Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Is it wise to use a Tablet as navigation device?

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    ali_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    578
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default Is it wise to use a Tablet as navigation device?

    AoA friends.
    I am planning to get a 7 inch Chinese Tab (most likely Ainol or Ampe) in a range of 15-16k. Main purpose is to fit it in my car for using Sygic for navigation and occasionaly for audio / video. And if possible, i shall also use OBD data display using softwares like Torque pro etc.

    I just want to get feedback from other users that is it a workable plan? any other option?
    Desire is irrelevant!!!!!!

  2. #2
    PakWheeler Follow
    LordOsama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Darmstadt
    Age
    24
    Posts
    448
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    As far navigation is concerned, yes its workable and hell lot better than the navigation units available in market only if you use Google Powered Maps

    Accurate to 5meter or less when GPS locked and takreeban updated with every famous location. Now even streets, sectors and approx house no are also updated on google maps of posh areas but you'll need a working internet connection for this service.. but its totally worth paying 500/1000 a month for GPRS service
    ? Nobody..

  3. #3
    PakWheeler Follow
    LordOsama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Darmstadt
    Age
    24
    Posts
    448
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Now if you still insist on using sygic maps, it like any other navigation unit, you cant search latest places, most of the roads & directions will be old (just for instance, last time I checked metro service was not updated on sygic maps... like seriously, eh?)

    But for shashkaa yeah it will work with just the main roads! not practical in my opinion
    ? Nobody..

  4. #4
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    faiz.aslam.121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Oslo
    Age
    21
    Posts
    7,464
    Follows
    5
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    I really hope sygic updates their maps. Paid 18 dollars for that *****.


    Google maps+wingle/ GPRS FTW
    Turbo lag is like foreplay. You know it's coming. And it's gonna be good.

  5. #5
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    fazalwahab11375's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Select City
    Posts
    29,484
    Follows
    36
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    842 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    2
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    As far as Video use.. its a BIG NO.. https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/new...-everyone-safe
    Pakwheels on the MAP; http://bit.ly/ZVyXcZ

  6. #6
    PakWheeler Follow
    ali_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    578
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordOsama View Post
    As far navigation is concerned, yes its workable and hell lot better than the navigation units available in market only if you use Google Powered Maps

    Accurate to 5meter or less when GPS locked and takreeban updated with every famous location. Now even streets, sectors and approx house no are also updated on google maps of posh areas but you'll need a working internet connection for this service.. but its totally worth paying 500/1000 a month for GPRS service
    Thanks for valuable comments bro. I shall keep in mind ur suggestion while doing all this. And regarding GPRS, i am fully for it. One of the reason for buying Chinese Tab in this range and not going for Samsung Tab 2/3 in 18k range is lacking of GSM support in these models of Samsung.
    Thanks again
    Desire is irrelevant!!!!!!

  7. #7
    PakWheeler Follow
    ansarali39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    39
    Posts
    268
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    You can also use your phone with GPS

  8. #8
    PakWheeler Follow
    ali_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    578
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fazalwahab11375 View Post
    As far as Video use.. its a BIG NO.. https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/new...-everyone-safe


    Thanks bhai. Taken ur advice. No plans for video while driving. Only when waiting (drying) in car while all other are out for shopping .
    Desire is irrelevant!!!!!!

  9. #9
    PakWheeler Follow
    ali_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    578
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ansarali39 View Post
    You can also use your phone with GPS

    Thanks Ansar bhai. Suggestion is good, but i think bigger screen size would be better for installing in a car. Otherwise cost effects are roughly same.
    Desire is irrelevant!!!!!!

  10. #10
    MGK
    MGK is offline
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    MGK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,032
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Talking about sygic; i tell you my experience; i went to lahore some days ago to meet my friend who was staying in best western hotel; i reached PC hotel with my own knowledge and now i put the destination of best western hotel in sygic cause its just nearby but i didnt knew excatly where, now the destination has been locked, the mean time my friend call me and i told him that im gonna be there in 5 mins now the sygic lady takes me all the way somewhere in the very conjusted area where i have never been in my whole life which took me 20 mins of driving and still driving, brought me to a place called some ritz wedding hall now i got very confused cause nobody knew there where is best western, my friend kept calling and i was like Yaar mein tey kho gaya aan

    So i came back to PC hotel again 20 to 25 mins of driving and then asked some people there who told me the right way and finally after wasting an hour and may be 3 or 4 literes of fuel i reached my destination. so sygic maps in lahore is a BIG no but if you can get latest maps from someone then that will be really handy.

  11. #11
    PakWheeler Follow
    TheFaixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    459
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MGK View Post
    Talking about sygic; i tell you my experience; i went to lahore some days ago to meet my friend who was staying in best western hotel; i reached PC hotel with my own knowledge and now i put the destination of best western hotel in sygic cause its just nearby but i didnt knew excatly where, now the destination has been locked, the mean time my friend call me and i told him that im gonna be there in 5 mins now the sygic lady takes me all the way somewhere in the very conjusted area where i have never been in my whole life which took me 20 mins of driving and still driving, brought me to a place called some ritz wedding hall now i got very confused cause nobody knew there where is best western, my friend kept calling and i was like Yaar mein tey kho gaya aan

    So i came back to PC hotel again 20 to 25 mins of driving and then asked some people there who told me the right way and finally after wasting an hour and may be 3 or 4 literes of fuel i reached my destination. so sygic maps in lahore is a BIG no but if you can get latest maps from someone then that will be really handy.
    Well I think the solution is to just ignore the conjusted area and drive straight it will re-route you at least that's what I do

  12. #12
    PakWheeler Follow
    ilovepakistan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    52
    Posts
    77
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Good idea, but you want to fit in the dash board, or keep it loose?

  13. #13
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    KamranAslam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Select City
    Posts
    14,249
    Follows
    3
    Following
    7
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    9
    Best Answers
    3
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    I am planning to get a 7 inch Chinese Tab (most likely Ainol or Ampe) in a range of 15-16k.
    Got Ampe for my Nephew Oct 24th 2013 the device went dead after 15days ---- returned it back on the same shop with 4k loss.

    Do not go for Chinese tabs - complete loss of money and time.
    I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand..

  14. #14
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    faiz.aslam.121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Oslo
    Age
    21
    Posts
    7,464
    Follows
    5
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaixy View Post
    Well I think the solution is to just ignore the conjusted area and drive straight it will re-route you at least that's what I do
    True. If I know that this road is better than suggested road by sygic, it just re-routes me. Helpful for other cities ie Lahore and Islamabad. Wish they updated their maps though.
    Turbo lag is like foreplay. You know it's coming. And it's gonna be good.

  15. #15
    PakWheeler Follow
    ali_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    578
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovepakistan View Post
    Good idea, but you want to fit in the dash board, or keep it loose?
    My plan is to use a windshield mount for this. so that, it can be removed as well any time.
    Desire is irrelevant!!!!!!

  16. #16
    PakWheeler Follow
    ali_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    578
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KamranAslam View Post
    Got Ampe for my Nephew Oct 24th 2013 the device went dead after 15days ---- returned it back on the same shop with 4k loss.

    Do not go for Chinese tabs - complete loss of money and time.
    Thanks for advice bro. How about getting a Samsung Tab 3 (non-3Gm, available in <18k) and use USB dongle for SIM/3G purpose?

    Any knowledge on price of USB 3G dongle?

    thnx again
    Desire is irrelevant!!!!!!

  17. #17
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    abobobilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    1,359
    Follows
    3
    Following
    3
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Using Tablets for Navigation, Sure. Its a good idea. But if you own a smartphone, you can do it on that too. But YES, i do agree that this solution will be hell of a lot better than the Navigation system we get in Cars (that Tom Tom or Garmin etc)

    Now, talking about Sygic, hate it all you want. But don't neglect the fact that Sygic is the ONLY company truly supporting Pakistan, and i believe Sygic maps are as detailed as Google Maps (NOW) ... and now they are going to get even better. SYGIC is Current THE BEST Offline Navigation option we guys have, here. So make sure you SUPPORT THEM by BUYING their app. (Their PK dept recently have been experience some financial difficulties and if we continue to pirate their app, i am afraid they might drop support for Pakistan ... which would be the worst thing to happen)

    If someone believes that paying $18 on Sygic is a "waste" then he is free to look for other choices which support Pakistan Officially, Release frequent Maps Updates and the best part, does Offline Navigation. I'll be happy to listen to the counter argument from these people.

    Talking about Accuracy of Navigation, it has never been very accurate. Not even your beloved Google Maps, which, not to forget, dont' even work Online (please, don't use that "Offline Cache" system in your argument. That is of no use when we can't use Offline Navigation, which still asks for an active data connection --- I do understand the reasons behind it though, that Google wants to have more accurate navigation experience ... but that doesn't work in Pakistan)
    Riders on the storm ... literally.

  18. #18
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Ravager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,025
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Payment method is problem.. Not everyone has a credit card.. I agree 18 dollars is nothing

    Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2
    Drugs cause amnesia, and other things I can't remember

  19. #19
    PakWheeler Follow
    TheFaixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    459
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravager View Post
    Payment method is problem.. Not everyone has a credit card.. I agree 18 dollars is nothing

    Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2
    Exactly my problem

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    faiz.aslam.121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Oslo
    Age
    21
    Posts
    7,464
    Follows
    5
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    I am sure you can use a Debit Card.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Turbo lag is like foreplay. You know it's coming. And it's gonna be good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •