Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Bike Tour Karachi - Kashmir, a futile attempt.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Bike Tour Karachi - Kashmir, a futile attempt.

I had just come back on August 31st from an exceptional and a Memorable Bike Tour from Karachi to Naran and onward to Gilgit (Astor).

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/roa...n-back-karachi

I was thinking of posting my experience and wondered how to begin writing on PW. And as soon as I would open pakwheels page I would somehow begin to read other threads instead. I was suddenly inspired by a thread where a group went to Neelum Valley and Ratti Gali Lake around the time when I was taking my tour of Naran & Gilgit. So I never got to begin writing my experience and instead began wondering how I could do a similar journey on my bike.

I enjoyed that thread so much that I simply could not wait to do a similar trip elsewhere and was searching for any opportunity to get at least 10 days of holidays in order to plan a trip to the North.

Now this group had two or three jeeps and a whole lot of people. It was a group that did tours of that area I think. I am searching for that thread now and as soon as I find it I will ad the link so you know what got me going.

They had pics of the valley and their journey that got me so hyped that I began to see where they went through and had another window of Google Maps open to see the direction, distance and names of towns and villages they went through.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    What I Call Adventure .... Some May Call Insanity

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

zabrdast...
    Full detail wao
    If you never do, You'll never know.
    frnds-group.blogspot.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Early Breakfast

Had an early breakfast and was ready to leave by 5:30 am but was advised to leave after 6 am just after the sun came out for security reasons. There was incidents of muggings in that area in the dark so I decided to wait till 6 am and then drove off.

I walked around to take some pics of the place as well as fill up on petrol.

I then got on the bike and drove off after 6 am.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Before Leaving Uch Sharif

Following are Pics of Uch Sharif Charpai Hotel before I left

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Uch to Jalalpur

From Uch I drove towards Jalalpur Pirwala which was approximately 37 Kms through winding roads and small towns and villages. There was a bypass before entering Jalalpur so I did not really enter Jalalpur and instead, bypassed it.

After clearing Jalalpur Bypass it was a straight drive of 39 kms to Shujaabad. Instead of bypassing Shujaabad I had to drive through it in order to get onto the highway to Multan which was the 'Old Shujaabad Road'. Again, I didn't really enter Multan but bypassed it at Nag Shah and drove around Multan to rejoin the N5 for a while until I reached Kabirwala.

At Kabirwala I branched off the N5 and head towards Jhang.

I stopped for fuel in Jhang and then carried on to Chiniot.

On the road to Jhang and then to Chiniot I passed many small villages and tiny rivers along the side of the road as well as small bridges going over tiny rivers in that region.

The following pics are of the fuel stop in Jhang and then small villages where I stopped for pics along the road side where a river ran and on the other side local residents are visible in taking a bath under a water hand pump while others just dipping in the river for a fresh bath in the heat.

It was really interesting to see such wonderful village life all around but I also had to be discreet in taking pics of the locals as it may not have been very acceptable there.

It was also rather crowded with lots of traffic and rash driving due to the upcoming Eid festival and as a result I refrained from stopping often to take pics and only stopped at very safe areas where my parked bike would not be obstructive to oncoming traffic along the road.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Bakra Mandi Traffic Jam

I am not sure exactly which town this was but I think it may have been Bhawana, which was approximately 38 kms before reaching Chiniot.

There was a massive traffic jam as I got closer and closer to town. It came to a point I had no other alternative but to stop since there were small trucks coming with loads of goats and cows in the back.

I took the following pics while stopped in this town on the side of the road.

As soon as the traffic lightened up from those little trucks with goats and cows, I drove on.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Bike Problems

I had noticed that a few times where I had stopped, the bike would not start with the auto start and I had to kick to start it.

The problem was, I had never had to kick start the bike since I purchased it and now it was getting difficult with all that luggage and me having to jump on top of the bike and literally put all my weight on it to push down. It took almost three to four tries sometimes to start the bike though on occasion it would start with the self start as well.

I was not sure what the problem was, perhaps a loose wire somewhere or a weak battery.

I was hoping to have it checked out upon arrival in Islamabad, but also felt the need to have this problem solved now if I could find a mechanic shop somewhere.

I stopped under a tree to cool down under the shade near a small bridge which passed over a small kanal supplying water to local villages and fields.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Oil Change in Chiniot

Upon reaching Chiniot I first asked around for a bike electrician because the self start was giving me trouble and to kick start the bike was HELL to say the least.

I found a shop after asking around, and they were busy doing electric work on Chin Chin rikshaws. Some were getting stereos installed while others with fancy horns and lights. I had to wait a while before they asked me for the key to the bike and pushed it into their small garage.

I told them about the problem and the owner first came out with some meter and hooked the wires to different parts of the bike along with the battery to test its voltage. He took some time and kept testing it for a while and finally told me that the battery is being charged but the battery itself is week due to the fact I have HID lights which suck up the power from the battery.

He gave me two options;

1) Have the battery charged which will take roughly two hours or more

2) Purchase a New Battery

I decided that although it would be cheaper to just have the battery recharged but the fact that I still had a long drive ahead as I was going to Kashmir, it was a better idea to just purchase a new battery altogether.

The shop owner agreed and said that it was their lunch time now so they will begin work on it in a half hour or so. They asked me to join them but I decided to settle for a cup of chai which they ordered for me. Their lunch lasted almost 45 minutes and then the little boy at that shop was sent to purchase a new battery for me. When he returned the owner of the shop again tested that battery with his tester to see if it was good and running and full of charge. When he was satisfied he then began to change the battery and then tested the self start a few times.

I then asked where I could get a fresh oil change. The man said I could go down the street and there is a mechanic shop where they sell oil as well as do the oil change, but if I had the oil with me they could do it right there. And I responded that I do have the oil, I had kept an extra liter of oil with me for this oil change.

So they did the oil change for me. During the oil change I guess a regular customer came in with a generator which was giving him a hard time and they had to look at it and he looked at my luggage and asked where I had come from and where I was heading to. When I told him he did not believe that I had driven from Karachi and kept insisting I had taken the train and only got off the train somewhere close by.

By this time the shop owner and I had already discussed my trip, my map and list of destinations and cities along my route which I had printed and pasted on my bike fuel tank in front. So he just got up and helped himself to that map and showed the man my route, distances and plan of where I had to be by nightfall.

It was interesting to see that someone other than me was trying to explain my entire travel plan and where I had come from and where I was going to and so on. Actually, it was difficult talking to that guy with the generator because he spoke a very deep Punjabi accent which I was unfamiliar with but was able to speak with the shop owner because he spoke Urdu with me.

After the oil change was completed I paid the shop owner and after a total of 2.5 hour stop in Chiniot I continued on with my journey.

The Self Start worked perfectly after that.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

keep posting !!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sulaiman75 View Post
    I decided that although it would be cheaper to just have the battery recharged but the fact that I still had a long drive ahead as I was going to Kashmir, it was a better idea to just purchase a new battery altogether.
    good call sir

enjoying the thread and wondering what might have resulted in "futile attempt"

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Running Behind Schedule

Due to the unexpected 2.5 Hour Stop in Chiniot to fix the self starter issue it had cost me precious time and it soon began to dawn on me that I was falling far behind my travel time schedule which I had initially planned for my arrival in Islamabad.

I then decided to reduce any further delays in stops and with a full load of fuel from Chiniot I began a fast pace drive.

As I went through small towns and villages as well as the unprecedented traffic on the road, I realized I would not be able to keep a steady pace and was falling behind even further and further. As a result, I was not able to take any further footage of my trip until Islamabad.

Much of the traffic occupying the roads in those areas were bikes with 3 passengers that were driving ever so slow; the three passengers consisted of a driver in the front, one passenger at the very rear, and then the third passenger in the middle which was a Goat. Naturally, they could not keep up a good speed and as a result I too had to slow down.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by gull_s_777 View Post
    good call sir

enjoying the thread and wondering what might have resulted in "futile attempt"

Oh the "Futile Attempt" has yet to come. Keep reading my friend, keep reading....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Crunch Time !

It was now getting late in the day, the darkness hadn't set in yet but evening was on its way and I was thinking that these are small roads connecting through villages and until I touch N5 (GT Road) to Pindi I may not be able to ask for directions very much longer as people in the villages empty the streets rather early.

From Chiniot I went directly towards Pindi Bhattian, from where I aimed towards Jalalpur Bhattian, and then to Rasul Nagar because those were the towns I had planned my route on through Google Maps prior to leaving Karachi. They were the most direct and straight route to get me to N5 Highway in the shortest possible time.

As I approached Pindi Battian, instead of heading to Jalalpur Bhattian, I instead was put on a bypass which took me towards Hafizabad. By the time I figured that out I had traveled a good half hour and so I pulled over and quickly viewed the road map I had stashed in my backpack. I came to a realization that I was not too far off route and could still make my original route by going through Hafizabad and aiming for Alipur Chatta which would place me at Rasul Nagar and onward to Wazirabad which would be on the N5.

A second option that appeared was that instead of heading North from Hafizabad to Wazirabad I could head East from Hafizabad towards Gujranwala which would also put me on the N5 earlier. But when I did the math, it was taking me in a different direction since my aim was North West and not to head East to Gujranwala.

Upon reaching Hafizabad I was faced with total traffic jam. And I mean not even a pedestrian could walk through this traffic. It was totally stopped. Bikes and Chin Chins were face to face in all directions, front tires of bikes and cars were hurdled amongst one another and it seemed as there was no way out. I got off my bike right in the middle of the road where all traffic was jammed up, turned off the bike and tried to squeeze myself in between cars and bikes to walk up to the two traffic police officers standing only 15 feet in front of me trying hopelessly to navigate traffic which simply was in no way going to move in any direction.

I told them my situation that I had come from Chiniot and was heading to Islamabad, what do I do and where do I go? One of them said to stay on this road ..... ROAD???? You mean Parking Lot !!! And a half hour ahead there will be a sign leading me towards Gujranwala. The other officer disagreed and said the same dilemma exists further ahead with traffic so I will not be able to reach Gujranwala. Its best I turn around and go back a few yards and then turn right onto another street which will get me around this town and then put me on a road straight towards Alipur Bhattian.

What got me kind of worried was the response I heard from the first officer;

"Is waqt late nai ho gya os taraf se jana?" And the second officer responded, "han he to lekin agar ap sham se pehle pehle par kar lo to sahi ha".

I now asked what do they mean sham se pehlay. They both tried to speak at the same time, but what they said was there are muggings that take place in the dark in these regions. They said its still another 45 minutes to maghrib and this area will take you at least a half hour to clear in order to get to the other side so just drive fast. I said how do I get out of this mess?

One of them walked back to the bike with me and helped move the vehicles around me so that I was able to turn my bike around, got me to the side of the road near the shops and guided me through traffic and bikes that were facing me as now I was going on the wrong side of the road heading into traffic. But soon I cleared this section and turned right onto a smaller road which had a bit of traffic but was moving.

I pulled over where I saw a clearing. Opened my back pack while the entire community was sitting in shops like small street cafe's with charpais everywhere watching me closely. I quickly pulled out my jacket for the night drive, as well as changed my helmet visor and put on the clear visor for the night drive. I had to unscrew the dark visor off the helmet and screw the other clear one on so I had to be careful not to drop the screws on the dirt below.

As I was done, I took a quick small bottle of water down and mounted my bike to burn some rubber.

I drove as fast as I could as safely as I could until it began to get darker and darker. More and more mosquitoes kept hitting my visor, and they were BIG. The cars coming towards me would have their high beams blaring and it was tough to see but I knew if they were coming from that direction then the road is straight and no need to worry about it turning until I pass them. What began to worry me now was when the other cars came towards me I was not able to see any bumps or holes in the road as it was already bumpy but I simply could not let down my speed.

It was a thin road connecting between villages.

Then by shear luck, a white Mitsubishi Van passed me by from behind and was traveling rather fast blowing dust in my face. I took this opportunity to chase it since he clearly knew his ways in this area.

It was dark now and that van drove left and right going around the road as it turned and I followed at a very good speed keeping a safe distance for sudden stops.

This went on for quite some time, as we drove madly through those villages. I was hoping he didn't stop, or that he didn't live in these areas as I would just end up chasing him into his village.

But luckily, he kept going as we passed little rivers on our one side and then passing over the river to the other side until we came to a town called Ali Nagar, which was a few minutes from the N5 at Wazirabad.

I finally stopped at a petrol pump and fueled up. Took in some water and cleaned my helmet visor from all the dead mosquitoes and dirt and then mounted the bike and got to the N5.

Not sure what time it was but it was pitch dark for the past 2 hours as I drove through some rough villages but relieved to be on N5 (GT Road) which was very smooth, well lit and a pleasure to drive on.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So an adventure once again..........again u ve captured all the attention

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default GT Road Beautifully Lit ....

As I have never been on this part of road since I have always taken the Motorway when I drove to Islamabad, I had no idea whether what I saw was simply Eid decorations or if that was a normal routine of the lights all around that were so brilliant and so beautiful.

I passed Gujrat, and kept moving past Kharian and Jhelum. I did not stop and just kept going at a relatively high speed with full safety in mind.

Soon the road began to go steep down in a valley and then up on a hill and again down a valley, my hands began to freeze and my body began shivering. Although I had a jacket on it was simply a windbreaker and not a heavy jacket. I was freezing but had to keep moving so I just controlled myself as best I could and kept driving.

I soon realized I needed urgently to stop and have a Hot cup of Tea but I was traveling so fast that each time I passed a chai shop it would be too much of a headache trying to turn around and driving back so I kept going and looking as I drove at speeds of around 80 and even 90 at times. Naturally, the faster I drove the colder I got.

I soon saw a distance marker for a town called Gujar Khan. I have a friend who's family is from Gujar Khan and many times he asked me to stop by his home and stay there the night but as I was already pressed for time during this entire trip I had no plans of slowing down for the night and looking for his home. What I did decide was to stop at a tea shop near there and at least say "I had stopped in Gujar Khan for Tea".

I finally reached Gujar Khan and cleared it and just after clearing it I saw a nice large hotel on the side of the dark highway where I finally could not control myself and stopped.

I went in asking for hot tea. When they brought the tea I first wrapped my palms around the hot cup and then started drinking.

By the time I finished drinking my tea, my inner body temperature was still cold. Drinking another cup would not make a difference and I had to just get up and go since Islamabad was not too far ahead.

As I drove further I went through yet another few dips and climbs in the road where the temperature was unbelievably cold. I somehow managed to make it to Islamabad where the temperature was a bit more manageable. It was exactly 11 pm by the time I reached my cousin's home.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Two Days before Eid

It had taken me two long days to reach Islamabad from Karachi.

I left at 4 am on Sat morning and reached Islamabad at 11 pm on Sunday night. I had to first shower and freshen up and then had a nice hot dinner. We sat and talked for a bit but seeing that I had just come from a long journey they encouraged me to sleep.

On Monday it was a late morning but we soon went out to meet with other relatives and Monday as well as Tuesday was spent in this manner.

Tuesday night I had to get all my gear together for the trip ahead to Kashmir. My cousin gave me warm clothes, jacket, waterproof long cut boots, gloves, as well as a small cooking stove with two propane tanks along with a tiny cooking pan and paper cups. I was packing for camping but only to make Tea, not food as food is available everywhere I suppose. I already brought my own two man tent from Karachi so I needed now just a sleeping bag from my cousin.

When all was loaded and set aside for the morning trip I looked at a fresh map of my travel plan and distances I had planned on covering. My objective on Eid day was to some how reach Athmuqam by nightfall.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Two Days before Eid

It had taken me two long days to reach Islamabad from Karachi.

I left at 4 am on Sat morning and reached Islamabad at 11 pm on Sunday night. I had to first shower and freshen up and then had a nice hot dinner. We sat and talked for a bit but seeing that I had just come from a long journey they encouraged me to sleep.

On Monday it was a late morning but we soon went out to meet with other relatives and Monday as well as Tuesday was spent in this manner.

Tuesday night I had to get all my gear together for the trip ahead to Kashmir. My cousin gave me warm clothes, jacket, waterproof long cut boots, gloves, as well as a small cooking stove with two propane tanks along with a tiny cooking pan and paper cups. I was packing for camping but only to make Tea, not food as food is available everywhere I suppose. I already brought my own two man tent from Karachi so I needed now just a sleeping bag from my cousin.

When all was loaded and set aside for the morning trip I looked at a fresh map of my travel plan and distances I had planned on covering. My objective on Eid day was to some how reach Athmuqam by nightfall.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Eid Day

We woke up early for Eid Namaz, and prayed a distance from our home.

It was rather surprising to see that Islamabad had literally emptied, it was almost like a ghost town where no one could be seen on the day of Eid. We would cross a car on the opposite side once every few minutes but had this been Karachi or any other big city there would be goats and cows and people at every street corner.

After Namaz we went to the air force base where their cow and goats were being slaughtered. After we confirmed the slaughter we took the liver and went on home. I kept asking to get a cup of tea and head off on the road but somehow I was kept being delayed for nashta.

Soon a wonderful breakfast was served with fried Kaleji (liver) amongst other delicacies. Although I wanted to eat light for the road I ended up chowing down and having a full meal.

Eventually, I was able to get my cousin to let me get on my bike and head off.

We took some pics just in front of the house. It was around noon time by then. There were plenty of neighbours on the street and kids playing. Very lively at that time.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My Uncle and I just outside their home

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

sir jee! ek tu ap ne hm logo ko complex me mubtala kar dia ha esey tours kar k or 2nd ye k ap is dfa bht tarsa rhey hen apki episodes indian dramas ki tra ho gai hen.bht thori doze dey rhey hen

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Neighbors on the street having fun. I am trying to clear the Balloons of my bike.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

User Tag List