Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Mercedes Benz M104 engine Head Gasket Failures

Dear Pak wheel members,
    As we know Mercedes Benz M-104 engine which is inline 6 cylinder (petrol) can be seen in E320, C280 W124 etc upto 1997 or 1999 models if I am wrong correct me please.This engine is very nice,smooth and durable for hundred of thousands of miles but it is prone to head gasket failures and the oil leak can be seen from the engine front cover where there is timing chain inside, Still new engines are coming from Ssangyong Korea which are made under license from Mercedes benz,

Now the question is that do you people face this head gasket leak or was there any improvement on the head gasket material or the design itself?

Everybody please share your experiece on this and especially Mr.Xulfiqar pls., share about this.
    we should be proud of safe driving.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The headgasket design has been superseded by MB two times, The newer style ones are much more durable at the timing case. They dont leak. But the original ones are also good for about 200,000 kms if you dont cook the engine. The updated design will be good for nearly a million - Im sure the M104 will still run smooth and eager at that mileage.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    The headgasket design has been superseded by MB two times, The newer style ones are much more durable at the timing case. They dont leak. But the original ones are also good for about 200,000 kms if you dont cook the engine. The updated design will be good for nearly a million - Im sure the M104 will still run smooth and eager at that mileage.

Thanks,
    but I feel that the M104 supplied by Ssangyong is not modified one as they still leak and also dealer told me that the major cause of the leak is engine over heating as you said "if you don't cook the engine". most of the rextons are found with coolant and oil mixed in the over flow reservoir.

one more thing was told to me that in this engine the engine temperature shown in the meter cluster is the measure of coolant temperature rather than engine oil temperature as if coolant is at normal temperature but the engine is overheated due to gasket leak or thermostat failure, Driver does not know about it before a breakdown. Do YOU have such experience or is it right to say?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by imran2d View Post
    Thanks,
    but I feel that the M104 supplied by Ssangyong is not modified one as they still leak and also dealer told me that the major cause of the leak is engine over heating as you said "if you don't cook the engine". most of the rextons are found with coolant and oil mixed in the over flow reservoir.

one more thing was told to me that in this engine the engine temperature shown in the meter cluster is the measure of coolant temperature rather than engine oil temperature as if coolant is at normal temperature but the engine is overheated due to gasket leak or thermostat failure, Driver does not know about it before a breakdown. Do YOU have such experience or is it right to say?
    In a normal jap engine the sensor measures coolant temperature - as in liquid coolant, in a MB or any german brand it measures the casting temperature, meaning metal temperature - The failure of the headgasket in a M104 allows oil to enter the cooling system but keeps the compression intact. So before the entire system becomes a bowl of greasy mud replace the gasket with the updated MB design and thoroughly clean the cooling galleries.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    In a normal jap engine the sensor measures coolant temperature - as in liquid coolant, in a MB or any german brand it measures the casting temperature, meaning metal temperature - The failure of the headgasket in a M104 allows oil to enter the cooling system but keeps the compression intact. So before the entire system becomes a bowl of greasy mud replace the gasket with the updated MB design and thoroughly clean the cooling galleries.
    Thanks for your clear guidelines, actually I can see small amount of gunk in the front right corner of the timing cover near gasket, so may be this is start of leak, but the mileage on the my vehicle is 1,21,000 kms so may be I can go further 60,000 kms before I replace the gasket, coolant is still clean and without signs of oil contamination.

just to stretch this thread otherwise I have to start another one, the question is why mercedes benz and other automakers discontinued straight 6 engine and started V6, MB used to power its vehicles about 100 years with inline engines?

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List