Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Daewoo Racer/Cielo Fan Club

Dear All,

I am an owner of Daewoo Racer since 1995. It has proven to be a very comfortable and economical car throughout this period. It used to give an average of 13Km/L within city and ~15Km/L on long drives. Here are some pictures:

Daewoo fan club -479355

Daewoo fan club -479356

Daewoo fan club -1050638

Check the links for my rides
    1. Before 2008 (Racer)
    Daewoo Racer
    2. After Jan 2008 (Cielo)
    Daewoo Cielo

I would recommend buying this car who want a better car at low budgets!

Any member having used a Daewoo car must share their experience....(y)

IMPORTANT: SCANNER Facility is Available at Friends Autos, I-9, Islamabad. [Khalid: 0322-5111110, 0321-9562840]

Quick Links:

Parts Dealers/workshops link [Page-3 post #:54]:

Alloy Rim fitment [Page-15 post #:290]:

The DOHC engine[Page-30 post #:585]:

Service Manual/Electrical Diagrams link[Page-30 post #:594]:

Cielo Conversion [Page-57 post #:1130]:

How to get Black Bumpers [Page-60 post #:1315]:

Reading ECM Error Codes [Page-191 post #:3804]:

Air Conditioner maintenance shops [Page-195 post #:3897]:

High RPM/Stalling Problem on AC, OK Otherwise[Page-203 post #:4048]:

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@testdriver Sir i tried the method, connected pin A and B via a single wire but engine check light remained constant.There was no blinking whatsoever.

Engine check light remains on during engine startup and ignition.Connecting pins A and B together in the obd connector port has no effect.I cant check any status
    The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status, is that, deep down inside, we all believe that we are above-average drivers.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by guybwp View Post
    aoa....i changed the ignition coil and also the plug wires.. the condition has improved but while the plugs were being cleaned there was oil on one of the plugs(around the white ring portion)...but the tip of all the plugs was red and im getting good mileage on petrol. the car starts fine but there is some missing still.....i was reading that it may be due to bad valve seals...am i getting too much paranoid? me n my electrician checked everything...from changing the distributor to MAP sensor to CO sensor of another daewoo but the problem is there....and as i mentioned in my earlier post i did notice grey smoke early morning...so im scared now thinking about the seal problem....coz there is no other way to confirm it but to look at the seals themselves and for that have to open the head ...my electrician said the oil could be due to missing and i should change the plugs simply...is it possible he is right and i should wait a few weeks ?
    First of all make sure there is no vacuum leak. Especially check the vent control vacuum surge tank located adjacent to the fresh air vent area just above the blower under the black cover. Regarding the oil on plug sides, the problem could be a cracked head gasket or the valve seals. Just wait for few days and check back if the plug again develop the oil stain. If the problem is still there, the head needs to be opened. The compression test would also not be significant if the leak is very minor.
    Adnan's
    Daewoo Cielo GLX 1.6L E-TECII DOHC 110PS/5000 150N.m./3400

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by devilskreed View Post
    @testdriver Sir i tried the method, connected pin A and B via a single wire but engine check light remained constant.There was no blinking whatsoever.

Engine check light remains on during engine startup and ignition.Connecting pins A and B together in the obd connector port has no effect.I cant check any status
    The light should at-least blink code 12. If you have correctly shorted pins A and B and the light is not blinking, then the ECM is problematic. I suggest that you should get it scanned through scanner.
    Adnan's

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i am feeling unburn fuel smell in cabin. what should be the culprit?
    MONEY IS YOURS BUT RESOURCES BELONG TO THE
    SOCIETY

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by welcome786 View Post
    I sometimes feels the same in my car. When refueling, it feels more. Seems the gasket / seal of the fuel pump assembly is weak. Unburnt fuel smell comes with the emission of black smoke (ask someone to either stand at the back of the car to watch when you press the accelerator or start the engine or ask someone to follow you in another car / bike when you drive). Visibility of black smoke is a common sign of unburnt petrol & adjustments needed to be done to remove it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I sometimes feels the same in my car. When refueling, it feels more. Seems the gasket / seal of the fuel pump assembly is weak. Unburnt fuel smell comes with the emission of black smoke (ask someone to either stand at the back of the car to watch when you press the accelerator or start the engine or ask someone to follow you in another car / bike when you drive). Visibility of black smoke is a common sign of unburnt petrol & adjustments needed to be done to remove it.

I need to visit Irshad for this issue but Im not able to spare some time for it. BTW, have you ever visited Irshad or Qadir?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The heater worked gr8 in Murree... it was just the cooling side was not shifting to the heater mode... my electrician fixed it in no time... no need of thermostat valve as my radiator fan has an "on/off" switch inside. So why to heat the engine all the time to half when not required? It gave very good mileage of 11.5km/L. The only thing i want now is that DOHC engine... but my mechanic keeps telling me that parts are not available... i told him optra parts are same but even then he says parts of optra also not available! Any idea guys?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nakheb View Post
    The heater worked gr8 in Murree... it was just the cooling side was not shifting to the heater mode... my electrician fixed it in no time... no need of thermostat valve as my radiator fan has an "on/off" switch inside. So why to heat the engine all the time to half when not required? It gave very good mileage of 11.5km/L. The only thing i want now is that DOHC engine... but my mechanic keeps telling me that parts are not available... i told him optra parts are same but even then he says parts of optra also not available! Any idea guys?
    I wouldn't recommend the DOHC engine if your current engine is working good. Regarding the thermostat valve, "heat the engine all the time" is what recommend by the manufacturer as ideal engine running temperature, we have to take care about "overheat" condition. If the engine is kept below 74 degrees C, the ECM is turned into open loop and then "bye bye" to engine performance. That switch (thermostat switch) is also supposed to start the fan at 85 degrees C, and the engine will take longer to warmup since the water/coolant is flowing through the radiator. Thermostat valve restricts the flow within the engine until it reaches "OPTIMUM" temperature.
    Adnan's

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by goodfellow View Post

I need to visit Irshad for this issue but Im not able to spare some time for it. BTW, have you ever visited Irshad or Qadir?
    Irshad overhauled my drive's engine few months back. Abdul qadir live's near piyala hotel gulberg.
    SOCIETY

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Irshad overhauled my drive's engine few months back. Abdul qadir live's near piyala hotel gulberg.
    I have visited both of them. Irshad overhauled my engine but Qadir pointed out the actual problem. My engine use to vibrate very very badly when releasing the clutch. Qadir said that there is a play in the crankshaft & it is playing horizontally causing the vibration. Irshad then did the job of overhauling. I did saw each of them building daewoo individually (maybe their personal or for some special client) & they were restoring every bit of the vehicle from body, engine, interior, wiring etc to the original specs. They were working for months on that project.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by goodfellow View Post
    I have visited both of them. Irshad overhauled my engine but Qadir pointed out the actual problem. My engine use to vibrate very very badly when releasing the clutch. Qadir said that there is a play in the crankshaft & it is playing horizontally causing the vibration. Irshad then did the job of overhauling. I did saw each of them building daewoo individually (maybe their personal or for some special client) & they were restoring every bit of the vehicle from body, engine, interior, wiring etc to the original specs. They were working for months on that project.

what irshad says about black smoke and unburnt fuel?
    SOCIETY

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ testdrive... i want to shoft to a DOHC engine just for more performance but i have to be sure it doesnt creat a mess afterward... sir why arent u recommending? any parts issue? Pls let me kno so i can make up the decision

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ testdrive... i want to shoft to a DOHC engine just for more performance but i have to be sure it doesnt creat a mess afterward... sir why arent u recommending? any parts issue? Pls let me kno so i can make up the decision
    There are various reasons:
    1. Complete uncut wiring for manual transmission is rare these days. You have to arrange a good daewoo electrician for the job, which again is a very difficult task. If you are lucky enough to find uncut wiring, it will cost you around Rs.15k

2. The engine is quite heavier, you have to arrange complete cielo suspension and front brake setup. You have to get the shocks changed as well as renew all the bushings. The whole setup will cost you around Rs.30k

3. You must change the timing set for a kabli engine which alone costs around Rs.15k.

4. The engine will cost you around Rs.45k and labor cost around Rs.10k

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by testdriver View Post
    There are various reasons:
    1. Complete uncut wiring for manual transmission is rare these days. You have to arrange a good daewoo electrician for the job, which again is a very difficult task. If you are lucky enough to find uncut wiring, it will cost you around Rs.15k

2. The engine is quite heavier, you have to arrange complete cielo suspension and front brake setup. You have to get the shocks changed as well as renew all the bushings. The whole setup will cost you around Rs.30k

3. You must change the timing set for a kabli engine which alone costs around Rs.15k.

4. The engine will cost you around Rs.45k and labor cost around Rs.10k
    wao 115k for DOHC Engine setup. one can find running daewoo in this price tag in karachi.
    lolz
    SOCIETY

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

what irshad says about black smoke and unburnt fuel?
    Assalamualikum bro.

Hope you are doing good.

Not yet visited him. But last time (about 1 year ago) I had this problem & my engine check light was always on. Irshad checked the error code & found that the MAP sensor pipe was disconnected. He simply connected that pipe & the black smoke was gone & engine response was improved. This time I have noidea about the black smoke as the map sensor is connected & there is no check engine light.

If it is possible, do check your map sensor pipe for any damages / loosing or try to pay Irshad a visit if his location is near you.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

wao 115k for DOHC Engine setup. one can find running daewoo in this price tag in karachi.
    lolz
    Absolutely.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Salam all, @test driver...sir I have been reading your comments and experiences since this morning and that made me make an account on pakwheels just to get some guidance from u for my car...i am a very lazy person as far as car keeping and maintenance is concerned...i bought daewoo not more then 10 months ago...and I was having a problem with oil leakage since then which I didnt bothered about much...i used to replace the oil every now and then and some times puts in open oil ( but of considerable quality i.e Rs.240/lt) now for the last few days engine is giving so much of smoke from the pipe going to carburetor from the engine...i took it to a mechanic in G-8 (Mr. Tahir) and he says "engine blow mar raha hy" u need to get it overhauled and it will cost u around 35K..yesterday I took it to and other mechanic G-7 fire brigade (Mr.Ismail) and he says only changing the rings will do and it will cost u 12K...but this morning the car was unable to start...there was no noise of crank (as to what i understand and hoping that it is not seized yet)..........Please tell me where should i take my car for satisfactory work

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ testdriver Thx for the info... certainly i won't be going for the twin cam engine now... but maybe i would like to buy a daewoo with this engine some day. In which daewoo model does it come as an original engine here? In Cielo?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dr_bilal_shah View Post
    Salam all, @test driver...sir I have been reading your comments and experiences since this morning and that made me make an account on pakwheels just to get some guidance from u for my car...i am a very lazy person as far as car keeping and maintenance is concerned...i bought daewoo not more then 10 months ago...and I was having a problem with oil leakage since then which I didnt bothered about much...i used to replace the oil every now and then and some times puts in open oil ( but of considerable quality i.e Rs.240/lt) now for the last few days engine is giving so much of smoke from the pipe going to carburetor from the engine...i took it to a mechanic in G-8 (Mr. Tahir) and he says "engine blow mar raha hy" u need to get it overhauled and it will cost u around 35K..yesterday I took it to and other mechanic G-7 fire brigade (Mr.Ismail) and he says only changing the rings will do and it will cost u 12K...but this morning the car was unable to start...there was no noise of crank (as to what i understand and hoping that it is not seized yet)..........Please tell me where should i take my car for satisfactory work
    W.A.S.

Welcome to the fan club.

Regarding your question, the engine needs

1. Head job when the head hydraulics are creating noise, the valve job needs to be done or head has been deformed/de-shaped due to engine overheat.
    2. Boring if the cylinder is in need of rings replacement and standard wont do the job(which usually is when the rings needs replacement)
    3. Complete overhaul if the crank has play/sound

It depends on the expertise of mechanic to correctly diagnose the problem and then proceed to dismantle the engine. Tahir must have told the maximum cost to expect from the worst case scenario in which all the above 3 conditions are valid while Ismail just gave you the option to just replace the rings without lathe job, that will just work for maximum 6-8 months. Consider the scenario, the lathe guy will take about Rs.3-4K for bore, genuine rings cost around Rs.3K, genuine pistons cost around Rs.3K, oil will cost around Rs.2.5K and labor around Rs.5K. If the oil pump is faulty, add another Rs.2K. You should get another opinion from Faqeer Hussain at G-10 and also tell Tahir to give the breakup of the entire job and get the breakup from Ismail and then finally decide what to do.
    Adnan's

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ testdriver Thx for the info... certainly i won't be going for the twin cam engine now... but maybe i would like to buy a daewoo with this engine some day. In which daewoo model does it come as an original engine here? In Cielo?
    If you need DOHC engine, just buy yourself a Cielo. Original Cielo didn't come to Pakistan, all are converted ones around. Make sure you get a genuine (with original vin plate) nicely converted car. Better take an expert along with you while buying any such car.
    Adnan's

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List