0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Exclamation Auto transmission problem - Lancer 93

i have an 93' lancer with auto tranny. There is a whirling sound that is very much audible when the car is running, the sound increases when i press the accelerator down and that sounds continue to increase till the gear shifts. There is a lag in shifting (sometimes very pronounced at times) and the car over all feels sluggish.

Showed i it to my mechanic and he says it's either i) the convertor or ii) the gearset. Says if it's the converter then it's a considerably cheaper fix and he will need to change it/repair it. in case it's the gearset then consider the gearbox gone and we will have to replace it.

Can anyone help in guiding me to towards a known/reputable workshop in karachi where i can get the gearbox repaired/changed or even a second opinion.

Thanks

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

instead of setting fire to "bad ************" that was owned by Sam jackson in pulp fiction, first do a fluid and filter change, your car should be having an electronic control transmission, the shift points are decided by the TCU which takes input from, the speedo pulse and the throttle position sensor on the carburettor.

The TC on these trans can go out, but that is usually due to overheated transmission, btw what is the operating temperature of your engine? and when was the last time you changed the fluid?
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

actually this one does not have an electronic control system, it's a cable system which is connected to the throttle cable. (or i could be missing what you mean by TCU) the reason i am saying it's a cable system is because i had the cable repaired about 6 months ago when it broke and i was stuck in 2nd gear. (engine is 4g13 carb btw)
    got the fluid changed too about 6 months ago and i just checked the fluid level today which was fine although the color was not the perfect shade. The operating temp seems okay, the temp needle goes to about 40-50% of the way like it has done for years. although the engine is perhaps at 90% at best.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

can you read the transmission serial code from the ID plate on the car and also on the trans itself, (its on top of the transmission bellhousing)

Does the car accelerate rapidly or does it tend to slip.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the car has, for the lack of a better word, periods... there are times (getting rarer though) when everything is perfect including fuel consumption but increasingly there is a lag when i try to accelerate...press the accelerator, lag, the car accelerates. sometimes it takes ages to rev up from the second gear. (revs up pretty nice when the gears are not engaged though, sounds better too)

says F3A21 on the ID plate, couldn't locate it on the transmission though nor in the owner's manual. It's a 3 speed though

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

F3A21 is a 3 speed auto that is electronically controlled by the TCU, the TCU is fit ahead of the centre console under the dashboard.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

noise usually means that the oil is being restricted to pump, your transmission has a damper control system to absorb shift shocks and fine tune the drive which can malfunction because of this. The whole system depends on correct adjustment and working of both pulse generators on the transmission, the coolant temp sensor on the engine, correct TPS adjustment and correct idle speed (because the TCU also reads engine rpm)

When you changed out the fluid - did you clean/replace the filter?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

even the mechanic was surprised when he discovered that it wasn't electronically controlled by a sensor which i am assuming to the TCU said this model came with a "sensor"... this is indeed strange, maybe i'm reading the model number wrong, will check in the morning and let you know. the car is a hand me down with years of abuse with so it's pretty much possible somebody changed the tranny before i got my hands on the car...
    the filter wasn't changed
    so what do you think, problem caused by the fluid or something wrong with the tranny itself?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

for the wiring bit, look at the tail of the transmission you will find two connectors, one with 2 branches - its the pulse generator, one going into the tail which is actually the kickdown servo, the damper solenoid is inside the valve body and a wire leads to it.

The cable you speak of is to relay pedal pressure to tune shift shock too.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i'll take a look at it in the evening. It drove decently today except for that noise. it's a bad *** ************...

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List