Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By smokin

Thread: Is Toyota Corolla 2.0D Saloon correct choice?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Is Toyota Corolla 2.0D Saloon correct choice?

Salam Brothers,
    I currently own a Suzuki Mehran VX 2013 (petrol, AC and Servo Brakes installed). It is 60,000/- km driven. The car has never troubled me. It is giving me excellent fuel average (18.41 km/l in Lahore on my last refill). The only issues are comfort and AC in summers. I travel almost 70 km per day in Lahore and the car makes me tired alot.

I read many posts from @Xulfiqar that diesels give very good average. I was considering to buy Corolla 2.0D, as it is the only option in diesel. It is comfortable too. If I buy it I intend to bring it factory specs. Is it advisable? I am just attracted towards diesels now a days. I drive with very light foot so no issue of pick etc.

My main requirements are: i- Comfort, ii-economy

I dont want JDMs as they are expensive and they touch ground alot. Petrol driven City is already at home so not considering it either. Cultus gives good average but I dont want it.

So is it advisable to go for Corolla 2.0D considering my above requirements? Is it economical (if restored to factory specs)?

@Xulfiqar @SER_GTR @capsat

Almost everyone in Pakistan is doing corruption to the extent they can. Our leaders are doing at the level they can do. So why should we complain?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Any time

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Depends In What Condition You Get ..2ndly How You Are Going To Maintain Tune It As There Are Not Much Diesel Mechanics Available..Available As I Mean In Proper... Else Every 2nd Mechanic Claim To Work On Diesel With No Proper Tools...
    @Xulfiqar Can Explain Much Better Than Any Of Us..
    TOYOTA Sprinter 86- AE80 DOHC 20v'D TOYOTA Corolla 98- AE101 4AFE 16v

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SER_GTR View Post
    Depends In What Condition You Get ..2ndly How You Are Going To Maintain Tune It As There Are Not Much Diesel Mechanics Available..Available As I Mean In Proper... Else Every 2nd Mechanic Claim To Work On Diesel With No Proper Tools...
    @Xulfiqar Can Explain Much Better Than Any Of Us..
    I am not going to take it to just any mechanic if I buy. I'll make sure that I get the work done from someone who knows the work. Else I'll opt for Toyota's mechanics. And of course I am gonna take help from you brothers.
    Almost everyone in Pakistan is doing corruption to the extent they can. Our leaders are doing at the level they can do. So why should we complain?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

A diesel engine is good on in factory spec otherwise nightmire the biggest probem owning diesel car in pakistan is that almost no one time diesel timing with correct and relyy on "andaza" a badly timed diesel pump means kiss you engine good buy btw whyy are you considering the stupid diesel cowroll whty not nissan cd20.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saboor73 View Post
    A diesel engine is good on in factory spec otherwise nightmire the biggest probem owning diesel car in pakistan is that almost no one time diesel timing with correct and relyy on "andaza" a badly timed diesel pump means kiss you engine good buy btw whyy are you considering the stupid diesel cowroll whty not nissan cd20.
    Nissan will be too old.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if you get tired in mehran(Manual transmission), then better go for an automatic car..makes life in a city like lahore much easier. I got my conservative/conventional father despite all of his Opposition automatic one and now after a year he is very happy and doesnt get tired as much. Also corolla 2D isnt going to be cheap either. I thikn you definitely can buy a jdm for the same price

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

to test the car engine health contact Obama Car Care centre Garden Town Lahore 0321 4106898 10.30 to 7.30 PM weekdays only @syncview @SER_GTR
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

2.OD is a rugged car. It came with stronger suspensions than a normal Xli/GLI. If you maintain it properly it's engine can last upto 4 lac kms easily provided its correctly timed and maintenance done according to user manual. Becomes PITA if poorly maintained.

I have couple of 9th generation diesel Corollas owned by family members and they all are happy. On a recent trip from southern punjab to Islamabad, 2007 2.OD SE delivered 20km/l with normal foot and that car has around 37xxxx kms on odo. Car is totally 3s maintained.
    The 2010 2.OD saloon SR is giving blow after clocking 4 lac kms on odo with rough use(used a lot on construction sites and dusty environment).
    My suggestion is to find a neat and clean 2.OD preferably with service history. You wont regret your decision.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

go for it.. once you buy a 2.oD you ll forget petrol cars as its more comfortable than its petrol variants due to better suspention. don't worry about maintenance its easy to maintain a 2.oD engine.
    "10% of conflicts is due to difference of opinion and 90% is due to wrong tone of voice"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The response is quite encouraging. I guess, I am going for it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar @SER_GTR @Sk_KingpiN @capsat @syncview

How to check diesel engine's health? I have seen a corolla 2008, it is in reasonable condition body wise.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by zia1288 View Post
    @Xulfiqar @SER_GTR @Sk_KingpiN @capsat @syncview

How to check diesel engine's health? I have seen a corolla 2008, it is in reasonable condition body wise.
    If it is 100k + driven ask owner for what method was used for tappet adjustment use a paper over oil cap to check blowback

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

whats the odo meter reading ? how many owners before this owner is selling the car.

people use 'Great Deception Tools' in case of diesel engines, so if there is some maintenance history available its easy. compression test, injector pump condition & blow by

To perform a compression test on a diesel engine, you need to have a diesel compression gauge and a glow plug or injector adapter. Remove all the glow plugs to check any cylinder. Crank the engine at least five revolutions and the same number of revolutions for each cylinder. It would probably be a good idea to have a battery charger hooked up during the test. You will need to check 2C engine manual to determine the minimum compression values that are acceptable...but if any cylinder is 10% lower than the others it is a good indication that this engine is probably due for some major work soon.

Doing a leak down test, particularly in conjunction with a compression test will give you a great deal of additional information and allows problems to be pinpointed. The condition of the engine is determined by measuring the degree to which a cylinder with valves closed leaks air. In simplified terms, if air is pumped into the cylinder at 100 PSI and the gauge reads 97 PSI, then the leak down percentage is 3%. Doing a leak down test is a fairly simple matter.

A cylinder leakage test is done with the engine at normal temperature, not running, and the piston at Top Dead Center on the compression stroke. During this test, compressed air is pumped into the cylinder, and a cylinder leakage gauge gives a reading of air leaking out of the cylinder in percent. Listen for escaping air at the oil fill cap, the exhaust pipe, the intake manifold, and the cooling system, [for safety , let the system cool first]. This helps pinpoint the problem area. Total cylinder leakage should be no more than 25 percent; leakage from the cylinder head and valves should not exceed 10 percent; leakage from pistons and piston rings should not exceed 20 percent.

- thats' the best i can share -
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Toyota Corolla 2.0D is good and solid car. If maintained properly can easily last half a million kms.
    Your ego is writing cheques, your body can't cash.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List