Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Mitsubishi Galant GDI 2.4l

Experts

The car in question is a galant GDI 2.4, my new purchase!
    Took it for a long drive on motorway. It was a great run apart from a issue on which i need help.
    You can push the car to any limit and it revs flawlessly, however, when it is brought back to 100-110 Km/hr, one can feel jerks. The rpm needle remains stable but it appears that the engine is missing.
    My call is a choked fuel filter or clogged fuel injectors! Want the experts to share their views!
    Thanks in advance

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Excellent thread and as usual, loads of new information from Xulfiqar

what's the update OP? Has the lifter sound disappeared?
    Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Sound from tappets

Unfortunately no!The noise is still there and now i am on a search for the rockers (all 16 of them)!My mechanic says that if are not able to get them, we can try to reload a new spring in there to function!Would that be practical Xulfiqar Bhai? Apparently seems dodgy to me!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

DO not try to overhaul them, get a new set or at minimum get a set from a used engine.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

XulfiqarI have been looking for a set of new ones but no luck so far!does 4g63 have similar rockers as 4g64?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Xulfiqar

For an update, was able to find the lashers / rockers and the sound has vanished.
    Have moved to fully synthetic ZIC 5W40 which is best in their league for both gasoline and light duty diesel engines.

Now, your expertise are requested on the below narrated two issues!

1. There is a strong petrol smell at times and not always. It is so strong that you cannot stand next to the car and at times it completely vanishes. Have tried a couple of MAP sensors for that but result has not been up to my expectations. Please guide me the way forward!
    2. The idling of the car seems rough at times. It remains stable at cold start for an hour and on warming up and travelling a few miles, it starts dropping (goes down to 500K and then stables itself at 750K). However, with the gear engaged, it drops to 550K and there the car starts shaking. I presume that it has something to do with the TP sensor as ocassionally the RPM goes up while driving but that is very rare! Pertinent to add that the TB has been cleaned and the guy at Mitsubishi Momentum did disturb the TPS. Prior to that RPM was stable at 800K. I have tried two different mechanics for setting that up again but in vain! Need your expertise here tooo!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Xulfiqar Bhai

Apologies upfront if i have done something wrong here otherwise i do get a response from you within a couple of hours. Anxiously waiting for your response!
    One more thing to respond is: have changed the gear oil to XP-III. Is it fine?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

xulfiqar bhai

reply solicited please!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hamz80 View Post
    Xulfiqar

For an update, was able to find the lashers / rockers and the sound has vanished.
    Have moved to fully synthetic ZIC 5W40 which is best in their league for both gasoline and light duty diesel engines.

Now, your expertise are requested on the below narrated two issues!

1. There is a strong petrol smell at times and not always. It is so strong that you cannot stand next to the car and at times it completely vanishes. Have tried a couple of MAP sensors for that but result has not been up to my expectations. Please guide me the way forward!
    2. The idling of the car seems rough at times. It remains stable at cold start for an hour and on warming up and travelling a few miles, it starts dropping (goes down to 500K and then stables itself at 750K). However, with the gear engaged, it drops to 550K and there the car starts shaking. I presume that it has something to do with the TP sensor as ocassionally the RPM goes up while driving but that is very rare! Pertinent to add that the TB has been cleaned and the guy at Mitsubishi Momentum did disturb the TPS. Prior to that RPM was stable at 800K. I have tried two different mechanics for setting that up again but in vain! Need your expertise here tooo!
    This engine misfire is a classic symptom of the GDI being a "PITA" part. The piston tops are carbonising and preventing closed loop lean burn running. The resultant is that you get raw fuel dumped in the exhaust and get the smell too. Pretty soon you will experience the car completely stall out when suddenly pressing the throttle.

There is nothing wrong with the TPS or the MAF or even the high pressure fuel pump on the head. If something was wrong you would get the CEL immediately. btw - you should also source a new O2 sensor for this engine - the wiring comes from under the car remove centre console left cover to see the flat 4 pin connector for it. Your ECU reads it a lot when the engine is warmed up. But first you need to resolve that misfire.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks Xulfiqar Bhai for the response!
    I would like to add that the engine has been rebuilt, altogether new with parts sourced from within and outside the country. I know you would suggest that i should have opted for a engine swap altogether but honestly did not find anything upto the mark. One 4g63 was there but the guy pissed me up by saying that no guarantee whatsoever.
    Since its all new, I really dont think that the piston top carbonising will be there!
    Taking that out of the equation, i think next is to source that O2 sensor for this engine. Again this would be a big hunt.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hamz80 View Post
    Thanks Xulfiqar Bhai for the response!
    I would like to add that the engine has been rebuilt, altogether new with parts sourced from within and outside the country. I know you would suggest that i should have opted for a engine swap altogether but honestly did not find anything upto the mark. One 4g63 was there but the guy pissed me up by saying that no guarantee whatsoever.
    Since its all new, I really dont think that the piston top carbonising will be there!
    Taking that out of the equation, i think next is to source that O2 sensor for this engine. Again this would be a big hunt.
    with a standard engine which follows regular build principles it would have been easier for you to troubleshoot, At this point in time you need to get some hard data on the engine first, namely fuel pressure reading to the injectors, lambda feedback, fuel injector spray - they can also carbon up and fail as they literally sit in the combustion chamber.

A good choice would have been a 6A12, 6A13 or a 4G63 SOHC NA.. No more headaches forever.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

One thing that might help u out is to de-coke the engine.. dont know if u've already done that,
    but if not, and the engine has done quite a few miles, then it could really do with a de-coke job.
    Its fairly easy, u can buy an aerosol can that u spray thru intake, u'll see a huge amount of smoke coming out of exhaust and job done.
    Engine, almost as good as new.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^ The only thing short of walnut blasting that can actually help in decoking is either use GM or chrysler top engine cleaner, its poured and allowed to sit overnight in the engine from the plug ports - there is another product called kreen, it also can decoke the piston tops. But all these products are very toxic and are only recommended to be used by people with experience.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Xulfiqar Bhai!
    Help appreciated but as i said, the engine has been rebuilt. Definitely the piston tops are not carbonized as of now. The stalling, hesitation to start after driving a few miles, abnormal RPM behaviour and smell seems like classic symptoms of CPS failure. This is primarily based on the information i gathered while discussion. Your opinion would mark my head way in this context.

The car starts good in the morning but after driving it a few miles, if you try to start it, it hesitates! Secondly as specified, RPM drops to 300-400K while coming to a stop and seems like the car is going to die but you feel a push in RPM just to get it going!
    Thanking in anticipation!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

a failing crank position sensor in this engine would immediately set the check engine light, and a failed one will shut it off. What you are describing is classic symptom of GDI misfire and drop of rpm - the idle motor tries to compensate but the combustion pressure is not enough to raise rpm back to normal.

It would be ideal to test the system on a live stream - check all data and compare to factory values. You might need to get the injectors cleaned - they are mounted from the back of the head directly into the combustion chamber. the high pressure common rail is above them and its pressure pipes come to the high pressure pump on the side of the head.

The problem is that they operate at 1800 psi. I dont think any test lab in Pakistan can clean those injectors, diesel ones are easier because diesel fuel is thicker. These have extremely fine tolerances.

Your best bet and cheapest also is to buy a can of liqui moly intake valve cleaner, mix it with some petrol and feed the engine from the PCV port, this solution will hopefully remove the carbon deposits on the piston tops and also injector faces to some extent.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

xulfiqar bro could u empty ur in box i need to aask u some thing

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guys im not a technical wizard. Could someone tell me if the liana 1.6 axi japanese assembled have similiar issues as the gdi galant engine. Does the liana engine have any issues that are out of the ordinary and can cause future pain?

ive been into simple carb engines and this will be my first efi purchase.

regards
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. "If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List