4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Honda City vs. Toyota Corolla [My personal experience]

Okay so one of the most commonly discussed topics! Toyota Corolla and the Honda City's debate. I'm going to try and put an end to it by sharing my personal experience with both of the cars without any personal hate or love towards any of them.

I drove both brand new Honda City 1.3 and Toyota Corolla GLI 1.3 manual - 2013. Both cars on Petrol and in complete genuine condition without any alteration whatsoever.

I'm going to put down all the analysis and fairly simple terms without making it too technical so a common buyer would be able to understand.

Seating Capacity:
    - Both Honda City and Toyota Corolla have almost the same seating capacity. While Corolla has a slight bit of more space according to the details and hardly noticeable, I didn't find a very major difference. Specially in the front seat.

Seating Comfort:
    - I don't understand why people over-exaggerate the comfort of Toyota Corolla's seating comfort, the difference is definitely there but not much. Both Honda City and Toyota Corolla's seating comfort is almost the same with Corolla providing around 10% - 15% more comfort.

Interior Build Quality:
    - Once again, both of the cars have pretty similar build quality just like any other Pakistani vehicle. Both offers cheap plastic made dashboard, consoles etc. However, I did notice that Toyota Corolla's build looks a bit better.

Interior Features:
    - Again pretty typical features, both of the cars offer almost the same features. There is a very annoying part of Honda City's dashboard box where the cover just falls down knocking the board when you open it, while Toyota did a fine job on making it smoothly coming down and making no noise at all. Toyota Corolla also offers dual boxes on dashboard one opening upwards as you may have noticed.

Air Conditioning:
    - Both Toyota and Honda has successfully made their air condition pretty powerful even in hot daylight. I failed to find any major differences.

Steering:
    - Very similar steering quality. Both of the cars are fairly smooth and the steering is pretty light. If there would be any difference I hardly doubt that it would not be negligible.

Handling:
    - Honda clearly won the cake here. At both lower and higher speeds controlling Corolla is much harder than controlling City. As soon as you hit 100 KM+ You'll find yourself losing control of the Corolla while the driver can keep the City in control at fairly high speeds.

Braking (ABS):
    - Once again I found Honda City's braking quality a bit better than Toyota Corolla's. Not a major difference but I'd say the braking of Honda City is at least 15% - 20% better than the braking of Toyota Corolla.

Suspension:
    - This is very obvious. Toyota Corolla offers much softer suspension than Honda City and one of the reasons why it's mostly preferred on bumpy roads. The difference I experience would be around 30% - 35% more softer suspension than Honda City.

Cabin Sound:
    - Once again, Toyota takes the cake here. The cabin sound of Toyota Corolla is around 15% - 20% less than Honda City's due to the suspension differences.

Engine Sound:
    - Honda City is a bit quieter than Toyota Corolla. The engine pretty much makes no sound at all. I'd say around 20% - 25% quieter than Toyota Corolla.

Power Windows:
    - Honda City's power windows are around 10% - 15% louder than Toyota Corolla's.

Transmission:
    - Pretty similar. Failed to spot any major differences.

Acceleration:
    - Honda City due to its lightweight is pretty faster in terms of acceleration. While Toyota being an under-powered car is certainly not as good as Honda City when it comes to acceleration.

Overall Driving Speed:
    - Even the Toyota Corolla owners would have accept it with a heavy heart that it's very under-powered. Reason being its weight / power ratio. The 1.3 VVTI engine simply isn't enough for a car like Toyota Corolla. However, Honda City is pretty lightweight and hence a bit faster than Toyota Corolla. I also drove a Toyota Corolla GLI 1.6 Automatic and that is really something when it comes to weight / power ratio.

* A true story: I wanted to look for a used Toyota Corolla and I made a call to one of the owners selling his GLI in DAWN newspaper. I told him that I'd like to visit and have a look at his car, the moment I said that, he told me "Please also acknowledge that Toyota Corolla is very under-powered. You might wanna look for something else if you would like a car that is fast". I don't intend to offend anyone, I'm just sharing what I experienced and it is indeed a true story.

The Drive on well carpeted roads:
    Honda City offers a bit more driving pleasure on properly carpeted roads than Toyota Corolla. Reason being its better handling, braking and acceleration.

The Drive on bumpy roads:
    Toyota Corolla is a much better choice due to its softer suspension and minimal cabin sound. Honda City simply fails to provide any pleasure or comfort here.

Exterior Build Quality:
    Toyota Corolla offers around 10% - 15% better build quality than Honda City.

Ground Clearance:
    Toyota Corolla provides better ground clearance than Honda City.

Turning Radius:
    While technically both of the car should offer the same turning radius but Toyota fails to do so. Honda City's turning is much easier than Toyota Corolla.

Other factors:
    - I also noticed that Toyota Corolla has some very unnecessary width that makes it more likely to get dented and scratched in heavy traffic. Honda City however is a bit compact and hence a bit safer.
    - Toyota Corolla offers an extra brake light I'm not sure what it's called while Honda City doesn't.
    - Honda City offers a modern oil cap opening system by just a slight push while Toyota Corolla still offers the same old system operated through inside the car using a pull button.

Resale Value:
    Toyota Corolla GLI is a hot cake when it comes to selling. Its resale value is pretty good while Honda City's resale value is not really impressive.

Spare Parts:
    Honda City can be a bit more costly when it comes to spare parts while Toyota Corolla's spare parts are pretty cheap.

Mileage:
    As I didn't drive both of these cars for too long, I would not comment on it except I've heard from the owners that Honda City provides better fuel consumption than Toyota Corolla.

Durability:
    I can't simply make any comments here reason being that both of the Honda City and Toyota Corolla's new shapes are not very old in the market but this shouldn't be different just like most of the factors. You can simply find any 3 years old Honda City working perfectly just like any other 3 years old Toyota Corolla. It pretty much depends upon the owner whether he knows how to take care of a car or not.

That's pretty much it. Once again, as I stated earlier I've tried my level best to deliver all my experience very honestly without favoring any of the cars regardless of any personal love or hate to any of the make or model. Any other input is warmly welcome. Hope I helped the people who are in the dilemma of choosing between these two!
    Thank you very much!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by c4capricorn View Post
    Unfortunately, u got it all wrong.

Please do not include Civics and Altis' in the debate since the topic is a comparison between a City and Corolla GLi. both the cars have their own pros and cons...live with this fact.

And to all the ppl who converted their XLis, GLis to Altis, u cannot convert Meera to Penelope Cruz just by a simple makeover or augmentations....Wasting money in making an XLi an Altis is absurd since both cars look the same. If i put a 1.8 ivtec in city it wont make it a civic. not even close. If u want to experience something big, buy big coz what u r doing is exactly wat pak suzuki has been doing for the past 20 years with the Mehran.

And about 180kmph? guys please. let alone getting to 180 is a challenging task and u did it with 4 adult passengers. better get that speedo checked since neither city nor corolla has the potential to get to 180 remaining stable at that speed is a different debate.
    Agree wid each n every word of urz :-)
    Altis reaching n stayin at 180 is still Acceptable but xli. . ... Ya Allah khair ho .

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ali051214 View Post
    Bro aise ppl ka kuch nae ho sakta, thr r d guyz jo sun ko daikh rae hngein nd bolein *** Its.night . They are hopeless , Allah vaqae inko Damag use karny ki Taufeeq day jo.Gli.and Civic ki Equal size ki waja.say Equal Stability prove Kar rahay hain.
    Mujy Hamdardi aise sub ppl.say.
    han na bro ab kuch din bd aisy log kahingy gli r lamborgini ka size same hy to inki b stability equal hy
    Some people need to open their small minds instead of their big mouths...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rajahasnain92 View Post
    han na bro ab kuch din bd aisy log kahingy gli r lamborgini ka size same hy to inki b stability equal hy

hahhaha.... Xactly , Jaisay Cultus & Honda Type R hatchback ka size equal ha, wo bhi Equal Stability posses karti hain ;-)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ali051214 View Post
    hahhaha.... Xactly , Jaisay Cultus & Honda Type R hatchback ka size equal ha, wo bhi Equal Stability posses karti hain ;-)
    hahhahahahahahhahahahahahaha lolziannnn

Sent from my GT-I9500 using PW Forums mobile app
    Some people need to open their small minds instead of their big mouths...

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Class Comparison of Toyota and Honda

Sorry but i do not agree with you ppl.
    In my opinion, you can compare honda city with toyota corolla GLI 1.3.
    And you can compare honda civic with Toyota Corolla ALTIS
    These are the same classes. honda city and toyota corolla GLI are compared in the same class, whereas Toyota Corolla ALTIS 1.8 and Honda Civic are compared in the same class. You cannot compare GLI 1.3 with civic

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dynamikmind View Post
    Sorry but i do not agree with you ppl.
    In my opinion, you can compare honda city with toyota corolla GLI 1.3.
    And you can compare honda civic with Toyota Corolla ALTIS
    These are the same classes. honda city and toyota corolla GLI are compared in the same class, whereas Toyota Corolla ALTIS 1.8 and Honda Civic are compared in the same class. You cannot compare GLI 1.3 with civic
    Brother that's totally Fair what you said above, but don't matter what ever you say, what can u think of ppls knowledge & their mentality who are compairing Car's Stability with sizes..,...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by chwaseem View Post
    City to bachi ha choti c
    Gli size equal to1.8civic so its road grip is almost equal to civic
    Ager koi is baat ko nai manta to main us k ly sirf dua hi ker sakta hon

Sent from my GT-I9300 using PW Forums mobile app
    Nice piece of info you got there bro ...!!!! Captain Retard medal goes to you....!!!
    None of the brave deserve fair....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Newton View Post
    I just love the ignorance and arrogance of Pakwheelers, corolla and civic belong to compact sedan class city is sub compact, corolla comes in 2.0 liter engine in Thailand what should we compare it with ? Accord ? Should we compare civic si with camry and accord ?
    Its simple we will never learn.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Let me make it simple for you Mr.Newton. The topic was only between corolla gli and city. I dont know why civic is dragged here.

Set aside the trends in the rest of the world. Their markets are different as there are lots of different car manufacturers.

In Pakistan Corolla Altis 1.8/1.6 is the one and only competitor of Civic 1.8.

Corolla xli/gli are a different story. You are a fool if you say that a xli/gli is better than civic because it has more sales. Gli/xli are to be compared with city/city aspire and liana.
    None of the brave deserve fair....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Come on you guys what happened to your thinking there is no comparision between city and corolla just park both the car and have a look from behind city look come in the category of 1000 CC not 1300 CC and corolla has more leg space and comfortable level is good as compared to city .haan what you find in city is all shasha nothing else get brand new city and corolla and drive for one year or two year after the time you gonna feel and listen a lot of noise and work from different areas of the car for city but i m sure corolla is not going to spend a single penny .lets take example of cab taxi wali who stand on the airport why they always go for corolla because they know what a driver gona do with the car a car is not going to spend a single penny on car

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Newton View Post
    Every thing u mentioned is based on personal preferences, Toyota never failed in competition I personally think Honda gave open market to toyota in 1300cc and now 1600cc whereas I rem exi civic was a huge sucess in pakistan and gave gli corolla a run for its life.

I bought corolla in 2010 xli brand new, I was inclined more towards city as it has all the features power windows abs and every thing but after looking at it closely and driving it I opted corolla which to me is always a better choice.

The other day I had to take my family in a cousins city as soon as we started mt wife asked me which car is this I said city and her reply was "shukar Allah ka we bought corolla", now thats a comment from a person who cannot even figure it out which car we were in.

But at the end of the day city is also a good car and about new civic I just love the interior and thats all about it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

i m a little bit surprised how u r comparing xli with city...if u compared gli with city it is understandable but

one thing brother...i always thought that that gli is better then city but after examining threads here in PW...i found that i was wrong...

may be someone who owns a car which is 2000 model but maintained it nicely and the other guy who has 2010 model but used it roughly, does not mean that the new car is cheaper then the older...it also highly depends on the condition of the car and the way how one uses that...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxud1 View Post
    all of u r comparing civic with corolla but look at price tag also civic vti promatec is round about 24.5 lacs while altis is 21 lacs , so 3.5 lacs price worth too much money ppl spend additional 3.5 lacs on altis and then see what comes out of it , u can install a brand new 2.0 litres dual vvti in it , better suspension , passenger airbag and side curtain airbags, better sound system, immobilizer , trd kits , hids and much more then it will surely beat civic !!!
    i agree with what u said about differences in price tag...but dont u see the difference in comforts and interior of civic and corrola?

have u seen interior of new civic? digital meter? LCD on the left side of digital meter...do u think that ever corolla altis is going to beat that...if u go for interior then i must say that i own 2005 civic and its interior is far better then 2013 altis...and interior of reborn and 9th generation civic is much much better then 2005 model...so how can u say that spending 350K makes ur altis better then new civic...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

People will talk
    indus is thinking
    xli 1.3
    Gli 1.6
    And altis 1.8
    lets see what happens

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Maxud1
    Sure 3.50 k can let us buy new 2.0 ltr and all other stuff
    I am u done it or what
    @Assassin123
    Well its no gli vs civic so better not to go there

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saad432 View Post
    @Maxud1
    Sure 3.50 k can let us buy new 2.0 ltr and all other stuff
    I am u done it or what
    @Assassin123
    Well its no gli vs civic so better not to go there
    i know but people are discussing this here that's y i got into this

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Okay
    Cool and what is your choice??

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

While i can't consider this as a review, comparison or anything of the sort, can you actually specify quantitative aspects with proper calculations?
    10,20,30% of WHAT? How did you measure the magnitude? Against what standards? Where are the in/dependent variables used?
    You merely 'calculated' FACTS through your personal judgement.

Example: Corolla has a mixture of different cockpit materials employed in its construction against Honda's consistend ABS plastic.

Elaborate this single point with reference to material, its relative strength, its shock absorption capabilities, its durability after UV exposure based on FACTS through international community testings.

This comment will shape you better-Believe it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Aoa.mery pass khud honda city hy.main ny jo differ kia hy woh yeh k honda ki seat kafi nechi hoti hy jiss ki waja se old age person easly uth nhi sakta.
    Honda car ki resale achi nhi jb k corolla ki resale ziaya achi hy
    Parts easly aur kabli dono mill jatay hyn
    Honda ki deggi choti hoti hy
    Corolla ka room Ziaya bara hy honda ki back seat me space kam hoti hy

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by faadi112 View Post
    While i can't consider this as a review, comparison or anything of the sort, can you actually specify quantitative aspects with proper calculations?
    10,20,30% of WHAT? How did you measure the magnitude? Against what standards? Where are the in/dependent variables used?
    You merely 'calculated' FACTS through your personal judgement.

Example: Corolla has a mixture of different cockpit materials employed in its construction against Honda's consistend ABS plastic.

Elaborate this single point with reference to material, its relative strength, its shock absorption capabilities, its durability after UV exposure based on FACTS through international community testings.

This comment will shape you better-Believe it.
    I don't expect you or anyone else to take this thread as the hard work of my entire life in which I made a documentary on how Toyota was using platinum as the secret ingredient in their cockpit, these are indeed merely calculated facts based on, mind you my personal experiences and not 'judgement'.

I've CLEARLY MENTIONED that it's only my unbiased personal experience for common buyers like me who avoid getting into much technical details. I don't expect you to come put a 5-star medal on this thread or approve it with your great wisdom so I'll be able to understand the great purpose of life.

You clearly failed miserably to understand the purpose and intention of this thread which was to share a personal and unbiased experience about the common factors of both cars without getting into any technical details or calculated numbers and I'm pretty sick of quoting myself again and again to smart asses like you so take your e-peen somewhere else and learn to read before you post.

Thank you very kindly.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Haris.K View Post
    I don't expect you or anyone else to take this thread as the hard work of my entire life in which I made a documentary on how Toyota was using platinum as the secret ingredient in their cockpit, these are indeed merely calculated facts based on, mind you my personal experiences and not 'judgement'.

I've CLEARLY MENTIONED that it's only my unbiased personal experience for common buyers like me who avoid getting into much technical details. I don't expect you to come put a 5-star medal on this thread or approve it with your great wisdom so I'll be able to understand the great purpose of life.

You clearly failed miserably to understand the purpose and intention of this thread which was to share a personal and unbiased experience about the common factors of both cars without getting into any technical details or calculated numbers and I'm pretty sick of quoting myself again and again to smart asses like you so take your e-peen somewhere else and learn to read before you post.

Thank you very kindly.
    'Smart ***', 'e-peen'. To tell you, i am fairly aged but would still never use such a language for anyone. (No matter how much i frown upon their attempts to make a fool out of people.)

You wrote a review. You never wrote not to criticize. The thing is, your documentary aside, i prefer to educate people on whats factually better. Even to the point where i have to teach them hours. You seem to belong to a good family, educated through probably an international curriculum, taught out to be courteous. To be honest, to be really honest, this attitude would bring you nowhere. Note that there is no sarcasm in this post while your last clause is drowned with it.
    But still, i understand you jumped in fury and used your end to end mental powers to belittle my postage; you succeeded actually. It did hit me the way you wrote 'smart ***'-

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Haris.K View Post

Thank you very kindly.
    I will wait for your next wave of fury, would read through it and leave without commenting to ensure that you will live with it.
    May God bless you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

User Tag List