Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Mitsubishi Lancer 2006 (Imported) on CNG

Hi Guy's:

I have recently bought Mitsubishi Lancer 2006 model. The car is Automatic with CVT gear. I have converted my car on CNG but somebody told me that CNG fuel on CVT gearbox ruined the gearbox as well as the engine.

Can Someone have knowledge about it. IF it does then how and why? If does'nt..... IS someone experienced Japana assembled Lancer (Made for Japan) on CNG fuel for various years and what are the outcomes. Pl if give your phone details along comments as I wanted to discuss the experience.

Thank You and Regards

Shafiq-Islamabad

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by srparacha View Post
    Hi Guy's:

I have recently bought Mitsubishi Lancer 2006 model. The car is Automatic with CVT gear. I have converted my car on CNG but somebody told me that CNG fuel on CVT gearbox ruined the gearbox as well as the engine.

Can Someone have knowledge about it. IF it does then how and why? If does'nt..... IS someone experienced Japana assembled Lancer (Made for Japan) on CNG fuel for various years and what are the outcomes. Pl if give your phone details along comments as I wanted to discuss the experience.

Thank You and Regards

Shafiq-Islamabad
    CNG is not recommended on CVT .. in short the forces required to shift gear are produced at low RPMs (on CNG) which heats it up and damages ... I have a lancer manual 2007 1.6 with factory fitted CNG and giving excellent mileage and pick .. for further details call 03335109707
    "You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have a Lancer imported wagon 2007 (AT) on petrol 1500cc.
    It gives me 12 km/ltr in the city and I just came back from a road trip from Khi to Isb & back. It gave me 16.5 km/ltr.

cfb
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Shafiq, any engine is capable of being run on CNG including any forms of transmissions as long as someone knows what they are doing. I was looking to buy a Lancer myself a little while ago. I have an acquaintance who imports Lancers only and he gets CNG installed for customers. As far as I know, no one has complained regarding CNG and a blown up transmission. If you don't experience a sizable lag in pressing the accelerator and finding power at the wheels, your installation is working fine enough.

@ Naveed
    With all due respect Naveed, CVTs do not have any gears. There are typically two conical pulleys that are shifted through hydraulics in order to vary the length of the transmission belt. When someone installs a CNG kit on a CVT, they fail to account for engine tuning differences. Gasoline has a higher calorific value compared to CNG. Essentially a CVT on CNG would experience large kick in delays which means lower acceleration. If your CNG installation guy is competent enough, he will install a lembda to deal with the delays and will tune your system accordingly.

Moreover, "forces required to shift gear" are not necessarily produced on low RPMs. I could demonstrate shifting "gears" in any automatic transmission above 3,000 RPM all the way to 6,500 RPM.
    As for heating up automatic transmissions, frequent shifting tends to wear out the bronze discs that act as clutches in automatic transmissions. When you hear someone tell you, CNG blew up my transmission, it typically means that sensors were improperly integrated (at times even bypassed by shorting) and a tuning was not performed. These issues mean that your ECU is increasing flow rates (both air and fuel) in order to come to the required torque and RPM levels in order to perform shifts but as soon as the shift is performed, the engine underpowers and moves in for a lower transmission ratio. The frequent shifting tends to heat up the transmission oil which is typically synthetic. As soon as the oil wears down, you have organic acid and carbon residue formation which act as abrasives for the bronze discs. If you happen to pull out an automatic transmission that "burned up" you'll find soot practically sintered into the bronze discs. Once the discs wear down, there is no solution except for replacing the entire transmission since no one in this country seems to repair them.
    CFB

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ CFB: Thanks for the detailed explaination. I am faced with a similar dilemma, I'm looking to buy a '07 Axio, but I'm being scared off it because of the possible CNG issues. CVTi Transmission and all. But I think I should be good if I go for one of those new kits that come with their own ECU like the Landi Renzo Omnigas. What say you?

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Improving performance on CNG/LPG Vehicles

Characteristics of CNG: -
    It has Octane number of 120, auto-ignition temperature of 540 Celsius.

Characteristics of Petrol or Gasoline: -
    It has Octane number from 80 - 100, Auto-ignition temperature of 360 Celsius.

Using factory fitted ignition system on your Vehicle including spark plugs and Petrol or Gasoline as a fuel will give you good performance.

If you want to run your Vehicle on CNG, and same standard factory fitted ignition system, it will end up with incomplete combustion due to lack of heat energy produce by the ignition system of the Vehicle.

Try to modify ignition system of the Vehicle from standard factory fitted to Performance ignition system with higher ignition coil ratio than standard ones.

Or try to add Individual Ignition coilMitsubishi Lancer 2006 Imported on CNG -1080895Mitsubishi Lancer 2006 Imported on CNG -1080896 for each spark plug (but this will be expensive).

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have Mitsubishi Lancer 2006 AT imported, which is 1500cc and It's transmission is not CVT, please check again about its transmission. though I am driving it on petrol but I have not heard that its not good on CNG..

cfb
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jani3386 View Post
    @ CFB: Thanks for the detailed explaination. I am faced with a similar dilemma, I'm looking to buy a '07 Axio, but I'm being scared off it because of the possible CNG issues. CVTi Transmission and all. But I think I should be good if I go for one of those new kits that come with their own ECU like the Landi Renzo Omnigas. What say you?

Sorry for the highly delayed reply. Just been offline for sometime. If you do buy a '07 Axio, you will not require a CNG installation. I've recently bought a Belta and an Axio (both late '07) and the fuel consumption is amazing. The harder you drive, the more you burn on these systems. You could install a Landi Renzo with ease if you do want CNG but paying something around 70k for such an installation is offset by running these JDMs on gasoline. Trust me, there is no need for CNG on these vehicles but if you really want it, it could be done.
    CFB

cfb
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mansoormhd View Post
    I have Mitsubishi Lancer 2006 AT imported, which is 1500cc and It's transmission is not CVT, please check again about its transmission. though I am driving it on petrol but I have not heard that its not good on CNG..
    @mansoormhd
    The Lancer imports are all CVTs although they are primitive versions of the technology. Toyota has ventured deep into the CVT realm while Honda and Mitsubishi are still lagging far behind. The transmission on your Lancer is a primitive CVT developed by Mitsubishi towards the end of the nineties but is still being used as such. You might experience slight jerks during driving, if you notice closely, since the hydraulics in these transmissions are largely similar to the old Super 4 ECTs offered by Toyota. The fact that the transmission lever is arranged in a linear fashion is not indicative of the transmission being a regular automatic or a CVT.
    Any vehicle can run on CNG so as long as the bore and stroke are proportional and the engine revolves at most around 6,000 rpm or so. I've seen a tonne of people running the 1.5 Lancers on CNG in Lahore although the gasoline fuel consumption is fine enough, but then everyone has their own ideas with regards to fuel consumption.
    CFB

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Cvt transmission isn't for Cng, is just another myth. I've been using my ek3 (cvt transmission) on cng for the last two and half years. Till now, I've not faced any problem. Just don't floor the pedal unnecessarily.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List