4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Honda City vs. Toyota Corolla [My personal experience]

Okay so one of the most commonly discussed topics! Toyota Corolla and the Honda City's debate. I'm going to try and put an end to it by sharing my personal experience with both of the cars without any personal hate or love towards any of them.

I drove both brand new Honda City 1.3 and Toyota Corolla GLI 1.3 manual - 2013. Both cars on Petrol and in complete genuine condition without any alteration whatsoever.

I'm going to put down all the analysis and fairly simple terms without making it too technical so a common buyer would be able to understand.

Seating Capacity:
    - Both Honda City and Toyota Corolla have almost the same seating capacity. While Corolla has a slight bit of more space according to the details and hardly noticeable, I didn't find a very major difference. Specially in the front seat.

Seating Comfort:
    - I don't understand why people over-exaggerate the comfort of Toyota Corolla's seating comfort, the difference is definitely there but not much. Both Honda City and Toyota Corolla's seating comfort is almost the same with Corolla providing around 10% - 15% more comfort.

Interior Build Quality:
    - Once again, both of the cars have pretty similar build quality just like any other Pakistani vehicle. Both offers cheap plastic made dashboard, consoles etc. However, I did notice that Toyota Corolla's build looks a bit better.

Interior Features:
    - Again pretty typical features, both of the cars offer almost the same features. There is a very annoying part of Honda City's dashboard box where the cover just falls down knocking the board when you open it, while Toyota did a fine job on making it smoothly coming down and making no noise at all. Toyota Corolla also offers dual boxes on dashboard one opening upwards as you may have noticed.

Air Conditioning:
    - Both Toyota and Honda has successfully made their air condition pretty powerful even in hot daylight. I failed to find any major differences.

Steering:
    - Very similar steering quality. Both of the cars are fairly smooth and the steering is pretty light. If there would be any difference I hardly doubt that it would not be negligible.

Handling:
    - Honda clearly won the cake here. At both lower and higher speeds controlling Corolla is much harder than controlling City. As soon as you hit 100 KM+ You'll find yourself losing control of the Corolla while the driver can keep the City in control at fairly high speeds.

Braking (ABS):
    - Once again I found Honda City's braking quality a bit better than Toyota Corolla's. Not a major difference but I'd say the braking of Honda City is at least 15% - 20% better than the braking of Toyota Corolla.

Suspension:
    - This is very obvious. Toyota Corolla offers much softer suspension than Honda City and one of the reasons why it's mostly preferred on bumpy roads. The difference I experience would be around 30% - 35% more softer suspension than Honda City.

Cabin Sound:
    - Once again, Toyota takes the cake here. The cabin sound of Toyota Corolla is around 15% - 20% less than Honda City's due to the suspension differences.

Engine Sound:
    - Honda City is a bit quieter than Toyota Corolla. The engine pretty much makes no sound at all. I'd say around 20% - 25% quieter than Toyota Corolla.

Power Windows:
    - Honda City's power windows are around 10% - 15% louder than Toyota Corolla's.

Transmission:
    - Pretty similar. Failed to spot any major differences.

Acceleration:
    - Honda City due to its lightweight is pretty faster in terms of acceleration. While Toyota being an under-powered car is certainly not as good as Honda City when it comes to acceleration.

Overall Driving Speed:
    - Even the Toyota Corolla owners would have accept it with a heavy heart that it's very under-powered. Reason being its weight / power ratio. The 1.3 VVTI engine simply isn't enough for a car like Toyota Corolla. However, Honda City is pretty lightweight and hence a bit faster than Toyota Corolla. I also drove a Toyota Corolla GLI 1.6 Automatic and that is really something when it comes to weight / power ratio.

* A true story: I wanted to look for a used Toyota Corolla and I made a call to one of the owners selling his GLI in DAWN newspaper. I told him that I'd like to visit and have a look at his car, the moment I said that, he told me "Please also acknowledge that Toyota Corolla is very under-powered. You might wanna look for something else if you would like a car that is fast". I don't intend to offend anyone, I'm just sharing what I experienced and it is indeed a true story.

The Drive on well carpeted roads:
    Honda City offers a bit more driving pleasure on properly carpeted roads than Toyota Corolla. Reason being its better handling, braking and acceleration.

The Drive on bumpy roads:
    Toyota Corolla is a much better choice due to its softer suspension and minimal cabin sound. Honda City simply fails to provide any pleasure or comfort here.

Exterior Build Quality:
    Toyota Corolla offers around 10% - 15% better build quality than Honda City.

Ground Clearance:
    Toyota Corolla provides better ground clearance than Honda City.

Turning Radius:
    While technically both of the car should offer the same turning radius but Toyota fails to do so. Honda City's turning is much easier than Toyota Corolla.

Other factors:
    - I also noticed that Toyota Corolla has some very unnecessary width that makes it more likely to get dented and scratched in heavy traffic. Honda City however is a bit compact and hence a bit safer.
    - Toyota Corolla offers an extra brake light I'm not sure what it's called while Honda City doesn't.
    - Honda City offers a modern oil cap opening system by just a slight push while Toyota Corolla still offers the same old system operated through inside the car using a pull button.

Resale Value:
    Toyota Corolla GLI is a hot cake when it comes to selling. Its resale value is pretty good while Honda City's resale value is not really impressive.

Spare Parts:
    Honda City can be a bit more costly when it comes to spare parts while Toyota Corolla's spare parts are pretty cheap.

Mileage:
    As I didn't drive both of these cars for too long, I would not comment on it except I've heard from the owners that Honda City provides better fuel consumption than Toyota Corolla.

Durability:
    I can't simply make any comments here reason being that both of the Honda City and Toyota Corolla's new shapes are not very old in the market but this shouldn't be different just like most of the factors. You can simply find any 3 years old Honda City working perfectly just like any other 3 years old Toyota Corolla. It pretty much depends upon the owner whether he knows how to take care of a car or not.

That's pretty much it. Once again, as I stated earlier I've tried my level best to deliver all my experience very honestly without favoring any of the cars regardless of any personal love or hate to any of the make or model. Any other input is warmly welcome. Hope I helped the people who are in the dilemma of choosing between these two!
    Thank you very much!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by faadi112 View Post
    I will wait for your next wave of fury, would read through it and leave without commenting to ensure that you will live with it.
    May God bless you.
    Goodness! I don't intend to stop you from educating people, please feel free to do so but not while you criticize my thread unnecessarily. I already have mentioned that it is indeed my personal experience and experiences vary from person to person, it's fairly easy to understand, I believe.

Quite honestly, I didn't intend to offend you or your response and I have nothing personal against you or anyone else on this forum for that matter but I'm quite sick of quoting myself again and again. To simplify it even more, it's like I said "Hey, this colour doesn't look good." and people coming up saying "Yeah you know what? This colour sucks big time!" I hope you'll understand and refrain from posting or discussing that has already been elaborated enough.

No offence, peace.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Corolla is better option than City which is a sub compact sedan.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Corolla is better option than City which is a sub compact sedan.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Personal Opinion

Very good thread. Even I was confused few months back between selecting whether Corolla Gli 1.3L or Honda City M/T 1.3L. You all will agree that buying a car in Pakistan is somewhat different than buying a car in another country. I ended up buying Honda City and I'll put down the reasons for my selection.

Parameter Honda City 1.3L M/T Corolla GLi 1.3 M/T Winner
    Fuel Consumption within City 14kms/litre 11kms/litre City
    Fuel Consumption within City 18-19kms/litre 13-14kms/litre City
    Insurance Premium 3.0% 5.0% City
    Insurance Pre requisite to install tracker N/A Will not be insured unless you install tracker City
    Probability of theft Low High City
    Front Brakes Disc Brakes Disc Brakes Tie
    Rear Brakes Drum Brakes Disc Brakes Corolla
    Braking System Antilock Braking System (ABS) ABS Tie
    Tires 175/65/R15 Euro Tire 195/65/R15 Euro Tire Corolla
    Max. Horsepower
    @ 6,000 RPM
    100 bhp 84 bhp City
    Max. Torque (Newton metre / RPM) 131/4,400 121/4,400 City
    Throttle Reponse in early shifting If you do early shifting which means when your RPM is 2,000 and you shift up the gear then you will feel as if your car is out of fuel and it has lost all the power. I believe this is a sign of an intelligent car which signals you that you have put the wrong gear. If you do early shifting in corolla the car will response better than city but will create an unusual sound. Corolla will be better in this scenario response wise when you shift gears early but this is not appropriate driving. You be the judge
    Matching Door Handle Yes No City
    Speakers You can not install speakers on the back side above trunk. You can only install the speakers on doors which does not give enough room for speakers to generate excellent sound quality on high volumes. You can install the speakers on the back side above trunk. Corolla
    Interior Finishing
    (Personal Opinion)
    Better than Corolla as AC knobs are better and door styling is better. Yes the dashboard is hard plastic but if you dont try to knock it, it looks good esp now in two color tone. I dont find Corolla's interior that appealing. Slim foam padding beneath the top of dash board gives a better feel but styling wise its not appealing. AC knobs are pathetic just like Liana. City
    Resale Value Better than Corolla Lower than City City
    Spare Parts Cost Expensive Cheaper than City Corolla
    Spare Parts Durability Higher than Corolla Lower than City City
    Price PKR 1,548,000 PKR 1,729,000 City

Some might disagree with the my opinion but believe me City is a much better choice. Its a common misconception that resale value of corolla is better than city however resale value of city is infact better than corolla.

Corolla 2014 is for PKR 1,729,000 and 2009 Corolla in mint condition is available within range of PKR 1,300,000 -1,350,000 which means it is available at discount factor of 21.92%.
    Whereas City 2014 is for PKR 1,548,000 and 2009 City in mint condition is available within range of PKR 1,250,000 -1,300,000 which means it is available at discount factor of 16.02%.
    Now you be the judge and tell which car has better resale and losses more value with time. Trust me you see corolla more often than city because House of Habib has good contacts with government and has been able to make corolla state financed car. All the government officials have corolla. Just like many govt officials working in interior have been allotted Suzuki Jimny which is surely a waste of money. Coming back to the point, Corolla's complete electric wiring is localized which is done by Agri Autos a group company of House of Habib whereas Honda's electric wiring is fully imported therfore your corolla's power windows will trouble you much earlier than that of City's. Anyways gone are the days when corolla had no competition but now the market has become competitive and people are starting to realize the facts.
    I saw the thread owner and some other guy arguing meaninglessly. Please act maturely. This is a forum to provide guidance to those who are confused. You can personally visit the show rooms and see the car. Everyone has different preferences and tastes, which is the beauty of life.

PS: I am a Corporate Relationship Manager and manging accounts of Indus Motor Company (House of Habib) and Honda Atlas so I know all the ins and outs of both companies.

6. 24-03-2014, 10:27 PM

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Honda City is the best car ever i drive of this category. no doubt....
    compare Toyota Corolla with Honda Civic not City....as the company tried and failed.....
    Solid People Solid Choice.... i mean Honda city....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

City does not offeer much comfort as compared to corolla....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using PW Forums mobile app

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default I got city 2014

Guys! I just sold my GLi 2010. I was the first owner of this car. Because of "steeling" threat, I had to sell the car. Now I bought new Honda city 1.3 manual. No doubt that its drive is smoother than GLi but I found this car bit more harder than corolla.
    Can some body please tell me that If I change its tyres, will this city give me the softness and comfort?
    please help me in understanding this!
    Love you all

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by javedkhan2us View Post
    Guys! I just sold my GLi 2010. I was the first owner of this car. Because of "steeling" threat, I had to sell the car. Now I bought new Honda city 1.3 manual. No doubt that its drive is smoother than GLi but I found this car bit more harder than corolla.
    Can some body please tell me that If I change its tyres, will this city give me the softness and comfort?
    please help me in understanding this!
    Love you all
    No it won't. Tires preferred are Yokohama or Michelin. Honda City's are famous for there hard suspension you can't do anything about it. Hard suspension matlab good stability at high speeds and excellent cornering stability. Best of Luck.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Like WOW!!! what a thread brothers!!!

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default d.k boys

Dear brothers......

Today i brought a new xli std...first time i brought toyota brand....also i have 2000 civic ....very honstly no comperison between honda and toyota in comfort and pleaure drive......

(1) 1520500 xli std
    (2)no power window
    (3)fuel everage 12 km perliter
    (4)stiff suspension
    (5)feel engine noise inside
    (6)uncontrolled above 120
    (7)ac panel is like liana
    (8)non macthing door handels nd side mirors
    (9)
    Plus points
    (1) good resale
    (2) huge look
    (3)spare parts availbilty anywere in p
    4) and only these three reason of buying this car

I compare this car with my 14 years old civic vti orial 2000

Price
    1056000(in 2000)
    (1)power windows
    (2)power mirors nd(retractable)
    (3)4 wheel disc brake
    (4)allominium alloys
    (5)sunroof
    (6)ac touch panel
    (7)climate control( car is jdm model)
    (8)front door speakers nd trunk
    (9)3 stage v tec engine
    (10)automatic radio antena at trunk
    (11) chill a.c much better then my new xli
    (12)front nd back crystle lights
    (13)feels road grip and power
    (15) leather interior
    (16)very comfortable seats
    (17)7 ways a.c grill position's
    (18)trunk opning indigator
    (19) fuel everage 14.3 city...15.4 long@3000 rpm ....above 3000rpm 13.4 on long...

_points..

(1) costly parts
    (2)resale is not good like corolla
    (3) parts availbilty only in big cities ...

Aur bhaiyoun 195/85/15 tyre size laganay se yeh neechay nahin lagti road clearnce taqreeban corolla jitni ho jati hai aur jin logon ka kehna ya samjhna hai kay honda ki cars sirf city kay leye hain they are wrong....i travell mostly in rurel areas of punjab nd kpk due to my job nature i never ever face any dificulty of anykind .......

No daout honda makes comfort,reliable and luxurious
    Cars

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yehya bhai,mery pass bhi honda hy,but main bhi yehi samjhta hon k honda best hy,per honda ki kuch aur weak points aur bhi hyn
    1.honda ki seats itni down hoti hyn k old age person un k liay easyly nhi utha jata,corolla ki seats unchi hyn
    2.honda k back wheels k jo rod hyn un me rubber bush hotay hyn jo aye din gandi roads ki waja se kharab ho jatay hyn,bush hotay bhi 8 hyn
    3.honda ki speed pick jo hy woh as compare corolla kam hy,gear kam kr k tu her car pick pakar lyti hy per honda jald pick nhi pakerti
    4. Honda ki max height zameen se 5 ya 6 inch hoti hy iss me lazmi ya tu packing rakhwani perti hy apny mulak me speed braker boht unchay banay jaty hyn honda wahan se nechay lagti hy
    Honda care bhi ziada mangti hy jb k corolla khota car hy
    Baqi jo aap ny point out kiay hyn woh boht theek hyn
    I agree wd u

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Come on,,
    lets start HONDA TOYOTA war,,
    https://m.facebook.com/toyotaaddicti...pe=1&source=46

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Confuse me now I want to buy a used card up model toyata or honda which one is best now as i live in Rwp and come to islamabad daily and also go to my home town sargodha in holidays

Can some one help me in this regard ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default city 2014 VS corolla gli 2014

Respected members i am totally confused that whether i should prefer corolla gli new look or whether i should consider city fuel efficiency more..?
    and what are your comments of city new back lights look..? whether they are consider as a +ve or -ve change..?
    also please guide me that if city new model is launched in sep 2015 than how much much will it effect the resale price of city 2014 model?

your replies are really valuable for me.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default City response

Dear, I was also confused before switching on to Honda. Although I drove Toyota Corolla GLi for five years but the moment I opted for the Honda city, I felt more secure and comfortable with Honda City.
    Here are some difference between both cars.

Honda city is almost 2.5 lakhs cheaper than GLi
    Honda City gives almost six kilometers more milage than GLi
    Honda City has more warranty than GLi
    Honda City has more road grip than GLi
    Honda City is soundless and no engine noise compared to GLi
    Honda City has more pick than GLi
    Honda City has more control in driving local or long route than GLi

The only discouraging thing in City is, Its suspension is bit harder than GLi.
    But, I personally has experienced that GLi's suspension or its shocks are rarely work for longer unlike City. You will have to change GLi's shocks after two years where as City itself provide three years warranty for its shocks.
    City new shape is expected till end of the next year but the corrolla will also change its lights and bumber in 2016.
    I don't think that if you buy City for 15.2Lakhs, you will have any loss next year. Because the prices will go higher than today.
    Now, the decision is yours.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by usama1 View Post
    Very nice comparison indeed.

Dear fellows...i heard from num of corolla owners and AC mechanics that the compressor of new corolla is different n have some sensor in it, which becomes faulty and new compressor costs around 60000/ PKR, so mostly people go for older corolla compressor...moreover, i have personally experienced tht there is a noticeable difference in the AC of new shape n old shape (2002-2008) corolla's AC.

Plz experts share your views.

Sent from my A8 using PW Forums mobile app
    The compressor of my XLi 2009 lasted for 4.5 years. Yes it has a sensor that indicates condition of compressor. Cost of new compressor is 36K not 60K. A friend of mine has same problem only after 1 year.

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hash4u View Post
    u missed a very big point in the comparison
    newer shape corolla's are hot favorite in getting stolen whereas you can leave a city(new shape) unlocked and go for shopping
    Boy this is because of the high resale of Toyota and more demand in the local market otherwise Honda ka koe kamal nhe in preventing it frm gettin stolen.. I love civic and I own one as well but sincerely saying City is creep or I would say a cheap car in all aspects GLI is far better

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default End of the debate!

CIVIC 96-2k model ALL THE WAY (y) SUSPENSION (y) grip (y) POWER (y) way better than any corolla.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bhaio stop comparing:

Two simple points from a road side guy made me stop thinking on what is better and what is not.

he asked me two simple things:

" KABHI KOI BARAAT HONDA CITY MEIN JATAY DEKI HAI?"
    کبھی کوی بارات ھنڈا سٹی میں جاتی دیکھی ھے؟

and i said "no" kabhi nahi dekhi!
    tou he said what is the reason, because corolla is a much better car and has a better showoff value than any dammed dinky like city!

and the other question was
    "Corolla ziyada chori hoti ya City?"

i said
    "Corolla is stolen a hundred times more that city, city is hardly ever heard of being stolen"

His reply was:
    "Yar City ko tou chor bhi nahi utatay aur aap khareednay ki soch rahay hou?"

the punch line struck me hard
    "
    سٹی کو توچور بھی نھیں اٹھاتے "

and i decided to go for corolla!

baki jo log sirf iss liye city ko defend kertay hein because the own it, my advise is to sell it and buy a corolla, because when a city owners tells people that city is better than corolla he looks like a nerd to them!

Aik kilo meter ziyada chalti hai
    iss ki drum wali brake corolla ki break say achi hay! (U wish! how can drums be better than disk)
    look at a city passing by, the sheer look of its tank visible under the bumper makes it look like crap!

get a corolla, stop comparing!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers