3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Old Mercedes vs Lancer: Comfort wise

I am comparing Mercedes old models . W124, W202, W126, W201 with Lancer 2007 model in terms of comfort only.

Is it worth changing Lancer with the above Mercedes models only for sake of comfort ?

Range Rover Classic 1986 3.5L Petrol V8

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default agree with XulfiqAR

I'm using W124 E280 24V from last 2 years never ever faced any major prob.
    if we talk about fuel it gives me around 8.5KM to 9KM with in a city with AC ( 50L to 55L ) goes around 450KM to 470KM

i agree with Xulfiqar on regular maintenance of these OLD cars

thanx to Xulfiqar useful advice regarding to my gear shifting prob.
    Xulfiqar i just changed all the vacuum pipes and flush the gear box and now it's really smooth my last road test after flushing and changing the vacuum with 19" replica Brabus pattern rims was really fun
    Old Mercedes vs Lancer Comfort wise -1036997

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you for your opinion. After driving a few W202 I find it is good for cruising but its pickup is not something you can talk about. I don't know whether this was a problem with the cars I checked or the car is like that.
    But I am thinking of going for W124 model as I can find bigger engines in that model and it is not computerized and lastly E class is one step up from the C class. I have also looked at one W201 which has a 2.3 litre engine.

The problem I see is that most of the cars in the market are just rubbish. Abused, misused never maintained. The owners who have a clean maintained ride jack up the price too much. I am currently negotiating with a few car owners but no success so far.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

will help you out on this. know quite a few in lahore.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by oklodhi View Post
    Thank you for your opinion. After driving a few W202 I find it is good for cruising but its pickup is not something you can talk about. I don't know whether this was a problem with the cars I checked or the car is like that.
    But I am thinking of going for W124 model as I can find bigger engines in that model and it is not computerized and lastly E class is one step up from the C class. I have also looked at one W201 which has a 2.3 litre engine.

The problem I see is that most of the cars in the market are just rubbish. Abused, misused never maintained. The owners who have a clean maintained ride jack up the price too much. I am currently negotiating with a few car owners but no success so far.

the 1.8 l 202 cars are not speedy at all, if you want speed and pull then get a 2.8 or 3.2 litre version of the same car. The old W124 also have their share of "sust taxi" versions with the lazy M102 engine and short diff to make up for the missing torque, and peppy versions like the 280E, 300E and E320. with the M104 engine or the maniac M119 4.2 V8 engined E420 or the Porsche built insane E500, or the AMG built W124 that cost about 150,000 USD when new

As always - get a car that has been maintained. If you want to buy a car that lags behind on maintenance then get it at a price that can accomodate all the replacement parts and labor cost to correct it back to spec. The W124 is pretty oldschool, but its a like it or hate it car. There is no inbetween. If servicing in Pakistan make sure that YOU have a good supply of correct lubes, greases, pastes etc. and also service procedures if the mechanic does not.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Haroon_Tarar View Post
    will help you out on this. know quite a few in lahore.
    Sure , will look forward to it. How much is the market price of a good condition W124?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    As always - get a car that has been maintained. If you want to buy a car that lags behind on maintenance then get it at a price that can accomodate all the replacement parts and labor cost to correct it back to spec. The W124 is pretty oldschool, but its a like it or hate it car. There is no inbetween. If servicing in Pakistan make sure that YOU have a good supply of correct lubes, greases, pastes etc. and also service procedures if the mechanic does not.
    very rightly said.
    when i buy a car, i look for the following points;
    body must be in very good condition. seal packed. original paint. slight spray works for me personally.
    interior must be very well looked after.
    mechanical thing can always be done; be it new or used parts.

@oklodhi i know someone who has 2-3 merc parked at home. they are not quoted or advertised anywhere but they are for sale. both of us were in peshawar today. i am back but he will be back on saturday night. i will update you on monday.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

in my view maintaining a lancer will be more easy than maintaing an old merc
    merc is merc uska apna shashka hai but parts availability is a big issue
    8th Gen Mitsubishi Lancer 1.3 GLX 2006; 3rd Gen Toyota Prius 1.8 S-Touring 2010; 11th Gen Toyota Corolla 1.3 GLi AT 2014.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aliusman420 View Post
    Quite strange. i talked to a few dealers and few owners. They tell me each and everything of mercedes is available.
    Regarding maintenance maybe yes lancer would be easy to maintain. One reason is I have the car for some time and it is looked after properly. Buying a used car is always a gamble. Secondly you dont have to understand the car and can get it repaired from the company workshop. In case of Mercedes I don't think I will go to Shahnawaz, so yes in the start there would be some difficulty. And for mercedes I would have to get involved in each and everything so yes the learning curve is there.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

bro, dont comment unless u have experienced something urself. the spares of models that oklodhi is looking for are available VERY easily.
    let me also make it clear to you that maintaining a lancer is as difficult (i m saying difficult because u think its difficult to maintain a merc) as maintaining a merc. lancer spares are not cheap at all.
    here s an example for you. fuse box of lancer costs 65k whereas fuse box of a W203 costs the same too.
    W202's maintenance is cheaper as compared to your lancer.

hope it helps clear out some misunderstandings in your mind.

And i have owned both the cars i.e. lancer and merc

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

W202 parts are very easily available and much cheaper than new cars ... I am also looking for a clean one ... I saw a 99 w202 c240 but he is deMAnding skyhigh ... Finding a clean w124 is very difficult

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Corolla 2006 timing belt tensioner is 13000 and w202's 4000
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i feel like riding a roller coaster while comparing tin cans with tanks
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i am saying in the sense that lancer is comparatively newer than old mercs in the same price range
    you can't get brand new parts for old mercs or can you?
    i have one 98 model C180 in my knowledge which is for sale owner is demanding 9 lakhs but the main concern in my mind is its maintenance as well as running expense which can far exceed than that of lancer, i'm taking into account the fuel consumption as well.
    compare the availability of body parts as well and other regular maintenance items such as air/oil filters etc.
    8th Gen Mitsubishi Lancer 1.3 GLX 2006; 3rd Gen Toyota Prius 1.8 S-Touring 2010; 11th Gen Toyota Corolla 1.3 GLi AT 2014.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

read this again

Quote Originally Posted by doc.tarzan View Post
    W202 parts are very easily available and much cheaper than new cars ... I am also looking for a clean one ... I saw a 99 w202 c240 but he is deMAnding skyhigh ... Finding a clean w124 is very difficult
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

he lives in KPK and I live in Islamabad
    wahan to koi masla nahi kisi bhi gari ke parts ka, magar yahan hai

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

aliusman, you dont live in a far flung village. parts of each and every kind; new or used are available in lahore, rawalpindi and islamabad. its your choice whether u want new parts or used parts. and let me tell u, used parts of lancer are NOT at all easy to find. also make one thing clear, i used to change the oil of lancer after every 3000 km whereas oil of merc was changed after 5000km. this explains the maintenance being expensive. now come to daily runing expense.
    you claim that you run your cars on petrol. merc does 9-11 in city. (i wrote 9 to be on the safe side). mine used to give me 10-11km within city with/without ac. on long routes, it does 13-14. and lancer does no more than that. maybe a km or 2 more. not more than that.
    and the old merc in 9-10 lacs price range is still far more strong than lancer. it will hardly ask you to visit the workshop once it has been properly taken care of. even there suspension needs 4-5 years to be checked/repaired again.

also note that spares of merc these days in pew are supplied from lahore and/or rawalpindi. (majority)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i know a person who deals in used mitsubishi parts, gives me a good discount as well
    i am not criticizing merc in any way, if you think i'm doing that
    how did engine oil come in this discussion? did you use the same brand in both cars or different? i was talking about filters and stuff
    we can't fully rely on used parts can we?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i am saying in the sense that lancer is comparatively newer than old mercs in the same price range
    you can't get brand new parts for old mercs or can you?
    i have one 98 model C180 in my knowledge which is for sale owner is demanding 9 lakhs but the main concern in my mind is its maintenance as well as running expense which can far exceed than that of lancer, i'm taking into account the fuel consumption as well.
    compare the availability of body parts as well and other regular maintenance items such as air/oil filters etc.
    MB is probably the only manufacturer in the world that will provide you brand new parts of even ancient models. I dont quite gather what you people are discussing as maintenance?? for a 202 chassis its pretty much as any other car except mehrans etc, which cannot even be considered cars compared to these.

Driving is vastly different, the ride is quite supple yet firm, like the body of a belly dancer, it wafts around unlike japanese cars which move around. If your choice of comfort is riding on a cloud of air then get yourself a citroen DS, its suspension is one of a kind, you can hit potholes the size of bolans and the car wont even slightly move.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by oklodhi View Post
    Sure , will look forward to it. How much is the market price of a good condition W124?
    @oklodhi last month when i was in pakistan i saw 1 w124 E280 M104 in immaculate condition with the millage of around 170K forsale at the showroom if u turn left from defence chowk towards walton road the showroom name SAQIB MOTORS next to QAZI PLAZA
    but to me price look on the higher side if i'm not wrong the price was around 1.1 or 1.2 million

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by malik1983 View Post
    @oklodhi last month when i was in pakistan i saw 1 w124 E280 M104 in immaculate condition with the millage of around 170K forsale at the showroom if u turn left from defence chowk towards walton road the showroom name SAQIB MOTORS next to QAZI PLAZA
    but to me price look on the higher side if i'm not wrong the price was around 1.1 or 1.2 million
    Thanks for the info. I went and checked the car. Its blue color 1993 model 280E auto. mileage is 189,000km.
    VIN 1240282B965572 Asking Price Rs 1.1 million

Problems:
    1. Battery was dead, started with jump lead
    2. The engine idle was rough with smell of unburnt petrol in the air
    3. Air con / fan / blower was not working. ( i tried all the buttons)
    4. Parking lights / speedometer lights were not working.
    5. Rear headrests did not fall down on pressing of the button
    6. Trunk lid would not close, most likely some problem with the lock. Closed it on 5th attempt.
    7. Bonnet interior cloth was replaced with a foam sheet
    8.The black strip below the wiper was not in place and windscreen bottom was exposed on one side.
    9. Some interior fittings were not in place like the plastic cover on the inside of door pillar.

Engine was washed and polished. Body seemed ok. I went actually just before maghrib and light levels were falling down.. I will contact the owner and see the car again in daylight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

User Tag List