Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Civic or Altis - Please suggest

Hi everyone,

So, I am going to be purchasing a new car in about a couple of week's time. I would like the valuable opinions of you all to make the final decision.

I have narrowed down my choices to
    --2013 Altis 1.6 MT
    --2013 Civic iVTEC MT
    I personally don't see too much of a difference between Oriel and Base Civic or SR or Base Altis but maybe people would help me for that too. However, I really don't care for the Sun Roof, Fog Lights or Alloy Rims.

Following are the points that I would like you all to consider before giving me your valuable suggestions/opinions

1- Delivery time (I would like to have the car soon but can wait for a maximum of 6-8 weeks for delivery)
    2- Resale value
    3- I am a very hard footed driver so I would prefer a smoother acceleration
    4- Fuel Eco
    5- Comfort
    6- I am based in Islamabad but I also make the occasional trip to Lahore, Faisalabad, Jhang etc (Trip frequency is around 3-4 times a year)
    7- I am going to be going for the Navi with Civic, so the price difference between the two is a little above 120K. But that's not a huge factor. I don't believe in saving 120K and then cribbing about my decision
    8- Which car is good in maneuverability?
    9- I have owned Camry 2006 and Mazda 6 2009 (abroad) and have been on a GLi and Suzuki Swift since coming to Pakistan in 2011. I loved the Swift

Note:
    Please do not suggest me anything other than these two options. I personally don't believe in spending 2 Million on a JDM second-hand used car. I have lived in Japan, and I know how cars are driven there and what kind of stock is shipped to Pakistan, etc. Of course there are exceptions. But this is only my personal opinion - and I know I could be very wrong in this Hence no offence to all my brothers who are JDM car owners

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Get a civic mt

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Aunda Fan

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

corolla is rough and tough
    smooth drive economical
    will loose money on resale like civic(maybe slightly less)
    very high risk item in terms of theft
    civic stylish,
    looks and feels better and different. an xli can be upgraded to look like a altis
    fun to drive(1.8 would accelerate much better,high top speed)
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Familywise: Go for Altis.
    Otherwise : Go for Civic. Civic is cramped as compared to Altis but it gives u more driving pleasure.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Alhumdulillah, I own both the cars you have narrowed down your options to and I have have been driving both of them inter- city/intra city, have taken them to farthest areas of Punjab, where road conditions are extreme and pathetic.
    Based on my personal experience and factors you have selected for your decision making process, I would suggest you to go for Altis MT.
    Short delivery time , better resale (if not stolen), smooth, comfortable, durable body and suspension, have excellent acceleration (even better then 9th Gen - may be its because of 6-speed dual vvti transmission or i am using mobil1 high grade synthetic oil, don't know the reason but feels like it's slightly better than civic) and ready to take the beating on rough roads.
    Two major downsides of Altis MT are its braking at high speeds and being highly prone to thefts and snatching , which you can counter or minimize by installing good quality tires and getting the ride insured.
    Fuel Mileage of Altis MT= 12 Kmpl with AC within City and 15kmpl on highway.

On the other hand, Civic is also a very good car indeed, offers absolute driving pleasure (way better than Altis),
    peace of mind in terms of safety/security, better handling at high speeds, excellent braking, slightly expensive, delivery time is more (ranging from 2-3 months, you might get MT variant sooner than prosmatec), excellent mean of transportation for urban dwellers, can be taken to remote areas occasionally but would definitely require strict regimen of maintenance to keep the ride fit if regular trips are to be made on rough roads, otherwise definitely will start aging faster than you might even think.
    Fuel Mileage = 13 kmpl with AC and 15-17 kmpl on highway depending on your driving style.

Now ultimate choice is yours both cars are good and best available options in this range.
    I completely endorse your viewpoint on JDM cars Cheers!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Tagged
    24 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniac View Post
    Alhumdulillah, I own both the cars you have narrowed down your options to and I have have been driving both of them inter- city/intra city, have taken them to farthest areas of Punjab, where road conditions are extreme and pathetic.
    Based on my personal experience and factors you have selected for your decision making process, I would suggest you to go for Altis MT.
    Short delivery time , better resale (if not stolen), smooth, comfortable, durable body and suspension, have excellent acceleration (even better then 9th Gen - may be its because of 6-speed dual vvti transmission or i am using mobil1 high grade synthetic oil, don't know the reason but feels like it's slightly better than civic) and ready to take the beating on rough roads.
    Two major downsides of Altis MT are its braking at high speeds and being highly prone to thefts and snatching , which you can counter or minimize by installing good quality tires and getting the ride insured.

On the other hand, Civic is also a very good car indeed, offers absolute driving pleasure (way better than Altis),
    peace of mind in terms of safety/security, better handling at high speeds, excellent braking, slightly expensive, delivery time is more (ranging from 2-3 months, you might get MT variant sooner than prosmatec), excellent mean of transportation for urban dwellers, can be taken to remote areas occasionally but would definitely require strict regimen of maintenance to keep the ride fit if regular trips are to be made on rough roads, otherwise definitely will start aging faster than you might even think.
    Fuel Mileage = 13 kmpl with AC and 15-17 kmpl on highway depending on your driving style.

Now ultimate choice is yours both cars are good and best available options in this range.

asif bhai very good comparison
    one thing i dont understand , altis 6 speed and civic 5 speed than why civic having better millage ?
    www.facebook.com/AhmadYarsAutoSpa

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

sir for ur kind information i have 2 altis and 1 gli and 1 civic at my home one is now iam selling now.
    The petrol consumption of altis 2012 and 2013 is 16.5 in city with a/c and 18.5 on long route.
    My gli 2010 gives me 14 in city and 15.5 on long routes.
    The petrol of islamabad is very good it always increase the millage.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ahmad_yar View Post
    asif bhai very good comparison
    one thing i dont understand , altis 6 speed and civic 5 speed than why civic having better millage ?
    Ahmad Bhai !
    Surprisingly, despite having 1.8 ltr engine, it's more fuel efficient than Altis 1.6. It may even beat cars under 1300CC category or less in terms of fuel efficiency.
    Seems like Honda has addressed the worst trait of 8th Gen. (fuel guzzler) by making 9th Gen more aerodynamic and fine-tuning other mechanical aspects to produce a more fuel efficient car. It can easily do 600kms in 1 full tank. One can easily use it as a daily runner if traffic conditions improve within city.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Tagged
    24 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ahmad Bhai !
    Surprisingly, despite having 1.8 ltr engine, it's more fuel efficient than Altis 1.6. It may even beat cars under 1300CC category or less in terms of fuel efficiency.
    Seems like Honda has addressed the worst trait of 8th Gen. (fuel guzzler) by making 9th Gen more aerodynamic and fine-tuning other mechanical aspects to produce a more fuel efficient car. It can easily do 600kms in 1 full tank. One can easily use it as a daily runner if traffic conditions improve within city.
    ohh yes civic also 1.8 l , i almost missed this factor too , its great 1,8l 5 speed doing better than 1.6 , 6 speed
    main te honda he laesan
    www.facebook.com/AhmadYarsAutoSpa

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you sir for your detailed comparison.
    I am also more inclined for an Altis and might even think of upgrading it to a SR. So that's my second question then -- if I do get the SR (ofcourse, MT), is it really worth it in terms of resale? How much of a depreciation would I be looking at if I were to dispose off the car after, let's say - a couple of years?
    The theft part is definitely a drawback for the Altis. Corollas get stolen more than any other car in it's category. But yes, you're right, that can be dealt with by having it insured.
    One other con for the Altis is that (from the rumors that I have heard) Toyota might be changing the shape in a year's time. Could you please comment on that as well? Do you think there's a good chance of the shape being changed after about a year or so?

The only thing about Civic that impresses me is the "Style" aspect. But as we all know, "Style" is always short-lived.

Thank you to all the others who have replied with their valuable suggestions as well -- mubeenshahid, hash4u, aqs29, agecoo, ahmad_yar -- really appreciate it

@agecoo
    agecoo, Thank you for pointing me to your ad. I would prefer a zero-meter car, but just for my own information, how much are you asking for your ride? A ball-park figure would help as that would give me a good idea as to what's the re-sale value of this car.

Thanks,
    Ali

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by agecoo View Post
    sir for ur kind information i have 2 altis and 1 gli and 1 civic at my home one is now iam selling now.
    The petrol consumption of altis 2012 and 2013 is 16.5 in city with a/c and 18.5 on long route.
    My gli 2010 gives me 14 in city and 15.5 on long routes.
    The petrol of islamabad is very good it always increase the millage.

Sir, you must have to drive leisurely on 6 lane roads without much traffic or obstruction to get 16.5kmpl. In city like Lahore where you have to stop every 2 mins, its hard to get that kind of mileage and besides nobody can drive monotonously just for the sake of mileage. It gets boring after a while. where is the fun part of having 6 speed MT, when you are too fuel conscious.
    18.5 kmpl is a new thing for me. I m not saying that you are overstating but I have never experienced that kind of mileage on my Altis though. There have been a few instance of filling my ride from ISB as well but didnt notice any difference.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ahmad_yar View Post
    ohh yes civic also 1.8 l , i almost missed this factor too , its great 1,8l 5 speed doing better than 1.6 , 6 speed
    main te honda he laesan
    Ahmad Bhai !! Tuanon Honda ee suit kerdi aai, oo v laal color ich.. kali karman aaali noun vaichoo hun sir ji ... bara pyar ker laya odhe nal

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Altis 1.6 MT with tracker insurance and manual steering lock ))
    PREDATOR 11th Gen Corolla and RED MAMBA Reborn...
    Blast from the Past Sabre 9th gen Civic n Blue Max Reborn...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I may not have much of an experience . But I would prefer the Civic , but if you plan to drive out of station , then for the bumpy ride I would say go for Altis. Becuase at times , if Civic hits two to three hard bumps , Its tyres need to be sometimes taken for alignment .

And look at the difference in budget!

And if you buy the Altis with cruisetronic , thats useless in cities , because in Pakistan you have to deal with awful traffic and illetrate drivers . They will suddenly come out of nowhere thats where the cruisecontrol may be hazardous if you dont manage to brake on time .If you travel out of station then cruisecontrol is good , otherwise it will be a useless component of your car which might use up your fuel to some extent.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by muhammadmohsinaslam View Post
    I may not have much of an experience . But I would prefer the Civic , but if you plan to drive out of station , then for the bumpy ride I would say go for Altis. Becuase at times , if Civic hits two to three hard bumps , Its tyres need to be sometimes taken for alignment .

And look at the difference in budget!

And if you buy the Altis with cruisetronic , thats useless in cities , because in Pakistan you have to deal with awful traffic and illetrate drivers . They will suddenly come out of nowhere thats where the cruisecontrol may be hazardous if you dont manage to brake on time .If you travel out of station then cruisecontrol is good , otherwise it will be a useless component of your car which might use up your fuel to some extent.
    Thanks for your advice. However, I am not looking to get an AT car (be it Altis or Civic). I am well aware that the cruise option can not be used on any road/hwy/expressway in Pakistan with the exception of the Motorway. I was talking about the Altis SR MT version.

Altis can take the beating for it being a Toyota, whereas a Civic being more sophisticated has to be handled with more care especially when driving out station. However, should that factor really be a deal-breaker because I won't be going out-station for maybe once in a blue moon.

One other thing that I would like an opinion about - I am a fairly tall guy (6 '2) and I drive with the seat upright. Had it been still the Civic reborn in the offering, I would have never even thought about it and would have straight away went for an Altis - because of the height factor. So can anyone comment on that? I know I won't have a problem with this in an Altis but not sure if same could be said about the new Civic as well...

Once again, I really appreciate all you taking time out to offer me your precious opinions JazakAllah!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

On one of the other threads where someone had asked a similar question (comparing the Altis 1.8 with the Civic Reborn 1.8, both 2010 models, I think), I read something which got me thinking again.

One of the members had stated that if you buy an Altis, get ready to be congratulated for buying an XLi and then having to correct them later.

While this is a very shallow consideration, the fact of the matter remains that to a layman, there's absolutely no difference in an XLi and Altis - I wish the Toyota guys would have at least made some solid exterior changes (like maybe installing a decent spoiler, changing the front grill, etc) and some solid interior changes (having a different dashboard, etc) to make the Altis standout from it's cousins in the Corolla family.

Another thing - one senior member here had pointed out that Civic delivery times are more than those of Altis. Does anyone have any latest information on the delivery times of a Civic i-VTEC MT?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sir altis has fog lamps, rain sensors,top of the line NAVIGATION and a very good camera, retractable mirrors, company fitted alloys, leater seating, an amazing Cluster . also the fun of M/T is the 6 forward gears. And not to mention the smoothest suspension that you can get in a zero meter car......
    JDM Always 2 STEPs AHEAD..........

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if u have locked your option for civic check this thread
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/veh...-delivery-time

the member biturbo seems to be have links in honda capital
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by FarhanAnwarKhan View Post
    Sir altis has fog lamps, rain sensors,top of the line NAVIGATION and a very good camera, retractable mirrors, company fitted alloys, leater seating, an amazing Cluster . also the fun of M/T is the 6 forward gears. And not to mention the smoothest suspension that you can get in a zero meter car......
    No doubt. You're right. But I was talking about looking at the car from a distance - there isn't much of a difference between it and an XLi. The "wow" factor is not there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List