Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Mercedes Benz differential oil periodic change?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Mercedes Benz differential oil periodic change?

My brother has a C180 Kompressor Avantgarde 2006 in immaculate condition. The car is near 100k km driven.
    It is Shahnawaz maintained with complete service history. When it was imported from UK complete periodic maintenance was done from Shahnawaz. The other day we were looking at the service history and found out that the rear axle differential oil wasn't replaced. So my brother called Shahnawaz Islamabad and asked what's the periodic replacement schedule for the differential oil, their reply was surprising, ''is your vehicle causing any trouble or noise, he said 'no', it's not periodically replaced rather its lifetime.''
    Then we called Shahnawaz Karachi and got a similar reply.

I would like to have an expert opinion on this, whether differential oil of this particular model replaced periodically or not?
    If someone has maintenance booklet of the particular model he may share the image please.
    If what Shahnawaz saying is correct, please elaborate the logic/ reason, since my understanding is that as differential is a mechanical part the oil should get dirty with time and also if at all it doesn't get dirty, every oil has a life and after that it looses its chemical properties.
    Please help.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

differential oil change is necessary only if there has been a leak or repair done over the unit. If it is running trouble free stay calm & enjoy the ride
    @Xulfiqar @syncview @SER_GTR @argtr65
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AffaanAlAziz1 View Post
    My brother has a C180 Kompressor Avantgarde 2006 in immaculate condition. The car is near 100k km driven.
    It is Shahnawaz maintained with complete service history. When it was imported from UK complete periodic maintenance was done from Shahnawaz. The other day we were looking at the service history and found out that the rear axle differential oil wasn't replaced. So my brother called Shahnawaz Islamabad and asked what's the periodic replacement schedule for the differential oil, their reply was surprising, ''is your vehicle causing any trouble or noise, he said 'no', it's not periodically replaced rather its lifetime.''
    Then we called Shahnawaz Karachi and got a similar reply.

I would like to have an expert opinion on this, whether differential oil of this particular model replaced periodically or not?
    If someone has maintenance booklet of the particular model he may share the image please.
    If what Shahnawaz saying is correct, please elaborate the logic/ reason, since my understanding is that as differential is a mechanical part the oil should get dirty with time and also if at all it doesn't get dirty, every oil has a life and after that it looses its chemical properties.
    Please help.
    1st Oil Change Was Recommended Quick Change As Per My Understanding....All Metal Breaked Particles Will Be Drained After Initial Change..Then It Was Recommended To Change Around 50k Km

I Don't Think It Never Need A Change Because Its Oil And Will Eventually Be Running Under Extreme Conditions...Question Is Why Most Of People Fear To Change Diff /Gearbox Oil( Common Desi Myth/Fear)

Because People Have Changed And Then Horrible Things Have Happened...Why??

Because People Take Oil As Just OIL .....Using Correct Grade Oil/Viscosity Is The Key Here....If You Go For Wrong One...You Will Mess Up Your Diff Or Gearbox In No Time.....!

That's Why Oil Change Is Recommended But You Should Get Manufacture Recommended Oil Not Any Chunnu Munnu Mechanic's Expert

Advice One...!

LSD Diff Use Special Grade Oil...So Owner Should Make Sure To Know Correct Recommended Oil Grade And Find It....!

Its A Common Myth To Use Diff Oil/MT Gearbox Oil Till You Wear It Off...Else No Need To Change...!
    TOYOTA Sprinter 86- AE80 DOHC 20v'D TOYOTA Corolla 98- AE101 4AFE 16v

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post
    differential oil change is necessary only if there has been a leak or repair done over the unit. If it is running trouble free stay calm & enjoy the ride
    @Xulfiqar @syncview @SER_GTR @argtr65
    Thanks bros. Why doesn't it require periodic replacement like ATF PSF Break oil etc?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i have a w203 and mine is 140k km driven, i had the differential fluid changed at shahnawaz, i think i did it on time as the fluid came out dirty and smelly although mine also had ablsoutley no issues or leaks, the original MB fluid is costly though costed me 15k for 1.2 litre for the job,

generally on international forums expert says if the car is around 10 year old or approaching 150k its a good idea to change it, just do the job properly.

i haven't felt much of a difference in drive, maybe a but smoother in application of power when making a Uturn. ill say it s good idea to change it.

i dont think its a myth, people just dont know about such things and as far as MB goes they even said that there gearboxes are filled for life but we know thats not true. factory filled oil is plain mineral oil in MB differential not even synethhiec, like any oil after many years it is going to break down especially since its mineral but of a very high quality with certain addictives.
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

when a geartrain is brand new it will shed the most amount of debris in the first 20,000 kms. MB make really really nice n smooth diffys and fill them with nice oil too - which honestly is overfilled IMO (just like everything on the car, e.g. double the regular quantity of engine oil to a massive starting battery)

A good idea is to change the oil anytime it gets mixed with water or gets some dirt in it or burns out from overheating (mismatched tires left to right, breather damaged etc). Under good conditions I have seen and serviced a bunch of these cars and the original fill was pretty dark n dirty, MB specify a regular (but heavily dosed) gear oil for their open diffys and after a change - you can inspect it after 50,000 kms - it will be shiny as the day you put it in.

I personally use a nice synthetic blend gear lube in the USA, In Pakistan I bought Mobil1 gear oil from Mobil Askari lubes. You can choose to buy it from Mercedes Benz (at a price) - but make sure that you are choosing the right oil (sometimes the guys at shahnawaz ltd are also lost in their heads)

Its a very long specced oil. dont overdo it though.

addendum - MB do specify a synthetic lube in frigid areas or extreme hot areas (desert) and on some high end cars to quieten gear noise.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arzaam.bhatti View Post
    i have a w203 and mine is 140k km driven, i had the differential fluid changed at shahnawaz, i think i did it on time as the fluid came out dirty and smelly although mine also had ablsoutley no issues or leaks, the original MB fluid is costly though costed me 15k for 1.2 litre for the job,

generally on international forums expert says if the car is around 10 year old or approaching 150k its a good idea to change it, just do the job properly.

i haven't felt much of a difference in drive, maybe a but smoother in application of power when making a Uturn. ill say it s good idea to change it.

i dont think its a myth, people just dont know about such things and as far as MB goes they even said that there gearboxes are filled for life but we know thats not true. factory filled oil is plain mineral oil in MB differential not even synethhiec, like any oil after many years it is going to break down especially since its mineral but of a very high quality with certain addictives.
    Thanks bros.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    when a geartrain is brand new it will shed the most amount of debris in the first 20,000 kms. MB make really really nice n smooth diffys and fill them with nice oil too - which honestly is overfilled IMO (just like everything on the car, e.g. double the regular quantity of engine oil to a massive starting battery)

A good idea is to change the oil anytime it gets mixed with water or gets some dirt in it or burns out from overheating (mismatched tires left to right, breather damaged etc). Under good conditions I have seen and serviced a bunch of these cars and the original fill was pretty dark n dirty, MB specify a regular (but heavily dosed) gear oil for their open diffys and after a change - you can inspect it after 50,000 kms - it will be shiny as the day you put it in.

I personally use a nice synthetic blend gear lube in the USA, In Pakistan I bought Mobil1 gear oil from Mobil Askari lubes. You can choose to buy it from Mercedes Benz (at a price) - but make sure that you are choosing the right oil (sometimes the guys at shahnawaz ltd are also lost in their heads)

Its a very long specced oil. dont overdo it though.

addendum - MB do specify a synthetic lube in frigid areas or extreme hot areas (desert) and on some high end cars to quieten gear noise.
    Thanks bros. Lovely review.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar @arzaam.bhatti @SER_GTR @capsat
    the car is like new and drives perfect. however it's 9-10 years old, should we go for differential oil replacement?
    a Mercedes mechanic in sadar advised not to change it! and said "GOONJ PAIDA HO JAEY GI".
    what should we do?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I've searched on google, MB maintenance booklets do talk about replacing transmission fluids at 80k miles or 8 years but they are quiet about rear axle differential oil replacement except for AMG versions.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the car is like new and drives perfect. however it's 9-10 years old, should we go for differential oil replacement?
    a Mercedes mechanic in sadar advised not to change it! and said "GOONJ PAIDA HO JAEY GI".
    what should we do?
    Yes Thats Common As They Fear Abt Not Using Proper Oil Which Result In Mess

So Your Best Bet Is To Check And Inspect Oil As Xulfi Bhai Said And Decide Accordingly!

If You Have Complete History You Shld Have Known Abt Its Oil Being Change In Initial Times....If Not Then Its Recommended To Inspect And Change If Necessary....If Its Changed Then You Have Less To Worry About

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SER_GTR View Post
    Yes Thats Common As They Fear Abt Not Using Proper Oil Which Result In Mess

So Your Best Bet Is To Check And Inspect Oil As Xulfi Bhai Said And Decide Accordingly!

If You Have Complete History You Shld Have Known Abt Its Oil Being Change In Initial Times....If Not Then Its Recommended To Inspect And Change If Necessary....If Its Changed Then You Have Less To Worry About
    It's never changed. same original 9+ years old. or the MB diffy oil turns more gold with time

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

what should we do?
    I would say how long do you want to keep the car

If you want to keep the car for more than two years then replace it,
    It will be good for the car in long run, make sure to use the correct fluid and correct tool to open the fill nut as well as to not damage it then there will be no harm, inspect the new fluid yourself don't blindly rely on Shahnawaz

If you don't intend to keep the car long then there should be no harm in running the original fluid for now for a year or two

I intended to keep my car for the long time and went for it, there were no horror stories afterwards. I also heard similar criticism form local so called ustaads

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It's never changed. same original 9+ years old. or the MB diffy oil turns more gold with time
    I Suggest You Better Check The Oil Condition As Its Never Changed In 100k Km Drive Whereas Its Good To Change In Early 10-20k Km To Clear Any Metal Break If Any....!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Get the differential opened and oil inspected. If it requires changing, change it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If you have never changed differential oil as yet,then leave it,just check level and top up if required.its my experience replacement of differential oil just for nothing will result in humming noise as ustaad jee said gounge.
    Never loose hope in life,every step gives u something.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I would say how long do you want to keep the car

If you want to keep the car for more than two years then replace it,
    It will be good for the car in long run, make sure to use the correct fluid and correct tool to open the fill nut as well as to not damage it then there will be no harm, inspect the new fluid yourself don't blindly rely on Shahnawaz

If you don't intend to keep the car long then there should be no harm in running the original fluid for now for a year or two

I intended to keep my car for the long time and went for it, there were no horror stories afterwards. I also heard similar criticism form local so called ustaads

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    Thanks bhai. Now I'm clear headed.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

get some fresh oil and change it. - make sure to do it when the car is level, the diffy is hot (so it can drain faster and carry the debris out too)

when changing make absolutely 500% sure that you open the fill plug first. If you cannot open the fill plug then dont open the drain plug. you wont be able to get new oil in there without removing the fill plug.

while at it, check the breather vent on the top. remove and clean it out. Its a little air filter for the differential.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    get some fresh oil and change it. - make sure to do it when the car is level, the diffy is hot (so it can drain faster and carry the debris out too)

when changing make absolutely 500% sure that you open the fill plug first. If you cannot open the fill plug then dont open the drain plug. you wont be able to get new oil in there without removing the fill plug.

while at it, check the breather vent on the top. remove and clean it out. Its a little air filter for the differential.
    Great help zulfiqar bhai. Thanks.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@capsat, @Xulfiqar, @syncview, @SER_GTR, @argtr65

I am hearing some goonj like Ko’n Ko’n Ko’n Ko’n Ko’n from my car since last 3~4 days. It only comes from speed 45Km/h to 75Km/h. It doesn’t make any sound before and after this speed range.

Have checked the front wheel bearing to two different mechanics and they confirmed these are OK and its not wheel bearing noise. Because if it, then it has to be continous even at the slow, mid and high speeds.

Third mechanic advised me to check the differential oil. I said OK but did not let him open it yet. However this thread is so helpful indeed. So i want to discuss my situation.

Vehicle details are
    Toyota Crown
    JZS143R
    3.0L, 2JZGE I6
    24V, DOHC EFI
    RWD, AT

Am having this car like 6 months and have not changed the gear oil because its color is still slightly red.

From ZIC Oil guide, they recommend ZIC G-5, 80W-90 Gear oil, TO USE IN DIFFERENTIAL.

I checked and availability of this oil is rare. And not sure either that its (ZIC G-5, 80w-90 gear oil) suitable oil for it or not?
    Hence I need your guidance here plz.
    Be Addicted To Help Others.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

User Tag List