 128ft of 8th gen Civic, on 4th lap the time was 139ft for 7th gen and 142 for 8th gen and 8th gen ABS were making noise (it was not a faulty car).

If you put 8 cones with a 6 feet difference and then test the cornering stability, you will easily know which one is better.

On an ending note maybe our driving styles are different but Civic has lost its agility and you can feel that at the moment you will drive a Mazda or VW.

Regards
    No doubt your experiences are mindblowing as i never drove on race tracks with all those cones and stopwatches and iam sure it would be fun along with some serious experience.

But i want to convey the same message which 309 has said.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 309 View Post
    @959,

Well said. Can you confirm about the presence of EBD in Eagle Eye. Cuz we kept a VTi and Exi for 3 (2004-2007 years but never heard of it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What do we all here mean by handling and better suspension? While day to day driving, any kind of suspension would suffice yet when it comes to take it to the limits, I think 6th gen civic has no match. I have seen it in real life not once but many times. Yes its suspension is more prone to repair because of double wish bones having rubber bushings yet it doesn't mean that simply struts are better than that because then corolla's danda in the name of a stabilizer bar is far better.
    When it comes to better fuel mileage, engines having more displacement have a better ratio of fuel economy if driven sensibly because of a simply reason i.e they don't need to pull much in order to reach a speed like 100 kph and to maintain it, the effort is even lesser. My mate's holden v6 gives almost the same economy than his 1.8 corolla. Also if you look at accord CL9 and the likes of mark x, don't look at how many kpl do they give, one should look at how the ratio between displacement and fuel economy changes.
    About luxury, one has to admit that 8th gen is the best and it should be the best.
    Braking: Only if 6th had ABS, it would match 7th gen's bakes anytime.
    When it comes to looks, 6th gen. without even the slightest of doubt. Them cars don't look that good now a days because they are old and in Pakistan, the cars really have to take a toll on their exterior (Well! Pretty much everything). Get a 6th gen painted black or navy blue etc. with slight mods and no car in Pakistan matches it looks (even if 6th gen. is stock). The back of 6th gen. is the best amongst all civics to date. Has anyone ever experienced a black 6th gen. standing at night with its back lights lit? I think most of us have; so how about that look, especially if its black? The front with crystal lights looks amazing too.
    The interior of 6th gen. is a bit dull yet if someone affords a really good leather trim, it would look fabulous. Having a black interior doesn't mean its not good. A little work and it would look like the best out there.
    The interior of 7th gen. is marvelous, especially its needles and beige dash which gives a soothing feeling.
    The interior of 8th gen. has to be the best.
    Abhi inn comments pe zara larai ho le to phir baqi deta hoon

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

but my educated guess is that it cannot be superior then USDM.
    Considering our chassis is japan built and the rear sway bar also stiffer, I don't see how the USDM is superior.
    ProSpeed Imports -- www.prospeedimports.com -- Car parts direct from USA, Japan & Europe to your doorstep! Email us at special.requests@prospeedimports.com. Don't forget to ask about our special car wrapping, change the color of your car without changing the paint ;-)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Cylestyne View Post
    Considering our chassis is japan built and the rear sway bar also stiffer, I don't see how the USDM is superior.
    better suspension?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@959, bro your knowledge about cars exceeds mine by miles but when it comes to Honda, i think i know a thing or two n what im dead sure about is that the 7th GEN civic did NOT have EBD, it only had ABS. it didnt even have Brake Assist like the new city! u can confirm it from ur owners manual