0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Cool There (Naran) and back again.... A Biker's Tale

So it begins, one of the best travel journeys I ever had.
    Lets start with Important information regarding the trip.
    Destination: Naran
    Conveyance: Suzuki GS-150 motor bike
    Days: 8
    Bikers: 4 (till Naran), 1 (Kalabagh-Nathia gali and back)
    Cost: 16,000 Rs approxmately
    Travel Experience: Conventional means (Too many!), MotorBike (NEVER, NADA, ZERO)
    Weather: Perfect!!!

There Naran and back again A Bikers Tale -1609472

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I initially thought of starting this travelogue like so many others on PakWheels and share my experience like them as so many others had but after writing a draft of the log, I decided not to. The main reason was probably there are tons of threads under Motorcycle Travel Diaries aboout travels which contains a very well written and amazing travelogue by @Sulaiman75 https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/mot...n-back-Karachi

There Naran and back again A Bikers Tale -1609475

that actually inspired and cemented my decision to take this journey (initially alone) among other senior PW members. A lot of guys from Karachi have been posting pics regularly of their trips in and around Sindh and even including people doing such trips with their family on motorbikes.

There Naran and back again A Bikers Tale -1609474

In utter humbleness I did not even consider Mr Moin Khan?s amazing trip and a Pakistani guy travelling from Germany on his bicycle (cant recall the post, will post later).
    Finally I decided to share rather most important points that are required in such a journey or why and how I achieved my goal for this adventure (in its own right).
    I hope readers on PW shall benefit from this thread and enjoy it as well  .

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

you went with Asif Raza Sahab and Amir Jawed?
    people need to grow up sometimes and act MATURE !

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jadoon1992_vxlimited View Post
    you went with Asif Raza Sahab and Amir Jawed?
    Damn!!!! 😆😆don't tell me you guessed just by looking at the bikes?

Sent from my iPad using PW Forums

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by zedsharif View Post
    Damn!!!! don't tell me you guessed just by looking at the bikes?

Sent from my iPad using PW Forums
    Asif Sahab wala safe guard dekh k guess kia kiun k wo Karachi se he gya tha . and Amir bhai wali bike from the disk setup
    people need to grow up sometimes and act MATURE !

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The first 2 important points of a check list to start any journey are

1. Destination
    2. Vehicle or Ride

Both of these check list items go hand in hand as both complement each other eventually. I had been to the North of Pakistan many times. Be it Naran or Muree, Shogran or Mahodhand Lake, Bhurban or Kashmir. All the times we travelled with my dad on our car. To Muree and Mahodhand I had been with friends and that too on vans and local transports. I had recently bought my GS-150 for commuting to office but we all know GS-150 that GS fans love its retro looks and it?s amazing touring capabilities. Hahahah, man the moment you buy it, you start itching to take it for a long ride :p . I had previously owned Sprinter Eco but that was 7 years ago and had never been outside Lahore on a bike. Though I did travel to Millat Tractors daily for work then but still, that?s not a tour.

So, I decided let?s just take some days off from work and just go where my nose will lead me, SOLO. When I discussed the idea with some of my friends and cousins, everyone was against it. ?bike par akelay? Or woh bhi Naraan??. I made up excuses probably cause I needed some time for my self and what better way to do than travelling on a bike!! To the North!!!.

Anyways, ultimately I consulted an old friend of mine who was running a travelling gig as his passion whenever he could and he travels a lot. Even he in NO WAY allowed me to do it alone. First, cause I never ridden my bike outside Lahore. Secondly, had no such experience of maintaining my own bike and if I had any sort of trouble, I would be stuck. Man my odometer this time around was just 1800 km! I had to accept his reasoning. So He asked around and found out that a few of his travel companions were also planning to do a bike tour and my friend, Mr. Hamza, was drafting a viable tour for them. (You can follow my friend on Facebook . https://www.facebook.com/TravelandTours.Pakistan )
    They were glad that I would join them.

So, it was decided that I would travel with them till Naran. They will travel further on towards touching China Border and I would return to Islamabad via a different route for my return journey. Why till Naran? They believed a novice biker like me can easily get help if my motor bike breaks down for any reason.

Destination? Check!

I believe in my own right that GS-150 is made for touring, especially to the North. Sure people go on 125 and 70s, but the sheer power that GS-150 provides while climbing, is second to none. I had my luggage with me and even then I got an average of 40 km/liter for my journey. The only problem I found, was my inexperiance, cause its a heavier bike than others which, when driving at almost 100 km/hr and still wanting to go more with luggage, is pure pleasure.

Ride? GS-150 CHECK!

Name:  ImageUploadedByPW Forums1440700970.373924.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  149.6 KB

Run Shadofax, show us the meaning of Haste!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default There (Naran) and back again.... A Biker's Tale

3. Lights
    The front lights are no doubt very important for such a long trip for a number of reasons. Firstly, if you ever need to travel in the night, then it becomes the most important task. Secondly, some times you plan to leave early in the morning as traffic is less and this way you can easily cover a considerable distance. Thirdly, we used our low beam lights initially in the trip from Rawalpindi to Balakot just to keep track of each other especially during the day ( you can easily see your group partners through the side mirrors due to the lights).
    I had the stock lights before the trip. I had broken the front glass and had replaced it with a plastic one. The stock light is itself very pathetic and with the plastic front, it was even more so. So, on a recommendation, I installed a U3 bulb for the trip.
    Following are the pics of both.

Name:  ImageUploadedByPW Forums1442073814.749565.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  193.2 KB
    This is the complete stock set

Name:  ImageUploadedByPW Forums1442073917.897068.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  136.1 KB
    This shows the cheap front glass and the U3 light.
    Alas, little did I know and realised quite late that the whole light assembly plus body is not for night driving as the U3 light if installed in a proper assembly will be sufficient but wasn't focused and reflected by the stock poor quality. I rode my Gs 150 from Kaghan till Qewai in the dark and man it got scary.
    So, summing it up, change the whole light package of Suzuki GS150 if you ever plan for any sort of trip more than 14 hours.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

4. Tires
    I still have the stock tires installed and that was one of the things that was up to the par. Yes some say it skids, some say it doesn't have a good grip and even that it is too thin for the North. All are true and some more but changing tires was not something that I could have afforded just for this trip.
    Firstly, cause they had been used only for about 2500 km and I was advised to keep them due to the reason that new tires have a good grip and wont skid, no matter what others say. My driving style isn't very rash and have been driving till now in a very calculated way and by keeping the brakes tight, I didn't have a problem. The tired skid when I push the break lever full down and even then just a little. So imagine my surprise when I had to actually use them on the way to Monal in Islamabad. I took a smaller curve on a steep turn while in 2-3 gear (I think) and the engine died, while me holding the font breaks as hard as I could, while the bike is slowly skidding down. Icecream wala ran up to help me out. Phew, it was a scare. The reason was not the tyres but my inexperience and the sheer weight of the bike and the steep angle I was stuck at. After that I always took turns up-the-hills carefully and never had an issue . Even sometimes while driving 100km/hr from Pindi to Balakot.

Name:  ImageUploadedByPW Forums1442076809.033099.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  119.5 KB
    My GS150 with stock tyres

Name:  ImageUploadedByPW Forums1442076869.128359.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  65.5 KB
    Waqas bhai having Service cruiser at the rear and stock rear tires at the front. His drive was really smooth because of these tires, I could see their drive as all others had somewhat similar tires.

Negatives
    1. On a steep road and going up, which are very very few to Naran, you should keep a good gearing routine so as not to kill the engine as the bike is heavy and it can skid slowly backward. Quickly put it in gear and apply rear breaks.
    2. People say stock tires slip on waters, while it does make sense, I always slowed down and never had issue.
    3. Stock tyres Not meant for going up to the lake Saif-alMalook. I got there but it was hard. It will surely be hard for anybike but with stock Suzuki tyres it got harder
    Change your tyres if the are not new and install better tyres in case if you have a GS150. Your life is very important and it's better to spend a little more than to loose your life altogether.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jadoon1992_vxlimited View Post
    Asif Sahab wala safe guard dekh k guess kia kiun k wo Karachi se he gya tha . and Amir bhai wali bike from the disk setup
    And I was of the idea that he got the guard made there in Pindi :p .

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List