Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Used Mercedes Benz C Class C 180

Hello there!!

I have a budged of PKR 1 million and I am interested in buying used Mercedes Benz C Class (1998/99)

Currently I own a liana (RXI 2007, Black Isb Reg) ...I have the following questions on which i need expert advise!!

1. Does it give a good millage on petrol (by good I mean 10 to 12 Km/lit)
    2. Does it has a good resale?
    3.What about its maintenance? (I mean the frequency)
    4. Do mechanics know about this vehicle? (w.r.t. Islamabad)
    5.What about the spare parts? are they readily available? (giving due consideration to the fact that it is an old vehicle, I think parts should not be a problem)
    6.Are the spares very expensive? (this particular model)
    7.What is your experience about this vehicle?

Now, my decision to buy the vehicle is totally dependent upon your suggestions, so please suggest whether I should go for this vehicle or not. Please be specific.

Regards

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@gundabanda

I saw your car pics. It was a real beauty and a classic piece. Loved the car. You were offered 2.4M via a friend but you declined.

Sad to hear about your experience

Sent from my LG-LU6200 using PW Forums mobile app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I know people who own quite a few German cars Mercedes bmw etc... Never heard such horrific Tales from them.
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

In the early 90s. I use by ex taxis from Germany the yellow ones..the interesting thing I found out was from brand new they were sent to another factory and rebuilt they change 80 per cent of the car..all four suspension units are changed for the 4 matic ones including bearings hubs. The engine is over hauled .. The ones I use to buy had 400k to 500k...never missed beat e200 diesels ..once back in the uk they sent to Africa ...
    Pakistan.. Toyota hilux..golf mk2 gtd..rolla 2.0d..nissian sunny.. Yamaha pw 50.. Coventry uk....audi v8 d11..golf mk2 rallye..honda crx..evo 8..golf mk2 gtd..Vauxhall insignia..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

all 4matic MB are built in Graz Austria - the cars are shipped there as partial built or even CKD. Taxi versions of the E and C are a little different everywhere, the W124 even had a glock box for a gun lol, Their suspensions are HD and usually even had SLS in the back for super loading capability, full passenger load, full boot load, and full roof rack can really sag it down, the SLS has no problems in picking it back up to normal height. They usually had the HD suspension upgrade at the front, no chrome etc outside the car, no leather seating, MB tex all the way, stiff flexdiscs on either end (older models only) Steel underbelly pans and a few other bits like taxi specific dashboard and interior lighting.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

True bro they were tough as old boots. They use idle like a geni. The seats were like no one ever sat on them. Amazing piece of engineering...
    Pakistan.. Toyota hilux..golf mk2 gtd..rolla 2.0d..nissian sunny.. Yamaha pw 50.. Coventry uk....audi v8 d11..golf mk2 rallye..honda crx..evo 8..golf mk2 gtd..Vauxhall insignia..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

In 1996 the whole export thing had slowed down.. I still had the bug so went and bought a w124 e200 diesel with 380 k on the clock.driven 24 hours for 3 years...drove it back flat out sorry I mean at 100mph not fast for the autobahn ... Kept the car for about six months never missed a beat..towed stuff with it ..borrowed to friends. Even customers .. There was customer of mine who use to bring in w123 300d. Great engine and box but rust had claimed a victim...he really liked the e200 so the deal was done...I took the engine and box out and scraped the e300d ..which I still have for some unknown reason..anyway..3 months later the e200 turns up on a truck. With rear wheel missing ..no hub no shock,,just empty whole..I asked the driver weres the owner..he's left for Ireland .. Took the car in ..jacked it up. All I could see was a scratch on the rear arch. And no wheel scratching my head I went and sat in my office phoned mercedes no good cars special order. Phoned Germany ..no this cars built in Austria .. Got on the phone again..600 euros for the rear hub nearly fell of my chair..I decided to to take the other side of and try to match it at a breakers..4 matic rear hubs that's when I realized .. Nothing on the car was what it seemed .,put the car back together ..2 months later the guy showed up..he told me on a building site something had hit the wheel ..but no damage was done..a month later the wheel came off .. I said didn't you notice anything was wrong..he goes not a thing..a true test of a car..I think this is the Merc for Pakistan ..it's a shame the tooling was sold to India ...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I guess mercedes lost its prestige after 95 the one series were hardcore mercs but in my opinion its matter of quantity vs quality.Just consider the lineup today A,B,C,E,S,G,M,R,CL,CLC,SLK,SL,ML,GLK,....etc how will u maintain the standard if u have such a loooong lineup. Over engineering is a thing of the past now....mercs these days dont even have tht thud sound from the doors...check this survey 2013 of engine failures

1. Honda (failure rate: 1 in 344)
    2. Toyota (failure rate: 1 in 171)
    3. Mercedes-Benz (failure rate: 1 in 119)
    4. Volvo (failure rate: 1 in 111)
    5. Jaguar (failure rate: 1 in 103)
    6. Lexus (failure rate: 1 in 101)
    7. Fiat (failure rate: 1 in 85)
    8. Ford (failure rate: 1 in 80)
    9. Nissan (failure rate: 1 in 76)
    10. Land Rover (failure rate: 1 in 72)
    "Stand by your glasses steady and drink to your comrade's eyes.
    Here's a toast to the dead already and hurrah for the next to die."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Marschall View Post
    I guess mercedes lost its prestige after 95 the one series were hardcore mercs but in my opinion its matter of quantity vs quality.Just consider the lineup today A,B,C,E,S,G,M,R,CL,CLC,SLK,SL,ML,GLK,....etc how will u maintain the standard if u have such a loooong lineup. Over engineering is a thing of the past now....mercs these days dont even have tht thud sound from the doors...check this survey 2013 of engine failures

1. Honda (failure rate: 1 in 344)
    2. Toyota (failure rate: 1 in 171)
    3. Mercedes-Benz (failure rate: 1 in 119)
    4. Volvo (failure rate: 1 in 111)
    5. Jaguar (failure rate: 1 in 103)
    6. Lexus (failure rate: 1 in 101)
    7. Fiat (failure rate: 1 in 85)
    8. Ford (failure rate: 1 in 80)
    9. Nissan (failure rate: 1 in 76)
    10. Land Rover (failure rate: 1 in 72)
    That's true up until 95/96..were way to advance and built to last..the only model that's stood the test of time is the od ball g lass..still built from scratch in its own factory..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I maintained my 98 W202 my self, last time i changed its rear subframe bushes at home very easily by special tools made by my self and others local MB mechanics said its a job of 2days work they pull off frame and it will take to khradiya for that, but i refused.
    Not recommend INH to any1 they just makes peoples fool.

I serviced its brakes and changed pads & discs, belt tensioner, shocks, throtle body service e.t.c
    love my W202 then any other car.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    There's no car like Mercedes-Benz.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

2 days to replace the bushings????? Were they humans or snails? A workshop can drop them out in no time if they have a porta power jack and some expansion fittings too.

Otherwise this screw type puller works good and takes about 10 minutes of cranking to pull out the bushings.

I can bet the car drives like its suspended on hard rubber bands now, Stiff but soft too and straight as an arrow - (more like the belly of an arabian belly dancer )

If you really want to feel this suspension design in action - install new links (arms), new bushings and new rear ball joints (they are called knuckle bushings) along with new shock absorbers - Then you will understand the belly dancer tip.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Teeboyuk View Post
    In 1996 the whole export thing had slowed down.. I still had the bug so went and bought a w124 e200 diesel with 380 k on the clock.driven 24 hours for 3 years...drove it back flat out sorry I mean at 100mph not fast for the autobahn ... Kept the car for about six months never missed a beat..towed stuff with it ..borrowed to friends. Even customers .. There was customer of mine who use to bring in w123 300d. Great engine and box but rust had claimed a victim...he really liked the e200 so the deal was done...I took the engine and box out and scraped the e300d ..which I still have for some unknown reason..anyway..3 months later the e200 turns up on a truck. With rear wheel missing ..no hub no shock,,just empty whole..I asked the driver weres the owner..he's left for Ireland .. Took the car in ..jacked it up. All I could see was a scratch on the rear arch. And no wheel scratching my head I went and sat in my office phoned mercedes no good cars special order. Phoned Germany ..no this cars built in Austria .. Got on the phone again..600 euros for the rear hub nearly fell of my chair..I decided to to take the other side of and try to match it at a breakers..4 matic rear hubs that's when I realized .. Nothing on the car was what it seemed .,put the car back together ..2 months later the guy showed up..he told me on a building site something had hit the wheel ..but no damage was done..a month later the wheel came off .. I said didn't you notice anything was wrong..he goes not a thing..a true test of a car..I think this is the Merc for Pakistan ..it's a shame the tooling was sold to India ...
    Its best to replace both hub carriers and axles on taxis - they can be swapped out.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes xulfiqar bhai here local MB mechanics are just like typical USTAD, they don't even have trans fluid dipsticks & torx socket set.

I installed new BOGE rear shocks & planning to change rear rear arms links & i got knuckle bushing set already but i have checked bushes are in good condition, no sign of crack or rotten, suggest what should i do?

Also i am using meguin ATF 236.14 in my 722.6 trans, is it good for it or normal Dexron3 or "meguin's variable" 236.10 (which is cover many auto manuf recommendation like toyota's T4 e.t.c)?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    Its best to replace both hub carriers and axles on taxis - they can be swapped out.
    I didn't know if I was going to get paid for doing the one side. I only did the job to get the car out the way .. Moving it around on a trolley jack ..was getting on my nerves...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Cruze View Post
    Yes xulfiqar bhai here local MB mechanics are just like typical USTAD, they don't even have trans fluid dipsticks & torx socket set.

I installed new BOGE rear shocks & planning to change rear rear arms links & i got knuckle bushing set already but i have checked bushes are in good condition, no sign of crack or rotten, suggest what should i do?

Also i am using meguin ATF 236.14 in my 722.6 trans, is it good for it or normal Dexron3 or "meguin's variable" 236.10 (which is cover many auto manuf recommendation like toyota's T4 e.t.c)?
    in poor condition one can use a plastic pipe to measure atf for 722.6 or you can get a cable repairsman to solder or braze a plate to the end of a broken clutch cable. for atf the absolute best is shell spiraxS4-3403-M115. The atf was the factory fill but is a bit expensive. it gives the nicest behaviour and almost seamless shifting. the 236.14 atf if made by shell is factory atf for the 7 spd nag2 gearbox. its not full synthetic and shifts a little diffrent. Using a multivehicle will also work but you never know if its matched to the correct shift quality required.

I use this additive to aid such ATF, and trust me this additive is the bees knees click-------> LUBEGARD.

For your case, if you can buy genuine 236.14 ATF, then fill that.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Me enjoying and reading every post here but not posting as I'm out of country and don't have much internet access

Sent from my LG-LU6200 using PW Forums mobile app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lol at 2 days
    I changed them in like 6 hours and it was my first time. . How did you pull out the mounts?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using PW Forums mobile app
    https://www.facebook.com/OsamaAbbasPhotography

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by syncview View Post
    Lol at 2 days
    I changed them in like 6 hours and it was my first time. . How did you pull out the mounts?

I made a special puller for this purpose, you can check in pic.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by syncview View Post
    Lol at 2 days

I made a special puller for this purpose, you can check in pic.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers