Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Used Mercedes Benz C Class C 180

Hello there!!

I have a budged of PKR 1 million and I am interested in buying used Mercedes Benz C Class (1998/99)

Currently I own a liana (RXI 2007, Black Isb Reg) ...I have the following questions on which i need expert advise!!

1. Does it give a good millage on petrol (by good I mean 10 to 12 Km/lit)
    2. Does it has a good resale?
    3.What about its maintenance? (I mean the frequency)
    4. Do mechanics know about this vehicle? (w.r.t. Islamabad)
    5.What about the spare parts? are they readily available? (giving due consideration to the fact that it is an old vehicle, I think parts should not be a problem)
    6.Are the spares very expensive? (this particular model)
    7.What is your experience about this vehicle?

Now, my decision to buy the vehicle is totally dependent upon your suggestions, so please suggest whether I should go for this vehicle or not. Please be specific.

Regards

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I use to come across this problem a lot. Some Owners of Germans always don't take ur advice. When they come round to fixing it the nearly double. When one suspension part is worn it will reduce the life of any parts that are connected to it.. So if u drive around with lower arm that worn. Expect to change the upper as well...
    Pakistan.. Toyota hilux..golf mk2 gtd..rolla 2.0d..nissian sunny.. Yamaha pw 50.. Coventry uk....audi v8 d11..golf mk2 rallye..honda crx..evo 8..golf mk2 gtd..Vauxhall insignia..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

shahnawaz only offers service to the ones imported through them right??

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This thread has taken a good turn, love reading merc stories. keep it coming
    Btw, @Xulfiqar, where did you study automotive stuff? in karachi or abroad?
    Turbo lag is like foreplay. You know it's coming. And it's gonna be good.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by faiz.aslam.121 View Post
    This thread has taken a good turn, love reading merc stories. keep it coming
    Btw, @Xulfiqar, where did you study automotive stuff? in karachi or abroad?
    yaar norway ka visa kaise laga koi pm shiam hi kardo

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arshad9911 View Post
    yaar norway ka visa kaise laga koi pm shiam hi kardo
    PM me anytime you want, but the visa requirements damn, they are hard to fulfill....
    And btw, i was born there, so i rather need a visa for Pakistan or a Noc card
    Turbo lag is like foreplay. You know it's coming. And it's gonna be good.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It is inspiring to see people like Xulfiqar and Tarrar Sb, among others, with such impressive knowledge and experience. I have always loved my cars and found it annoying the way a common driver like me is literally led by illiterate mechanic lot just because of our own lack of knowledge. I would definitely like to know my cars better. A definite new years' resolution, a target for next year.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well well interesting stuff to read, but let me add a lil up too. Marc's are piece of crap to own, I bought e220 04 in 2011 instead of Toyota crown. Anyways, for the first couple of weeks I was very excited and the car drove like dream, no issues what so ever. 2 weeks later I was on motorway and thought of testing the car, I took the car at 190 kms and believe me it was great until it made couple of jerks within few sec of me speeding, at the back I saw black smoke n nothing else, all the lights on the meter lit up and rpm went to zero, some how I pulled it over to the side. Turned it off n on again, boom the car starts but with rpm dropping no power as I tried to drive and tons of smoke from exhaust. Did that a few times but same, called motorway guys that came, had a look and gave up. Towed the car back home, next morning called inh guys they sent the mechanic home to check the car, found sir PISTON SIDE MAR GAYA? I was like, r u kiddin me? How on earth is that possible? Anyways car towed to INH, they gave me an estimate of like 275 initially, then called again galti lag Gaye it's 325 then in another half an hour, o we missed on those parts it's 390 or something I was like s*** I mean you just spent like hard earned 3 mill on someone that is supposed to go problem free for years and just after 2 weeks another 4 lakhs? Anyways I told them that give me the list of all the parts and I will sort them out my self. The total cost with original merc and KS parts was like 150 and they charged me 75k for labour. Prob fixed, car running in 10 days. They told me not to use AC, it was JULY, just imagine and told me k is k running poori karein. 10 days further down after driving and melting I switched on ac, bang! I doesn't work, called them up, they said o we didn't installed compressor wiring/ piping just in case, I thought how nice! Took it back to them after whole day struggling wi my car and wasting my time around 930pm they said well the compressor's clutch broke, i was like I travelled all the way from Sialkot kindly do so now, thanks to MR Naeem, he agreed, new clutch installed, 5 sec later ping that broke too, then another clutch comes in, guess what NOW THEY BROKE the darn thing where clutch is fitted! Now what? They said ur compressor is not working JERK mar raha hai and broke 2 clutches due to this I was like now? They told me new compressor cost me 45000 I was like another 45000? They said o v have this compressor which is as new and mb original and we will even give u warranty for like a month, 18000! Sounded reasonable I was like fit they said to come back next day as it was 11pm or take it and get it fitted from any good electrician. I had a person in mind n took it off them, next day took the car to electrician to get it fixed he did, switched on ac and still it's not working! I was very angry, he tried his level best but they problem was when u hit ac switch it didn't work but when they applied direct current to compressor it threw ice! He said may b it needs some computer to get it working. 2 days later I went to INH, they said no problem sir, tea or coffee? I was like they are so confident then fine, ok the comp fitting started all the vacuum n bla bla, 3 hours later oh that compressor was short we sourced another 1! I'm looking at their face, in the same day they installed 4 of them none worked, told me to visit them tomorrow which I did, next day they installed 2 more and then finally said we think ur car's SAM is faulty. Again I'm looking at their face, I was like go ahead, PING! The new SAM arrived, installed and PING! The AC just DID NOT work! Finally they diverted me to another workshop, took the car their n mechanic smiled, told me he will charge 15000 and 3 4 hours work and promised me till I keep the car AC band nai hu ga na hi compressor ka issue aye ga, anyways I sounded amazingly brilliant I agreed and it worked!

I know it's getting boring but the story continues,

Few days later I was driving and floored the car, BOOM! A loud noise comes from engine and swept floor from my feet but the car didn't didn't stop or anything, I slowed it down and kept driving, suddenly I felt smoke inside, stopped opened the hood, nothing all good, opened the boot and it was full of smoke, called my mechanic he said your turbo pipe came off just put it back in and I did it was ok but told me to visit him tomorrow, next day when he checked he said its clip is gone and can't be fixed here so have to take the car to Lahore, I called tow truck paid them 12000 for loading and mechanic in Lahore charged 400 for the clip and we were good to go.

Few weeks further down, I was again travelling to Lahore all perfect n good, all of a sudden all the lights flashed and rpm down to zero and car's engine stopped! I was like wtf! Started the car but it refused and the diesel just was all over the floor! Called up for help, mechanic came all the way from Lahore to gujranwala, and found the diesel pipe busted! I was really angry, anyways he replaced it and we were good to go.

After another 1 months I was driving it to my office, I floored it and car tailed, I was like woah so much power, another .5 km I pressed the pedal and same thing! I got alarmed this time, at my u turn I applied the break and the car didn't stop! In a panic some how I just did stopped it very very difficultly still it hit the centre partition or divider! I tried to drive and PING it refused to move forward and back! Luckily my guards saw and came running, now some other fluid came out of the car, later got checked it found the GEAR OIL PIPE came off and the oil was on tyres that cause it to tail and no breaking! Anyways got that fixed.

Finally decided to sell it, at showroom it was parked for like a month, later had a call from showroom that car is giving a lot of smoke and no power, I told them to send it to workshop, over there they found turbo is gone and so is EGR, costed another 2 lakhs and car was good to go!

After some days, my bro was travelling from okara, on the highway car just stopped again! All was fine but didn't start up! Mechanic was called and found that inside the diesel tank there r 2 compartments, 1 compartment is full and other is empty and the pipe in between the 2 came off!

Finally I managed to dispose it too somehow and don't ask me HOW! At 2 million PKR loss and still I distributed Mithi to all! I adored it initially, installed all AMG kits, Carlsson wheels, uplifted it and what not, but it was a real real bad experience. 1 n half years and disaster, 1 after another. Costed me over 4 mill and sold it at 2.1 million. But I'm still glad!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi doc.tarzan sorry to bug you. I know I'm in a wrong thread. But I really need your help.. Can you please tell me how the rx8 gauge cluster make it work? I am having a problem in this swap. I don't want to buy an aftermarket cluster. I really love the rx8 cluster and I want to use it still in the near future. I hope to hear from you very soon. Thank you in advance. @doc.tarzan

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^Bhai apki kahani parhi bara afsos hua lekin parhte parhte kab Kernal PopCorns khatam hogae pata hi nai chala
    I eat Volverine for breakfast.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Edited.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

With out getting my hands on the car. I would say it's done mega miles. And bad workman ship. Nearly all faults are down to bad repairs. Plus didn't u notice any of these faults wile u were driving starting the car from cold. Mercs are strong cars I would say u just got a bad one.

P.s. If your cars got problems the last thing u do is take it on the motorway and floor it.
    Pakistan.. Toyota hilux..golf mk2 gtd..rolla 2.0d..nissian sunny.. Yamaha pw 50.. Coventry uk....audi v8 d11..golf mk2 rallye..honda crx..evo 8..golf mk2 gtd..Vauxhall insignia..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

sounds like your workshop did not know which end of a screwdriver to use. installing used compressors as hawaee fire is on a brand new level. it also seems like your mechanic did not have the proper service tools for this engine and modt probably some weird off brand oil was used on it. i personally drive an e320 everyday. its a very faithful companion to me and i service it myself. i dont wait for it to breakdown i prepurchase spare parts and service it in one session.

such repairshops should not be used. if i were their customer they would get a serious trouble code set in their head. i can almost guarantee they never tested the diesel system or even know about adaptation of the gearbox which is done via star. its the little things that count a lot. when such are followed repair items like replacement bolts clips torque ratchet use can he expected
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Teeboyuk View Post
    With out getting my hands on the car. I would say it's done mega miles. And bad workman ship. Nearly all faults are down to bad repairs. Plus didn't u notice any of these faults wile u were driving starting the car from cold. Mercs are strong cars I would say u just got a bad one.

P.s. If your cars got problems the last thing u do is take it on the motorway and floor it.
    read my post about durability :-D
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ah. Lots of new stories came forward. I had a w211 back in 2007 e220 cdi silver same reg. car was fine perfect running. My dad loved this shape took it for service near jhelum river pso. Only outisde wash. Never let local people do nothing more n then he filled up tank to full and on the way to home. N all of a sudden power loss engine management light came on and a big chimney type black smoke coming out of exhaust. Car was sent to shahnawaz straight away on trailer. Faulty egr valve replaced after that only filled up from shell dina. Never used pso again. Ever. Car was later sold for a bmw 525d se. Which was later sold as well at dewan motors lahore. Car was uk import. Avantgarde full options. Did enjoy it a lot. When it run fine.

So basically u need real fuel. Proper mechanics and workshops. And these things are durable and last long. If well taken care of. I drive a 520d bmw here in london only fill up from shell and car is only dealership maintained. Simple goin 87000 miles strong now. And in a pakistan w203 c class going 70,000 km. still strong. No problems issues in both cars.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

As INH is concerned i discvere it througha friendwhile holiday in pak n wanted to work on my w202 out of 20 days i spent 15. With the car. I was in lahoreand saw an old calssic CL for sale car was tastefully done and had original v8 swap. I liked the work and i took my car for cosmetic work only which is interior and exterior only. They refreshed interior the guy did good job and paint work bumper trim and plastics only amd detailing. Also. A guy from Hall road came who installed amp only. Neatly. With all wiring factory type. I had few dings on right door n they gace 1 or 2 extra i guess but i was s exhausted i let it go over all work as good car was looking stunning n i stayed there morning till eve on top of their heads to get the job done. Mechanic as in service and suspension breaks were always dealt by Khalid mechanic jn islamabad hes famous for that. I installed the front speakers n pre myself. N guages. N few other little things. Car always went for vehicle check at shahnawaz isb to make sure everything is ok.

I wish u goodluck n hope ur car will be on the road again maintain it dont get rid of it n enjoy once its fixed.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by w202 View Post
    Ah. Lots of new stories came forward. I had a w211 back in 2007 e220 cdi silver same reg. car was fine perfect running. My dad loved this shape took it for service near jhelum river pso. Only outisde wash. Never let local people do nothing more n then he filled up tank to full and on the way to home. N all of a sudden power loss engine management light came on and a big chimney type black smoke coming out of exhaust. Car was sent to shahnawaz straight away on trailer. Faulty egr valve replaced after that only filled up from shell dina. Never used pso again. Ever. Car was later sold for a bmw 525d se. Which was later sold as well at dewan motors lahore. Car was uk import. Avantgarde full options. Did enjoy it a lot. When it run fine.

So basically u need real fuel. Proper mechanics and workshops. And these things are durable and last long. If well taken care of. I drive a 520d bmw here in london only fill up from shell and car is only dealership maintained. Simple goin 87000 miles strong now. And in a pakistan w203 c class going 70,000 km. still strong. No problems issues in both cars.
    egr problem is mostly due to wrong engine oil being used or the car was offloaded to the new buyer. i know some people who bought brand new 220cdi and never faced egr problems for more than 100 000 kms. it also amplifies when the engine is very gently all the time.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

After reading all these post my keera of having a Mercedes in my fleet is on rise. Never bought one before as we had no proper mechanic for its service, but looks like Tarrar shab can work well and fortunately he is in LHR :thumbup:

BTW I have heard a lot about INH, some good some bad but after reading all these stories it's confirmed that they are just another set of Street mechanics with a little clean work table.

Please keep the stories coming, this thread is becoming one of the most interesting threads of PW

Sent from my GT-I9500 using PW Forums mobile app
    ? Nobody..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar the car was in used condition purchased from azad kashmir mirpur. Probably previous owner didnt use correct oil and we saw the after effects. It all happened after filling up from pso. So thats all we could think of.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

no wonder Shahnawaz is prospering in 8 digits every year since 2008 only from sedan business & keeping maintaining stock of 3 E & 5 C class on regular basis. seems like mercedes buyer really feel insulted if asked to read the owner's manual & maintenance guide lines.

what kind of people buy a 7 / 8 digit value sedans / suvs and let their drivers ruin it.
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post
    no wonder Shahnawaz is prospering in 8 digits every year since 2008 only from sedan business & keeping maintaining stock of 3 E & 5 C class on regular basis. seems like mercedes buyer really feel insulted if asked to read the owner's manual & maintenance guide lines.

what kind of people buy a 7 / 8 digit value sedans / suvs and let their drivers ruin it.
    You got that right,
    Some people start to assume that these need drivers, lol - the actual joy of owning a MB is driving it. I drive mine everyday to work, my two way trip is 170 kms.

Another thing what I experienced is the mix up of tank like durability and no repairs. Yes the car is overbuilt 3 times compared to a japanese car and if both are tested from new - these will outrun the japs upto 3 times in neglect, but remember that 3 times overbuilt means 3 times the cost too.

So if you planned it to go as waste - then of course you will see some 3x cost bills to get it back to 100% service spec.

OTOH - you can actually bring these back to 100% spec and they will last 3 times longer than japanese cars - thats why they are taxis in EU and their trucks/vans have spaceship mileages. The problem in Pakistan is that the "hathora mechanics" try to repair them and ruin them as they dont know the finer details on repairs because the details need to be purchased, they are qualified in toyota because they have a lot of ruining experience on them to be careful now. There are not many benzes around to qualify like that.

e.g. - mine has done 162,000 miles - 259,200 kms. Still pulls hard, shifts like it should and gives me that benz feel of very strong upshifts and taut and firm drive. (people assume it should drive like a sloppy soft car - no it should not - no MB ever was)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

User Tag List