7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Why not BMW 5series?

Fellow pakwheelers, i am in hunt of new car, so try to search all the options. Meanwhile i got astonished by price of BMW 5series, it is near to Toyota Premio almost. The shape from 2003 to 2009 is same.
    What is the reason of far far more luxurious cars have no customers. Is it difficult to maintain? Or fuel cost is way heavy on pocket. I just want a clear cut analysis from all of you, so it helps me making my mind. Thanks.

www.dr-tanveer.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Daktar saheb it is about Mindset. Believe me just the Local mindset.

a. people are willing to spend 3 mil & above next take that prado to CNG shop install 3 cylinders to run on CNG, and spend 2 hours waiting for CNG REFILL.
    b. people select crap 5 year old JDM vehicles and ask what is resale value after 5 years.,
    c. people buy E class and hire a DRIVER to drive them around whats' the catch ? SHASHKA ?? really !
    d. people believe a car does not need periodic maintenance in terms of mandatory replacement of NEW parts as timing belt, oil filter, fuel filter, tyres, flushing of coolant, brake fluid.

last but not least, all YEN credit / loans granted by Japanese Govt are channelled through JETRO watchdog which ensure the automotive policy in Pakistan remain tilted for Japanese interest.

The only disadvantage european cars face in South Asian markets is lack of parts support and small number of units are manufactured right hand drive compared to Left hand which 70% of world is using, thereby making such vehicle 2 notch more expensive to maintain compared to Japanese brands.

Quote Originally Posted by drtanveerali View Post
    Fellow pakwheelers, i am in hunt of new car, so try to search all the options. Meanwhile i got astonished by price of BMW 5series, it is near to Toyota Premio almost. The shape from 2003 to 2009 is same.
    What is the reason of far far more luxurious cars have no customers. Is it difficult to maintain? Or fuel cost is way heavy on pocket. I just want a clear cut analysis from all of you, so it helps me making my mind. Thanks.

and the JUAGROO mentality we adopt to fix the problems in cars. ' Kabli is very common word when it is about parts, buying OEM new or OEM replacement seems like a Tab ooo people dare to think about

Kiki am sorry to read about your ordeal, its very sad
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Marschall View Post
    lagta hai shadi nahi howi....try explaining an expenditure of 4 lakh to ur wife
    Hahaha yes ubi tak nai hui but jald hojayegee..:p but the way i spend money on my cars, I guess it will be hard fr me to live a happy marital life..
    "..I am as bad as the worst, but, thank God, I am as good as the best..."
    -Walt Whitman

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post

a. people are willing to spend 3 mil & above next take that prado to CNG shop install 3 cylinders to run on CNG, and spend 2 hours waiting for CNG REFILL.
    b. people select crap 5 year old JDM vehicles and ask what is resale value after 5 years.,
    c. people buy E class and hire a DRIVER to drive them around whats' the catch ? SHASHKA ?? really !
    d. people believe a car does not need periodic maintenance in terms of mandatory replacement of NEW parts as timing belt, oil filter, fuel filter, tyres, flushing of coolant, brake fluid.

last but not least, all YEN credit / loans granted by Japanese Govt are channelled through JETRO watchdog which ensure the automotive policy in Pakistan remain tilted for Japanese interest.

The only disadvantage european cars face in South Asian markets is lack of parts support and small number of units are manufactured right hand drive compared to Left hand which 70% of world is using, thereby making such vehicle 2 notch more expensive to maintain compared to Japanese brands.

and the JUAGROO mentality we adopt to fix the problems in cars. ' Kabli is very common word when it is about parts, buying OEM new or OEM replacement seems like a Tab ooo people dare to think about

I am impressed from your approach brother.. I am totally agree with you. Thanks for the true analysis
    www.dr-tanveer.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by RollOnBigMaMa View Post
    Bro, only the wiper blades for a BMW 5 series E60 cost 15500 Rs from the dealer. LOL. Routine maintenance costs go beyond 3-4 lakh Rs easily.

The MAJOR reason why you should not buy a BMW or a Mercedes unless you have a separate bank account dedicated to your beloved German motor.

hmm - wiper blade rubber inserts are 8 or 9 dollars - that is not equal to Rs 15500/- 400,000 routine maintenance sounds like (charsee maintenance). Lets see here.

on my W210 I replaced the
    A/C clutch - USD 100/-
    radiator = USD 100/-
    tyres = USD 400/-
    trans fluid and filter change = USD 75/-
    trans electric connector change = USD 8/-

not much - same prices as a corolla.

in stock I have

front ball joints = USD 30x2
    sway bushings = 15x2
    roll bar bushing 6x2
    rear brake pads = USD 35/-

these prices are almost universal as they are imported parts and duties have been already paid to import into the US.

The problem in Pakistan is that regular business owners selling these parts think they are selling plutonium. The shops servicing these are idiots too. They ham fist a repair and then try to admit that they were right. I have had to fix tons of stupid repairs by such shops when I was living in Pakistan.

e.g. BAS error in car - a tech from Shnwz Ltd starts throwing acronyms to me and all that jazz saying its a 2 lakh repair order... lol.. The repair order was a snagged wiring cable - repair order was reduced by Rs 199,000/-
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post

I never understood - why the hell would you buy a mercedes if you want to be carted around with a chauffer. Drive the thing - thats the best part of owning it.

Yes - JETRO is a sort of venom that is double dipping the USD reserves in Pakistan. It also has a very fishy exchange rate.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    I never understood - why the hell would you buy a mercedes if you want to be carted around with a chauffer. Drive the thing - thats the best part of owning it.
    Being chauffered in a LWB Benz is a whole different thing...
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    Being chauffered in a LWB Benz is a whole different thing...

LWB benz is not in the same league as the little passenger benzes.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Marschall View Post
    lagta hai shadi nahi howi....try explaining an expenditure of 4 lakh to ur wife
    a little example.

oil change in my car requires 8 litres plus a fleece filter, even at best prices, discounts, savings etc - the best comes out at USD 60/-

Her car takes a 20 dollar oil change with filter.

She asks - WHY does your stupid car require this much.

I push the mileage factor - your car requires a change every 3000 miles, mine goes for 15,000 miles.

still - you have to prove your argument every time. - She does not like it when I purchase a ton of parts or tools.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If you balance tons of tools and parts with tons of shoes and hand bags it going to be a different story...
    RIP

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Owning a 2004 545i since 2007. Parts cost and labour rate is certainly not cheap.
    Knowledge is the Key to better and cheaper maintenance irrespective of whether an owner or technician is involved.
    Familiarity is also a factor is the quality of work. Therefore, a similarly equipped Toyota will be maintained better than a BMW in pakistani conditions.
    thanks.
    1999 Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic Wagon
    2004 BMW 545i

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    If you balance tons of tools and parts with tons of shoes and hand bags it going to be a different story...

yeah been there doing that.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rummat81 View Post
    Owning a 2004 545i since 2007. Parts cost and labour rate is certainly not cheap.
    Knowledge is the Key to better and cheaper maintenance irrespective of whether an owner or technician is involved.
    Familiarity is also a factor is the quality of work. Therefore, a similarly equipped Toyota will be maintained better than a BMW in pakistani conditions.
    thanks.
    The only thing that can be maintained in Pakistani conditions is a horse buggy.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rummat81 View Post
    thanks.
    namely Crown?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

german cars ask for love and car toyota ask nothing in return just fill with petrol and drive hardly any attention needed.... toyota has a resale value rest dont, part are very expensive and diesel one have injector problems so Japanese are popular Toyota sells more!
    BUG ME AND I WILL CRASH INTO U!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

In my life experience german cars except the fancy Audis were the most durable and can take a savage beating in any way, rain, shine, snow, mud - just point n shoot.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

can you explain JETRO thing in simple words and how its effecting us?
    regards

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have owned BMW, Merc, Jaguar and now an Audi. As capsat has already mentioned, its the mentality. I did import a Premio for Pakistan a year ago mainly because I live in London and will be used by mostly my dad so it made more sense. I would still go for BMW, Merc or an Audi and use the low resale value in my favour in Pakistan.

In my own experience, these car dont need any extra maintenance, however they do have best of breed engines and gadgets to take care of professionally and if you know yourself about the car you own, it makes much more easy to own and enjoy these babies. Honda Toyotas are no doubt no nonsense reliability and easy maintenance.

over the last decade or so, I had one issue with my E36, that was water pump failure, was closer to home and I managed to change the water pump myself. Jaguar experience wasnt that good TBH. I had a recent issue with my A6, scanned it and found PCV might be culprit so got the parts from Audi and replaced it in 30 mins myself, its on annual service by Audi that cost GBP 159 for normal or GBP 299 for a fancy one.

so if you know bit about cars or access to a competent mechanic , you can afford them without spending too much rip offs. rest is just rubbish floating around by people who dont know these cars!
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi there!

I am also looking to buy BMW 5 series. One thing that concerns me is the maintenance cost. I really don't know anything about maintaining a BMW. I know if you have the cash, you have the parts. I really need to know the maintenance schedule of a 2004-5 BMW 530di. Can anyone of you tell me the price of the following parts of a 2004-5 BMW 530di:
    1. Air filter.
    2. Oil filter.
    3. Lights (front and rear).
    4. Oil change.
    5. Paint cost and denting cost.
    6. Tires (any brand).
    7. Monthly maintenance cost etc...
    Your reply shall be appreciated!

Thank You!
    Akram Salman.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^ long story short, its going to be very expensive.

sent from a nuclear device
    The men are back. @TGT.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

One of my friend in Dubai owned a 5 series and and his navigation+audio system got screwed up. so he went to the official BMW workshop n few days later he got a quotation of AED 24k (complete replacement) and unable to fix the original unit! eventually he bought a second hand unit from a Sharjah scrapyard for AED 9k and sold it off!
    but the car was awesome n u wont feel anything even at 200 kmph but extremely costly to maintain the car!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

User Tag List