Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Want to buy Engine Swapped Car? OR want to Swap Engine ? think again

Swaps are considered THE ultimate solution if your neighbour tells that i swapped my engine and now my car goes like ZoooOom. .With the accessibility of used motors from their domestic markets, dropping a more powerful motor into your car is becoming increasingly cheaper. This in no way means a motor swap is easy, economical, or even a good idea. Modifying a car to the point of doing a motor swap requires two things: a huge amount of time, and an even larger amount of money. This is the basis of everything.

Here is my Short Story of Long Problematic Swapped Engine.

I bought a CB7 Accord which was released in 92-93 by Honda Company. This car seems very promising when it comes to various cars like hondas and civics. Its drive and comfort is even good than CF4 civic. Well all these factors led me to buy one.

The Transmission:
    On the day of inspection i saw a swapped F18B VTEC motor and I was like YAY this is the real deal. During the period when i used to clean the car i noticed few wire connectors laying around in engine bay. First thought OOO may be someone forgot to connect something. let me find them may be car would be more of fun. Here is link to Post on Pakwheels Asking what are they for. ____ the conclusion was Aw crap my transmission is hydraulic and the transmission that came with this engine was electronic. But OK ill live with that as long as gear is working

Why Engine wont REV over 5k RPM:
    Noticed car cant rev over 5k RPM....... why Why and then after research and spending months I knew my ECU was for Automatic Transmission and my Transmission is hydraulic and no signal is seen by ECU so it thinks car is static and it cant set various parameters. I was like i am doomed.

The ECU:
    Next Thing was why is my car so keen to end my fuel tank........... alot of research endless sleepless night thinking of the reasons, getting help by pakwheel members, international forums I came to know Awww Crap my ECU is you got to be kidding me....... My Engine is F18B and it is connected to F23A ECU.............. this was the secret of getting 4 km/l milage. Some how i had managed to buy and put in there F18B genuine ECU.

Why my car cant work on Scanner as it should.
    Well this is most crucial part most people dont bother. Car tells everything its going through via Cable link to Computer. All cars after 96(not suzuki of course) came with ODB2 Diagnosis port. I could not find one so could not knew what is going on. Some how i wanted to put a check engine light in my cluster. Googled and got ECU wiring schematic and shazam was ready to do that. Pulled one wire from Connector A of ECU and whole wire grip came to me. I Screamed I have killed the car............... and next i noticed well may be the electrician who did swap was a stupid guy who forgot to wire it. Never thought that its left intentionally as they dont know what and how to wire it. I took the pain and wired them in 3 months time. Boy that was some serious pain.

Why I am getting Check Engine Light:
    Well check engine light stayed ON for all time and when i pulled the codes first one was O2. Connected the o2 and next thing light again lits at 90km/h now this was knock sensor. Now what The F18B didnt had knock sensor........ now it was ECU problem.

Why Car runs like FX on Higher RPMS:
    Well mystery was that my fuel pump was bad and all mechanics tested by blocking the fuel pipe and if mechanic was a thin dude with less power said pump is fine and if he was strong says see i can stop the fuel coming out this means your fuel pump is bad. Iqbal Pyara also never wanted to work on my ride because it was not quick way to earn money. So i had t do it my self. Found Magic Motors and they finaly had Fuel Pressure Gauge.

Why there is Slugish Throttle Response?
    You press throttle and wait for few seconds for power to come to you.......... why Why Why and a guru on pakwheels told me why dont you check Valve clearence. Now i was lucky to get my hands laid on AutoData Manual and came to know that Value for Intake is 0.24-0.28 and for Exhaust 0.28-0.30. Guess what my car had both set to 0.1 which means no enough intake air and less exhaust air exit time............ Crap.

Why my spark plugs seems melted and Brown:
    Shared picture why my spark plugs are very odd in shape and color which is not comparable to any example over the internet. Why is that.Again the Guru pointed out these plugs are not for your car they belong to V6 hilux or Vitz something but they are too long which makes them to be in center of spark and get super duper hot....... I was like Phew if they have touched piston by any chance ill be in ruins.

Why new plugs are way black than ever?
    Car was literally a fuel guzzler and i cant handle it like this way. After few sleepless weeks and tiring work, absence from office opened the injectors and came to know what the hell they are D15 Civic Injectors what are they doing there, That is why i am getting 40% fuel trim. Changed the injectors today and still think car is throwing black smoke.

So list goes on and on and on and on. I didnt mentioned here few problems minor that i had, mentioned ones are the one which made me wake up all night. By the way thanks to Allah this car has never made me stop on road side. And May Allah keep his blessing and prevent that from happening .

Who should go for SWAP?

1.If you dont have habit of thinking WHY this and WHY that, then you are the luckiest person in world whose key to Happiness is Sanu Key.

2. If you dont fear getting your hands dirty and brave enough to spend more than 4 hours daily on you ride

3. You can google and get all data you need

4. You are good in electronics

5. You have determination to nail down any challenge

6. Or you think your mechanic and Electrician will do a proper complete swap for you and wont rip you off.

You can go for swap. Otherwise dont bother it. Normal people dont do swap they just sell off the car to someone else until car finds themselves guy like me or end up in junkyards

There are many people here who ended up with swap but were brave enough to make the odds in their favour. like @SER_GTR, @star2, @IsbCap, and Me of Course etc

The name of the Guy who helped me get out of this nose dive is Zulfiqar aka @Xulfiqar. May Allah be with him.

NOTE: This is my personal experience and based on other posts made by people here and on other forums. You may or may not agree with me on above points

So what is your SWAP Story?

Similar Threads:
    93 Accord CB7 (Sold) / 2005 CL7

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Who should go for SWAP?

For This There's Only One Answer

1. One With Lot Of Money , Time , Brain , Knowledge And Can Work On His OWN Also.....And SANE Person Who Can Swap It For Him....!

For Swaps There's One And Only Way Out.....HOMEWORK It Out Before Jumping....You Should Be Up On It Whole Time While Swapping..

You Go Leave It.....Be Prepared To LEAVE It Forever In 90% Cases....

I Have Seen People Selling Cars , Blowing Engines , Messed Up Performance And Ends Up With Broken Something In Middle Of Road...
    TOYOTA Sprinter 86- AE80 DOHC 20v'D TOYOTA Corolla 98- AE101 4AFE 16v

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

One thing I would like to add regarding proceeding for the swap yourself is to get it done from someone who has plenty of experience doing it already.

The workshop I got it done from had quite a bit of experience for swaps (Did three swaps in the single day I was there). So you can expect comparatively better stuff from them than a seasoned mechanic who only knows how to do tuning of a Suzuki engine.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

They Are Commercial People...I Won't Agree That Quantity Will Always Have QUALITY

They Will Just Wire Your Car To Start And Let It Go..... Since They Have More In Line After You....!
    TOYOTA Sprinter 86- AE80 DOHC 20v'D TOYOTA Corolla 98- AE101 4AFE 16v

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Swap = Acurately Putting engine in bay + Engine Level + Complete ECU wiring + Complete ECU to Body Harness wiring + Complete Sensor Network Working.
    @IsbCap figure out what your workshop did despite of experience. They have experience putting engine and geting it start only. All of them have this part only

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by afnan.bashir View Post
    Those guys who don't know anything and yet are brave enough to take steps like making custom timing belts or installing small d15 injectors to reduce fuel consumption

Sent from my HTC One using PW Forums mobile app
    Forget that i have seen taxi driver using CG125 bike carburetor in FX to save fuel
    *facepalm*
    :a

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Swap = Acurately Putting engine in bay + Engine Level + Complete ECU wiring + Complete ECU to Body Harness wiring + Complete Sensor Network Working.
    @IsbCap figure out what your workshop did despite of experience. They have experience putting engine and geting it start only. All of them have this part only

speaking of sensor networks - imagine what would happen if they tried to swap an engine whose electronics are run off a BUS network into the body.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

swapping the engines of mehran cultus is very easy i think.m i right?
    or one has to face all the hurdles in swaping engine in suzukis?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

these guys can't even get a plain old mehran in good tune, wiring an efi car is way too big a challange for them
    haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bravo122 View Post
    Forget that i have seen taxi driver using CG125 bike carburetor in FX to save fuel
    *facepalm*
    Someone yesterday told me the same story and I told him there an easy way to that. Put hundred rupees max in your pocket and your car would never consume more fuel than 100

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question is who is wrong here . I think we the comunity. During my workout on my karman wale everyone in my family says you are software engineer you do it projects leave this task for mechanics . Some say do you want to become mechanic? Throughout my research I have seen us people having complete backyard garage and have tools more than ever. There is no shame in it if one repairs his car himself

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question is who is wrong here . I think we the comunity. During my workout on my karman wale everyone in my family says you are software engineer you do it projects leave this task for mechanics . Some say do you want to become mechanic? Throughout my research I have seen us people having complete backyard garage and have tools more than ever. There is no shame in it if one repairs his car himself
    Ahan. So you are a software engineer . My new firm mainly related to software and web development is gonna be live in a matter of few days, IA.

And yes, though I don't find any shame in doing stuff myself (and the washing machine switches that I put to control switching from petrol to CNG are a head turner ( ) for everyone ), I find it more beneficial to put efforts into something I'm experienced in. One good deal can earn me enough to bring the car in tip top condition.

Result: I neither earned a single penny from web development, nor did bother to replace those switches with 6 relays which are lying calmly in my garage

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Great post

Sent from my Samsung 796cc via some chain reactions..
    https://www.facebook.com/OsamaAbbasPhotography

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Swaps are considered THE ultimate solution if your neighbour tells that i swapped my engine and now my car goes like ZoooOom. .With the accessibility of used motors from their domestic markets, dropping a more powerful motor into your car is becoming increasingly cheaper. This in no way means a motor swap is easy, economical, or even a good idea. Modifying a car to the point of doing a motor swap requires two things: a huge amount of time, and an even larger amount of money. This is the basis of everything.

Here is my Short Story of Long Problematic Swapped Engine.

I bought a CB7 Accord which was released in 92-93 by Honda Company. This car seems very promising when it comes to various cars like hondas and civics. Its drive and comfort is even good than CF4 civic. Well all these factors led me to buy one.

The Transmission:
    On the day of inspection i saw a swapped F18B VTEC motor and I was like YAY this is the real deal. During the period when i used to clean the car i noticed few wire connectors laying around in engine bay. First thought OOO may be someone forgot to connect something. let me find them may be car would be more of fun. Here is link to Post on Pakwheels Asking what are they for. ____ the conclusion was Aw crap my transmission is hydraulic and the transmission that came with this engine was electronic. But OK ill live with that as long as gear is working

Why Engine wont REV over 5k RPM:
    Noticed car cant rev over 5k RPM....... why Why and then after research and spending months I knew my ECU was for Automatic Transmission and my Transmission is hydraulic and no signal is seen by ECU so it thinks car is static and it cant set various parameters. I was like i am doomed.

The ECU:
    Next Thing was why is my car so keen to end my fuel tank........... alot of research endless sleepless night thinking of the reasons, getting help by pakwheel members, international forums I came to know Awww Crap my ECU is you got to be kidding me....... My Engine is F18B and it is connected to F23A ECU.............. this was the secret of getting 4 km/l milage. Some how i had managed to buy and put in there F18B genuine ECU.

Why my car cant work on Scanner as it should.
    Well this is most crucial part most people dont bother. Car tells everything its going through via Cable link to Computer. All cars after 96(not suzuki of course) came with ODB2 Diagnosis port. I could not find one so could not knew what is going on. Some how i wanted to put a check engine light in my cluster. Googled and got ECU wiring schematic and shazam was ready to do that. Pulled one wire from Connector A of ECU and whole wire grip came to me. I Screamed I have killed the car............... and next i noticed well may be the electrician who did swap was a stupid guy who forgot to wire it. Never thought that its left intentionally as they dont know what and how to wire it. I took the pain and wired them in 3 months time. Boy that was some serious pain.

Why I am getting Check Engine Light:
    Well check engine light stayed ON for all time and when i pulled the codes first one was O2. Connected the o2 and next thing light again lits at 90km/h now this was knock sensor. Now what The F18B didnt had knock sensor........ now it was ECU problem.

Why Car runs like FX on Higher RPMS:
    Well mystery was that my fuel pump was bad and all mechanics tested by blocking the fuel pipe and if mechanic was a thin dude with less power said pump is fine and if he was strong says see i can stop the fuel coming out this means your fuel pump is bad. Iqbal Pyara also never wanted to work on my ride because it was not quick way to earn money. So i had t do it my self. Found Magic Motors and they finaly had Fuel Pressure Gauge.

Why there is Slugish Throttle Response?
    You press throttle and wait for few seconds for power to come to you.......... why Why Why and a guru on pakwheels told me why dont you check Valve clearence. Now i was lucky to get my hands laid on AutoData Manual and came to know that Value for Intake is 0.24-0.28 and for Exhaust 0.28-0.30. Guess what my car had both set to 0.1 which means no enough intake air and less exhaust air exit time............ Crap.

Why my spark plugs seems melted and Brown:
    Shared picture why my spark plugs are very odd in shape and color which is not comparable to any example over the internet. Why is that.Again the Guru pointed out these plugs are not for your car they belong to V6 hilux or Vitz something but they are too long which makes them to be in center of spark and get super duper hot....... I was like Phew if they have touched piston by any chance ill be in ruins.

Why new plugs are way black than ever?
    Car was literally a fuel guzzler and i cant handle it like this way. After few sleepless weeks and tiring work, absence from office opened the injectors and came to know what the hell they are D15 Civic Injectors what are they doing there, That is why i am getting 40% fuel trim. Changed the injectors today and still think car is throwing black smoke.

So list goes on and on and on and on. I didnt mentioned here few problems minor that i had, mentioned ones are the one which made me wake up all night. By the way thanks to Allah this car has never made me stop on road side. And May Allah keep his blessing and prevent that from happening .

Who should go for SWAP?

1.If you dont have habit of thinking WHY this and WHY that, then you are the luckiest person in world whose key to Happiness is Sanu Key.

2. If you dont fear getting your hands dirty and brave enough to spend more than 4 hours daily on you ride

3. You can google and get all data you need

4. You are good in electronics

5. You have determination to nail down any challenge

6. Or you think your mechanic and Electrician will do a proper complete swap for you and wont rip you off.

You can go for swap. Otherwise dont bother it. Normal people dont do swap they just sell off the car to someone else until car finds themselves guy like me or end up in junkyards

There are many people here who ended up with swap but were brave enough to make the odds in their favour. like @SER_GTR, @star2, @IsbCap, and Me of Course etc

The name of the Guy who helped me get out of this nose dive is Zulfiqar aka @Xulfiqar. May Allah be with him.

NOTE: This is my personal experience and based on other posts made by people here and on other forums. You may or may not agree with me on above points

So what is your SWAP Story?
    WHO SHOULD GO FOR A SWAP?
    i was in 6th catagory. So did it in my civic nd prety happy with that.
    35000 km done after sawp.
    Only real engine problem faced til now was cam sensor. Got that changed in rs. 1100 :p:p

Sent from my GT-S5830 using PW Forums mobile app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by IsbCap View Post
    Ahan. So you are a software engineer . My new firm mainly related to software and web development is gonna be live in a matter of few days, IA.

And yes, though I don't find any shame in doing stuff myself (and the washing machine switches that I put to control switching from petrol to CNG are a head turner ( ) for everyone ), I find it more beneficial to put efforts into something I'm experienced in. One good deal can earn me enough to bring the car in tip top condition.

Result: I neither earned a single penny from web development, nor did bother to replace those switches with 6 relays which are lying calmly in my garage
    Yes did a lot of work in web and software developmet

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

salute to ur patience. (Y)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

bro really liked ur post
    The cars we drive say a lot about us.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Faizan920 View Post
    WHO SHOULD GO FOR A SWAP?
    i was in 6th catagory. So did it in my civic nd prety happy with that.
    35000 km done after sawp.
    Only real engine problem faced til now was cam sensor. Got that changed in rs. 1100 :p:p

Sent from my GT-S5830 using PW Forums mobile app
    Well that may be head assembly swap probably. Not modification I guess

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

you should have seen my home, at one point in time it looked more like a car repair shop, I even had a bench lathe in there. You should have seen the "stupid auntees" of the neighborhood complain to my mother. Some even asked her that is your son not "parha likha" like the other one. Some of my father's freinds questioned my father on my "stupid" hobbies - the local thaana also knew me as the nutcase who drives very silly cars. (e.g. test driving a car with no bumper/fenders/bonnet)

our desi society is very prudent, they feel ashamed in such work, I also have painted my house, installed A/Cs polished the floors, restained wood finish wardrobes etc etc. Its my life, my two hands and my will. I also had little "daawats" of my freinds in which we cooked biryani in a daig (bawarchi).........

It may have been a problem if you see 5 cars parked outside, two with their engines lying in my "annexe" - it was actually made as a store room but I used it for my own purpose later on, It was an airconditioned workshop

My lovely wife has thrown the towel on this matter - saying that Im very special (as in nutcase) - Lucky for me - my 2 yr old daughter loves to do what I do - e.g. if Im working on a car - she would help me (she would remove a tool from the workbench and stash it in her toy kitchen)

Its the same desi aunty story in houston too. desi ullu syndrome..
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

lolz, to be honest in the past two months i decided that i might become an engineer, but i will eventually end up working on cars, just like @Xulfiqar bhai, it looks like quite an appealing career option considering the fact that our mechanics are uneducated and they don't want to learn,

now that the cars are getting complex with electronic fuel injection, things are going beyond their league, i think now the market is getting ripe for enthusiasts like us.
    haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by margallar View Post
    lolz, to be honest in the past two months i decided that i might become an engineer, but i will eventually end up working on cars, just like @Xulfiqar bhai, it looks like quite an appealing career option considering the fact that our mechanics are uneducated and they don't want to learn,

now that the cars are getting complex with electronic fuel injection, things are going beyond their league, i think now the market is getting ripe for enthusiasts like us.
    No the market is not getting ripe for honest work. The average joe is still stuck with "suzookee eff exx carburettor" in their head, aatometick ghear requires full replacement, there is nothing known as metallurgy and all these finicky bits are a "bewaqoof bananey ka tareeqa"

I gave up on the bad dealings where you have to deal with fake currency, false promises and general bad attitude. I had better things to do which rewarded more in less time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

User Tag List