Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Mercedes W204 Starter Problem - Steering lock issue

Dear Members,

As the title says, W204 C class failed to start. Ignition works, all the functions of the ignition work but the car fails to start. Diagnosis revealed a steering lock issue. I have searched online and found that the problem has been faced by many owners of W204 worldwide.

I want to know the following;

Do I need to get the steering lock replaced only or the Steering Lock Module too.
    What is the difference between a Prefuse and Steering Lock Module? Are they same?
    Does it need to be programmed before installation or the chip can program itself when installed in the car?

Dont want to go to Shahnawaz without prior knowledge.

Any help is appreciated.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

dash warning lights turn up but refuse crank?? Prefuse is the electrical junction box for HIGH current items like starter motor, interior air blower.mostly connected directly over the battery positive terminal. check it yourself.
    Mercedes W204 Starter Problem  Steering lock issue -1063868
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

sir ji, what about the other queries

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the car needs to go mercedes to get the Module fitted ...it will need to be progeramed ..theres no other way round it....common fault..on all mercedes after 99..
    Pakistan.. Toyota hilux..golf mk2 gtd..rolla 2.0d..nissian sunny.. Yamaha pw 50.. Coventry uk....audi v8 d11..golf mk2 rallye..honda crx..evo 8..golf mk2 gtd..Vauxhall insignia..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Teeboyuk View Post
    the car needs to go mercedes to get the Module fitted ...it will need to be progeramed ..theres no other way round it....common fault..on all mercedes after 99..
    thanks for the update. can i get it sourced from any merc dealer outside Pak? fitting is not a problem.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the module cannot be bought outside the country of placement of vehicle. the required documentation is

ownership of vehicle
    vehicle fitness certificate
    dealership no.
    100% advance payment as it is a theft deterrent part.

It can only be installed and coded by MB after which it is permanently married to the car. It is a more than 8 hour job to install.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    the module cannot be bought outside the country of placement of vehicle. the required documentation is

ownership of vehicle
    vehicle fitness certificate
    dealership no.
    100% advance payment as it is a theft deterrent part.

It can only be installed and coded by MB after which it is permanently married to the car. It is a more than 8 hour job to install.
    but u can get a new key sourced and programmed from other countries. why is it so?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Mercedes don't release any security stuff...all modules are sent from Germany ..to dealers only..mercedes security is easy to by pass..but a right pain to fix...They have electronic steering locks...
    Pakistan.. Toyota hilux..golf mk2 gtd..rolla 2.0d..nissian sunny.. Yamaha pw 50.. Coventry uk....audi v8 d11..golf mk2 rallye..honda crx..evo 8..golf mk2 gtd..Vauxhall insignia..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Haroon_Tarar View Post
    Dear Members,

As the title says, W204 C class failed to start. Ignition works, all the functions of the ignition work but the car fails to start. Diagnosis revealed a steering lock issue. I have searched online and found that the problem has been faced by many owners of W204 worldwide.

I want to know the following;

Do I need to get the steering lock replaced only or the Steering Lock Module too.
    What is the difference between a Prefuse and Steering Lock Module? Are they same?
    Does it need to be programmed before installation or the chip can program itself when installed in the car?

Dont want to go to Shahnawaz without prior knowledge.

Any help is appreciated.
    a very common manufacturing fault in w204
    the whole module has to be replaced then programmed and in pakistan only shahnawaz has the goods to do so> the total cost 1 lac 18 thousand plus labour ofcourse!
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Wow that's a lot of money...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

shahnawaz has the goods to do so? u mean to say that shahnawaz programs it? i dont think so. Someone told me that when u install the new module in the car, turn on the ignition and the module has the capability to program itself. i could be wrong.

shahnawaz is charging way more than the mentioned amount. i have sent an email to merc equesting them to provide me with the required part. lets see what they have to say about it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

That's cool bro... Some cars do I don't know which ones....I don't think it will work..the only other option is to order a second hand...
    ecu..module ..key..... From the uk..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@teeboyuk brother plz elaborate a little on the following

ecu..module..key...from uk

what do u mean to say

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

shahnawaz has the goods to do so? u mean to say that shahnawaz programs it? i dont think so. Someone told me that when u install the new module in the car, turn on the ignition and the module has the capability to program itself. i could be wrong.

shahnawaz is charging way more than the mentioned amount. i have sent an email to merc equesting them to provide me with the required part. lets see what they have to say about it.
    The module when shipped by MB is blank, when installed to the car it wont be recognized, This is part of the security of it, It is coded whilst in the car connected to the dealership service system and it also is REQUIRED to update the master record that it has been changed. This is done to keep track of any stolen cars and also to provide keys when ordered.

118,000/- is USD 1100 and loose change which is right about correct for today.

If the keys and modules were self programming, they wont be theft deterrent parts - anyone could get a blank and steal your car. btw MB DE wont entertain you in this regard, the required criteria has to come through their dealer and service network with proper evidence.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

That's cool bro... Some cars do I don't know which ones....I don't think it will work..the only other option is to order a second hand...
    ecu..module ..key..... From the uk..

I know for a fact that the 98 above key modules will not work from a junked car. The module is coded ONCE and is then married to the car forever.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yes bro..if you have all three ..ecu..key.. modual.. it does work...ive done it..there are few other bits..im sure the key talks to the modual..which then goes to the ecu..which then swichs the feul on??? i might be wrong

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

but u can get a new key sourced and programmed from other countries. why is it so?
    A genuine MB key is also sourced the same way as the module, its a TDP.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yes bro..if you have all three ..ecu..key.. modual.. it does work...ive done it..there are few other bits..im sure the key talks to the modual..which then goes to the ecu..which then swichs the feul on??? i might be wrong
    I know of a nice shiny E430 W210 sedan here available for 1000 dollars, just because the key module is dead. Tried and tested, nothing works on it.

The older DAS systems can be worked like you mention but not the new ones, they are a right PITA to work out. I specially hate the super hard vault quality steel they used for the steering lock.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

cuts..bruised knuckels..dont remind me..hard work..i did on s class 2002..i had to chage the clocks..and ecu for gearbox..it took about a week..trial and error..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I found an interesting article while searching for subject. Quoting it here. Dont know which model it belongs to.

I posted this on this forum 2.5 yrs ago. I have copied it below for convenience. Hope it helps a bit.Adam
    Broken/sticking Steering Lock
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I HAVE AN ANSWER for anyone who has a ignition-steering lock that sometimes gives them fits. (And threatens to leave you stranded wherever you may be)
    This is for when you still have a sticking problem after replacing the $40.00 tumbler. I replaced mine from the MB dealer with original key hoping this would cure my locking problem...no luck on that one. Got stuck the first time I tested it.
    I initially figured out that if I never allowed the steering wheel to turn to one of the positions that allows the pin from the locking mechanism to drop into the wheel therefore locking it, that i'd be OK. This worked well but always worried me that I could accidentally bump the wheel with my knee and inadvertendly lock it. I have accidentally locked it before and had a very hard time shaking the wheel and violently turning at the key to get it past the position where it stuck.
    Anyway, if you understand the above then you'll appreciate this 35cent fix (if you don't mind disabling the steering locking mechanism and the annoying buzzer reminding you to remove your key.) If you want the steering lock to be operable then fork over the $150.00 + and get the new unit from MB before your old one leaves you trapped and having to to a lot of miserable work on your back in the driver floorboard.
    OK...here goes...
    Remove the ignition unit. First pull the tumbler out. Ask me if you need help doing this.
    Then unhook all the wires (one pack at the back of the cylinder) and one small connection that powers the annoying buzzer.
    Then remove the two vacuum lines to the shutoff valve.
    Then loosen the clamp that holds the ignition unit
    Then press in the little spring loaded button and pull out the unit from the steering unit. (Pulling the unit may require pushing out the instrument cluster a little and removing the two nuts that hold the steering wheel in place) These nuts are hard to get to but can be done with a 1/4 rachet and 13mm socket.
    Once the unit is out, put it in a vice, reinstall the lock tumbler and lubricate everything like crazy to clean out the years of worn amuminum shavings. Turn the key back and forth over and over and work the shaft lubricating it.
    This may cure your problem, but if not (if you have to put pressure on the locking pin to get the ignition key to turn) you'll have to either repair or replace this worn unit.
    Push the locking pin in as far as it will go. Measure this distance. (roughly 1/2 inch)
    Get a 1/2" diameter coarse thread bolt (an inch long is long enough) and mark it the same length.
    Place the whole assembly in a vice and carefully thread the bolt right in the place where the locking pin is. (You'll have to push in the pin to start it) Thread the bolt (just like you are tapping) in to your mark...should be about half inch or more. The aluminum cast makes it easy to tap this.
    Once you're in to your mark, make sure the key operates everything properly. Pull it in and out and turn it through its full range 5 or 6 times just to make sure everything works.
    No turning back now!
    Once you're confident it is operating properly, then cut off the remainder of your bolt flush with the end of the unit. (I used a die grinder, but a hacksaw would work well too) Just make sure that you finish off by smoothing the end of the bolt so it doesn't protrude any more than the original unit. (Again the die grinder made quick work of this)
    Final step is to grind off the little push button pin off the side so you'll be able to reinstall. (With the locking pin now in its permanently retracted position, this little button will no longer push in like it should.) Grind this flush with the casing so it doesn't protrude.
    Put everything back together and never worry about your steering lock rendering your car unusable.
    This is a quick description but let me know if you have any questions about any part...I'll be happy to go into more detail.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Take care!
    Adam

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List