Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Bike Tour Karachi - Kashmir, a futile attempt.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Bike Tour Karachi - Kashmir, a futile attempt.

I had just come back on August 31st from an exceptional and a Memorable Bike Tour from Karachi to Naran and onward to Gilgit (Astor).

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/roa...n-back-karachi

I was thinking of posting my experience and wondered how to begin writing on PW. And as soon as I would open pakwheels page I would somehow begin to read other threads instead. I was suddenly inspired by a thread where a group went to Neelum Valley and Ratti Gali Lake around the time when I was taking my tour of Naran & Gilgit. So I never got to begin writing my experience and instead began wondering how I could do a similar journey on my bike.

I enjoyed that thread so much that I simply could not wait to do a similar trip elsewhere and was searching for any opportunity to get at least 10 days of holidays in order to plan a trip to the North.

Now this group had two or three jeeps and a whole lot of people. It was a group that did tours of that area I think. I am searching for that thread now and as soon as I find it I will ad the link so you know what got me going.

They had pics of the valley and their journey that got me so hyped that I began to see where they went through and had another window of Google Maps open to see the direction, distance and names of towns and villages they went through.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    What I Call Adventure .... Some May Call Insanity

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Struggling to Reach Murree

On the way back to Murree I found it more and more difficult to carry on and the thought that crossed my mind at that moment was I cannot go on any further due to such severe pain.

The question was, how will I reach Islamabad?

Will I be able to find a bus or a small truck which will be able to carry my bike to Islamabad?

I could call my relatives and they can come and get me but what about the bike? None of them knows how to ride a bike, how will it reach home?

These thoughts gave me no other solution at that moment so I kept pressing on. I did stop a few times to catch my breath since every time I went over rough roads I would hold my breath and stiffen my body to prevent my foot from shaking, it worked only a few times, but not always.

I had to pee a few times along the way and didn't know how to dismount my bike and how to walk to the edge of the cliff in an area where I would be away from traffic yet be in a safe location so I could come back to my bike.

I eventually decided to park on level ground, keep the bike running in case of a shut down and the auto start malfunctioned. I waited for the one or two cars/bikes that would pass by and then do my business and then make it to the bike where I had wet wipes for sanitation as well as tissue before mounting my bike. It was a painful ordeal to say the least.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sulaiman75 View Post
    Having looked at the road ahead along with considering all these conditions given the level of Pain I was in now is when I decided "IT IS FUTILE TO GO FURTHER", and the only decision left is for me to turn around and head back to Islamabad.
    You took a wise decision Sir.
    I can't imagine how it would have felt turning around at that point.
    As all the trip to Muzaffarabad is just travelling and real fun starts from there.
    Inshallah next time

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default In Total Darkness - Still Trying to Reach Murree

I don't know what time it was but it was now totally dark in the mountains and valley and I had my HID headlight on FULL, except the odd time when I had traffic come in front of me I would reduce it and then turn it to full once the car/bike passed.

It was becoming more and more obvious it was impossible to carry on.

I had to now stop to pull out my jacket from the back pack which I had been avoiding hoping I would not have to put my foot on the ground. But eventually the air became so cold I had no choice but make another pee stop as well as pull out the jacket.

I had noticed a distance marker a few mins back which said "Murree 16 KMS" or was it 18 kms, I don't remember but knew it was another half hour or more to Murree.

But by then I simply could not go on without calling someone. I called my cousin and he was in his car delivering Qurbani meet to relatives. I asked who was with him and he said he was alone. I then told him what had happened and that I am now heading back.

He immediately told me to just stop, have a good look around and tell him what I see so he can just come and get me from that location. He has lived in this region for a long time and knew practically each corner of this place so he said to just give him some idea of the landmark. I told him its pitch dark and I cannot tell him where I am except that I am about 15 to 16 kms to Murree.

I said that rather than him come and get me let me try my best to reach Murree and then we will decide on what to do. I asked him not to tell anyone else at home what had happened since this will cancel all their evening plans for Eid parties and dinners in order to come and get me. He agreed and said he would wait for my call as soon as I reached Murree.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I cleared Muzaffarabad and was heading even further until I reached a road which was partially constructed but still not paved.

The pic below shows that road. When I saw this road ahead not only did the fear of a very painful ride cross my mind but many another thoughts that were even more concerning were the following:

1) What if my condition worsens during my night stay, who will help me in an isolated location where I want to set up camp?

2) What if my bike drops some how, how will I be able to pick it up?

3) What if I come to a hilly area with uneven track where I have to put the load on my right foot? How will I deal with that?

The next one was the most serious that I thought I needed to now reconsider my entire situation;

4) How in the world will I start the bike in the event my Auto Start does not work since it is my right foot which is injured and it is also the right foot I will need to use for kick starting the bike.

Having looked at the road ahead along with considering all these conditions given the level of Pain I was in now is when I decided "IT IS FUTILE TO GO FURTHER", and the only decision left is for me to turn around and head back to Islamabad.
    You made the right choice.....

I wonder why did you not go to a hospital for some first aid...you were in Muree and there are some good hospitals there..
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by gull_s_777 View Post
    You took a wise decision Sir.
    I can't imagine how it would have felt turning around at that point.
    As all the trip to Muzaffarabad is just travelling and real fun starts from there.
    Inshallah next time
    Haan yar, Trip Adhura reh gya tha. I mean my entire journey was with the intention of Neelum Valley and Ratti Gali Lake. I mean I was so close to reaching there. All the while thinking what possibly could I have missed in that turn that landed me on the ground. I could not imagine that I had made the second trip all the way from Karachi without incident, specially during Eid Holidays with such hectic traffic and experienced different driving etiquette in each city yet I had to fall where there was NO Traffic, No Speed, and really no road hazzard.

This troubles me till today. In any case, I kept thinking that this was a Blessing from Allah (SWT) in protecting me from something worst. So although I was in Pain I was thanking Allah (SWT) all the way back.

Ye Trip to In sha Allah me ne pura karna he ha sooner or later.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hsumbal1 View Post
    You made the right choice.....

I wonder why did you not go to a hospital for some first aid...you were in Muree and there are some good hospitals there..
    My thought was, where am I going to find a hospital? Will they have X-Ray facility? What then? At any hospital or clinic I will be out of my boots which will NEVER get back on my foot so what will I do?

This is the only reason I kept going thinking whats done is done, now just get to the safety of home and let the relatives take care of me but at the same time I didn't want to inconvenience them by distracting them from their Eid celebrations or events so I wanted to get as close to Islamabad as possible otherwise there would a lot of people heading up the mountain to Murree to come and get me and ruin their entire evening.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Reaching Murree

After a brutal pee stop and making a call to my cousin I struggled to get on my bike once again and decided that in the event I have to make any further stops it will have to be where there is someone around in the event the bike drops or I drop, at least I will have help.

I drove up towards Murree and was in constant and agonizing pain. As soon as I think I reached Murree the first sight I saw was a big sign board saying "Murree Islamabad Motorway".

I saw no reason to stop now and wanted to keep driving as I knew now its a smooth road and only a downhill drive. I realized my cousin would be waiting for my call but I wanted to get as close to Islamabad as possible without having to trouble him to drive all the way up here to come and get me.

I drove as fast as I could leaning my bike to the side as low as I could around sharp turns using the momentum of the bike along with the contoured road.

I came to two leveled areas where I took a stop for a 2 minute rest. I decided still not to call my cousin and to reach as far down as possible.

After a bit more pain and struggle I was about to give up finally and suddenly I saw a sign for Chattar (I think) followed by a Petrol pump sign in a distance. I kept going to the pump and noticed flashing lights of a white traffic police corolla.

I knew I had come down the mountain and Islamabad was hardly another 10-15 kms and this Petrol Pump everyone knew about since it was the only one I found all the way down the motorway.

This is where I decided to finally stop and ask my cousin to come and get me. I did not dismount the bike in fear of the severe pain and just called up my cousin. The time was around 7: 30 pm then.

He did not answer the phone, I called a second time and again he did not answer. Now I thought I told him not to tell anyone so I can't call anyone else to find out where he is or tell anyone else the same story. So I waited another minute and called a third time. No Answer.

I was in so much pain I simply could not wait any longer and send him a text as to where I was, and that I am now heading home and it should take me no more than a half hour, if I am not there by 8 pm then just come and get me since its a straight road to their home.

After sending this message I just kept on driving towards home.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Reaching Islamabad

As I entered the street at their home all I saw was their cars outside their gate on the street, I thought they had guests so they parked their own cars on the road. Then I saw from a distance that their Gate was also wide open.

As I came closer I noticed that the driveway inside the gate was empty, there were no cars there but their cars were outside on the road. Their house front door was wide open and as soon as I went inside the gate, they noticed the bright Headlight of my Bike and the bike engine sound and one by one they all came outside before I had even stopped the bike or turned off the engine.

As soon as I turned off the engine I had my cousins around me, my uncle standing in front and all I could say was get me off the bike.

They carried me into the house and in the bedroom and sat me down. I got a drink of water and my uncle said if we cant take off the boot we will cut it off. I said no, let me try to take it off. We struggled with the laces and then my cousin and I very patiently and carefully slid the boot off my foot which was already swollen.

They asked if I had eaten since breakfast, and my answer was NO. So they first brought me light food to eat and then my uncle who was a retired Grp Capt from the Air Force took me to the Air Force base for medical treatment. He scolded me for not informing him earlier since they have the Air Force base in Murree and Kala Bagh, and no matter where I was they would have sent some rescue team to come get me for immediate medical treatment.

I gave him the reason about the bike and all the security clearances I may have had to go through and he still insisted I should have called him.

We finally reached the Air Force Base and went right to the emergency section of the hospital. I was greeted by a man with a wheelchair who was to take me up the winding walkway to the entry of the emergency ward since it was above ground and I would have had to otherwise take the stairs.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default At the Hospital

There weren't all that many people at the Hospital at that time, at least not in the Emergency Ward so I received treatment very quickly.

I was taken into the Doctor's room, it was a Lady Doctor and she quickly assessed that it was a serious injury but did not understand how I drove from Muzaffarabad to Islamabad on that foot.

She immediately instructed the staff to give me pain relief injection and then send me in for an X-Ray.

The result of the X-Rays came back pretty quick, she said there is no fracture as per the X-Rays but she would still want the Surgeon to view the X-Rays who would be coming later at night. For the moment she prescribed pain meds and ointment along with a bandage to wrap around my ankle.

She said if the Surgeon feels it necessary for me to return to the hospital for further evaluation or treatment I will have to come in tomorrow, otherwise I need complete bed rest for one month, maybe longer.

I said WHAT ???????

I was sent home with the bandage and my foot (ankle) was so massive it would not fit into any slipper so I had a plastic bag wrapped around in order to prevent the bandage from getting dirty on the way home.

I realized I had pain killers along with a sedative which made me drowsy by the time we reached home. I wanted to have dinner before I slept and by 10: 30 pm I was already in bed.

When I woke up at 8 am I noticed I had missed calls from other cousins late at night, some at 11: 30 while others at even 1: 00 am.

As they were finding out about my ordeal one from the other they were calling.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Second Day of Eid Spent Resting

It was now the second day of Eid, my cousin from Pindi called at around 10: 30 am and said he would be coming over at noon time to pick me up and take me to his home for treatment.

I said I was comfortable here but he insisted that he wanted me to be treated at CMH as he was an Army man and for some reason they feel their medical treatment is better than the Air Force.

I insisted I needed to rest so let me just sleep it off today and we can go to CMH the following day. I was hoping we didn't but he was certainly very concerned.

Just after noon time he visited me along with other relatives. It was a pleasant day meeting relatives but at the same time painful as I moved around, or my foot turned on the bed. I became extremely painful even with a slight change of position.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 3rd Day of Eid - Friday , CMH - Pindi

It was now the third day of Eid. My cousin on this day picked me up and took me to CMH for a follow up.

Again they went through the same X-Rays and concluded there was no fracture, only tendons and ligaments had been ruptured.

But during the examination they sensed the level of pain I was experiencing so the doctor suggested they would put a cast on my foot just to give it support and prevent it from moving around which was causing me such pain.

He decided to use a partial cast, it was more a support than anything else. It was a cast behind, below and on the side of my leg and foot. It was open from the front of leg and top of foot but he wrapped it around well to hold the cast in place.

I noticed while I waited for the cast to harden in the hospital bed that I was already feeling comfortable knowing the foot would not move with my movement.

We came home and in the evening the plan was to now have a BBQ just between family and cousins.

So they marinated the meat and we planned for a small BBQ.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My Cousin Zeshan Setting Up The BBQ ... Lighting the Coela

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Meat on BBQ Grill

Zeshan Placing Meat on the Grill

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Still waiting for food while cousins were Tangoing with a relative overseas.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It was now the third day of Eid. My cousin on this day picked me up and took me to CMH for a follow up.

Again they went through the same X-Rays and concluded there was no fracture, only tendons and ligaments had been ruptured.

But during the examination they sensed the level of pain I was experiencing so the doctor suggested they would put a cast on my foot just to give it support and prevent it from moving around which was causing me such pain.

He decided to use a partial cast, it was more a support than anything else. It was a cast behind, below and on the side of my leg and foot. It was open from the front of leg and top of foot but he wrapped it around well to hold the cast in place.

I noticed while I waited for the cast to harden in the hospital bed that I was already feeling comfortable knowing the foot would not move with my movement.

We came home and in the evening the plan was to now have a BBQ just between family and cousins.

So they marinated the meat and we planned for a small BBQ.

My cousin's wife also had an arm fracture a few weeks earlier from accidentally falling at home.
    "There are only two types of riders: those who have fallen, and those who will." Keep on ridin'!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Chicken is Almost Done ... Ready To EAT ...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I patiently waited for THE END before starting page by page. Great write up & nice captures.

sorry for your accident & half accomplished journey there is always a 2nd chance., Hope you are doing good & recovered from the injury very well.
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post
    I patiently waited for THE END before starting page by page. Great write up & nice captures.

sorry for your accident & half accomplished journey there is always a 2nd chance., Hope you are doing good & recovered from the injury very well.
    Thanks for your concern, Yes I have recovered but still have periodical pain in the ankle when I walk. It will take time.

But the journey is not over yet, my story still has my trip back to Karachi which I will add tomorrow inshallah

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VCheng View Post
    "There are only two types of riders: those who have fallen, and those who will." Keep on ridin'!
    Oh I am ridin alright. But I have to say, I just loved your comment about two types of riders.

I thought that was so hilarious but true.

Thanks for commenting.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Great courage man. You have a unbelievable stemina.
    But one thing is not good... You dont have to show urs family specially ladies. Its a public forum, u better know odds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

User Tag List