Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buying a Car, Advice is required!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Buying a Car, Advice is required!

Dear Members,

Coming to Pakistan on a couple of months vacation and think to buy a car. My requirement is a small car which later I will gift to my nephew upon return. He is 20 and learned to drive recently. I have searched and their are many confusing facts. So I am asking you for a little help. I have looked into 4 Model which I liked. I write in the order of my preference:

1- Chevrolet Joy,
    2- Alto 1000,
    3- Cultus
    4- Mehran

I know Cultus and Mehran can be purchased new. I am not sure about number 1, and 2 above. Can I purchase those as new? What about the parts and maintenance ease of the above two? Someone suggested even Toyata Vits and I have driven that abroad but do not know about these models available in Pakistan. I like features, performance, price and comfort.

Can you please give your feedback in terms of Prices, Comparisons, Parts and features so I can make an easy decision. I will be very thankful to you. consider I will be driving some long distance legs few times under these couple of months.

Rides: Volvo V70 - Peugeot 406 - Ford Mondeo - Suzuki Cultus - Suzuki Mehran - Volkswagen Golf

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

y isnt there santro in your list boss ?
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by muza.uddin View Post
    Dear Members,

Coming to Pakistan on a couple of months vacation and think to buy a car. My requirement is a small car which later I will gift to my nephew upon return. He is 20 and learned to drive recently. I have searched and their are many confusing facts. So I am asking you for a little help. I have looked into 4 Model which I liked. I write in the order of my preference:

1- Chevrolet Joy,
    2- Alto 1000,
    3- Cultus
    4- Mehran

I know Cultus and Mehran can be purchased new. I am not sure about number 1, and 2 above. Can I purchase those as new? What about the parts and maintenance ease of the above two? Someone suggested even Toyata Vits and I have driven that abroad but do not know about these models available in Pakistan. I like features, performance, price and comfort.

Can you please give your feedback in terms of Prices, Comparisons, Parts and features so I can make an easy decision. I will be very thankful to you. consider I will be driving some long distance legs few times under these couple of months.
    Brother Cultus is good if new.

You can buy a 2008-09 Cultus VXLi (power steering /window/alloy rims version) used for 800,000.

You can also buy a used 2009 1.3L Swift locally made or 2005 automatic 1.2L Japanese import for 900,000.

All else Chevrolet, Mehran etc are waste of money.

Vitz and Passo is also a good option if you can maintain it.

PakSuzuki is also launching Wagon R in March for around 900,000.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for the replies Brothers.
    @hash4u: I have read many reviews on Santro. I would say it is 6/10 based upon the people reviews. I do not like the look. It is more of aesthetics thing.
    @bradpit: Sir, I have got totally opposite reviews thank yours about Cultus as most of the people do not like it when compare to other 1000 CCs. It lack many features which Alto and Joy have. You know things which young people like (Thinking of my nephew). Mehran is as I know a working car not a luxury. You get what you pay for. But it has cheap parts, availability and resale etc. U know a common calculation formula in Pakistan. I have got good reviews about consumption, comfort and an average car performance regarded best among Alto and Joy and Cultus can not meet these.

My idea is that rather buying a secondhand "big car" for 8-900K lets say Honda City I would prefer a small car for say 3-400k which has normal comfort and good at Pakistani roads. For comfort and toughness I have my Volvo V70.

My question remains, Lets say we compare Cultus, Alto and Joy. Which one I can get "zero meter" in April 2014? Or close latest model? and which one you suggest is best in all aspects?

BTW Do Chevrolet has sales showrooms in Pakistan or do they have newer models at sales?
    Rides: Volvo V70 - Peugeot 406 - Ford Mondeo - Suzuki Cultus - Suzuki Mehran - Volkswagen Golf

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Mehran is for those jino ne ghuzraa krna hota hy and cant affoard rides costly then that. Maintence wise its the pick for most of people. Spare parts are cheap , qualified mechanic right next some kms. High resale value.

But for a gift to someone its highly not recommended

cultus has a edge over mehran with shape ,speed , as well as ride comfort. Mid maintaince costs , milage of new car is good both cng and petrol.

Chevolet joy or exclusive has spares avail issue and low resale. But if you are buying new its definetly better then mehran and cultus in drive and comfort !

Brother vitz and swift are good option if you can maintain them. A treat for whom you wanna give gift.

I suggest you should mention your budget , decision of buying a new car or used one and city ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

For long tour and journeys
    mehran ,cultus and alto 1000cc is out of scope.
    Its very tiring to drive these cars on the long country side

jdm vitz or pkdm swift is recommended

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Chevrolet SPARK in new is another option

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by muza.uddin View Post
    Thanks for the replies Brothers.
    @hash4u: I have read many reviews on Santro. I would say it is 6/10 based upon the people reviews. I do not like the look. It is more of aesthetics thing.
    @bradpit: Sir, I have got totally opposite reviews thank yours about Cultus as most of the people do not like it when compare to other 1000 CCs. It lack many features which Alto and Joy have. You know things which young people like (Thinking of my nephew). Mehran is as I know a working car not a luxury. You get what you pay for. But it has cheap parts, availability and resale etc. U know a common calculation formula in Pakistan. I have got good reviews about consumption, comfort and an average car performance regarded best among Alto and Joy and Cultus can not meet these.

My idea is that rather buying a secondhand "big car" for 8-900K lets say Honda City I would prefer a small car for say 3-400k which has normal comfort and good at Pakistani roads. For comfort and toughness I have my Volvo V70.

My question remains, Lets say we compare Cultus, Alto and Joy. Which one I can get "zero meter" in April 2014? Or close latest model? and which one you suggest is best in all aspects?

BTW Do Chevrolet has sales showrooms in Pakistan or do they have newer models at sales?
    Sir you can get new Cultus for 1.1M on road after taxes and registration.

Chevorlet Joy has near 0 aftersales and parts availability.

Alto was EOL on 30th June 2012 when EURO II was enforced in Pakistan (For new cars and motorcycles made in Pakistan only).

400K will buy you a 2001-02 Cultus in good condition.

Cultus G10B engine is more economical and responsive than Alto F10A which was an ancient design.

The overall driving and interior is also far better in Cultus compare to Alto & Mehran or any kei car.

Used Santro / Spark / Vitz etc are good only as long as they do not break down.

If you want something with modern technologies you should consider a Daihatsu Mira e;S 2011 model which will also set you close to 900K. Just prepare to pay 18K (nearly twice the price of new Civic or Corolla) if you need to replace the headlights

You can also get a W202 or E36 in Pakistan for 800K but you will end up spending half the car price at its maintenance.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bradpit View Post
    Sir you can get new Cultus for 1.1M on road after taxes and registration.

Chevorlet Joy has near 0 aftersales and parts availability.

Alto was EOL on 30th June 2012 when EURO II was enforced in Pakistan (For new cars and motorcycles made in Pakistan only).

400K will buy you a 2001-02 Cultus in good condition.

Cultus G10B engine is more economical and responsive than Alto F10A which was an ancient design.

The overall driving and interior is also far better in Cultus compare to Alto & Mehran or any kei car.

Used Santro / Spark / Vitz etc are good only as long as they do not break down.

If you want something with modern technologies you should consider a Daihatsu Mira e;S 2011 model which will also set you close to 900K. Just prepare to pay 18K (nearly twice the price of new Civic or Corolla) if you need to replace the headlights

You can also get a W202 or E36 in Pakistan for 800K but you will end up spending half the car price at its maintenance.
    Thank you for very useful information. Can You or someone else please give me some more information about purchasing lets say from local dealers? What to check? how much reliable info from dealers is? What percentage to bargain?

Sorry if my questions are stupid but I have zero experience of purchasing a car from Pakistani dealers.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

VITZ SWIFT AND CULTUS. mehran and alto sucks