Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mercedes Benz w203 c200 transmission oil change..HELP!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Mercedes Benz w203 c200 transmission oil change..HELP!

Hey guys, I have a 04' c200 komp with 85k km on it. I read on a forum that transmission oil has to be changed around this point. It said that mercedes dealers have a special equipment to drain all the transmission fluid there is(which is about 7 litres). Apparently if you open the valve of the transmission box, only abt. 4litres is drained. rest of it is in the torque chamber.. All the technical mumbo jumbo aside, i want to ask that is there a way to get this done without having to drain your pockets at Shahnawaz. I mean is there any good mechanic in LAHORE who knows what he is doing? The guy who does my car's work didn't know what i was talkin about. Any professional advice or past experience would be helpful..Thanks,

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Mercedes auto transmissions are very reliable, but as with everything mechanical, only when properly maintained!
    Generally, (and also per mercedes manuals) transmission oil change must be coupled with a transmission oil filter change!
    The most important things that should be observed are:
    • The person dong the job should know what he is dong ( no new information!)
    • ABSOLUTE cleanliness MUST be observed, the right transmission oil MUST be used (listed in the MB oil spec-sheet)

The torque converter also has a drain screw, a lot of oil flows out of there!
    The person performing the job must have a proper torque wrench, cause thats the only proper way the oil pan bolts can be tightened (after changing the transmission filter). The tightening torques are in the range of 10-15Nm (which are minute) and jahil mechanics would always try to over tighten them, which would result in a deformed oil-pan causing leaks!

So my advise, if you cannot do it yourself, do not save money, go to shahnawaz if you think they have the proper expertise to perform the job!
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ask vcheng, he will definitely advise you upon how to do it yourself. All the equipment is easily available in Pakistan.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thanks a lot guys. i dnt think i ll be experimenting a lot.May be i ll go to shahnawaz cuz as farooq said it has to be done by someone who s technically competent and the mechanics at shahnawaz are my best bet. though i will ask vcheng. Thanks for all the help. Cheers!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

IMO you should go to shahnawaz and not take any risks. That been said, there are alot of workshops in Lahore which deal with the all the 'big' cars including Mercs, bimmers and Land cruisers etc. There is one such workshop on Ferozpur road near Shama cinema. Its located in one of the small street over there (Dont be fooled by the street sizes over there. They are extremely small but I have personally seen S classes over there). You will have to ask around for the exact location. All I can tell you is that a Suzuki Gold Workshop is also situated in that area. Go over there and ask people about the workshop where all Land cruisers and mercedes come and they will guide you.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

IMO it is better to spend a little more money now, than spending a lot more money in the future, go to Shahnawaz.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Farooque View Post
    Mercedes auto transmissions are very reliable, but as with everything mechanical, only when properly maintained!
    Generally, (and also per mercedes manuals) transmission oil change must be coupled with a transmission oil filter change!

The most important things that should be observed are:
    • The person dong the job should know what he is dong ( no new information!)
    • ABSOLUTE cleanliness MUST be observed, the right transmission oil MUST be used (listed in the MB oil spec-sheet)
    The torque converter also has a drain screw, a lot of oil flows out of there!
    The person performing the job must have a proper torque wrench, cause thats the only proper way the oil pan bolts can be tightened (after changing the transmission filter). The tightening torques are in the range of 10-15Nm (which are minute) and jahil mechanics would always try to over tighten them, which would result in a deformed oil-pan causing leaks!

So my advise, if you cannot do it yourself, do not save money, go to shahnawaz if you think they have the proper expertise to perform the job!
    i couldn't agree more, on my older cars i do this stuff myself,... but i never mess with a merc that is under waranty.

however, thinking that shshnawaz is "safe" is a myth. usually the guy working on your car is nothing more than a semi-trained monkey with some tools.
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@mani1 that workshop s called bhai bhai autos. n they are elctronics experts. i'll go n check if he can do it. i usually get my work done frm Suntech but i M not very satisfied with that. I ve heard of another guy naeem who has a shop near the airport. if not then Shahnawaz it is

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

There is a new workshop on new airport road on your left as adjacent to the gate of Eden Avenue EXT.

There is a big black board with RR on it. Have seen benz, BMW, and RR being repaired over there.

I have heard that they have got spare parts with good tools as well. Dont know abt the staff though.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ storm thats even more confusing man. if not even shahnawaz then where? What if i just replace the 4 litres of oil which drain frm the tranny replaced n get the filter replaced too without bothering about the oil in the torque chamber. atlest thats what my mechanic suggests. Will it work? N i'm sure this is not a DIY for me. If someone can suggest a good mechanic...Plz do so..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ killervtec i think you re talkin about naeem's shop.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

N plz correct me if i m getting something technically wrong here