122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Maintaining a Merc or BMW

I've always yearned to keep a BMW or Merc, with a budget of under 1 million the models that I'll get would obviously be of 90s. The main hinderance in the purchase has always been maintenance and running costs plus resale.

Obviously resale is dependant on purchase price plus buyers available, so that is not a constant factor but other two issues are generally acknowledged as if these cars are "White Elephants", I request the owners and/or others having knowledge to please share some intricate details for dying fans like myself.

"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/mis...s-c-class-w202
    thats goes for the w202.

In my eyes BMW E36 mostly found in 1.8 variant is not worth to buy it has too much heating issues.

And for under one million you cant even get 90 models .(considering a well kept ride.)

89 W124 E class will come around 8 to 9 lacks.
    190E also same.

But key is buying a good conditioned car which will eventually take less cost to maintain

So as per me you are only LEFT with two options what is a W202 class avg condition will cost you around 11 lacks.

As i have seen a very excellent condition one is had to find and if found they are manual transmission.

About maintaining NOW of course you will not take your car to shahnawaz because of the cost factor.
    So as per my estimates a W202 will cost you as much as maintaining a NEW civic from authorized dealer.

NOW coming toward problems i have No idea regarding that.
    RIP

AWK
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have had a 2004 C270 CDI and surprisingly the runing cost was lower than Accord.....parts are easily available and dont need often replacement mechanically.....the only issue that you can expect from an old german car is electrics......

Try to get a model with less fancy electric gagdets and sound engine and suspension

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

agreed...they dont need regular maintainance ...i mean keep the running maintainance going as in oil changes etc ....rest they hardly need anything
    but if a problem starts arising..it can get pretty expensive ..although parts dont need replacement often but when they do they are little expensive..

btw the older are far more reliable.....and aint that expensive to maintain..if its in good condition...then maintance of reborn and mb or bimmer is almost same

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Smuggled Mercedes parts are available in good quantity in Peshawar. Not sure about BMW's parts.
    '73 Corona MarkII...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@all above : thanks for your valued comments, atleast i'm somewhat getting out of that white elephant euphoria.

Continuing with my querries :
    For BMW i'll opt for 3 series, have a 1600 or 1800 cc engine being less heavy on fuel. Mostly cars sold are in good condition. Models in my budget may be available upto 1998 and a total mileage of 100k. Mostly are manual. Now the big question is:

Is it a car worth the price or merc is more prefferable?
    Can i run either of the 2 on CNG?
    With a mileage of 100k do u think these cars have hardly covered their 1/3rd or 1/4th of life?
    Comparing with a similar model Accord, is there a huge differnce in driving pleasure? I've driven 2005 Crown and believe me i never wanted to get out of it, my almost new vitz drives like a toy in comparison with crown.
    "You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 1982 mb w123 300d

I can speak for the W123 as I am currently driving one. The myth in PK regarding them being expensive to maintain surprisingly is untrue. The key as mentioned above in the previous posts is getting a car that has a sound engine, suspension and lacks the modern electrical gadgetry. As long as you can maintain the regular check ups which include oils and filters you should be able to get along fine. If you feel a problem is occurring get it checked and grab it by the neck asap. Replace with factory specified OEM parts and you just saved your self the hassle experiencing break downs for a good 10 years to come.
    Problems arise and lead to major expenses when sheer negligence comes into the equation with an occurring problem in the case of MBs'.
    Considering your budget I would recommend getting the W124 as it is a very reliable car provided again if you have the patience to find one which is worth the investment.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@AhmedBaig
    thanks a lot for the info.
    I'm getting the picture
    -less electronics less expensive, less maintenance costs.
    - timely repair and no problems

Now the last part

Is it worth the ride and drive
    When you say w124 which year you talk of (under 1 mn)
    what about the Es, Cs, etc series

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

And one of the imp questions what about CNG, or buying a diesel one

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

its just rumor that german metal is expensive to buy and run, mercedes benz are built tough - take it or leave it - they are not all that show-off but rather every little nook and cranny are thought before executed. When repairing them guesses do not work, but hard facts. e.g. Ive seen mechanics throw parts at the jetronic system on a 230E W124 - while the proper way is to measure fuel pressure, residual pressure and set the throttle stop and Wide open switches correctly. I have also seen in Karachi a very reputed shop rebuild the whole 230E engine because it was shorting out its spark plugs, it even shorted them out on a new engine, I fixed that car later on, the real reason was the vacuum modulators on the transmission were leaking and TRANSMISSION fluid was sucked into the manifold causing the oiled and fouled plug. Now who is to blame, mercedes, the parts, or the person fixing it.

Our problems are we go cheap on maintenance, usually ask the mechanic to jugaar something to work, a benz when kept and nurtured properly will work for decades; and when kept like a rat will die young.

I can say the same thing about BMWs, the poster who said that the 1.8 E36 overheats, its a poor state to know that most of our mechanics do not have the patience or know how to burp air from it. It will boil over for sure if you leave air in the system.

As for life - they will perform their duties silently for the next 200 years if kept up with promised maintenance and repairs.

for options - all the 124s had biodegradable wiring harnesses in them - which would have corroded till now, its best to take out the engine harness (easy job) and completely renew them or buy a new wiring and install it. The body harness would be ok as heat does not reach them. But the 124 are surely built solid and very very simply.

the 123 is a very nice almost industrial strength car - if you keep up with maintenance and replacement of parts - your unborn generations will be driving it.

Im driving a W124 E300D here in houston too, I bought it stalled - got it working - blocked exhaust etc. and combed out every flaw it had, rear headrest not working, idle speed control not working, klima unit problems.
    All done by my hand in 2 days armed with a metric tool kit, multimeter, line tester and a vacuum pump with gauge. Nothing was replaced except a few wires and vacuum lines
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Given a choice I will buy any Merc or a Beamer hands down. These cars are reliable with a good reason. To keep these cars needs courage and few have that in Pak when it comes to cars. In Pak you buy a brand new car and take it to a mechanic after registration. Dont tell anything about the car and just ask him to check the vehicle. He will come back with six problems and couple of parts to be replaced. My advice stay away from these mechanics. I have had a BMW 525tds from year 2001, here in the UK we call it X reg. I have driven that car for more than two years and in all those years all I did was change oil after 8000 miles which is roughly more than 12000 kilometers, and poured fuel into the car. If something goes wrong with the car, the car itself does selfchecks, before every ignitions start, and will let you know if something's wrong so much as a fused indicator on the far left side. Long story short, buy a nice and well maintained car, mine had 110000 miles on the odometer when I bought the car and 175000 miles when I sold it more than two years down the line, and sold it with a profit of few hundred quids.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the biggest problem people face is these cars breaking down and this is ALWAYS due to people using incorrect parts or not doign routine maintainance. i'm running an 81 merc which has always been maintained since day1 and till today all i've ever had wa a stuck throttle due to a damaged spring and a leaking brake line due to corrosion (my fault as it was standing in KHI at the time).

however even a low milage car can give problems. a friend bought a W140 off another friend who lives abroad. the car had barely done 20000kms but when the 2nd friend bought it he spent almost 8 lacks on the car as it needed new rubber on almost every part of the car as it had aged and become brittle. however ever since he replaced everything the car has not given him one issue since.

as ahmed and Xulfiqar said, as long as you maintain thenm correctly you'll never have an issue.
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

every one has different opinion about german cars,
    i was always fan of bimmer not of merc(which give you alittle oldie look) so i bought e36 316i 92 model.
    what i did is bought e36 in quite horrible condition in about half the price of what your budget is n then started replacing old parts with new one here in islamabad n few ordered through net, yes thats right it took 5 months of frustation but now for about a year i am driving without any problem.
    Bottom line is german technology is best and no matter in which condition car is, i would say bad condition car is better, coz the parts which you'll be replacing will be new so it'll give a new life to your car.
    I live in islamabad n here i know 4 good mechanics who understands german car, god know how many other are here whom i didnt met.
    Now the total cost on my car is roughly equals the price of '06 cultus, so just imagine which ride i am having in this budget.
    consumption wise its giving me 11km/L in city and 15km/L on motorway.
    BMW ultimate driving machine.
    I love BMW

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If you're going for a Bimmer, at least get a 6 cyl version. Otherwise, stick to the regular Honda/Corolla as lets agree, its more peace of mind when you're driving a car which can be fixed absolutely everywhere and which can be sold on the spot whenever you find another good deal.

The 6 cyl makes you ignore those two major factors whenever you hit the throttle.
    A Post-Wh0re is a user who's only aim in life is to increase his post count. He/she gets off by receiving likes and mentions, and considers his post count a medal on his skinny chest. A post-Wh0re is the human equivalent of Chihuahua..bickering pointlessly, effortlessly, permanently.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Some good advice already offered so i will just add that you must make sure to thoroughly check out the car you are looking to purchase before purchasing it. A used BMW or Mercedes is a gamble (as is any car) but even more so these as these car do require proper maintenance and understanding, something most of our shade tree mechanics have yet to master.

Best bet would be to buy it from a car enthusiast, preferably someone who has had experience in these cars. Do not buy from car dealers as i have seen that most (not all) are as shady as they come and demand huge prices for cars with major faults in it but shiny paint. Get a compression test done on the engine, an engine rebuild with original parts is going to cost a handful. Avoid CNG fitted cars is my personal opinion. God knows that kind of shade tree engineering has been done to them. Check for leaks and suspension noises when driving. A fuel pump new for a E36 BMW is 10K rupees so even routine maintenance items can get pricey. Oil and air filters are not than expensive as our the fluid. Big ticket items like shocks, pumps, pads etc can drain a wallet.

Common fault with BMW's of the 90's sold here in pk is mismatched interior fittings. Avoid a car with tell tale signs of numerous interior misalignment. This means that the interior panels have been repeatedly opened and wiring inside has been messed around with, usually by an electrician who hasn't a clue as to what he is doing which leads to more openings of the panels to rectify previous faults. Buy a car with a solid interior with little or no marks on it when panels have to be removed with screwdrivers. This is common fault i have seen in E36 BMW's but less so with W202's.

Avoid engine swapped cars. Obvious

Make sure interior and exterior trim is intact. Small missing logos or chrome trim parts are a PITA to source at times

Enjoy the experience of a quality german built sedan at an affordable price. Good luck

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Using W202/203/210/126 from last 2 years. No problem so far.

W202 Maintenance.

Oil Change 5.5L - I'm using Mobil 1 in it. 6,500/-. Changed after every 6,000kms - 7,000kms. My car is 35,000kms driven.

Air Filter - 1,800 (Genuine). Change at 3rd Oil Change.

Oil Filter - 700 - 1,000 (depends from where i buy). At every oil change.

Mechanics are easily available other than Shahnawaz.

Things i got changed when i bought car.

Transmission fluid - 17,000.
    Power Steering Fluid - 1,000.
    Engine V-Belt - 3,800.

Only problem my W202 gave me was with AMF (Air Mass Flow) Sensor. My driver washed it's engine with water and AMF Sensor got damaged (Own fault).

Link to my W202 Mercedes Benz C180

Keeping in mind your budget i only shared Maintenance cost of W202. Options you have are W202 (1993 - 1999) & W124 (1988 - 1995). You will get nice W202 60,000kms - 80,000kms between 1,150,000 - 1,250,000 (depending on options & Trim). Make sure you don't get car with after market AC. Car should have noiseless suspension. Full service history will be a cherry on top . Almost every time car driven on Hi-Octanne, only use Premium when Hi-Octanne isn't available. In my opinion best buy will be W124 E280/230. Why, W124 is not computerized that make it's almost zero Maintenance than W202. Options are better Electric seats, Memory seats etc. Driving pleasure is better. And, E280 is better in fuel as compared to W202. Me and my friends once went to Multan on 1994 E280 86,000kms driven and it took around 21 liters of Petrol.

BMW E36 is easily available in your range. Out class condition low mileage BMW E36 will be between 850,000 - 1,000,000 (I hope no one pops up & claiming my price is wrong as i already bought and sold two 1997 BMWs E36 318i, bought for 865,000 & 940,000 both were bought from PakWheels 6 - 10 month back).
    http://www.sohcmydohc.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AOA
    hope u guys r doin good.
    I have a W124 E220 since 2006 im experiencing some problems like.
    RPM fluctuation seams like MAF malfunction as i see black smoke..
    Some electronics like front right window glass some time stop working..
    Seams like problem in control unit under back seat as it got moisture in it..
    Leakage in pipe of hydraulic fluid i have once replaced it but still its leaking..
    As i don't have much time to get it done myself thats y i
    Need a suggestion in finding a good mechanic and electrician in lahore for these works.

Thanx
    -Hamari Apni web site.....PAKWHEELS

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What about heating issues in e90. Access heat coming at driver foot side and it gets very hot quiet often.
    Also looking for software coding cable D+ CAN CABLE and if anyone knows about INSPA /NET CODING

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    349 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

list is very long