1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Mercedes Benz 7G Gear Oil Change

Aoa, Can someone please guide me about when to change the gear oil for W211 E280 cdi as some forums I've seen say its for life but some recommend changing it. The car's done around 80k miles and its 7G transmission. I've gone through the service history and its never been changed before.

Thank you

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the W211 mostly had the old 5 spd automatic aka 722.6xx transmission, the 7G tronic is a later model and is christened as 722.9xx transmission.

Look up the buildsheet (if you have it) or read it off the transmission. The ATF change on the old 722.6 is easier. the 722.9 is a right and true pain in the behind and no its not filled for life, the ATF change interval is 30,000 miles and uses MB 236.14 spec ATF which only a handful companies make.

Over in the USA shell ATF 134 (correct spec for 722.9) is available for about USD 5/qt. - super duper cheap.

I can explain how to change the ATF in the 722.9 - but you would need to be quite crafty or find a very good mechanic who knows how to do this correctly or find one who wants to learn correctly.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    the W211 mostly had the old 5 spd automatic aka 722.6xx transmission, the 7G tronic is a later model and is christened as 722.9xx transmission.

Look up the buildsheet (if you have it) or read it off the transmission. The ATF change on the old 722.6 is easier. the 722.9 is a right and true pain in the behind and no its not filled for life, the ATF change interval is 30,000 miles and uses MB 236.14 spec ATF which only a handful companies make.

Over in the USA shell ATF 134 (correct spec for 722.9) is available for about USD 5/qt. - super duper cheap.

I can explain how to change the ATF in the 722.9 - but you would need to be quite crafty or find a very good mechanic who knows how to do this correctly or find one who wants to learn correctly.

Thanks alot for the guidance. Seems a bit difficult to do it myself but thinking about asking the dealership of how much would they charge.

Secondly you can you please tell me about the gearbox as before buying I found that majority of the reviews were about the gearbox issues this model has with the 7G and some SBC brake issue.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the 7G tronic gearbox shifts and performs really really good, the problems with it usually were the EGS (electronic gearbox system) module. The painful part here is that its part of the valve body, the good news is that MB now sell it separately too - previously this was a 900 Euro part complete with valve body - now its a 300 euro part - but it can only be written via a STAR unit after it has been installed in the vehicle.

To fill it you need to buy the fill adapter or make the fill adapter. Meaning that it has no topside fill port (like the dipstick pipe on older ones) - this one is filled from the drain port - the correct level of ATF is measured from the same fill/drain port - the port has a piece in it that causes the sump not to drain at a certain level. It is measured at ATF temperature only and immediately corrected.

the SBC brakes have a timer built into them that expire and will require a new SBC unit - If the car is equipped with SBC and your mechanics are not familiar with this system - please study it and show them how to take safety steps - the SBC will engage and operate the brakes when the pads are being changed unless it was disabled.

It has great force and can completely cut off fingers if they get caught in the calipers.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you so much for the valuable information.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar bhai, a few days back suddenly the check engine light turned on and the car did not accelerate like it does. Got it checked and the mechanic suggests its an issue with the exhaust filter. He said it can possibly be because I've shifted from driving a petrol to diesel so the light foot in a diesel engine can cause the filter to get clogged. He suggested it get it replaced but its nothing urgent according to him. I'm posting the error code image so can you please suggest what should I do about it and why it might have happened. Thank you

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Mercedes Benz 7G Gear Oil Change -1467425

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the intake manifold has resonance flappers in it which are gunked. They need to be cleaned out.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you soo much. So there's no need for a replacement which was quoted at around 80-100 Pounds? and should there be a change in driving style and rev more to avoid this or that's not the problem?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

and secondly @Xulfiqar bhai can it be done at home or should it be taken to a workshop?

Thank you

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the intake manifold removal is quite an involved job and will require some special tools (not too fancy) - then a good workbench to clean it out.

Best leave it to a pro if you can. If you are very good with DIY then you can accomplish it. Its a very messy job and runs the risk of damaging the flappers if you are not careful.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks a lot for the suggestion will leave that to the mechanic then.

Secondly the mechanic has overridden the error until its serviced But until then is it possible to bring back the acceleration as it has been in limp mode since the light came on? @Xulfiqar Bhai

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar bhai, the mechanic just checked again today and says that the turbo actuator has a problem and will need to replace it or the the whole turbo which is quite an expense. any suggestions please?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The seat adjustor switch has just come off. Would be grateful if someone can guide me as to how to clip that back as its not being held back in its place.

Mercedes Benz 7G Gear Oil Change -1528191

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bk7690 View Post
    Aoa, Can someone please guide me about when to change the gear oil for W211 E280 cdi as some forums I've seen say its for life but some recommend changing it. The car's done around 80k miles and its 7G transmission. I've gone through the service history and its never been changed before.

Thank you
    Initially mercedes brought in the 722.9 as for l
    The 722.9 is to be serviced around 40K mark. I have the Mercedes bulletin some where for that.

you MUST and absolutely MUST use only and ONLY mercedes's own oil in Pakistan.
    There are some replacement oils available, however I would not trust their source and buy the original from the dealer.

Now, changing oil in 722.9 is not as simple as the older .6.

1. you MUST change the oil pan if it is not changed already.
    2. remember that the Al bolts are for one time use only; they must be replaced.
    3. you MUST observe the oil once it is drained; it will tell you a lot about metal condition.
    4. The oil change requires a proper pump assembly which must be surgically cleaned.
    5. Ensure that the torque convertor and the radiator's oil are drained.

Lastly, I suggest please go see the dealer;
    the 722.9 is notorious for it's service and if any one mistake is made you will have a dead electronics pack and a 150,000 bill for a used one + the service cost.

best regards

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    the 7G tronic gearbox shifts and performs really really good, the problems with it usually were the EGS (electronic gearbox system) module. The painful part here is that its part of the valve body, the good news is that MB now sell it separately too - previously this was a 900 Euro part complete with valve body - now its a 300 euro part - but it can only be written via a STAR unit after it has been installed in the vehicle.

To fill it you need to buy the fill adapter or make the fill adapter. Meaning that it has no topside fill port (like the dipstick pipe on older ones) - this one is filled from the drain port - the correct level of ATF is measured from the same fill/drain port - the port has a piece in it that causes the sump not to drain at a certain level. It is measured at ATF temperature only and immediately corrected.

the SBC brakes have a timer built into them that expire and will require a new SBC unit - If the car is equipped with SBC and your mechanics are not familiar with this system - please study it and show them how to take safety steps - the SBC will engage and operate the brakes when the pads are being changed unless it was disabled.

It has great force and can completely cut off fingers if they get caught in the calipers.
    1. EGS = Electronic gear selector

2. Even if a used valve body is found, it is not as simple as hooking up with star.
    He will need a viriginized valve body, you need a different tool to make it virginized
    After which he will need a offline enabled star system 2014/07 to perform the job.

@OP if the turbine sensor is shot , you need to cough up a lot of money .. Ouch !

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for the detailed insight. I've got this problem solved now but recently the seat adjustor's switch has come off and am not able to fix that back.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bk7690 View Post
    Thanks for the detailed insight. I've got this problem solved now but recently the seat adjustor's switch has come off and am not able to fix that back.
    It is a persistent problem;

It came off on my 140, and mercedes didn't sell the parts separately.
    you need those white plastic latches. See if you can source them from the breakers or maybe new.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List