0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default JDM vs Local - Pros and Cons

I have a Suzuki Swift 2010 model. I'm thinking of selling it and either buying the new model Honda City when it comes out or a JDM Toyota Aqua or Prius C.

I'm just weighing my options. I've been told that importing directly is costly but I can see in the used cars section that the Toyota Aqua is being sold for, on average, for 21.5. So the seller in all likelihood must have bought the car for 19.5 or maybe 20, right? Am I correct in my assumption so far?

Also, from what I've heard about JDM's is that the parts and maintenance is not readily available. How true is that considering we have so many JDM cars on the road now?

Can please some JDM car owners give their opinions on any difficulties and problems faced?

Greatly appreciate it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by muradi View Post
    The previous Vitz was really Awesome, the looks the build quality the plastic all was 10/10 , the only thing bad was engine, the reason i opted for Swift this time was because i wanted to compare Pkdm and Jdm, And later i found out 90% of Swifts parts r Japanese , So obviously the quality was great, the paint and plastic is not impressive, but the engine compensates for it , Jdms r good but parts r a pain, for eg, My swift radiator bottle is broken, i can easily get a new one for 400, if it was a vitz, it wont have been less than 3000
    Totally agree bro, the quality of that vitz was 10/10. And I just sat in a friend's newer vitz a few days ago, I didnt say it to him but I was thinking that what has toyota done to vitz. And yea bro pkdm are easy to maintain and also doesnt gives any headache if something breaks down since newer parts are easily available at cheap prices.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by husnainkhan View Post
    Totally agree bro, the quality of that vitz was 10/10. And I just sat in a friend's newer vitz a few days ago, I didnt say it to him but I was thinking that what has toyota done to vitz. And yea bro pkdm are easy to maintain and also doesnt gives any headache if something breaks down since newer parts are easily available at cheap prices.
    Speaking of the New Shape Vitz, i saw a crashed New Shaped Vitz today, couldn't capture pics, it banged into a wall, i am pretty sure the repair would cost 70k+ , Toyota has made their cars lighter resulting in cheap plastic
    Laws r Made to be Broken

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by muradi View Post
    Speaking of the New Shape Vitz, i saw a crashed New Shaped Vitz today, couldn't capture pics, it banged into a wall, i am pretty sure the repair would cost 70k+ , Toyota has made their cars lighter resulting in cheap plastic
    Bro "lighter" isn't "cheaper" .. This isn't a scrap yard
    they make em lighter for better fuel mileage and they are very safer than our PKDMs
    Nd the plastic is of way better quality than our rollas

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So if one purchases jdm Prius he is utterly screwed because there is no perfect support even in isb?
    When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

to sum it up - if you consider "hard parts/consumables repairs" as all and entire repair of your car then its already a lost case arguing.

hard parts = brake pads, discs, drums, springs, tie rods, ball joints, bushings, nuts/bolts etc.

your car also has a lot of parts that only the dealer can provide (e.g. interior trim pieces or switches) - I know there is a scrap market in Pakistan but remember they are selling you "scrapped parts" - fixed hard parts are reusable - decorative/finish parts are 80% of time needed in new condition. Cars like these oddball import JDM kei/dinky do not have such parts support in Pakistan ready available to everyone.

So suggesting to an average guy to buy a JDM import because its awesome and has luxury pillow air bags and crumple zones is both bad advice and also invalid for Pakistan because firstly 80% of the Pakistani drivers either dont wear the RS system which is the seat belt - so the air bag which is the SRS system will never work if at all it is present in the first place. The crumple zones are beat to heck already by denter ustaad as we already know how many cars are imported in "scrapped" condition in Pakistan. Furthermore not everyone has the experience or patience to even knowhow where to scavenge for the junked parts to cannibalize to repair his JDM

e.g. the guy who lost his side view mirrors, why did he not source the real items?
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

9BL
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

In case of other JDM you have to go to Scrap Yard but for Prius now you get new parts.
    Audi is like a disease once it gets in your blood there is no going back

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

btw @Xulfiqar, i feel that a once noisy cv joint got silent after i changed the grease to lm47, does it happen that way or is it my weham?
    haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by margallar View Post
    btw @Xulfiqar, i feel that a once noisy cv joint got silent after i changed the grease to lm47, does it happen that way or is it my weham?
    correct CVJ grease works like that, wrong grease does not lubricate the joint like it should hence the clicky noise.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    to sum it up - if you consider "hard parts/consumables repairs" as all and entire repair of your car then its already a lost case arguing.

hard parts = brake pads, discs, drums, springs, tie rods, ball joints, bushings, nuts/bolts etc.

your car also has a lot of parts that only the dealer can provide (e.g. interior trim pieces or switches) - I know there is a scrap market in Pakistan but remember they are selling you "scrapped parts" - fixed hard parts are reusable - decorative/finish parts are 80% of time needed in new condition. Cars like these oddball import JDM kei/dinky do not have such parts support in Pakistan ready available to everyone.

So suggesting to an average guy to buy a JDM import because its awesome and has luxury pillow air bags and crumple zones is both bad advice and also invalid for Pakistan because firstly 80% of the Pakistani drivers either dont wear the RS system which is the seat belt - so the air bag which is the SRS system will never work if at all it is present in the first place. The crumple zones are beat to heck already by denter ustaad as we already know how many cars are imported in "scrapped" condition in Pakistan. Furthermore not everyone has the experience or patience to even knowhow where to scavenge for the junked parts to cannibalize to repair his JDM

e.g. the guy who lost his side view mirrors, why did he not source the real items?
    You are right there sir !

About the guy who lost his mirrors
    Maybe he did not buy new ones cx he knew they ll get stolen again

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I faced a problem when a rickshaw driver touched my car from the front left and broke my left headlight. I have a 2005 model Suzuki Kei. My experience tells me that for the cars which are common, their parts are easily available. By common here I mean vitz, corolla x, axio, premio, mira and maybe a couple more which i am missing. How good the part is and how easily you may find it also depends on your luck.
    Like in my case I went twice to plaza magazine line for the headlight.Both the time I was getting a genuine used light for 5000 but of the opposite side, which was useless for me ofcourse. So for the time being I got my light repaired from the light repairers for rs 1000. Later after months I was getting the ac filter of my car from tariq road when I went past a light repair shop. I asked him for the light and there I found it. Bought it for 7000.

So parts are available but here luck and effort both are a must.
    You talk about Democracy when you give me the right to VOTE !! This current "Democracy" is a SHAM ~ from Karachi...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by djrock900 View Post
    I faced a problem when a rickshaw driver touched my car from the front left and broke my left headlight. I have a 2005 model Suzuki Kei. My experience tells me that for the cars which are common, their parts are easily available. By common here I mean vitz, corolla x, axio, premio, mira and maybe a couple more which i am missing. How good the part is and how easily you may find it also depends on your luck.
    Like in my case I went twice to plaza magazine line for the headlight.Both the time I was getting a genuine used light for 5000 but of the opposite side, which was useless for me ofcourse. So for the time being I got my light repaired from the light repairers for rs 1000. Later after months I was getting the ac filter of my car from tariq road when I went past a light repair shop. I asked him for the light and there I found it. Bought it for 7000.

So parts are available but here luck and effort both are a must.
    Not everyone has the patience or even the know how where and how to look for such parts - lets take example of a young lady who got a nice job and bought a JDM kei because its "CUTE"

she should wear gloves n boots and rake the scrap yard to find the parts she wants?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List