Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Ideal car for a college gal? Japanese import or rebuild a cheap used car?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Ideal car for a college gal? Japanese import or rebuild a cheap used car?

This is my first post so sorry if I put it in the wrong category.

I am a high school graduate and will be college this fall, so I need a car. My first idea had been to get a used japanese car such as a passo or vitz be done with it. Butnow I have fallen short of money somewhat and these cars cost around 9-10 laks, I am now having second thoughts. See my dads friend has this business in peshawar where they rebuild and modify and fix and smuggle and what not with cars, so I have this option of buying a khatara gari for 2-3 mega grands and then having it rebuilt by them. As in new engine etc. I liked this idea as my cousin has a franken prado built like this and his runs great. My question is how reliable in general are these kind of cars? And is this a good idea? And if so can you suggest a good khatara gari which is cheap and yet still has the potential to look good after being worked on? Also how much reviving work can be done in 4-5 laks? I mean il get a discount but how much does a complete overhaul cost? Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My God...one word "gal" in the thread topic and replies swarming in like American planes dropping bombs over German cities in World War-II.
    Hats off to Pakwheelers...True Gentlemen...!!!! they cant see a damsel in distress...!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Doesnt quite add up - she is a high school grad in Pakistan and is going to college this fall.. <<--- this is formatted a little different in Pakistan, dont you think?
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

exactly....which Pakistani girl-no matter how mod-squad, no matter how tom-boyish...will have the guts to buy a second hand khatarra car for "2-3 mega grandz" and then go through the anguish of rebuilding it, sourcing parts from all over Peshawar Junkyard World...!!!! wow.

i smell a rat ...!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

fouadhafeez +1 for the Experienced Guy ! ! !

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Red face

i agree totally with you rizkhan2010
    there is something fishy

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ali_mb_4444 View Post
    i agree totally with you rizkhan2010
    there is something fishy
    Quote Originally Posted by rizkhan2010 View Post
    exactly....which Pakistani girl-no matter how mod-squad, no matter how tom-boyish...will have the guts to buy a second hand khatarra car for "2-3 mega grandz" and then go through the anguish of rebuilding it, sourcing parts from all over Peshawar Junkyard World...!!!! wow.

i smell a rat ...!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rizkhan2010 View Post
    My God...one word "gal" in the thread topic and replies swarming in like American planes dropping bombs over German cities in World War-II.
    Hats off to Pakwheelers...True Gentlemen...!!!! they cant see a damsel in distress...!!!!
    these are the guyz who are not true gentlemen. right?
    being not true gentlemen made em to dig out that deep in the state of fasting n that on the last light moments before iftar
    good show brothers

PS J/k , dont take on me now
    My dear ALLAH when I loose hope, help me to remember that Your love is greater than my disappointment and Your plans for my life are better than my Dreams.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

In 400-500k, getting a JDM Alto (new shape) is not possible. Charade 88 doesn't worth more than 350k no matter how good it is or some SHOQEEN guy has spend too much on it. Although I'm a FAN yet honestly speaking, none of the Charade have been proved a RELIABLE car in Pakistan! So if you have 500k, then avoid Charade.

Mehran is cheaper to run but it also makes you cheap plus safety and comfort of this car is 0/0! Therefore, avoid this too!

Corolla 86 or 88 these cars are very tough, PATHANS like it very much so are our Punjabi farmers in rural areas but the cars are now getting aged!

(Na) Pak Suzuki Alto is not bad, you can get one.

You can also find a decent Hyndai Santro under 500k, but try to get one with Factory Fitted CNG. i think this car is much better for beginners who don't like Mehran
    Safety 1st!
    Always Must!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thankyou for your help everyone, you guys are the best. I tried several other places such as yahoo answers but couldnt get any replies.

So I've almost decided to get a car straight of the market rather than doing the khawari of having one rebuilt. So comfort aside, Mehran is the most economical car. Can anyone tell me its current price? And some suggested a 2000 Civic, is that better or a brand new Mehran? I mean Mehran is sweet and everything but it doesnt anyyy personality and is not, I gather, very comfortable. Also has anyone ever used a Mini Pajero or Passo? Can you get them in about 800 grand and are they good and comfy?I heard that vitz is overpriced. One last thing, my dad works at customs so I can get a car cleared without any hassle(but I have to pay the duty ofcourse). Is it possible to get a car imported myself from japan and what is the process like?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Andhow much can I save this way?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Oh and thanks in advance once again

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

importing Car directly from Japan is a Headache for a common person. Japan Import will take atleast 45-50 Days.

If you can wait such long than you can import a car. And try to purchase newest model possible to avoid problems.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

NCP Advertisement.....!
    An 'Inch' in the 'Right' Direction is Far better than a 'Mile' in the Wrong.2 There is No Such Thing as A Free Lunch.3 Assumption is the Mother of all £uckups.4 Devil wears Prada.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guys i wana buy a car too in the budget of 10 lacs. Im a 21 year old university going student and ofcourse a MALE!:p

p.S I want to see how many people are kind enough to throw me their number for further assistance
    R18 boyz!.....Powered by Honda

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by warshrike View Post
    ...has anyone ever used a Mini Pajero or Passo? Can you get them in about 800 grand and are they good and comfy?
    I can speak for the Passo, which is a very good small car / subcompact. It's a 1000cc (or 1300cc depending on the model) car which seats five people in absolute comfort, and is surprisingly spacious for such a little vehicle. It's also decently nimble, very frugal, and is very easy to live with. Good air-conditioning, super-light steering, very good automatic gearshift, and a marvelous configuration of fold-down/adjustable seats for extra stowage capacity are some of its other plus points. I don't think you can get a 2008-9 Passo for anything under 10 Lakhs. On the other hand, I don't think a 2007 Mini Pajero should be anything much over 7-8 Lakhs.
    I heard that vitz is overpriced. One last thing, my dad works at customs so I can get a car cleared without any hassle(but I have to pay the duty ofcourse). Is it possible to get a car imported myself from japan and what is the process like?
    A lot of people swear by the Vitz. With due respect to their choice, I'd pick a Passo over a Vitz any day. In fact...I DID. And haven't regretted it one bit. And yes...there are always ways and means to import vehicles from Japan / elsewhere, but since I have no experience I shan't comment on this aspect. Personally though, I'm a firm believer in WYSIWYG - what you see is what you get. Buying a car "blind" from Japan (to save some, and risk losing more) should be weighed carefully against "seeing" a car "in the flesh" before buying it.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by airomerix View Post
    Guys i wana buy a car too in the budget of 10 lacs. Im a 21 year old university going student and ofcourse a MALE!:p

p.S I want to see how many people are kind enough to throw me their number for further assistance
    first off, these forums are about discussion around cars...not for throwing around numbers and/or contacts. And certainly...if you ditch the subtle male chauvinistic undertones, go through the trouble of making a thread for your needs, and requesting help in a polite manner...I'm SURE you'd get help from some of the people who're on here. People who - contrary to popular belief - use PakWheels as a forum to further their love for all things automotive, rather than as a social forum to hit on anyone who even alludes to being female.

So...still have those 10 Lakh rupees...and need help in buying a car?
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    first off, these forums are about discussion around cars...not for throwing around numbers and/or contacts. And certainly...if you ditch the subtle male chauvinistic undertones, go through the trouble of making a thread for your needs, and requesting help in a polite manner...I'm SURE you'd get help from some of the people who're on here. People who - contrary to popular belief - use PakWheels as a forum to further their love for all things automotive, rather than as a social forum to hit on anyone who even alludes to being female.

So...still have those 10 Lakh rupees...and need help in buying a car?
    Sir keeping in view his age 21, he talked about what is being cooked in minds of majority of our youth.
    My dear ALLAH when I loose hope, help me to remember that Your love is greater than my disappointment and Your plans for my life are better than my Dreams.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by warshrike View Post
    Thankyou for your help everyone, you guys are the best. I tried several other places such as yahoo answers but couldnt get any replies.So I've almost decided to get a car straight of the market rather than doing the khawari of having one rebuilt. So comfort aside, Mehran is the most economical car. Can anyone tell me its current price? And some suggested a 2000 Civic, is that better or a brand new Mehran? I mean Mehran is sweet and everything but it doesnt anyyy personality and is not, I gather, very comfortable. Also has anyone ever used a Mini Pajero or Passo? Can you get them in about 800 grand and are they good and comfy?I heard that vitz is overpriced. One last thing, my dad works at customs so I can get a car cleared without any hassle(but I have to pay the duty ofcourse). Is it possible to get a car imported myself from japan and what is the process like?
    No one suggested the Mehran. NO ONE! NOOOOO ONEEEEE! Dont ... even ... think ... of going for it. Sure put everything aside and its 'economical', but then going in a BUS is economical too! Find something like a used 2002 Vitz in the market. Should come in your budget. Nice car. So will a Suzuki Kei. Again a nice car and good on fuel too. Passo again not a bad choice, but id pick the Vitz over it. Your dad in customs may help you import a good fresh car from Japan. Ask your father to find one for you, the dealer will be all too happy to help out someone in the customs.
    1st Generation Integration

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by airomerix View Post

It is better not to drive at this tender age. If there is still any ambiguity call 03xx-GULKHAN

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by memad View Post
    it is better not to drive at this tender age. If there is still any ambiguity call 03xx-gulkhan
    0300-5x8507?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guy with 10 lakh budget ... if you werent messing around. 99-00 Civic ... and swap something mean inside ! xD

That or a 08-09 City. Pretty neat car, easy on teh fuel too.
    1st Generation Integration

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

User Tag List