Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By StrikerX

Thread: Idiocy at its finest (New U-Turn after Airport Rd - Rawal Rd Link)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Idiocy at its finest (New U-Turn after Airport Rd - Rawal Rd Link)

Most of you who travel daily via Airport Rd would know that 'authorities' are creating a new U-turn after the Rawal Rd-Airport Rd link for both sides traffic. That place already sees a lot of accidents because people coming from Rawal Rd immediately start moving to the right side to take the U-turn.

Accidents mostly happened there because traffic going towards airport is descending from the airport rd flyover so mostly cars are @ > 60-80km/h speed. Old U-turn was around ~1km from Rawal Rd-Airport Rd link while the new U-Turn is ~250m from Rawal Rd-Airport Rd link.

Already in the last 2 days, I've seen traffic choking at the new U-turn and cars coming down from the flyover braking heavily, I am afraid that the ratio of accidents there will increase because of this.

This was just for traffic going towards Airport, now the traffic which is going towards Airport Rd Flyover (towards Chaklala) is also suffering because of the U-turn because the U-turn comes soon after the bend (as you can see in the image below) and now people have to immediately veer to the left because of 1) U-turn 2) huge 2-3 inch cateyes on the fast lane (which is now the U-turn lane)

Here is a pictorial reference picture which will pretty much clear everything:
    Idiocy at its finest (New U-Turn after Airport Rd - Rawal Rd Link) - 7Yj2wdC @fazalwahab11375 @Haroon_Tarar @hash4u @onthehonda @ahmedraja1996 @HellsGuardian Thoughts?

And if anyone from the relevant authorities is reading this thread then you guys need to rethink about your new U-turn and think of a 'better' way for a U-turn for Airport traffic.

New U-turn is @ exactly this spot : https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/att...8376340550.jpg
    Idiocy at its finest (New U-Turn after Airport Rd - Rawal Rd Link) - 1516710d1418376480 city crash rawalpindi 1418376340550
    ChipLoco.com | Anything and everything from the tech world!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    842 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for the TAG. I have studied traffic engineering and traffic management and can share my own opinion and thoughts that can be applicable or may not be suitable at all ; but until I see the road traffic survey, traffic count, peak, off peak hours as well as surrounding vicinity, priorities, options A, B and C / alternates as well as budgets and most important the road plans/ U turn drawings.. Its very difficult for me to say anything. Share wide angle photos and We can discuss.
    Meanwhile can you tell me who is doing this? I mean Its in Cantt area, so is this under cantonment management or RDA?. If you see any sign showing any details share here as well.
    Pakwheels on the MAP; http://bit.ly/ZVyXcZ

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fazalwahab11375 View Post
    Thanks for the TAG. I have studied traffic engineering and traffic management and can share my own opinion and thoughts that an be applicable or may not be suitable at all ; but until I see the road traffic survey, traffic count, peak, off peak hours as well as surrounding vicinity, priorities, options A, B and C / alternates as well as budgets and most important the road plans/ U turn drawings.. Its very difficult for me to say anything. Share wide angle photos and We can discuss.
    Meanwhile can you tell me who is doing this? I mean Its in Cantt area, so is this under cantonment management or RDA?. If you see any sign showing any details share here as well.
    I'll try taking a few pictures tomorrow, and yes this is in Cantt area so should come under RCB (correct if I am wrong).

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you for highlighting this.
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Right now the idea is to give some relaxation to the previous airport uturn when u r coming from isb side.. i think they should also close down i8 signal too, people can take a uturn from faizabad flyover, those coming from isb side for i8, and those going to rwp from i8 can take a uturn from zero point..

it may sound silly the airport one and the one i m suggesting, but our mindset is focused on minimum budgets with least efforts... unfortunately,
    people who use Highbeams.. once day would suffer too bigtime. People who drive slow on fast lanes, remember one day a vehicle carryin ur son, dad might get late to hospital coz people like u. underaged driving will land u in bigtime trouble one day or the other.. And the Blue indication light on ur speedometer denotes "High Beams"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by takko View Post
    Right now the idea is to give some relaxation to the previous airport uturn when u r coming from isb side.. i think they should also close down i8 signal too, people can take a uturn from faizabad flyover, those coming from isb side for i8, and those going to rwp from i8 can take a uturn from zero point..

it may sound silly the airport one and the one i m suggesting, but our mindset is focused on minimum budgets with least efforts... unfortunately,
    I get what you're saying about easing the load @ the old airport u-turn but they could have easily achieved that by getting people to take the u-turn from under the flyover (if budget was a problem). This new u-turn makes no sense and at first I thought its temporary but looks like they've made up their mind.

Besides, the load @ old u turn is only ever high in the time of hajj flights. The rest of the days its not that high.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerX View Post
    I get what you're saying about easing the load @ the old airport u-turn but they could have easily achieved that by getting people to take the u-turn from under the flyover (if budget was a problem). This new u-turn makes no sense and at first I thought its temporary but looks like they've made up their mind.

Besides, the load @ old u turn is only ever high in the time of hajj flights. The rest of the days its not that high.

the old uturn got over loaded, due to new structure and slow clearance at the airport gate, the vvips from isb had to wait alot, since their vvip lanes were blocked... going to the roundabout under the flyover would have been the best decision, but then the traffic from rawal road had to go all over the airport, and then take the uturn, that would have added nearly 15 mins to the drivetime.. while the arty connecting rawal road and roundabout under the flyover had to be closed down due to bomb laded fx caught parked there..
    people who use Highbeams.. once day would suffer too bigtime. People who drive slow on fast lanes, remember one day a vehicle carryin ur son, dad might get late to hospital coz people like u. underaged driving will land u in bigtime trouble one day or the other.. And the Blue indication light on ur speedometer denotes "High Beams"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by takko View Post
    the old uturn got over loaded, due to new structure and slow clearance at the airport gate, the vvips from isb had to wait alot, since their vvip lanes were blocked... going to the roundabout under the flyover would have been the best decision, but then the traffic from rawal road had to go all over the airport, and then take the uturn, that would have added nearly 15 mins to the drivetime.. while the arty connecting rawal road and roundabout under the flyover had to be closed down due to bomb laded fx caught parked there..
    I see, anyways the new u-turn is already causing chaos. Today @ around 6pm traffic was stuck from that u-turn till the start of the flyover Hopefully the 'fauji' VVIPs get stuck in traffic jams now.

But the point still stands, the traffic will not be as fluid as before and the risk for accidents will be high.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Definitely this new U-turn is dangerous because noone expects it to be there. Probably within a couple of days people will know that it is there and drive more carefully. But to be honest, I travel via rawal road nearly every day and while coming back this U turn is a blessing because most of the time the traffic is stuck on the old U turn (around 1Km away from this new Uturn). So this does save lots of time. What is to be done here is that the U turn should be made just like the ones on peshawar road so that the people interested in a U turn go right whereas rest of the traffic can keep left and proceed.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So many ov you pass by that daily. Ought to have a get together there!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

From last two days traffic is badly congested on this place. When i saw that u turn in middle i thought people did it to turn back if traffic was too much but yesterday saw police blocks over there. Umrah flights could be the reason also.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by onthehonda View Post
    Definitely this new U-turn is dangerous because noone expects it to be there. Probably within a couple of days people will know that it is there and drive more carefully. But to be honest, I travel via rawal road nearly every day and while coming back this U turn is a blessing because most of the time the traffic is stuck on the old U turn (around 1Km away from this new Uturn). So this does save lots of time. What is to be done here is that the U turn should be made just like the ones on peshawar road so that the people interested in a U turn go right whereas rest of the traffic can keep left and proceed.
    That could work but I think they should then open the road a bit more (on the left side) from where Rawal Rd traffic joins airport Rd. That triangle beatification thingy takes up a single lane i think

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I dont understand what is the point of this u-turn? now the cars coming from rawal road will always use this u-turn disturbing the traffic coming from fly-over :/

Many years ago, there was a u-turn (or may be signal i dont exactly remember) right where rawal road meets airport but it was closed because of the mess created by the traffic. Now they are doing the same thing except that it is more towards the curve so the cars doing u-turn will suddenly be in front of the incoming traffic (from airport)

p.s there are already u-turn/signal hardly a minute away then why create this one?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Another idiocy is at ammar chowk where signals are installed at round about.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Farhansa View Post
    Another idiocy is at ammar chowk where signals are installed at round about.
    Those are required though otherwise whole roundabout gets choked @ peaktime
    p.s wardens/MP are there most of times these days to control traffic

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ poster absolutely agree with you. stupid planning by authorities.
    top documentaries " Tears of Gaza"

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This road was also closed some time back

Idiocy at its finest New UTurn after Airport Rd  Rawal Rd Link -1548059

Traffic congestion would be normal as people used to start thinking about U-turn as soon as they joined Airport Road from Rawal Road.
    Now most of them would be shooting across changing lanes, regardless of the traffic coming from behind.
    When this problem would become substantial the administration in order to correct this would probably put speed traps there (which believe me are not speed traps but puncture traps)
    Only in Pakistan you would find these things on Highways. I mean a series of them were laid out on GT road b/w Kharian and Gujrat.
    People doing 100 can't be expected to slow down that quick resulted in many people having tire punctures and tire bursts.
    If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Unhappy

I completely agree with you OP, i almost got into an accident because of the traffic coming from rawal road and turning right immediately without even looking in their back or side mirrors or using turn signals, specially taxi and suzuki walas. The place is a mess now

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Chaudhary007 View Post
    This road was also closed some time back

Idiocy at its finest New UTurn after Airport Rd  Rawal Rd Link -1548059

Traffic congestion would be normal as people used to start thinking about U-turn as soon as they joined Airport Road from Rawal Road.
    Now most of them would be shooting across changing lanes, regardless of the traffic coming from behind.
    When this problem would become substantial the administration in order to correct this would probably put speed traps there (which believe me are not speed traps but puncture traps)
    I wouldn't put it past them.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Its still there :-)