Survey by Qualaroo
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree390Likes

Thread: JDMs, The Misconceptions and Myths.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lightbulb JDMs, The Misconceptions and Myths.

Assalam o Alaikum Everyone.
    From the past few days a hot argument is going on between Wagon R Owners and Jdm Owners which is doing nothing but creating hatred and in the end jdm owners r accused of being so called " DEALERS " and afraid of their cars not being sold due to the amazing Success of Wagon R (LOL)
    Similar many examples r available and r creating alot of Misconceptions and Confusing potential Buyers.

Japanese Cars:
    There is absolutely no doubt on the fact that these cars r very much advanced then the local cars manufactured here. Have a lot of attractive features and are light on fuel aswell.
    The Goods of Jdms:
    1. Much Advanced Cars with very good built quality
    2. Much Stronger.
    3. Alot of Safety Features.
    4. More Spacious
    5. Light on fuel
    6. More Reliable.
    7. Easy to drive ( in case of 660cc )
    8. Have even more features than a top of the line civic at almost half the cost
    The Bads:
    1. Side Mirrors, ( They r easily removable and expensive. Although local car mirrors arent safe as well i.e Corolla )
    2. Parts r Considerably Expensive. ( Although market cars like Mira and Alto have spares priced similar to pkdms )
    The Myths:
    1. Jdms. Especially 660cc r unreliable and heatup on long routes.
    This is not true at all. These engines are very powerful and can easily bear continuous long drives with ease.
    2. Jdms die with heavy weight. ( 660 )
    To an extent this is true, but doesn't mean that car will die with 4 people on board. If u have a small family like a couple with children 660 is fit for you. but if u r going to fit 4 100kgs+ Pehelwans inside the car will surely hesitate
    3. The Engine is very advanced and can not be understood by mechanics in pak.
    That is a big joke. The Car does not use some special engine from another universe, It uses a normal Efi engine which is now found in almost every pkdm new car and a mechanic working on a pdm car can easily work on a jdm.
    4. Car touches alot of speed breakers.
    Yes but same is the case with majority of pkdms, Blame the speed breakers not the Car
    5. Jdms are not value for money.
    If jdms r not value for money, then is 7 Lacs for a Mehran and 10 Lacs for a Cultus value for money?
    6. Jdms have Zero Resale.
    Jdms r the first choice of dealers to make money and gives alot of profit. Many owners have sold them on profit as they dont have a fixed value and their value keeps changing.
    7. Jdms r mostly Accidented
    Not All Jdms are accidented, Some are, Its the Buyers responsibility to get the car checked by a denter and ask for an auction sheet from the dealer and get it verified. And not just jdms we should get pkdms checked aswell as brand new pdms can also get hit and r locally repaired at dealerships before delivery,
    8.JDMS r Sluggish and have no pick
    They r designed to obtain optimum Fuel Economy and not for street racing . The CVT tranny isn't fun but helps to keep the rpm stable and to achieve max fuel economy, That is the reason why Vitz has a low pick at starting.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________

The Reason of creating this thread was to clear up all the misconceptions growing up and to end the hatred being built among members.
    Another funny thing.
    Iv'e heard many members saying when anyone says something supporting jdm. " He is a dealer, Humari gari ki waja se in ka kaam band hogaya hai is liye bechare pareshan hai " . People, Please be sensible, We have better things to do in life rather than doing such crap here. Calling someone a dealer because he is with jdms is the height of wisdom . I or any jdm supporter have absolutely no link with buying, selling or importing jdms. I own a Pkdm and im pretty happy with it. ( Will be posting a detailed comparison bw Swift and Vitz aswell ).
    Peace
    MOD Edit: This is not a Jdm Vs Pkdm thread.
    this thread is to clear the misconceptions growing and confusing members about jdms.
    No Personal Attacks,
    Kindly keep this thread Clean.

Laws r Made to be Broken

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by harib4u View Post
    8. Have even more features than a top of the line civic at almost half the cost
    do you think civic is top of the line? what is top of the line for you?
    by top of the line i mean top spec civic i.e Civic Vti Oriel Prosmatic
    Laws r Made to be Broken

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ab tow suna hy toyota waly b yaris launch krny lagy hain i hope it vl launch in start of 2016 or when the budget vl b announced and another thing 80% duty vl b reduced from JDMs i hope this is also true phir bye bye to mehran n swift, wagon R in 1.0L category 😜

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkhan View Post
    Ab tow suna hy toyota waly b yaris launch krny lagy hain i hope it vl launch in start of 2016 or when the budget vl b announced and another thing 80% duty vl b reduced from JDMs i hope this is also true phir bye bye to mehran n swift, wagon R in 1.0L category 

i dont think so, n almost all importers believe on that. yes ye ho sakta hai jasy 1000cc hyberd par duty khatm ki, last year, may b is sal 660 hyberd par 80% kam kar dain

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ab tow suna hy toyota waly b yaris launch krny lagy hain i hope it vl launch in start of 2016 or when the budget vl b announced and another thing 80% duty vl b reduced from JDMs i hope this is also true phir bye bye to mehran n swift, wagon R in 1.0L category 😜

Its not and cannot be , the duties keep the balance of trade : Balanced lol
    Always respect your parents

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by COOLTAHIR View Post
    What if one have to drive these dinkys (jdms) in remote areas? Where no any part will be available? Where if it creates trouble no any mechanic will sort out the problem.
    So in short these dinkeys are good for cities and advanced areas where there are advanced workshops for these cars.
    Other than this these cars are relay advanced and more good than pkdms
    & here in pakistan ppl only think about resale & parts. thats why (corolla cultus mehran) sale is more then all pkdm, jdm ,used & new (660cc-5000cc) ,,,,, city civic swift vitz mira are bad cars ??? no ,,, but ppl dont like to buy

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Many of your points are valid but it all depends on sustainability.
    Eg, Aventador, outclass car but a person living in hunza nagar won't even think to buy it even he's offered 80% less than the actual price, what he needs is that old pal called FJ40 land cruiser with stiff suspension and no luxury options not because it's better than aventador but because it's sustainable in terms of maintenance.
    Living in Lhr, Isb & Khi jdm can be bought eyes closed but what to do in case of other cities?
    Vitz is the most common jdm I think but all you need is to travel 100 kms outside of these mega cities and finding oil filter of vitz will cost you a whole day, talking about other stuff like water pump, it's totally impossible.
    Now you can understand how will be the condition of other jdms. Majority of us can't afford to keep jdms due to this hard fact.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by harib4u View Post
    i dont think so, n almost all importers believe on that. yes ye ho sakta hai jasy 1000cc hyberd par duty khatm ki, last year, may b is sal 660 hyberd par 80% kam kar dain
    Yes maybe but mayb its true .. Yh tow budget ay ga tbhe pata lagy ga n im waiting for toyota yaris seriously suzuki products will b thrown into scrap blood sucking company 7 lac ki mehran 😣😣😣😣

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Jdms Vs Pkdms, The Mis Conceptions and Myths.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayMaker View Post
    Eg, Aventador, outclass car but a person living in hunza nagar won't even think to buy it even he's offered 80% less than the actual price, what he needs is that old pal called FJ40 land cruiser with stiff suspension and no luxury options not because it's better than aventador but because it's sustainable in terms of maintenance.
    Living in Lhr, Isb & Khi jdm can be bought eyes closed but what to do in case of other cities?
    Vitz is the most common jdm I think but all you need is to travel 100 kms outside of these mega cities and finding oil filter of vitz will cost you a whole day, talking about other stuff like water pump, it's totally impossible.
    Now you can understand how will be the condition of other jdms. Majority of us can't afford to keep jdms due to this hard fact.
    Well kuch pany ky liye kuch khona parta hy bro n even i own a mehran n i keep one oil filter in my car n hv few at home in advance n if a person tracks all his car readings he wont be needing that oil filter on the road.. Maintance time py krwao tow koi gari kharab ni hoti rasty main its my personal experience.. People dnt maintain their cars they try to save money n aik he baar bara sa tanka lagta hy my car never gave up ever on road ...n i kept baleno 2005 for 5 years n she never gaveup on road too..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well kuch pany ky liye kuch khona parta hy bro n even i own a mehran n i keep one oil filter in my car n hv few at home in advance n if a person tracks all his car readings he wont be needing that oil filter on the road.. Maintance time py krwao tow koi gari kharab ni hoti rasty main its my personal experience.. People dnt maintain their cars they try to save money n aik he baar bara sa tanka lagta hy my car never gave up ever on road ...n i kept baleno 2005 for 5 years n she never gaveup on road too..

I too have 2003 model mehran with 1 lac 20k on the odo, till now it's been doing great, but obviously with periodic and preventive maintenance.
    Har dafa ye zaroori nahi hota k car band hi ho sometimes little issues become headache. A personal example, my friends owns a 2008 vitz which he bought in 2010, the car was only 17k on the odo and car's condition speaked for itself. That's why he paid more than market rate of ordinary vitzs. My friend takes care of his rides so much that he takes his car for check up even on a little tik tik sound.
    Now coming back to topic, when the car clocked 55k a friction sound which was like faulty water pump sound started to come, he took his car for check up to the most authentic mechanic of the city (more than 10 years of experience at authorized toyota dealership now runs his own workshop). The mechanic said that it's the water pump issue, my friend made a special tour to Rwp and bought the pump for 5000, on installing it the sound was still there. Then the mechanic said that's its the compressor issue and you need to pay 15k and he can arrange it for you. By chance, my friend had to visit Lhr, when he parked car in a workshop there and started the engine, within seconds the mechanic said that its the pulley issue which is connected to the compressor. He also had the similar pulley of another jdm which he installed in 1500-2000 and car became fine.
    This is just one example, a car is a machine. No matter what do u do it still finds a way to create a trouble, how many of us can arrange a special tour to Lhr/Isb just for car's repair and maintenance? Answer is 'not many'.
    As I already said Lhr/Rwp/Isb/Khi jdms = eyes closed. Other cities, think 100 times before buying it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Agree, fuel filter for passo 2012 cost me 21k which comes with fuel pump not alone and that too after 2 days of khuari at plaza area in karachi.
    Help others so that u can be Helped

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs down Pkdm

Controversial topic. But here I would favour PKDM. Sure the quality sucks big time and the price is unnaturally high and features are rock bottom low, but what you get is a new car with a warranty. A JDM car is too awesome but its a big gamble. You may end up with a jewel but at the same time you may end up with a garbage can.

Of course an older model PKDM might not be supported by the 3S but local market support is usually quite enough. However, for JDM that might be a bit of a problem a few years down the line. Plus, used cars have been used somewhere by some Japanese and usually have more than 100k Km on their odometers.

Choice is yours, I just expressed my opinion.
    :-)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Why hasn't anyone yet referred to the availability of service manuals, wiring diagrams, and OBD II diagnostic tools that support JDM protocols? How many local technicians actually have access to these things, in addition to TSBs from the manufacturer?
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

JDMs are a class apart...

Easy formula is applicable:

JDMs - Less maintenance - but costly

PkDMs - More maintenance - but Cheaper (not cheap)

Comfort wise JDMs > PkDMs...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

People this is not a Jdm Vs Pkdm Thread. Please keep it that way. Thanks
    Laws r Made to be Broken

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I too have 2003 model mehran with 1 lac 20k on the odo, till now it's been doing great, but obviously with periodic and preventive maintenance.
    Har dafa ye zaroori nahi hota k car band hi ho sometimes little issues become headache. A personal example, my friends owns a 2008 vitz which he bought in 2010, the car was only 17k on the odo and car's condition speaked for itself. That's why he paid more than market rate of ordinary vitzs. My friend takes care of his rides so much that he takes his car for check up even on a little tik tik sound.
    Now coming back to topic, when the car clocked 55k a friction sound which was like faulty water pump sound started to come, he took his car for check up to the most authentic mechanic of the city (more than 10 years of experience at authorized toyota dealership now runs his own workshop). The mechanic said that it's the water pump issue, my friend made a special tour to Rwp and bought the pump for 5000, on installing it the sound was still there. Then the mechanic said that's its the compressor issue and you need to pay 15k and he can arrange it for you. By chance, my friend had to visit Lhr, when he parked car in a workshop there and started the engine, within seconds the mechanic said that its the pulley issue which is connected to the compressor. He also had the similar pulley of another jdm which he installed in 1500-2000 and car became fine.
    This is just one example, a car is a machine. No matter what do u do it still finds a way to create a trouble, how many of us can arrange a special tour to Lhr/Isb just for car's repair and maintenance? Answer is 'not many'.
    As I already said Lhr/Rwp/Isb/Khi jdms = eyes closed. Other cities, think 100 times before buying it.
    Well in this case bro the mechanic is to be blamed bro and not the car, the same issue can occur in a corolla as well because it is using the same technology,
    Laws r Made to be Broken

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by muradi View Post
    Well in this case bro the mechanic is to be blamed bro and not the car, the same issue can occur in a corolla as well because it is using the same technology,
    Yes that's the point, if you minus the good mechanics of big cities then you would blame more than 95% mechanics of other small cities. So with limited or no parts availability, 5% mechanics, jdm is a gamble.
    Technology and engine set up are two different things, a boy in my univ did engine rebuild of his vitz and after reinstalling the engine all the sensors where messed up by the mechanic and he had to get them from Rwp after spending some really heavy amount.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes that's the point, if you minus the good mechanics of big cities then you would blame more than 95% mechanics of other small cities. So with limited or no parts availability, 5% mechanics, jdm is a gamble.
    Technology and engine set up are two different things, a boy in my univ did engine rebuild of his vitz and after reinstalling the engine all the sensors where messed up by the mechanic and he had to get them from Rwp after spending some really heavy amount.
    agreed, The main problem is that our roadside mechanics r used to the old school " Carbarater " Engines so that they cant understand these engines. Hence they say its flop. bekaar gari hai bla bla. This was one of the biggest reasons of flopping of Liana. Firstly it had to many factory faults and to top it up no road side mechanic could understand it. The mechanics did hit and trial method and the car got ruined. Lack of education comes and that is why Mehran is still ruling the market even at a ridiculous price of 7 lacs. Majority of the owners don't even read the user manual. A person who has good knowledge of cars and knows how to maintain it can go for Jdms safely else yes if u r gonna trust the roadside mechanic to maintain your ride, Then Mehran Zindabad!!!
    Laws r Made to be Broken

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Salam everyone.I just wanna share my experience with Suzuki Wagon R stingray T 2011. From November 2013-November 2014 i traveled on it every weekend from ISD to LHR and back via motorway and sometime GT road. Total mileage during this one year period was around 45000 kms. Winters, summers, thunderstorms with excessive rain, she saw it all. average speed was always 130kmph on motorway. Never once did she give even the slightest problem to me AlhamdoLillah. With so much travel in less than a year of local as well as long routes and remaining trouble free speaks volume about these Kei cars standard and durability. And it wasnt even a top grade vehicle, in fact R grade and yet to this day its trouble free with odo at almost 75k
    We can debate all day about JDM's or PKDM's but for me this discussion has always been simple. Yes resale, easy parts availability and maintenance are very important, but what about the time period for which you own a vehicle?? If it doesnt satisfy you in that period, could it be declared as a true Value for Money?? I dont think so. Cheers !!
    Jp Rides Access - Transparency, Quality, Value for money (www.facebook.com/jpridesaccess)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

He should have bought a used engine for 20k instead
    Always respect your parents

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This seems like an interesting thread, just a few things to add. Automotive industry is evolving around the world, even the PKdms are evolving, the new civic and corolla have also reached a spot where your roadside mechanic can't handle them. Vehicles have reached a stage where they are filled with sensors and require a computer to detect their faults. Our local mechanics don't want to adopt that because it would require them to hire an educated fellow.
    Long story short, those who understand cars and want to enjoy them, they can keep these cars in the most remote of areas. Those who don't and rely on mechanics to keep their vehicles in good condition should stick to PKdm only because the parts are cheaper and the mechanic won't be able to haggle them too much.
    Note: this is just an opinion, I apologize if it hurts anyone or insults them

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

User Tag List