0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default A Buyer seeking advice in buying Honda City or Suzuki Swift

Hello Pakwheelers!
    Im new on PW, this is my first post.
    First of all i thank all of you people who know stuff about cars and post here to help people like me, Thumbs up to you guys!
    Now to my dilemma like situation. To start with i am an undergrad student in Lahore. My first car was toyota vitz 2004 refurbished reg. 2007, i used it for two years, loved that car, just had the oil changed on regular And it did fine but had to let go of it because of some reason, and btw i had converted it to CNG and it ran ok on it. Then i used a 2008 cultus EFI for some time, it was ok but never really loved it. Now i am using a 2011 suzuki alto. Well to be short it disappoints me.
    Now i am planning on buying a new car and so i have turned to more experienced guys here at PW. I have two choices now, literally! because my dad has to pay for my car and i have to use my next car for atleast 3 to 4 years so im planning on buying a brand new car, not a refurbished one. The upper limit of my budget is Honda City and after that i am considering Suzuki swift.But since Swift is a hatchback, in that 300 k difference between swift and city i will get a bigger trunk for luggage in case of long travels and a wider seating space.
    Here are my priorities:
    1- The car should be comfortable and have a good driving experience(Important).
    2- As i have already stated i am a student and keeping the car on petrol is not economically feasible for me, the car has to be converted to CNG later after the purchase. So i need to know which car runs better on CNG (City vs Swift)
    3- The resale value should be acceptable as i will have to sale the car one day.
    4- As CNG is only available half the week here in Lahore, my car will have to run on petrol too. So which car gives a better mileage on petrol is also a concern. As per my knowledge, on petrol City has a better mileage than Swift. Correct me if i am wrong.

I have read a couple of very informative threads relating to City and Swift on CNG here on PW forums and what i have understood from them(I am not an experienced guy on this) is that City is a better run on CNG when compared to swift as swift requires a special type of CNG kit(Sequential which costs more) and has other problems like low mileage on CNG. The only problem in City is that the petrol gauge doesnt work on CNG(keeps lowering when car runs on CNG)
    I am looking for some more points like the ones i stated so please help me by your advice.
    One more thing, I know CNG ruins the cars engine by shortening its lifespan or whatever. But that is something i will have to live by, as i have already stated that converting it to CNG is not an option but a compulsion for me. My daily mileage is around 30 to 40 kms, while once or twice a month i go out of town, total distance of going and coming back is around 450 kms on these days.
    Now you know my situation like i do. So please feel free to comment and enlighten me. Thank you.
    Arslan

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

my votes for city ...
    as its a saloon car and looks good too ..
    drive of honda is always better than suzuki ...

swift is also very good car i personally drive it on petrol and really love it ... as its small good handling plus a big engine gives good response ...

.. if money is not a problem then CITY all the way .. works well on CNG my uncle owns it and driving it on CNG since like 25k kms ... good drive ... less power but bearable
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if u were comparing swift with vitz then i will suggest SWIFT to u
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for the advice scorpion.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Answer to your queries

1- The car should be comfortable and have a good driving experience(Important).

Both city and swift are fun to drive.But i personally like swift in terms of handling,brakes and road grip.
    Where as city is more comfy
    But if i would be in your place i'll never buy both cars and try to find unregistered 4.5 grade 08 VITZ 1.3 ltr almost same price of new swift.

2- As i have already stated i am a student and keeping the car on petrol is not economically feasible for me, the car has to be converted to CNG later after the purchase. So i need to know which car runs better on CNG (City vs Swift)

Honestly none of them are designed to run on CNG and I dont know y PPL install CNG when engine is more electronic and only engineered for petrol as source of energy.
    If you are planning to keep car for long time i wouldn't reckon CNG.
    Anyways less issues are recorded for CNG with city ivtec engine as compared to swift DOCH engine.If CNG is must then coure/cultus are best fit.
    from my personal experience CNG saves you some money but in the end u'll be spending more on maintenance.I guess city if driven with normal rpm gives 14 km /ltr
    Assume full tank of CNG gives 140 km and your cylinder capacity is 9 kilos
    Cost:4.14 rs / km
    If you are getting 14 km ltr then cost would be:6.35 rs / km
    If your daily mileage is 30 km then 190 rs/day for petrol
    If your daily mileage is 30 km then 124 rs/day for CNG
    At the end of month u'll save 2000 rs but you've to wait in long queues,secondly car running on CNG would require oil/filter change earlier and engine life also effected.

3- The resale value should be acceptable as i will have to sale the car one day.

City all the way then

4- As CNG is only available half the week here in Lahore, my car will have to run on petrol too. So which car gives a better mileage on petrol is also a concern. As per my knowledge, on petrol City has a better mileage than Swift. Correct me if i am wrong.

City has much better average as compared to swift.

Suggetion:Also Consider Passo 1.3 it can run on CNG and cost would be less than swift and drive would be 1000 times better than alto and cultus.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i own a swift 2011 dlx and i am highly satisfied with its performance (considering its a suzuki). However if you have the budget, go for city as it is more comfortable and economical.
    www.gizmocrazed.com | Daily Dose of Cars , Gadgets and Technology

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Buy 3 margallas & keep the one you like & sale the remaining 2 after six months with 100K profit on each. That is what happens here with old cars

Vitz Vs Swift, then go for Swift

Swift Vs City, then go for City

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you alikhan and maddy for your opinion. @alikhan the problem with Japanese cars like passo is the fact that they are quite rare so you dont easily find mechanics who can work on these cars plus the resale disadvantage in the local market. I will look for a vitz 1.3 but since these 1.3 vitz are also rare the problem of getting these cars fixed in case of any problem is considerable and CNG is not advisable on it guess.
    Relating to the petrol vs CNG thing i get your point, and it is valid but i will prefer running the car on both fuels as a compromise between running costs and car maintenance.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

City would be the best choice. Also whichever car you decide on, buy asap coz prices are rumored to increase again.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for the advice mani. i will try to do that.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for the comparison asad. I guess its pretty fair.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DocRC View Post
    Thank you alikhan and maddy for your opinion. @alikhan the problem with Japanese cars like passo is the fact that they are quite rare so you dont easily find mechanics who can work on these cars plus the resale disadvantage in the local market. I will look for a vitz 1.3 but since these 1.3 vitz are also rare the problem of getting these cars fixed in case of any problem is considerable and CNG is not advisable on it guess.
    Relating to the petrol vs CNG thing i get your point, and it is valid but i will prefer running the car on both fuels as a compromise between running costs and car maintenance.
    There are too much misconception regarding Japanese cars w.r.t mechanics and parts.
    First of all you you should understand y need mechanic if car is 100 % fit.
    Same case with VITZ few years back, but now u can c many on roads and mechanic can understand them very well.
    1.3 VITZ are not rare any lots of importers have them in good condition.
    we bought VITZ 2004 Model in Jan 2007 and till date only visits to workshop were for gear oil change,brake service and throttle cleaning
    and it's still running like new.Secondly JDM cars offer safety features which are lacking in local cars.
    regarding JDM parts they are available because of accidental cars/scrap import.

I bought Passo a month back and too much satisfied with performance and comfort ,The price i paid is almost less than new coure price tag.
    My emphasis on Petrol is due to uncertainty of CNG as energy source.
    May be it has limited future.
    If CNG is a must my sincere advice would be to buy car which has less electronics.
    Thanks

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Tagged
    24 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

go for city, compatable with cng and also good re-sale

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Poster
    it is 350km from the place I work to my home, CNG takes around 1000-1200 for a round trip and the following does the same in 1500 on petrol. I don't find any reason to convert it to CNG

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/mem...-my-own-record

I was once confused in the same fuzz and my father, as always suggested exactly what I needed. City NO DOUBT IS FAR SUPERIOR THEN ANY OTHER CAR OF ITS CATEGORY (IN pak) ..... Talk Style, fuel efficiency and what not !

Here goes the same exercise which I did an year ago

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/mem...s-suzuki-swift

Here is my ride just to trigger your interest

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/mem...oem-navigation
    Education is not any Degree or Certificate.
    Education is the our attitude,language & behaviour with others in life............!!!!

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up

This is bit silly think of corolla if you can afford city than you can afford acorrolla as well or go for Liana

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You have used a hatch back (five door) for extended period of time. SWIFT is better then Honda Shitty - Trouble free stable and economical on maintenance many standard factory fitted stuff which you may have to get as an option in SHTTY as 15" alloy wheels

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you everybody for your opinions.
    @umair i went through your threads and found them quite helpful, thank you. I think city is the better choice for me. I will rethink about CNG conversion once i get the car. Cheers!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

bro i wud prefer you city..bcs cng literally ruins swift.
    nd bro if your daily drive is 30-40 kms then i wud never suggest you to opt for cng..cng are for people who have to drive daily for more then 100 km
    p.s i sold a gem civic 2005 hardly driven just to go for cowrolla gli 2011 :/ so tht i can install cng bcs i have to drive around 150 km daily..honda was using hell of petrol
    but after getting cowrolla it got full for 4500 and gave me 480-515 wid ac in city bcs of which i didnt go for cng

bcs bro
    1) cng milti hi kitne din hai????4 days a week?wo b 2 hour line mein kharae honae keh bd u get it filled wo b puri nae bcs of less pressure :@
    2)after max 50-60 thousand car strts giving prblms..so every month u have to spend extra 2000-3000 just bcs of cng

in the end of the day what all you are saving is 100-200 rupees..i guess us sae bhtr sakoon hai
    I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't =)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I'll suggest you to buy the Honda City for some good reasons:

1. You will get a sedan.
    2. More comfortable and shape is also newer as it was released in 2009 (the0 shape of swift was launched in 2005 world wide)
    3. Very fuel economic, i'm pretty sure you will not go for CNG after seeing the Exceptional fuel economy of the City.
    4. It has got better resale value.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks lea and mystique. Everybody is appreciating City's fuel consumption , it must be good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List