5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Prius or Corolla? Confusion and doubts everywhere

Guys after spending lots of time on the internet and asking people, I have reached a decision, and that is between the 2011 Toyota Prius or the Toyota Corolla Grande 1.8 CVT-i.

The confusion is occurring because the features and mileage of the Prius attract me, while the looks and interior of the Corolla attract me. Please keep in mind of resale, maintenance and fuel economy.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@khizar44

Sir aap ko jo gari pasand hai, aur dil ko thuk rahee hai, aap wahee khareed layn, seedhi baat hai. Kyu keh jo cheez aap ko pasand he nai ho, aur ho bhalay heera, woh kisi kaam ki nai.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post
    which one you bought BRAND NEW Current year model ?? .. read carefully it is about buying a NEW or a USED
    I'll be very specific.
    Prius was 47,000 km genuinely driven when I bought it, and it did not feel like a used car at all.
    Took the delivery of Corolla myself, this new car feel was in Prius as well just there was no plastic on seats.
    As far as built quality is concerned, Prius takes a massive lead. Just considering the paint finish, that of Prius is at least 10 times better than that of Corolla, even though it is a brand new vehicle. Paint finish on my 8.5 year old Lancer is better even.
    I am not degrading the Corolla but when it is compared to Japanese vehicles it is very far behind, Corolla is to be compared with the locally assembled sedans only.
    To hell with fuel economy, the comfort level in the Prius is very high, the rear passengers don't feel cramped and travelling in it is a joy in itself, plus the features that these cars offer, local assembled cars don't even come several miles close to them.
    8th Gen Mitsubishi Lancer 1.3 GLX 2006; 3rd Gen Toyota Prius 1.8 S-Touring 2010; 11th Gen Toyota Corolla 1.3 GLi AT 2014.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^and exactly what are you going to do when a moron/idiot reverses into you car and breaks the tiny clips and other plastic bits of your car?
    talking about the prius

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AsFand26 View Post
    ^and exactly what are you going to do when a moron/idiot reverses into you car and breaks the tiny clips and other plastic bits of your car?
    Aisa ho chuka hai mere sath, bumper hil gaya tha apni position se lekin nothing broke, went to Nazir Autos G-8 and got the problem fixed in 1000 rupees without even removing the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    8th Gen Mitsubishi Lancer 1.3 GLX 2006; 3rd Gen Toyota Prius 1.8 S-Touring 2010; 11th Gen Toyota Corolla 1.3 GLi AT 2014.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My take: Prius is very nice car, but it is expensive than a brand new Corolla to begin with despite being used and scrapped in Japan

The major drawback: I live in Rawalpindi and I always hear grinding noises on bumps and without looking around 99% of instances it's a Prius.

I think parts would not be a problem as lot of scrapped vehicles part are available in used parts markets in major cities, though those will be expensive like hell and hard to hunt.

Rest it's a matter of personal preference. Personally if I have 27 lakh to spend on a car, I will spend on a brand new car, Grande or Civic Oriel PT.
    Be polite on the road. Always give way to others, particularly ambulances and pedestrians.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by autophile View Post
    My take: Prius is very nice car, but it is expensive than a brand new Corolla to begin with despite being used and scrapped in Japan

The major drawback: I live in Rawalpindi and I always hear grinding noises on bumps and without looking around 99% of instances it's a Prius.

I think parts would not be a problem as lot of scrapped vehicles part are available in used parts markets in major cities, though those will be expensive like hell and hard to hunt.

Rest it's a matter of personal preference. Personally if I have 27 lakh to spend on a car, I will spend on a brand new car, Grande or Civic Oriel PT.
    Sir parts were indeed a problem some time back, but gradually they are becoming abundant and cheaper as well. Prices have reduced as much as by 50% because of increased availability in the past one year and now different qualities are available as well.
    And yes even buying a small car is a matter of personal preference, no argument on that, but the person who is spending his money should get to know max possible pros and cons of the alternative options he has.
    When I was buying the Prius in January last year Grande was almost 7 months late to be launched and Civic didn't appeal me that much, I don't understand what is in that car that it is for almost 2.5 million PKR. Initially I didn't like the 2nd Gen Prius at all but this 3rd Gen changed that view and looking at all the options this car has, it's true value for money.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well, all of you are correct about the fact that the parts of the Prius are expensive, but, the Prius in my point of view is a much safer car in terms of passenger safety and that it is stolen less often. What do you think about this?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by khizar44 View Post
    Well, all of you are correct about the fact that the parts of the Prius are expensive, but, the Prius in my point of view is a much safer car in terms of passenger safety and that it is stolen less often. What do you think about this?
    8 airbags, upper trims have collision assist, Vehicle Stability Assist, Traction Control, 5 star crash test rating, push start with Immobilizer, Smart lock/unlock system, no thefts cases reported as such in Pakistan, without the original remote the ACCESORY mode won't even turn on. After looking at all these specs, fuel economy is just a bonus.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Prius or Corolla...? Confusion and doubts everywhere!

5 stars crash rating, supernatural comfort features bla bla and what about maintenance?
    It just belongs to 1800cc segment with reasonable comfort as grande and its maintenance is even more expansive than a Mercedes E class. Still one can get a Merc fixed in bigger cities with genuine, authentic and un used parts unlike scrapped kabuli parts.

Can you easily take it to sub urban areas or villages? Can you frequently travel on longer routes in a Prius?

NO.

Why anyone should pay freaking 27 lac for a car which is only meant to run locally? Even a 660cc tin can Jdm can serve this purpose really well with good comfort.

What's the point of buying it when you'd loose all your savings on replacement of a battery pack or replacing an AC compressor? Lets just not discuss resale value here. Just a month back Prius owners lost around 2 lacs on their cars straight away.

Whereas on the other hand corolla is a lot more reliable. Spares are cheap. Offers reasonable features. Excellent resale and can go from Taftaan to Gilgit, sub urban areas and villages easily and can take beating of our pathetic roads. On top of everything, BRAND new vehicle straight out of showroom.
    I'm not degrading Prius over here. It's a good car. But not good for our country. Why? Reasons already stated above.

In my opinion Corolla and other PKDM vehicles are the clear winner in the end keeping our roads and their conditions in mind.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aliusman420 View Post
    8 airbags, upper trims have collision assist, Vehicle Stability Assist, Traction Control, 5 star crash test rating, push start with Immobilizer, Smart lock/unlock system, no thefts cases reported as such in Pakistan, without the original remote the ACCESORY mode won't even turn on. After looking at all these specs, fuel economy is just a bonus.

thats all nice with the safety and techiness - but explain me something. I saw a lot of qingqi ricksha in Karachi when I was there - it was being used as a bus and the rearmost passengers legs were being employed as its crush zone in case of accidents, The traffic control and ministry of transport etc all are passing it for road worthiness, so how do you compare that.

I came to the conclusion that because traffic never exceeds an average of 15 km/h any crash that happens will actually never use such techno gizmos to save a person anyway - It maybe wrong.

now speaking of Prius, I have a weighted opinion against it, not in general but actually against it in Pakistan only. The problem is that firstly its not a regular car - its not a regular build. Its a pretty fancy unit and with a bunch of nuances thrown in to the mix. I have been contacted about 300 times till today just from Karachi for parts, support and also some tech assistance for Prius. 98% of them went into mental shock after knowing what it would cost. A number of them were asking for the headlamps that were stolen from their cars, a few asked for the inverter itself as they bought it with non-maintained coolant and promptly filled it with well water and corroded the pump and cooling jackets.

Then there were the questions of "zipping" sound from the gearbox and also burnt out ATF and sudden drive failure, All which point to a universal repair of "breaking down the trans and repairing it" - there is ONE huge problem with that, Toyota does not sell parts for it, they sell the whole trans assembled as a unit for replacement.

The owners got a real choking feeling of having to survive on eggs n roti for the next month - as they now have to "import" a fully functional and tested transmission.

Forget the battery packs - the car will run with them fully flat too, the engine will keep on running the car, Im just mentioning the tip of the iceberg.

Another bunch of calls was for interior parts and assemblies after the cars had been half submerged in rain water in Karachi, the shifter, the pedal sensor, the dash cluster, the battery bank, the inverter wiring, the engine wiring, the key unit and the powered windows were all crusted and corroded to scrap. The car was reduced to rubble as the repair costs in total was reaching 1 million PKR. - Poor owners only drove it for a mere 10,000~12,000 kms in a year.

Now coming to body parts - just like it was mentioned you cannot buy the little finishing items (bumper clips, wiring clips, push plugs, rubber seals, new locks) brand new from Toyota - you are left to rummage for parts in the scrap, its not entertaining unless you have a dedicated day in your week schedule to visit scrapyards and buy spare parts for future use.

All of the above is primary - the secondary problems are then "tech support" or mechanics who are following "book" repairs. Not meray ustaad ka andaaza with worn out sloppy tools made of chinesium metal.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    thats all nice with the safety and techiness - but explain me something. I saw a lot of qingqi ricksha in Karachi when I was there - it was being used as a bus and the rearmost passengers legs were being employed as its crush zone in case of accidents, The traffic control and ministry of transport etc all are passing it for road worthiness, so how do you compare that.

I came to the conclusion that because traffic never exceeds an average of 15 km/h any crash that happens will actually never use such techno gizmos to save a person anyway - It maybe wrong.

now speaking of Prius, I have a weighted opinion against it, not in general but actually against it in Pakistan only. The problem is that firstly its not a regular car - its not a regular build. Its a pretty fancy unit and with a bunch of nuances thrown in to the mix. I have been contacted about 300 times till today just from Karachi for parts, support and also some tech assistance for Prius. 98% of them went into mental shock after knowing what it would cost. A number of them were asking for the headlamps that were stolen from their cars, a few asked for the inverter itself as they bought it with non-maintained coolant and promptly filled it with well water and corroded the pump and cooling jackets.

Then there were the questions of "zipping" sound from the gearbox and also burnt out ATF and sudden drive failure, All which point to a universal repair of "breaking down the trans and repairing it" - there is ONE huge problem with that, Toyota does not sell parts for it, they sell the whole trans assembled as a unit for replacement.

The owners got a real choking feeling of having to survive on eggs n roti for the next month - as they now have to "import" a fully functional and tested transmission.

Forget the battery packs - the car will run with them fully flat too, the engine will keep on running the car, Im just mentioning the tip of the iceberg.

Another bunch of calls was for interior parts and assemblies after the cars had been half submerged in rain water in Karachi, the shifter, the pedal sensor, the dash cluster, the battery bank, the inverter wiring, the engine wiring, the key unit and the powered windows were all crusted and corroded to scrap. The car was reduced to rubble as the repair costs in total was reaching 1 million PKR. - Poor owners only drove it for a mere 10,000~12,000 kms in a year.

Now coming to body parts - just like it was mentioned you cannot buy the little finishing items (bumper clips, wiring clips, push plugs, rubber seals, new locks) brand new from Toyota - you are left to rummage for parts in the scrap, its not entertaining unless you have a dedicated day in your week schedule to visit scrapyards and buy spare parts for future use.

All of the above is primary - the secondary problems are then "tech support" or mechanics who are following "book" repairs. Not meray ustaad ka andaaza with worn out sloppy tools made of chinesium metal.
    You have summed it up really well. Everyone who is making his/her mind to buy a Prius in Pakistan should read this.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The best ever post on the topic. I don't have much time these days otherwise I would have made and posted the vido of grinding Priuses over speed breakers.
    Be polite on the road. Always give way to others, particularly ambulances and pedestrians.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

nailed it

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hmmm, so what about a 2nd Gen Prius which is being used since 2012, has clocked well above 150,000 km and has traveled from Karachi to Islamabad plus frequently travels from Karachi to interior Sindh?
    And I have taken my car to Chakwal and Fateh Jang where roads are not so good and faced no issue Alhamdulillah. My friend takes his 3rd Gen Prius frequently to Attock and Lahore and faced no issues. Not a car for long route and rough roads? Hmmm.
    Several Prius are being used in Gujranwala and connected areas, what about them?
    It's strange how die-hard Honda fanboys are praising Corolla all of a sudden just for the sake of disagreement.
    As for me, Alhamdulillah I am very happy with all that I have and I know the pros and cons before taking any decision, I don't smoke crack that I dump money here and there.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aliusman420 View Post
    Hmmm, so what about a 2nd Gen Prius which is being used since 2012, has clocked well above 150,000 km and has traveled from Karachi to Islamabad plus frequently travels from Karachi to interior Sindh?
    And I have taken my car to Chakwal and Fateh Jang where roads are not so good and faced no issue Alhamdulillah. My friend takes his 3rd Gen Prius frequently to Attock and Lahore and faced no issues. Not a car for long route and rough roads? Hmmm.
    Several Prius are being used in Gujranwala and connected areas, what about them?
    It's strange how die-hard Honda fanboys are praising Corolla all of a sudden just for the sake of disagreement.
    As for me, Alhamdulillah I am very happy with all that I have and I know the pros and cons before taking any decision, I don't smoke crack that I dump money here and there.

It's just the beginning and since @Xulfiqar lives in the largest city of Pakistan with largest Prius presence he is already getting so many calls for help regarding this car.

These cars may be running fine for a couple of more years but will eventually be facing issues @Xulfiqar is seeing everyday now. No car can run perfect forever as it is a piece of machinery and needs parts replacement. The worst case scenario is a repair after an accident which every car is now bound to have one due the number of cars and carefree reckless drivers out there.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

And yeah this is why I'm seeing "Oh my God please help me out my prius is giving me just 14km/l average after getting it tuned" threads and people running here and there for its parts.

Fateh jhang or chakwal is a long route? Pfft.
    Have you even visited interior Sindh? Oh maybe no because your Prius cannot go there as it even scraps real badly on speed breakers of Islamabad.
    Regarding being die hard honda fan or whatever. Please reply to my posts and other posts on the basis of facts. Don't turn it into a war thread which you're trying to do. You cannot win an argument like this.
    I'm even posting on this thread because I own both corolla(grande) and civic and presenting actual facts keeping our country's infrastructure in mind. Not because I have some personal grudges with your supernatural prius. Its just an ordinary car belonging to the same segment as civic and corolla.
    Keep calm and reply only when you have some facts to prove that prius is a suitable car for Pakistan.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What's all the fighting about?
    Name:  ImageUploadedByPW Forums1423162870.871110.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  230.0 KB

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sk_KingpiN View Post
    And yeah this is why I'm seeing "Oh my God please help me out my prius is giving me just 14km/l average after getting it tuned" threads and people running here and there for its parts.

Fateh jhang or chakwal is a long route? Pfft.
    Have you even visited interior Sindh? Oh maybe no because your Prius cannot go there as it even scraps real badly on speed breakers of Islamabad.
    Regarding being die hard honda fan or whatever. Please reply to my posts and other posts on the basis of facts. Don't turn it into a war thread which you're trying to do. You cannot win an argument like this.

The Prius that I stated visits interior Sindh is the 2nd Gen and belongs to my friend who lives in Karachi, and I don't have any plans in near future of traveling to Sindh by road otherwise I'll take the Prius.
    I mentioned Chakwal and Fateh Jang because of the rough roads there, ek ghantay ki drive ko long route nahi keh raha bro, H-12 se Secretariat 45 mins lag jatay hain araam se.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

And a vast majority of people facing problems haven't bought graded vehicles but bought accidental junk from dealers, a graded car speaks for itself.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Corolla over prius anyday! Prius is not ment for Pakistan. Toyota Indus just launched it so that companies would buy it. Prius is a menace once it starts giving problems. I've seen an owner literally kick his car. A friend's prius broke down in the middle of the road. The car wouldn't move. It was stuck there. The mechanic couldn't fix it (toyota 3s) and charged 3k for 'emergency services'. The car was moved a lifter and later taken by a tow truck and sold the very next week. Now, he has a NissanPino and he is much happier. He claims the fuel expense to be the same.
    Under the Coconut tree

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

User Tag List