Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Engine oil for Lancer 1990

I bought mitsubishi Lancer 1990 model.
    I know its kinda old car, but as I've driven Mehran before, hence now I feel pretty luxury with it. lol.

I checked the engine oil with dip stick and its pretty much thick and burnt black color. Though there is no smoke from silencer, but I guess its time to change it now.
    Experts plz suggest the best engine oil for it.

Shukria.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hello there.
    From the previous posts, I found two liqui moly products.

One is "Engine Flush"
    Other one is "Ceratec".

For older cars (like I have), its good to use engine flush first. And after that use ceratec liquid.

Engine flush will remove all oil related impurities. And Ceratec will coat a thin film of chemical inside the engine which is good for 100K and this will also keep pushing back the incoming impurities.

Will it be good to use above chemicals instead of pouring disel engine oil ?

Advise of experts would be v. helpful.
    Be Addicted To Help Others.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Would suggest caution in using Engine Flush as it actually does flush out every loose particle in the engine/head. Use half a bottle only if u must (150ml max).

Ceratec is a great product, and I recommend it if u can afford it (minimum PKR 2600 for a bottle).

Use the Engine Flush as prescribed on its bottle, pour in the Ceratec, and add your choice of engine oil.

Do note that most quality oils will already have detergents and other 'cleaning' elements added during production, and will clean the engine as it works/lubricates.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tintin1 View Post
    Hello there.
    From the previous posts, I found two liqui moly products.

One is "Engine Flush"
    Other one is "Ceratec".

For older cars (like I have), its good to use engine flush first. And after that use ceratec liquid.

Engine flush will remove all oil related impurities. And Ceratec will coat a thin film of chemical inside the engine which is good for 100K and this will also keep pushing back the incoming impurities.

Will it be good to use above chemicals instead of pouring disel engine oil ?

Advise of experts would be v. helpful.
    Liquimoly engine flush is best among all the brands available.i personally used it twice in my two cars. And also ceratec is very good as it almost reduces engine running noise upto 50% and more smoother drive...

Both products are highly recomended.actually LIQUI MOLY's all products are very good.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by argus View Post
    Would suggest caution in using Engine Flush as it actually does flush out every loose particle in the engine/head. Use half a bottle only if u must (150ml max).

Ceratec is a great product, and I recommend it if u can afford it (minimum PKR 2600 for a bottle).

Use the Engine Flush as prescribed on its bottle, pour in the Ceratec, and add your choice of engine oil.

Do note that most quality oils will already have detergents and other 'cleaning' elements added during production, and will clean the engine as it works/lubricates.
    Very Thank you sir for the advice.
    Yes you are right that quality oils already have chemicals that do the cleaning itself. But mine was is old car and using sn grade oils can be bit risky.
    My car engine requires SL grade oils while mostly the engine cleaning chemicals are coming in SN grade oils. I think so.

By the way, I've noticed my average after consuming the full tank and it becomes 11.7 km/l within city on ZIC Hiflow.
    But I will check the average again specially after using engine flush and ceratec and I believe it will go above 12km/l for sure.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Welcome.

I didn't recommend SN spec oil!

Use the flush as prescribed; you will probably only need half a bottle, and you don't even need Ceratec if you are going with the MOS2 option.

Liqui Moly MOS2 is best for older vehicles too; a friend using in his 1990 Mitsubishi Galant, and satisfied with it.

Read this LIQUI MOLY - Motor Oils, Additives, Car Care - Products - MoS2 Leichtlauf 10W-40

Also see attachment.

Engine oil for Lancer 1990 -1509640

Very Thank you sir for the advice.
    Yes you are right that quality oils already have chemicals that do the cleaning itself. But mine was is old car and using sn grade oils can be bit risky.
    My car engine requires SL grade oils while mostly the engine cleaning chemicals are coming in SN grade oils. I think so.

By the way, I've noticed my average after consuming the full tank and it becomes 11.7 km/l within city on ZIC Hiflow.
    But I will check the average again specially after using engine flush and ceratec and I believe it will go above 12km/l for sure.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    this engine would have the roller tappet rockers. you can use later spec oils in it and make sure the engine gets hot - thermostat valve in place and fan running in automatic mode. Also make sure the PCV valve is working otherwise the oil will become tar.

the oil cleans itself as it gets hot.
    @Xulfiqar

Sir, I've asked nearly to 8 different mechanics about the PCV valve but none of them is familiar with its English name. They said if this PCV Valve has some "Desi Name" then its possible to locate it.

I've already posted the pictures of my car engine, can you plz pin point its location? So that I can tell mechanic to check its operating condition.
    Thank you.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Engine oil for Lancer 1990 -1528701

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar

Sir can you plz inform which PCV valve is in the pictures you are referring to?
    I 've encircled two places and put two errors. One in left (the black arrow) and one in right (the White arrow).
    Plz inform which is correct one.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

PCV is the 'one way valve' that goes from tappet cover to the intake. Look for any pipe going from tappet cover to the round metal air filter box. There will be a one way valve in the start or middle of or end of the pipe. (Try taking a picture of a PCV from the Internet to show the mechanic.

Oil use 10W-40 or 10W-30. It's good enough for pakistan conditions.

Be careful when using engine flush especially in old engines. it does remove sludge but if the sludge is covering crank / cam seals and other areas then you may get oil leaks plus more engine noise after the flush. Best way with old engines is to change oils on time or a little earlier.

Dirty engine oil means your oil has detergent properties and is cleaning your engine while running so you don't really need flush. If oil is clean then there are no detergent type chemicals in the oil and all the gunk is left inside the engine.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ngen View Post
    PCV is the 'one way valve' that goes from tappet cover to the intake. Look for any pipe going from tappet cover to the round metal air filter box. There will be a one way valve in the start or middle of or end of the pipe. (Try taking a picture of a PCV from the Internet to show the mechanic.

Oil use 10W-40 or 10W-30. It's good enough for pakistan conditions.

Be careful when using engine flush especially in old engines. it does remove sludge but if the sludge is covering crank / cam seals and other areas then you may get oil leaks plus more engine noise after the flush. Best way with old engines is to change oils on time or a little earlier.

Dirty engine oil means your oil has detergent properties and is cleaning your engine while running so you don't really need flush. If oil is clean then there are no detergent type chemicals in the oil and all the gunk is left inside the engine.

Hope this helps.
    sir thank you.
    i found two pipes going from tappet cover. I already highlighted (encircled & arrowed) in the above picture.
    Does it mean that my car has 2 PCV valves?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

One of the pipes may have the one way valve.. Valve Looks similar to the pic I attached. If both pipes have it then you may have two. Normally found on EFI engines. Carb engines just have a simple pipe with no valve (like the Y shaped pipe in mehran tappet cover)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by almynoon View Post
    I feel u r my type of guy who loves his ride. Bro dont compromise timing by 20-30k km. Replace ASAP.
    Sir, i already replaced all 4 belts of it. Timing, Fan, AC & Power belt.
    Driving after 1 week, i went to see mechanic again and asked him to tight all these belts again and he did.
    But now everytime i start my car, it sound "screeming" for a minute and after that it goes off.
    Xulfiqar bhai says never apply anything to the belts (like greese, oil, etc.) because these belts adjust itself with the pullys.
    But now this belt screeching/screeming voice is slightly increasing its duration. Mechanic said all the belts are fully tight. And its also sure that i bought the expensive belts. so how to get rid of this screeming/screeching voice on every start up? any tip?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sir, i already replaced all 4 belts of it. Timing, Fan, AC & Power belt.
    Driving after 1 week, i went to see mechanic again and asked him to tight all these belts again and he did.
    But now everytime i start my car, it sound "screeming" for a minute and after that it goes off.
    Xulfiqar bhai says never apply anything to the belts (like greese, oil, etc.) because these belts adjust itself with the pullys.
    But now this belt screeching/screeming voice is slightly increasing its duration. Mechanic said all the belts are fully tight. And its also sure that i bought the expensive belts. so how to get rid of this screeming/screeching voice on every start up? any tip?
    remove and reinstall the belts, my mitsubishi min pajero has same problem after changing belts and despite tightening only st start up for few seconds there was sound but in my case it didn't increase in duration. reinstalling and tightniing to correct torque according to specs did the trick
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arzaam.bhatti View Post
    remove and reinstall the belts, my mitsubishi min pajero has same problem after changing belts and despite tightening only st start up for few seconds there was sound but in my case it didn't increase in duration. reinstalling and tightniing to correct torque according to specs did the trick
    thank you. i will have it done by this week.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dont grease or lube any belt. If mechanic say the belts are fully thight then just replace the old belt which makes noice. The belt has extended due to heat and replace with 1# shorter belt. Later you can adjust to last extend.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

User Tag List