Survey by Qualaroo
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Just got my first ever car; an A/T Honda City. What are some pro-tips I should know?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Just got my first ever car; an A/T Honda City. What are some pro-tips I should know?

So after much deliberation, I decided to opt for the new Honda City with automatic transmission. The colour is "bold beige" I think which isn't my first choice, but I have my brother to blame for that since he finalised the deal in my absence.

Anyway, it's completely brand new and I just got the number plates installed from the showroom today.

This is the first car that I will be responsible for on my own, so what are some tips, tricks and maintenance suggestions that you all can give to help me keep it running in good condition?

I am blissfully aware of my own ignorance when it comes to cars, so even the tiniest bit of advice will be appreciated.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    30 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Drive safe and take care of yourself and your car too ~
    If travelling was free............ You know what i mean

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

For body/paint maintenance ask the detailing guys ( accord3762 etc. )

Nothing extra ordinary is needed just keep regular maintenance like oil change, oil & fuel filter change in time. Regularly check the water and try to use original parts in case needed. I guess that's enough. and yes obey speed limits & drive safe. Best of luck brother.
    Almost everyone in Pakistan is doing corruption to the extent they can. Our leaders are doing at the level they can do. So why should we complain?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by zia1288 View Post
    For body/paint maintenance ask the detailing guys ( accord3762 etc. )

Nothing extra ordinary is needed just keep regular maintenance like oil change, oil & fuel filter change in time. Regularly check the water and try to use original parts in case needed. I guess that's enough. and yes obey speed limits & drive safe. Best of luck brother.
    Thanks. Could you also please tell me at approximately what time or mileage I should get these things changed? Are there any specific brands of oil more suitable for this car?

Also, what did you mean by checking the water?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Congratulations on the purchase.
    My recommendation is that spare some time and read the owner manual thoroughly. You will come to know about most of the things along with the maintenance schedule.
    By the way, which colour you were interested in?
    "The more we sweat in peace, the less we bleed in war"

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by speedster_101 View Post
    Congratulations on the purchase.
    My recommendation is that spare some time and read the owner manual thoroughly. You will come to know about most of the things along with the maintenance schedule.
    By the way, which colour you were interested in?
    Thank you.

Just took out the owner manual...I hadn't even thought of reading it but now see how useful it is.

I would have liked to have it in white colour but I'm in no way complaining!

Also, do you or anyone else have suggestions of what kind of seat covers are best? I'd also like to get those remotes for keyless entry...and I suppose foot-mats? I know there is another thread right now where the OP is asking for add-ons for his new Suzuki Swift...but I'm looking for specific Honda City advice if there is any...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by gunjafarishta View Post
    Thank you.

Just took out the owner manual...I hadn't even thought of reading it but now see how useful it is.

I would have liked to have it in white colour but I'm in no way complaining!

Also, do you or anyone else have suggestions of what kind of seat covers are best? I'd also like to get those remotes for keyless entry...and I suppose foot-mats? I know there is another thread right now where the OP is asking for add-ons for his new Suzuki Swift...but I'm looking for specific Honda City advice if there is any...
    I myself have bought Honda City a few months ago. It is manual transmission. Here is a thread link. It can be helpful to you.
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/mem...peedster_101-a

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Please don't get the cheap remote thing installed. It messes up the wiring since the installation guys cut and scrape wires they have no idea about.

Use the key, its not a very hard job.

Rest is upto you!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

congrats on ur purchase nice choice and for any querries feel free to ask nothing extra ordinary needed just drive carefully and be safe..
    Waiting for the Dawn......

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default no

congrats...just drive smartly,routine tuning ,oil n filters on time...keep it clean....new cars dnt need much attention !!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

There are two types of seat covers available in market.
    The ready made ones and the custom made.
    The ready made ones are cheap. They can be made-up of cloth or leatherette. But they are not good. They also don't fit perfectly as they are universal type of covers.
    The 2nd option is to get a fabric of your choice. Then get it stitched from a good poshish shop. They will stitch it on your car's seat. Hence fitting would be good.
    I went for second option. The cloth I bought is almost identical to the original black (textured) cloth of Honda City covers. I spent 5000 Rs on cloth and stitching.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

And for Honda City, one must change the stock Eurostar tyres. It is most important in my opinion.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks. Could you also please tell me at approximately what time or mileage I should get these things changed? Are there any specific brands of oil more suitable for this car?

Also, what did you mean by checking the water?
    Oil change depends upon the oil you are using. I would recommend you Petromin Ultra 7 ( you need to change oil at 5000 kms ) or if you use other oils like Caltex Havoline or Shell Helix the interval should be 3000-3500.

By checking water I meant to check water in the radiator & expansion/coolant bottle.
    Almost everyone in Pakistan is doing corruption to the extent they can. Our leaders are doing at the level they can do. So why should we complain?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Congratulations for the purchase brother. You have opted for one of the best 1.3 car available in pk.

About add ons is.

First of all. Get the tyres changed asap. Install some soft tyres like Michellin.
    -Don't install these stupid *chu chu* alarm systems. It messes up the wiring.
    -Install Air press. They look good.
    -If you like navi system/dvd screen and back view camera. get it installed. It looks really really good. (oem one).
    and about engine oil duration. Mostly this thing confuses alot.
    Refer to this thread. https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/oil...hange-duration
    Enjoy..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies.

I've been reading the owner's manual and learned loads of new things. I'll try to keep on top of the oil changes etc.

However, some questions:

Re: Changing Tyres....What am I supposed to do with the relatively new stock Eurostar tyres? I'll be left with a full set of usable tyres, will I be able to sell them off? Would the tyre-wala buy them off me?

Re: Remote Control.....It seems that getting the "chu-chu" remote unlocking system is not a popular idea. My primary reason for wanting it was so that I waste less time fumbling and opening the car door with my keys. Having returned recently to Karachi after spending many years abroad and hearing about various incidents from friends/family, I thought it would be more secure to be able to simply open the door and enter it after having unlocked it from a slight distance. That was the only reason. If it truly messes up the wiring, then I suppose I can skip it.

But if anyone can recommend a reliable person to install a remote system in Karachi, who will not mess up the wiring, I would appreciate it.

Re: Seat Covers...I think the option of custom seat covers i.e. purchasing fabric and getting it stitched on the seats, seem like a good idea.

Again, if anyone can recommend places in Karachi where I can purchase the material and a place where they will stitch it for me, please do so.

Random Unrelated Thought: Actually, I was just thinking it might be a good idea (if it already exists and I'm unaware, please direct me) on this forum to have a section where establishments dealing with the sales and service of various car-related products/services e.g: A/C guys, mechanics, various add-on sellers/installers etc are listed by city. And everyone could rate them and pass comments...similar to the "new cars" section. OK. I just checked...the "auto pages" section has a listing of various companies but there isn't a rating/comment system.

In my humble opinion, it would be immensely helpful for everyone and particularly for people like myself who have no idea where to go for any car issues. It would also help to bring the companies who are most reliable to the everyone's attention, if we could sort it by rating. Anyway, just an idea that popped into my head which I thought I should share. Does anyone concur?

TL;DR: There should be a section for businesses dealing with car issues where PakWheelers can vote/comment regarding their services etc.

Thank you once again everyone and I apologise for rambling at the end.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Re: Changing Tyres.: Yes. Shopkeeper will buy those tyres from you. and value of these eurostar tyres are 3-4k per piece. New ones will cost you 7-10k per piece.
    Re: Remote Control: yes it messes up the wiring. If u want peace of mind. Get the car insured. It is the best solution.
    Visit 3s dealerships for any type of repair. They may cost you bit higher than market. But they will not screw up your car.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My Honda City's Eurostar tyres were sold for 10,000 Rs (4 tyres) this August. They were 250 Km driven.
    I haven't installed security system because the electricians mess up car wiring and also due to the reason that Honda voids the warranty.
    Normally seat cover fabric is available with the same guy who would do the stitching (Poshish shop). He will show you many qualities of cloth. Members from Karachi can guide you about good Poshish shops.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies.

I've been reading the owner's manual and learned loads of new things. I'll try to keep on top of the oil changes etc.

However, some questions:

Re: Changing Tyres....What am I supposed to do with the relatively new stock Eurostar tyres? I'll be left with a full set of usable tyres, will I be able to sell them off? Would the tyre-wala buy them off me?

Re: Remote Control.....It seems that getting the "chu-chu" remote unlocking system is not a popular idea. My primary reason for wanting it was so that I waste less time fumbling and opening the car door with my keys. Having returned recently to Karachi after spending many years abroad and hearing about various incidents from friends/family, I thought it would be more secure to be able to simply open the door and enter it after having unlocked it from a slight distance. That was the only reason. If it truly messes up the wiring, then I suppose I can skip it.

But if anyone can recommend a reliable person to install a remote system in Karachi, who will not mess up the wiring, I would appreciate it.

Re: Seat Covers...I think the option of custom seat covers i.e. purchasing fabric and getting it stitched on the seats, seem like a good idea.

Again, if anyone can recommend places in Karachi where I can purchase the material and a place where they will stitch it for me, please do so.

Random Unrelated Thought: Actually, I was just thinking it might be a good idea (if it already exists and I'm unaware, please direct me) on this forum to have a section where establishments dealing with the sales and service of various car-related products/services e.g: A/C guys, mechanics, various add-on sellers/installers etc are listed by city. And everyone could rate them and pass comments...similar to the "new cars" section. OK. I just checked...the "auto pages" section has a listing of various companies but there isn't a rating/comment system.

In my humble opinion, it would be immensely helpful for everyone and particularly for people like myself who have no idea where to go for any car issues. It would also help to bring the companies who are most reliable to the everyone's attention, if we could sort it by rating. Anyway, just an idea that popped into my head which I thought I should share. Does anyone concur?

TL;DR: There should be a section for businesses dealing with car issues where PakWheelers can vote/comment regarding their services etc.

Thank you once again everyone and I apologise for rambling at the end.
    first of all congrat on your new purchase i would utterly agree with the thought that u have choosen one of the finest car comes in 1300c engine , now about your questions i will try to cover them one by one .

we all are lay man here who know bits and bobs about cars i must admit when i started joining here i wouldnt even know how to change my tyres and now atleast i can do basic and i guess thats the benifit of pw site , as u are relatively new u need to know a good mechanic , a good electrician , a good ac technicial now when i am writing good i am smiling because theres no good technicial they all are there to rip u off its up to u how u let them as far as u are concern your car is new so i would suggest u to go to honda 3s , tyres u need to change go for soft brand like michellin and some decent rims , ac guy your car is new so u dont need it for good few years still when u want it i know a good ac guy , seat covers its a shop near tariq road graveyard the guy is good at it u need to choose and give him order , alarm system well i would leave this option as its normally mess up with your wiring unless u know a very good auto electrician which is a miracle to find , a part from that when ever u stuck ask here and inshallah we all here to gie u suggestions , once again congrat and drive safe !!
    Crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Original Poster.

I think most of the fellows here have pitched in pretty good suggestions. I would like to contribute my thoughts in addition to them. What i am going to write is pure personal experience. Fellows may or may not agree.

Regarding Initial 5000-10K-Kms:
    Since yours is an auto, honda recommends to let that blue light turn of before putting it into D during cold start in morning. Obviously its going to waste about 0.4L petrol every morning but in the long run its good for engine and torque converter. Also try to keep a light foot on the engine. Meaning let the AT shift below 3000 rpm. Dont let the engine rev too much. I know its a honda and its built to last (enginewise) but the more soft foot, the more engine life. One final thing, please dont worry about fuel economy in first 5K to 10K mileage, it gets better and better. Also depends on what tires you install, from where you get the car filled from, do you use hi-octane or not....things like that.

Regarding Maintenance.
    The honda's suggested way is to change only engine oil at 5000KM and change fcompany fitted air filter and oil filter at 10'000 KM. But i would suggest an alternative. Considering that you'ld be idle-ling for that blue cold engine light to turn off, you'ld should change it at lets just say 3.5 to 4K mileage. After the engine is assembled out of production line, initial 1000 to 2000Km have a considerable wear and tear (totally normal for new engine) on engine internals. So its better to change oil early for first oil change. You may leave the oil filter as is and plan to change it on 8000KM. Also note that even if you dont drive a car to 4000KM in 6 months or more, the manufacturers specify the time of oil replacement as well. Some say 6. some say 8 months. After that, they say the engine oil does not maintain desired viscous and lubricating properties. But that can be a myth as well.

Regarding air filter, you can push it to 10'000 KM but i'ld say when you reach 6000KM you'll start noticing a decrease in pick-up and mileage. Thats because these filters in city's and civic's are oil coated. That further means that they can elminate more fine dust particles from going into your engine and further enhance your engine life. But they choke early due to dust conditions in PK. Atleast they start looking terrible at 3000KM only. So air filter change at 6K.

Regarding Tyre replacement:
    Although when i bought mine 09 city, i had an obsession for Michelin and Good Year. But i could'nt find a latest manufactured. All were Smuggled tyres in market with one year old manufactured dates. For some reason (i may be wrong) they seamed hard to me.
    I went for Dunlop 195/65/R15, but i kinda regret that decision. The tyres are soft no doubt, but noisy. I'ld say Yokohama are a perfect brand for pk roads. A blend of grip, a bit sturdiness on bumps (not too soft to get themselves damaged easily) and minimal road noise. But please dont go above 185 width. Your EuroStars are 175. They will give you the best mileage. None other can. Period.

Regarding other stuff like matts, seat covers and etc, its all your choice and pocket. As simple as that.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase. Give sadqa and drive safe.

P.S. Your's is a new car with Complex Electronics and Advanced Engine Design. You seriously dont need any road side mechanic for that. It wont need unscheduled maintenance for atleast 5 years. Still if the need requires and if any one can fix it, its only honda guys.
    The Soul's Journey After Death in Islam (www.bit.ly/SoulsJourney) -- Originally Shared by kse101

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@rustam54

Thank you for being so thorough... it seems that you have covered everything!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List