Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Bike Tour Karachi - Kashmir, a futile attempt.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Bike Tour Karachi - Kashmir, a futile attempt.

I had just come back on August 31st from an exceptional and a Memorable Bike Tour from Karachi to Naran and onward to Gilgit (Astor).

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/roa...n-back-karachi

I was thinking of posting my experience and wondered how to begin writing on PW. And as soon as I would open pakwheels page I would somehow begin to read other threads instead. I was suddenly inspired by a thread where a group went to Neelum Valley and Ratti Gali Lake around the time when I was taking my tour of Naran & Gilgit. So I never got to begin writing my experience and instead began wondering how I could do a similar journey on my bike.

I enjoyed that thread so much that I simply could not wait to do a similar trip elsewhere and was searching for any opportunity to get at least 10 days of holidays in order to plan a trip to the North.

Now this group had two or three jeeps and a whole lot of people. It was a group that did tours of that area I think. I am searching for that thread now and as soon as I find it I will ad the link so you know what got me going.

They had pics of the valley and their journey that got me so hyped that I began to see where they went through and had another window of Google Maps open to see the direction, distance and names of towns and villages they went through.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    What I Call Adventure .... Some May Call Insanity

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Wrappedup View Post
    Great courage man. You have a unbelievable stemina.
    But one thing is not good... You dont have to show urs family specially ladies. Its a public forum, u better know odds.
    Agreed and Removed.

Thanks for the heads up.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Returning to Karachi

We had been trying to book seats on various airlines for my trip back to Karachi since on Monday (Oct 21st) I had to be back at the office.

Once we realized there were no seats available over the weekend, the only option left was to leave on Mon Morning.

I had to cancel some appointments on Monday morning and afternoon.

We spent the weekend just chit chatting and relaxing.

On Monday morning it was my trip back to Karachi which was an entirely new experience for me since I now had a cast on my leg.

How would I climb the stairs at the airport? Islamabad does not have a connecting system where the plane is directly connected to the plane as in Karachi, in Islamabad you have to be driven to the plane on a shuttle and then you have to go up the stairs to board the plane.

I was told to just go to the Shaheen Airline booth on the main veranda of the airport and they would handle everything for me.

I had a cane I needed to walk with so when my uncle dropped me in front of the veranda he said he would just park the car and bring my luggage while I should walk over to the Shaheen Airline booth just in front of me.

The problem was there were hundreds and hundreds of people and the line ups leading to the entry doors in the veranda were long. I had a cane and as I began walking the crowd just moved out of my way and made room for me to walk through. As soon as I reached the Shaheen booth the service rep asked if I needed a wheel chair, and I said yes. Within 2 minutes a person came by with the wheelchair and my uncle had also arrived by then with my luggage.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Boarding The Plane in Islamabad

The Airline attendant walked me past all the long lines of passengers, I was rushed through the security checks and my boarding card was issued without me even getting off my wheelchair.

I was then taken onto the runway and in front of me was the large Shuttle Bus which was loading passengers to drive them to the plane. I was wondering how would I get on this bus since it was a bit off the ground. But the attendant pointed me to the truck that was parked to my left and was reversing.

It was a loader and the back loading platform opened up and came to the ground which I was rolled on to. Then it lifted to the level of the truck and I was wheeled inside the truck and the doors were shut behind me.

There were a few small windows through which I could see the outside.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Driving to the Plane

The Truck drove on the runway towards the plane and it came to a stop just in front of the front door of the plane which was shut.

It was the opposite side of the plane where the front door was open for passengers to load. I was to load from this side.

This time the truck cabin I was in began to rise and soon it was leveled with the front door of the plane. There was a platform which I believe was above where the Truck Driver sat. That platform was lined up with the cabin of the truck where I sat.

They drove me onto that platform and then the door of the plane began to open.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Went into the Plane

As they wheeled me up to the plane door I took the last few pics since it was not appropriate for me to be taking pics upon entering the plane.

I then put away my camera and was wheeled into the plane.

The Flight Attendant told me she would handle my carry on bag and all I had to do was to get off of the wheelchair and sit in the second seat in the isle. It was only two steps for me from the wheelchair.

Until that time I had no idea which seat I was issued because it was the wheelchair attendant that got my boarding pass as I simply sat in my wheelchair when he went to get my boarding pass.

It was a very comfortable and pleasant flight to Karachi, the staff on flight took care of me well and kept asking from time to time if I was comfortable and whether I needed anything.

Next to me the seat in the middle was empty, but the third seat at the window was occupied by a foreigner in some airline uniform. We began a conversation and it turns out he was a flight engineer with Shaheen Airline on a one month contract. He was from Indonesia and they were sending their flight officers to serve with different airlines in different countries in order to assimilate into the working styles of various airlines as a flight attendant.

He said he was flying to Karachi for the moment and does not know where he will be sent from Karachi after a few days stop over there.

Upon landing I asked the stewardess if I will have to order the wheelchair and she responded that it will already be waiting for me as soon as the plane docks with the terminal.

So I waited for all of the passengers to first get off the plane after which a person with a wheelchair came into the plane right in front of me and helped me take two steps before sitting into the wheelchair.

The wheelchair person walked me through the entire process of collecting luggage and took me to the parking where my relative had been waiting with his car to receive me.

This was the best passenger service I had ever seen and so I asked the wheelchair attendant when tipping him whether he worked for the airport or the airline. He said he worked for Shaheen Air and this was the wheelchair service for Shaheen as other airlines have their own service.

I was very impressed and thankful to the person for such a wonderful service overall.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Pampered in Karachi

While in Karachi I was pampered like anything and taken good care of by relatives.

As my foot could not fit into any shoe or slipper and older set of slippers were modified by a Mochi so that it was widened to fit my cast as well as an elastic back was put on to prevent my foot from slipping out of the slipper.

It wasn't pretty site ( the slipper ) but it served the purpose and I used it for a good two weeks while I had the cast.

I would be driving back and forth to work. I found it was not hard breaking since all I had to do was put my foot on the break peddle and push down, but the accelerator was difficult. I had to use my toes to accelerate with since my foot/ankle would not bend to push down on the peddle.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The End to my Journey ---- My Ugly Slipper and Leg

Following are the pics of my Foot with Cast around it and Modified Ugly Slippers I used for a good two weeks.

Now I am fine but still have a bit of tightness and pain from time to time in my ankle on the outside when I walk.

It will take time to heal I think but never had I imagined such a recovery the day I fell since in the back of my mind was this hope that it might somehow go away and I would be heeled by morning to enjoy my ongoing journey of Neelum Valley.

I called this a Futile Attempt though I survived because I was so geared up to making this trip complete.

I still have hopes of completing this trip, perhaps next year and many more to come In Sha Allah.

I hope you enjoyed this journey and would also share your own personal travel experience with all of us on PW.

*** I will however, share with you my very first journey of the North in Pakistan 3 years back in August of 2010. It was a camping trip which I accidentally fell into without planning. I have some pics of that experience, my very first Pakistani Adventure where we went to Ferry Meadows from Islamabad and ended up getting caught in the 2010 Floods on the way down the mountain. We had to be rescued by air in Gilgit since most bridges leading back to Abottabad from Chillas were washed away so we could not return and the only way to go was in the opposite direction to Gilgit.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sir how did this actually happened to your leg?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bravomanpk View Post
    Sir how did this actually happened to your leg?
    I have written in great detail of how I was passing Murree on my bike, and how my bike slipped over a small wet patch with fungus. As a result the bike fell on top of my ankle and my tendons and ligaments were torn. Its all mentioned in my thread in the beginning.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    29 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Another thread come to an end.. Excellent written. I'm sorry about the injury happened to you, but, "Girtay hain shahsawar maidaan-e-jung main". Hope you can do it again sometime soon. Hope to see you around
    Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity... ~ John Muir

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xoofi View Post
    Another thread come to an end.. Excellent written. I'm sorry about the injury happened to you, but, "Girtay hain shahsawar maidaan-e-jung main". Hope you can do it again sometime soon. Hope to see you around
    Well I am planning on a road trip to Islamabad some time this month for about a week or so to attend a wedding there. I may venture to Murree or further for a day drive.

Not sure if I plan to stop for too many pics this time due to cold weather and time restrictions as I am the only driver and daylight is short so I have to do the most amount of driving during the day as possible which means less stops.

If anything exciting happens along the way or if I end up taking enough pics in order to write a thread I will certainly do so.

Sulaiman

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well done sir @Sulaiman75 apne tu subko pechay chordia nice trip woh bhi bike per .
    May Allah heal your leg and better your health we hope you start journey again on bike ...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Wah Ustaad jee... Wah
    Pakistan Aik Ishq Aik Junoon

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Sulaiman75 well now i am planning a trip for kashmir but not yet. IN SHA ALLAH bext year . Till than may be i get my 150 or with this Yamaha Junoon 2009 model. Which is good enough but for that typical route . Hmmm anyways yamaha is a common bike . All spares will be available on the way beside this 100 of jugards available in market. Right now i am 24 year old doing studies and job to . May be next year i get chance. But thanks A lot for this safar nama .. it is inspiring. And one thing may be you laugh at me. I was reading this blog last night and then i leave it incomplete because of night shift. And when i came back in morning i didn't think to sleep i am just reading it now just 2 pages remaining.. i am that much involved that i am picturzing every moment in my mind . But serioslh feeling sad for that accident. May be a better tire can save that slip incident but . Bravo man. Well i myself had 3 or 4 accident but i never looked at me after accident but always check my bike properly if my sweety got any scratches.. 😅😅 i love my bike. My Yamaha junoon attached the recent pic.
    It is Easy to hate But Love is More Powerful...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

That servis 90/90 cruiser tyre is not a good choice for northern areas.
    If going for bigger tyre, try finding something in dual sport type.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by gull_s_777 View Post
    That servis 90/90 cruiser tyre is not a good choice for northern areas.
    If going for bigger tyre, try finding something in dual sport type.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk
    Gull bhai can i do same trip with my junoon or i need to upgrade the bike?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rizwan4340 View Post
    Gull bhai can i do same trip with my junoon or i need to upgrade the bike?
    if engine is healthy then should be no problem with solo rider.
    I have done Neelum Valley tour on Junoon.
    But if going with a pillion, then 125/150 is recommended.

Bike Tour Karachi  Kashmir a futile attempt -1491672

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rizwan4340 View Post
    @Sulaiman75 well now i am planning a trip for kashmir but not yet. IN SHA ALLAH bext year . Till than may be i get my 150 or with this Yamaha Junoon 2009 model. Which is good enough but for that typical route . Hmmm anyways yamaha is a common bike . All spares will be available on the way beside this 100 of jugards available in market. Right now i am 24 year old doing studies and job to . May be next year i get chance. But thanks A lot for this safar nama .. it is inspiring. And one thing may be you laugh at me. I was reading this blog last night and then i leave it incomplete because of night shift. And when i came back in morning i didn't think to sleep i am just reading it now just 2 pages remaining.. i am that much involved that i am picturzing every moment in my mind . But serioslh feeling sad for that accident. May be a better tire can save that slip incident but . Bravo man. Well i myself had 3 or 4 accident but i never looked at me after accident but always check my bike properly if my sweety got any scratches..  i love my bike. My Yamaha junoon attached the recent pic.
    I have to be honest, I have no knowledge of bikes and which is best for northern areas.

I just happened to buy a GS 150 and did my tour on that although I found 99% of the bikes in those areas were 125.

I think with the right planning, light luggage and single rider your bike should be fine. If you take the very basic parts required which will not take up too much space its best to have them even if they are readily available in those areas. Its just that in the event you break a cable or clutch or break handle then you can change those immediately without looking for a shop which may be 25 kms away and getting there even 25 kms is a challenge in some cases.

So its best to be self sufficient and where there are shops for parts and repairs use their parts and save your own parts for any future incidents along the way.

In all honesty, if the trek looks too difficult to climb just avoid it and don't take the risk.

Enjoy your journey regardless of which bike you take and as per my advice, do not do the trip alone. Get another biker to accompany you whether its a friend or another Pak Wheeler.

Sulaiman

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sulaiman75 View Post
    I have to be honest, I have no knowledge of bikes and which is best for northern areas.

I just happened to buy a GS 150 and did my tour on that although I found 99% of the bikes in those areas were 125.

I think with the right planning, light luggage and single rider your bike should be fine. If you take the very basic parts required which will not take up too much space its best to have them even if they are readily available in those areas. Its just that in the event you break a cable or clutch or break handle then you can change those immediately without looking for a shop which may be 25 kms away and getting there even 25 kms is a challenge in some cases.

So its best to be self sufficient and where there are shops for parts and repairs use their parts and save your own parts for any future incidents along the way.

In all honesty, if the trek looks too difficult to climb just avoid it and don't take the risk.

Enjoy your journey regardless of which bike you take and as per my advice, do not do the trip alone. Get another biker to accompany you whether its a friend or another Pak Wheeler.

Sulaiman
    Shukran Sulaiman sb. IN SHA ALLAH i will plan a tour next year. This year i can't manage a gap of 10-14 working days. But i love to travel by bike.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Great Travelogue . Your Posts and Description helped me out a lot in travelling to the north just a couple of weeks ago.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

User Tag List