Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Moved back after 10 years and need a car...suggestions?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Moved back after 10 years and need a car...suggestions?

Hello everyone,

I just moved back to Karachi after a decade abroad and now I need a car so I can move around easily. A little disclaimer: I'm pretty ignorant about cars. So I'm hoping you guys can give some suggestions and guidance.

My main requirement is that it should have an automatic transmission. Constantly shifting gears will be a pain in Karachi traffic. I think the budget is reasonable and my brother was even suggesting that we could lease the car. Although, I'm not entirely sure whether or not it's even practical to lease a car. What do you all think?

I don't want a sedan and would prefer a small hatchback because once I start work, I'll be frequenting high traffic areas of Saddar etc. and parking will be a problem.

Some friends suggest the Toyota Vitz, some say the Suzuki Swift and one friend was suggesting I should get a 2006 (?) automatic City.

Currently, we have a the new Corolla and an old Vitz, I like the Vitz a lot and wouldn't mind the newer model. I have read on this forum that it has a lot of safety features which the other small cars don't have which is a great thing.

So help me to decide if I should settle for the Vitz or some other hatchback

Also, if I were to purchase a car, what is the best way to go about it? Should I go and get it from one of the car dealers on Khalid Bin Walid road? Should I look at the classified newspaper section? Or should I get it from an official Toyota showroom? I am really clueless.

I also don't know what to look for in a car? If I'm getting a second hand car, how much mileage should I look for? What are some pro-tips you all can give me as a first-time car buyer in Pakistan.

Thanks a lot.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

when buying a japanese orphan car like the toy vitz, be prepared that there would be zero support for it and your only hope is
    1 DIY
    2 trust a local mechanic - nearly all are ill equipped.

e.g. body parts of the Vitz can be a pain to get hands on.

In that case you should consider something locally manufactured, you are bound to get all parts for it and at least some sort of support.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by khurram_aziz View Post
    You were abroad making money?

You should be back with bang...buy Civic Oriel P/T or Altis AT SR...i mean something with all kind of badges on the trunk so that your friends and family can understand you are back after 10 years of making money abroad
    Given the current situation in the city and the high traffic areas I will be travelling to I would rather remain low-key and get a car that's easy to manoeuvre and park.

@Xulfiqar I understand that there won't be much technical support but seeing so many of these cars around the city, I'm sure there are some mechanics now who have familiarised themselves with the car.

Today, someone told me that some car dealers have imported Japanese cars and it turned out that many of the cars were damaged from the recent Tsunami. Is there any truth to this or is it just gossip?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Keeping in mind your preferances, I would have simply told you to buy a Vitz.
    But as already mentioned by @Xulfiqar there is no warranty claim for an imported vehicle.
    Also the parts are difficult to source.
    Moreover the Vitz/Passo you,ll be getting will be already used so it might have more mantainance issues.
    The only option remaining is a Cuore that is available with Auto tranny but is less spacious than Vitz.
    If you think you can manage the above mentioned issues with imports then definetely Toyota Vitz is the best choice.
    One of the most difficult things in the world is to know how to do something, and to watch without comment, somebody else do it incorrectly.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by gunjafarishta View Post
    Given the current situation in the city and the high traffic areas I will be travelling to I would rather remain low-key and get a car that's easy to manoeuvre and park.

@Xulfiqar I understand that there won't be much technical support but seeing so many of these cars around the city, I'm sure there are some mechanics now who have familiarised themselves with the car.

Today, someone told me that some car dealers have imported Japanese cars and it turned out that many of the cars were damaged from the recent Tsunami. Is there any truth to this or is it just gossip?
    Yes, when buying a imported vehicle you have to get it properly checked. Local dealers/importers are importing damaged vehicles because the total costing of the vehicle is quite less as compared to a very clean vehicle with a geniune auction sheet.

Tsunami affected vehicles aren't being imported as much as accidented vehicle but I've personally since alot of flooded Vitz and other Kei cars at workshops in the Defence locality here in Karachi with there carpets still soaked and headlamps still filled with water. Not too mention the damaged electronics.
    - '06 Toyota Belta 1.0L X - '68 VW Beetle 1300 DP - '89 Nissan B12 E16

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hello everyone,

I just moved back to Karachi after a decade abroad and now I need a car so I can move around easily. A little disclaimer: I'm pretty ignorant about cars. So I'm hoping you guys can give some suggestions and guidance.

My main requirement is that it should have an automatic transmission. Constantly shifting gears will be a pain in Karachi traffic. I think the budget is reasonable and my brother was even suggesting that we could lease the car. Although, I'm not entirely sure whether or not it's even practical to lease a car. What do you all think?

I don't want a sedan and would prefer a small hatchback because once I start work, I'll be frequenting high traffic areas of Saddar etc. and parking will be a problem.

Some friends suggest the Toyota Vitz, some say the Suzuki Swift and one friend was suggesting I should get a 2006 (?) automatic City.

Currently, we have a the new Corolla and an old Vitz, I like the Vitz a lot and wouldn't mind the newer model. I have read on this forum that it has a lot of safety features which the other small cars don't have which is a great thing.

So help me to decide if I should settle for the Vitz or some other hatchback

Also, if I were to purchase a car, what is the best way to go about it? Should I go and get it from one of the car dealers on Khalid Bin Walid road? Should I look at the classified newspaper section? Or should I get it from an official Toyota showroom? I am really clueless.

I also don't know what to look for in a car? If I'm getting a second hand car, how much mileage should I look for? What are some pro-tips you all can give me as a first-time car buyer in Pakistan.

Thanks a lot.
    "My main requirement is that it should have an automatic transmission"
    lets assume ur budget in 1.1 million and possible options

Options:

• Coure brand new
    • VITZ 06-08
    • BELTA 1.0 06-08
    • PASSO 06 -09
    • Mira 07 -09
    • Mini Pajero 06-08
    • Terios Kid 06-08

Coure is a nice car very economical on CNG and it would be trouble free for 3-4 years but not comfortable for long drives,cheap spares

VITZ comfy,quality built ,safety features,good on fuel NO CNG Option
    Belta comfy,quality built ,safety features,good on fuel,Sedan NO CNG Option
    Passo comfy,quality built ,safety features,good on fuel,Cheaper NO CNG Option
    Mira comfy,quality built ,saftey features,excellent on fuel,too small,underpowerd NO CNG Option
    Pajero comfy,quality built ,saftey features,very bad on fuel,small SUV ,underpowerd NO CNG Option
    Kid comfy,quality built ,saftey features, avg on fuel,small SUV,better than Mini NO CNG Option

If your usage includes long drives and boot is essential go for Belta
    If your usage includes long drives with limited luggage go for VITZ
    If your usage includes long drives and off road go for Kid
    If your usage includes limited long drives and mostly in city go for Passo
    If your usage is limited in city with short distances go for Mira
    If your usage is limited in city with short distances and saving money is priority go for coure

You already have vitz and corolla therefore i would reckon Passo to be the 1st choice if CNG is must then only option is coure

"should I look at the classified newspaper section"

Best way is to read classifieds in sunday dawn and go for inspection with some one who's expert in identifying condition of the car , dealers are robbers stay away from them
    I'm not entirely sure whether or not it's even practical to lease a car

Never it's haram and u'll be bound to pay amount every month no zahni sakoon

Thanks

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for you replies Vajih102 and Sk_KingpiN

Am I correct in understanding that it's not possible to buy a new Vitz here at all? Since most of them are imported from Japan they will all be used?
    Also can someone give me a price range for the newer Vitz?
    A member once posted his friend's imported Vitz 2011 picstures but i can't seem to find them right now. The price, let me tell you was Rs. 2.9 million.

[QUOTE=gunjafarishta;2969624]Wow. Thanks n0mi_89!

This list is just what I needed! There should be a sticky topic about things to look for when buying a car for noobs like myself! I'll take a print-out of this when I go to check cars. And of course, I'll try to take along some friends to help me.

OmerArshad, a fellow PakWheelian and a car dealer in your city once made created this post:

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/art...uying-used-car

Could please someone give me what sort of price range I should be looking for?
    I see you have been patiently asking the same time and again but none have replied. Have you searched the PakWheels' Used Cars' database? You might like to get in touch with Murtaza Murti, Babar Omar, Omar Arshad or Alta on here PakWheels to get a deeper insight. Murtaza is an extremely helpful person and good boy. Rest are all trusted dealers on this site. Click on the 'Community' tab above and you'll get in touch with them.

Thanks for you replies Vajih102 and Sk_KingpiN
    Wow. Thanks n0mi_89!

This list is just what I needed! .........And thanks to everyone taking time out to reply. I didn't know Pakistani forums are so helpful and active! What a pleasant surprise.
    Yup! A splendid network of friends spread all across the globe indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by alikhan7 View Post
    [I]...................
    I'm not entirely sure whether or not it's even practical to lease a car

Never it's haram and u'll be bound to pay amount every month no zahni sakoon

Thanks
    Your entire reply is superb and informative. I gained a lot. The above mentioned is only to emphasize; yes, stay happy within your limits and away from the tension and sins of leasing.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hello everyone.

Sorry for disappearing for a bit. I was busy travelling around the country meeting family and friends and so was away from home for about a month.

Thank you everyone for their responses which were very helpful. Although, my search for a car is still ongoing.

I went and checked out the new Vitz and as everyone said..the sound of the engine was too much. I felt like I was driving a truck! It will be too bothersome for me...so I decided against the Vitz.

I also drove the Nissan March. It was great from the inside and the drive was not too bad. But I don't like the shape too much.

Japanese Suzuki Swift seems like a good option primarily because they have an automatic transmission. There are a couple of Japanese imports around. Does anyone know what's the deal with those cars? I'm thinking of going for an imported Swift...although I have yet to drive it. Any opinions of guidance?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up

SWIFT is wise choice ride is smooth and comfortable. Car is very stable in terms of handling.

I have used it for few days with 4+1 adults loaded it took off to coastal city of ormara & Gawader hammer head without a kick from 3rd to 2nd and water dripping from silencer. An EFI & most powerful engine in its class. I have seen few JDM SWIFT on Dawood College New Jamshed road Karachi in charming colors which PAK SUZUKI may not launch in next 2 years or ever.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

When I was a kid, remember reading a book by the name of Langda Farishta, which I think also won a UNESCO award. Don;t remember the authors name, but it was a fascinating and must read book.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post
    SWIFT is wise choice ride is smooth and comfortable. Car is very stable in terms of handling.

I have used it for few days with 4+1 adults loaded it took off to coastal city of ormara & Gawader hammer head without a kick from 3rd to 2nd and water dripping from silencer. An EFI & most powerful engine in its class. I have seen few JDM SWIFT on Dawood College New Jamshed road Karachi in charming colors which PAK SUZUKI may not launch in next 2 years or ever.
    So if I opt for a Japanese Swift...which year model should I be looking for?

One of the showrooms had a 2011 Swift with full options and the asking price was ridiculous!! He said the price was 18 lakhs!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

go 4 a brand new car,tension free
    Everybody wants to go to heaven; but nobody wants to die.
    Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Go for a new swift DLX if you can bear the manual transmission. It is an awesome car and you will enjoy its ride.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sdogar View Post
    Go for a new swift DLX if you can bear the manual transmission. It is an awesome car and you will enjoy its ride.
    My main requirement is that it should be an automatic transmission. Which is why I thought I would go for a Japanese imported Swift.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I know you don't want a sedan but what about a compact sedan like the Honda city .And its available in automatic too. Parking shouldn't be much of a problem either.
    You could buy it brand new . Any kind of maintenance is not an issue and pretty much all the basic features are there .
    "The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility. The fact that it is comprehensible is a miracle." (Albert Einstein)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

As much as I would love a brand new Honda City, I'm afraid it might be over my budget which is about 11-12 lakh.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List