Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Mercedes Benz W-210 AC trouble..!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Mercedes Benz W-210 AC trouble..!!

Aoa,

I have a 2001 E220 CDI with independant climate control for driver and passanger. Yesterday when i turned on the car AC the driver's side central and side vent were not giving out cold air where as the passenger's side central and side vent were giving out cold air, plus its AC is stuck in EC mode. I ran a diagnosis and encountered following errors:
    1) EB1 231
    2) EB1 233
    3) EB1 419
    4) EB1 424
    5) EB1 241

Can anyone please help me out here??. @Xulfiqar bhai your expertise required her.. @Haroon_Tarar , @VEEeight your input will also be appreciated..
    thanks in advance..
    "..I am as bad as the worst, but, thank God, I am as good as the best..."
    -Walt Whitman

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Kiki091 View Post
    Aoa,

I have a 2001 E220 CDI with independant climate control for driver and passanger. Yesterday when i turned on the car AC the driver's side central and side vent were not giving out cold air where as the passenger's side central and side vent were giving out cold air, plus its AC is stuck in EC mode. I ran a diagnosis and encountered following errors:
    1) EB1 231
    2) EB1 233
    3) EB1 419
    4) EB1 424
    5) EB1 241

Can anyone please help me out here??. @Xulfiqar bhai your expertise required her.. @Haroon_Tarar , @VEEeight your input will also be appreciated..
    thanks in advance..

I'm afraid am not familiar with this model of Mercedes but sounds as if one of the vacuum pipes is malfunctioning. Am sure Xulfiqar will hit the nail in exactly the right part of the head and tell you what the problem is. I had a similar issue on an older merc and it turned out "fresh" air was mixing with cold. Good luck

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

get your gas level checked. fill it with scanner attached and close when the scanner tells you (these cars need just the right amount of gas to operate) excess and low gas doesnt allow aircons to operate.

i m sure it will solve the problem

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VEEeight View Post
    I'm afraid am not familiar with this model of Mercedes but sounds as if one of the vacuum pipes is malfunctioning. Am sure Xulfiqar will hit the nail in exactly the right part of the head and tell you what the problem is. I had a similar issue on an older merc and it turned out "fresh" air was mixing with cold. Good luck
    Thanks a lot for your input sir..

Quote Originally Posted by Haroon_Tarar View Post
    get your gas level checked. fill it with scanner attached and close when the scanner tells you (these cars need just the right amount of gas to operate) excess and low gas doesnt allow aircons to operate.

i m sure it will solve the problem
    @Haroon_Tarar bhai from where can i get the best gas refill for this car in Islamabad or Pindi???
    -Walt Whitman

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar bhai waiting for your valuable input sir..
    -Walt Whitman

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3985 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

error code

1231 = engine coolant sensor
    1233 = refrigerant temperature sensor (on dryer)
    1419 = magnet clutch on compressor
    1421 = pulse module (fan speed control relay (under right headlight)
    1424 = charcoal filter flap stuck open

Firstly half cooling as you are facing is a classic sign of low refrigerant in this car - this happens as half the A/C evaporator is chilled while the other half is not chilled hence 2 vents blow cold while 2 blow warm. The engine coolant sensor and refrigerant temperature sensor could have been triggered by someone fooling around with them, The charcoal filter flaps can be a genuine fault or some A/C technician breaking it off (can happen if inexperienced people service this car)

firstly I would suggest you read the real time data, it can be achieved by switching on the system (press auto) and then press "REST" - it should start to show a number and its value on the screen, toggle between them with the left and right auto buttons. Note all of them and then erase all fault codes (get into fault retreival system again and press both auto buttons for 2 seconds after reading all fault codes) - this should get the system out of the stuck economy (EC) mode.

Start the A/C - the compressor should engage, if it does not then switch the unit off and proceed to test the compressor clutch wire signal. If you see battery voltage when activation is required then the system is good. You have a dead clutch. Mine had this too. my compressor's clutch went out and I replaced it.

Verify that the engine cooling fan runs when required, its run by a pulser relay, it can go bad if someone was overgenerous with water or if the splash panel under the bumper is completely missing.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    error code

1231 = engine coolant sensor
    1233 = refrigerant temperature sensor (on dryer)
    1419 = magnet clutch on compressor
    1421 = pulse module (fan speed control relay (under right headlight)
    1424 = charcoal filter flap stuck open

Firstly half cooling as you are facing is a classic sign of low refrigerant in this car - this happens as half the A/C evaporator is chilled while the other half is not chilled hence 2 vents blow cold while 2 blow warm. The engine coolant sensor and refrigerant temperature sensor could have been triggered by someone fooling around with them, The charcoal filter flaps can be a genuine fault or some A/C technician breaking it off (can happen if inexperienced people service this car)

firstly I would suggest you read the real time data, it can be achieved by switching on the system (press auto) and then press "REST" - it should start to show a number and its value on the screen, toggle between them with the left and right auto buttons. Note all of them and then erase all fault codes (get into fault retreival system again and press both auto buttons for 2 seconds after reading all fault codes) - this should get the system out of the stuck economy (EC) mode.

Start the A/C - the compressor should engage, if it does not then switch the unit off and proceed to test the compressor clutch wire signal. If you see battery voltage when activation is required then the system is good. You have a dead clutch. Mine had this too. my compressor's clutch went out and I replaced it.

Verify that the engine cooling fan runs when required, its run by a pulser relay, it can go bad if someone was overgenerous with water or if the splash panel under the bumper is completely missing.
    Thank you so much bhai.... Btw i use to smell all the dirt or diesel smoke even with the ventilation closed, does this have any connection with the charcoal filter being stuck?? what is the purpose of charcoal filter @Xulfiqar bhai??
    -Walt Whitman

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3985 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the charcoal filter job is to freshen the inside air and free it of any smells (do not use any sort of car perfume in your car as it will lead to petroleum smell) - the fresh air ducts in any automatic climate control mercedes are never fully closed (MB always wants fresh air in the car)

For the smell - start with replacing the primary cabin air filters (behind glove box) and clean out the grated air box that is on the trailing edge of the bonnet, it has a trap door to drain water too, if you or your service/wash person ever used any petroleum product in there to shine things up, it will stink and that smell WILL always be in the cabin.

The charcoal filters are a bit below nearly on the sides of main A/C box.

When replacing the charcoal filters only use genuine mercedes parts, its highly loaded with carbon, aftermarket ones are light as a bag of chips (aka useless) - similarly when replacing the cabin paper filter either use MB genuine, Micronair (OE) or MANN (replacement) - dont use any unbranded junk.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3985 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

check the magnet clutch gap on the compressor, if its more than 0.65mm your clutch will chatter and burn the thermal fuse in the magnet coil.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Its no rocket science. All you need is ORIGINAL gas and a scanner

I go to Pyare electrician near Haji camp. He works with Yaseen mechanic.

If you can hold till Saturday, I can go with you. If you want, I can give you his number. When the gas level is fine, other errors can be looked into

Sent from my GT-I9100 using PW Forums mobile app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3985 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Haroon_Tarar View Post
    Its no rocket science. All you need is ORIGINAL gas and a scanner

I go to Pyare electrician near Haji camp. He works with Yaseen mechanic.

If you can hold till Saturday, I can go with you. If you want, I can give you his number. When the gas level is fine, other errors can be looked into

Sent from my GT-I9100 using PW Forums mobile app
    filling up refrigerant in this car is simple, you can use a weighing scale and pressure gauge set along with a couple of thermometers or you can go the full shabbang and hook up SDS and monkey around with it (I love to do that), I usually prefer the me monkeying with the SDS as it can show you the correct readings on the sensors in one screen in plain english language.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3985 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I had the magnet clutch failure on my W210 - excessive clutch hub gap causing chatter and hence burn out of the fuse.

here are the details

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar bhai I got the Air conditioner's gas refilled but now the problem is that the compressor keeps on tripping after a while. Now three error codes are there: eb1232, eb1233, eb1419.
    -Walt Whitman

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

help pleaseeeee...
    -Walt Whitman

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3985 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar bhai I got the Air conditioner's gas refilled but now the problem is that the compressor keeps on tripping after a while. Now three error codes are there: eb1232, eb1233, eb1419.
    the 1419 is the magnetic clutch error code - if the gap is too large (anything above 0.65mm) the clutch will chatter when the engine bay gets hot. Make sure the clutch hub is torqued to 10 ft/lb then test the gap, adjust the shim stack as required. Test the resistance of the magnet clutch to ground, it should be about 4 ohms at room temperature.

The 1232 and 1233 are the refrigerant temperature and pressure switch errors, you need to check their wiring or replace them (they are on the drier).

What are the run pressures when you test the panel and read the pressure on menu item 7 and 8 when you test from the rest button trick. Verify the reading against an A/C pressure gauge setup and some sort of infrared thermometer - if the pressure and temperature are not similar on testing then replace both sensors.

Make sure the magnet clutch is good. Otherwise the compressor WILL permanently shut off if the thermal fuse blows out, its not replaceable - you would need a new magnet coil assembly like I mentioned in the post I linked to.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the 1419 is the magnetic clutch error code - if the gap is too large (anything above 0.65mm) the clutch will chatter when the engine bay gets hot. Make sure the clutch hub is torqued to 10 ft/lb then test the gap, adjust the shim stack as required. Test the resistance of the magnet clutch to ground, it should be about 4 ohms at room temperature.

The 1232 and 1233 are the refrigerant temperature and pressure switch errors, you need to check their wiring or replace them (they are on the drier).

What are the run pressures when you test the panel and read the pressure on menu item 7 and 8 when you test from the rest button trick. Verify the reading against an A/C pressure gauge setup and some sort of infrared thermometer - if the pressure and temperature are not similar on testing then replace both sensors.

Make sure the magnet clutch is good. Otherwise the compressor WILL permanently shut off if the thermal fuse blows out, its not replaceable - you would need a new magnet coil assembly like I mentioned in the post I linked to.
    okay bhai will get it checked tomorrow. I just came to know that the previous owner had installed a japanese thermostat kind of switch. I guess he has fiddled with the wiring of this car's AC too. Will get it checked tomorrow.
    -Walt Whitman

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3985 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

that is major bad news - the MB climate control system is tied to the CAN BUS and will go nuts if someone tries a "desi jugaar" on it. I dont understand why such short cuts are applied when the diagnostic procedure can tell you in one go whats wrong.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

that is major bad news - the MB climate control system is tied to the CAN BUS and will go nuts if someone tries a "desi jugaar" on it. I dont understand why such short cuts are applied when the diagnostic procedure can tell you in one go whats wrong.
    @Xulfiqar bhai more than 80% of so called Mercedes mechanics don't even know how to run a diagnostic, when i told them about the error codes they said ye kya hota hai..i will get the thermostat removed and install the proper sensors and bring it back into its original form. I was so annoyed with the mechanic today that I was literally about to slap him..
    -Walt Whitman

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3985 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I always emphasize on every brand, make and model - if one cannot get a proper repair DONT SHORT CUT IT. It will cost you more in the end.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3985 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar bhai more than 80% of so called Mercedes mechanics don't even know how to run a diagnostic, when i told them about the error codes they said ye kya hota hai..i will get the thermostat removed and install the proper sensors and bring it back into its original form. I was so annoyed with the mechanic today that I was literally about to slap him..
    If the so called MB mechanics dont have access to a tool that can scan a MB - they are useless. Owning a set of torx, allens and full socket set does not mean you are a MB mechanic.

I saw a lot of cars like this in Pakistan and when asked about the "proper repair estimate" I said thats how its supposed to be. Mostly answered - magar kaam to iss tarah bhi chalraha hai. To which I always had an answer, yeh itna mehnga mobile phone ki kia zaroorat hai, nokia 3310 bhi to mobile phone hai. Yeh mercedes kyun chala rahe ho, Mehran bhi to car hai.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List