Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: @Xulfiqar Sb: Bought c180 98 model (my 1st Merc) Help with startup maintenance/repair

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default @Xulfiqar Sb: Bought c180 98 model. Need help with maintenance/repair.

@Xulfiqar Sb:
    I have seen lots of threads and lots of posts and am deeply impressed by your knowledge of vehicles. I am trying to browse through but things are so spread about that it is confusion. Moreover, perhaps every case is different and need specialized help, at least for the first time.

This Monday, I bought a c180 98, Elegance Model with 93K miles (allegedly) on the odo. In driving for these 3 days I have jotted up a list of my observations, some serious, I believe. I need your expert advice on it. Here is the list of serious observations:

[Post Edited with problems listed as solved/unsolved. The details of how a problem was solved is spread all over the many pages and posts. Please delve into the thread for details.]

SOLVED PROBLEMS WITH CAUSES AND REMEDIES:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Vibration in D, Cause: One engine mount was cut, replaced.
    2. Temp gauge does not get to half point, Cause: T-stat valve was jammed, replaced.
    3. Fluids replaced = Engine Oil and Transmission oil.
    4. Vibration in steering at all speeds, Causes: Mountings (changed), warped rotors, machined, balancing and alignment done. New steering shock installed.
    5. Rear Left Window does not close with button on door, Cause: Button faulty, replaced.
    6. Random HVAC blower speed: Ordered HVAC control unit from eBay. Fitted and working fine. No more issue.
    7. Broken Cruise Control: Ordered from eBay. Fitted and working fine.
    8. SRS AIRBAG Warning Light in Dash, Cause: Star scan tool (at Papu ustad, Pindi) told about two crash sensors (one under each front seat) to be faulty (or their connection is faulty). Shop gave a price of Rs.7,000 for 2 but I see that used are cheaply available on eBay. Would order two soon.
    9. Left handbrake shoe friction sound. I fitted new handbrake shoes and thought it needed adjustment. However, it turned out, after 5 tries at it, that the lug nuts on the wheels were of slightly varying length. The longer ones would brush on the handbrake clip that expands the mechanism. Older one was damaged. Got it replaced. Sound started coming after few days. I swapped some lug nuts from other wheels. It is peace ever since!
    10. Intermittent Windows -- Passenger and Driver side windows would not operate after few days of reset in any order. I suspected the rear-left window control module, opened the door cover to find that there is no window control module there! So this must not be the cause.
    Recently, I cleaned all the electric ground points in the vehicle. The issue of intermittent windows had reduced a great deal. More so, because before starting the vehicle, I operate all windows (first point in ignition).
    11. COOLANT VANISHING -- I needed to add 1 L in like 2 weeks (driving 300 miles). The cause was a leaky radiator. In summers the problem increased until I saw coolant drops beneath an idling car. Previous radiator was corroded with use of wrong coolant. Radiator replaced with a good condition exact part (Behr) from a half-cut. Coolant used would definitely be as per spec or MB.

UNSOLVED PROBLEMS that are being debugged:
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    12. Relay clicking type sound behind key:
    The sound can start anytime but luckily not too often. Usually in peaceful driving it would be calm. Sometimes when I take some action like press brake pedal, turn on indicator, it will start clicking. I can feel the throbbing when I touch the key. Would start and stop itself.
    I have found out that whenever that clicking sound is heard, horn won't blow. Conversely when the horn does not blow, there are chances of those clicking sounds. When the horn blows, there won't be any clicking sound in that drive. Still trying to solicit the cause in a deterministic way.
    13. Sudden Downshift Jerk: Sometimes after driving the vehicle for a long time, like one hour, when slowing down because of mild braking (to a speed for which 1st gear may be needed) the car shifts into 1st gear very hardly.
    Kindly please advise. I am a keeper since I am a busy person. The car I was driving before this is with me for 9 years. For once, I want this car to be in a state that I know how things are. Thank you in anticipation and sorry for trouble.

@Xulfiqar Sb Bought c180 98 model my 1st Merc Help wi startup maintenancerepair -1636367

PS: Car is with me for 6 months now, with 99,000 miles on Odo. (21 May, 2016)
    Aamer

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by x2 View Post
    @Xulfiqar Sb:
    I have seen lots of threads and lots of posts and am deeply impressed by your knowledge of vehicles. I am trying to browse through but things are so spread about that it is confusion. Moreover, perhaps every case is different and need specialized help, at least for the first time.

This Monday, I bought a c180 98, Elegance Model with 93K miles (allegedly) on the odo. In driving for these 3 days I have jotted up a list of my observations, some serious, I believe. I need your expert advice on it. Here is the list of serious observations:

1 VIBRATION IN D
    Car's body has vibration when in D. No vibration in R. No vibration in N or P.
    2 SUDDEN DOWNSHIFT JERK
    When suddenly downshifting (like when accelerating and then suddenly braking) car gives a very noticeable jerk. Feels bad.
    3 TEMP GAUGE DOES NOT GET TO HALF POINT
    Car does not heat up to 80C quickly so heater also does not work until it heats up to 80C
    4 FIRST TIME FLUID CHECK
    I think it is good to know the state of each fluid. Should I change all?
    5 SHOCKS
    Shocks be inspected.
    6 WHEEL BALANCING
    Steering vibrates at 100kph.
    7 LEFT SIDE MIRROR
    not being electronically controlled.
    8 PASSENGER SIDE WINDOW
    not being electronically operated.
    9 REAR LEFT WINDOW
    does not go up with button on door.
    10 RANDOM BLOWER SPEED
    The blower speed slows or fasten at any number (0-5) randomly!
    11 BULB WARNING LIGHT IN DASH
    Lights up at some point in driving and does not go off.
    12 SRS AIRBAG WARNING LIGHT IN DASH
    Was there at the time of purchase. Seller said he got the horn repaired. Horn blows.
    13 RELAY TYPE NOISE BEHIND CONSOLE
    Under the glove box or behind the console/controls, sometimes a sound like a relay operating 3 - 4 times is heard at random.

Kindly please advise.
    I am a keeper since I am a busy person. The car I was driving before this is with me for 9 years. For once, I want this car to be in a state that I know how things are.

Thank you in anticipation and sorry for trouble.

Some exterior pictures of the car.

Other w202 users/experts can also comment, please.

Aamer

Congratulation on your purchase? how much did it cost you if you don't mind mentioning here! and did the seller told you about all the above issues or were they ignored upon sale/purchase?

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

These things might have been there. Nothing goes against seller. I should have checked thoroughly. Car was bought for 10.25 Lac.
    Aamer

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Whenever buying any merc, pay more n get one with full service history. They are built to last. By paying more for a better car you will end up saving.
    Your grandchildren will likely find it incredible - or even sinful - that you burned up a gallon of gasoline to fetch a pack of cigarettes!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Congratez on your purchase for problem your facing
    1)&2) check engine mounts
    3)your car t.valve is removed install it as its important for engine long life
    5)best way to check suspension is forcely push your car downward and see if it bounce more than 1.5 time
    6)wheel balancing on Mercedes is done with special tools through the five dot that are present on your cars alloys

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar Sb:

1 VIBRATION IN D
    Car's body has vibration when in D. No vibration in R. No vibration in N or P.
    2 SUDDEN DOWNSHIFT JERK
    When suddenly downshifting (like when accelerating and then suddenly braking) car gives a very noticeable jerk. Feels bad.
    3 TEMP GAUGE DOES NOT GET TO HALF POINT
    Car does not heat up to 80C quickly so heater also does not work until it heats up to 80C
    4 FIRST TIME FLUID CHECK
    I think it is good to know the state of each fluid. Should I change all?
    5 SHOCKS
    Shocks be inspected.
    6 WHEEL BALANCING
    Steering vibrates at 100kph.
    7 LEFT SIDE MIRROR
    not being electronically controlled.
    8 PASSENGER SIDE WINDOW
    not being electronically operated.
    9 REAR LEFT WINDOW
    does not go up with button on door.
    10 RANDOM BLOWER SPEED
    The blower speed slows or fasten at any number (0-5) randomly!
    11 BULB WARNING LIGHT IN DASH
    Lights up at some point in driving and does not go off.
    12 SRS AIRBAG WARNING LIGHT IN DASH
    Was there at the time of purchase. Seller said he got the horn repaired. Horn blows.
    13 RELAY TYPE NOISE BEHIND CONSOLE
    Under the glove box or behind the console/controls, sometimes a sound like a relay operating 3 - 4 times is heard at random.

Kindly please advise.
    I am a keeper since I am a busy person. The car I was driving before this is with me for 9 years. For once, I want this car to be in a state that I know how things are.

Thank you in anticipation and sorry for trouble.

Other w202 users/experts can also comment, please.

Aamer

Your problems are listed as

vibration while in D (check engine mounts)
    jerk while decel (check engine mount and driveshaft couplers too)
    temp gauge reading cold (inspect thermostat - replace with new and fill with good MB coolant)
    shocks (bilstein shocks last a very long time - check bushings rather than shocks)
    vibration at 100 km/h (check front control arm bushings - if they are shot the car will vibrate on bad tires)

for the window and mirror - check the wiring plug near the kickpanel, both items being out of service means the main plug is disconnected.

rear window switch not working - ensure that the childlock feature is off (the button should be lit) - if its not lit, it wont work, if its lit and doesnt work, the switch is dirty.

random blower speed usually means the blower control is going out - what system is on the panel, full automatic or knob type?

test the system for SRS errors, you will need a high end scan tool to test it from the 38 pin port in the engine bay fuse box junction.
    clicking noise from behind glove box? - are you sure its not coming from the engine room?
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you @Xulfiqar Sb. Yesterday due to the graciousness of @Haroon_Tarar sb, we went to Chand (on earth though) and got lots of things fixed. However, the car started missing (someone) suddenly when near home. Will take him to the guy today too.
    I will post back the situation tonight.
    @Xulfiqar Sb: Blower is knob type. The guy said we would need to open it up and he will try to fix and if not fixed, had to be replaced. I am not sure of the costs of the whole panel?

The scan was done but every error was cleared except the SRS one. He said come back with more time at hand and we will see.

One very worrying (for me) thing is the accel/deccel (cruise control) lever which is sort of 'fallen' and probably is not functional, except that an orange light glows when pushed inwards. I am not sure if it was like this since the start or I teased it a bit too much in attempts to turn on the left indicator!!

Thank you everyone for your replies.

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yesterday, we got the following work done:

1. Transmission Oil (Automatik-Getriebeol ATF 134) changed (7 Litres) = Rs.15,050
    2. Transmission Filter (MAHLE KL 2) changed = Rs.1,200
    3. Transmission Gasket -- changed = Rs. 1,200
    4. Engine Oil (Mobil 1) changed (6 Litres) = Rs.8,300
    5. Engine Oil Filter (Hengst) changed = Rs.850
    6. Fuel Filter () changed = Rs. 1,600
    7. Air Filter (Hengst) cahnged = Rs.1,800
    8. Spark Plugs changed = Rs.1,200
    9. Engine Left Foundation (Kabuli) = Rs.5,000 (for vibration on idling, transmission foundation was new)
    10. Controller for Passenger Window + Left Back Mirror (not new) = Rs.5,000
    11. Button for rear left window (not new) = Rs.500
    12. Electrician Labour = Rs.1,000
    13. Mechanic Labour = Rs.4,000
    14. Petrol + Diesel (for engine cleaning) = Rs.300 (although I think I am not going for such cleaning again)
    15. Throttle cleaner spray = Rs.450
    16. Thermostat Valve for radiator = Rs.1,000 (car was not heating up to 80C)

Now the situation is what remained after the service is:

1. jerk while decel (check engine mount and driveshaft couplers too)
    2. vibration at 100 km/h (check front control arm bushings - if they are shot the car will vibrate on bad tires)
    3. random blower speed usually means the blower control is going out - what system is on the panel, full automatic or knob type?
    4. test the system for SRS errors, you will need a high end scan tool to test it from the 38 pin port in the engine bay fuse box junction.

Rest after another visit in the evening.

Aamer

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The missing was a malfunctioning coil. Got it replaced for Rs.3,000.

Total paid on initial service/repair = Rs.51,000 (after some discount, somewhere).

Now things are much better. And in all this I deeply owe the support by @Haroon_Tarar Sb! I am deeply touched by how much he cares. Though, we had not met before this Monday! I am greatly indebted.
    @Xulfiqar Sb: I would probably drive now for sometime and see how things are. Will change tyres after a while and then go for balancing and/or alignment, InShaAllah.

If you find time, please suggest how long do you think the following things should last, typically. I provide the figures that I learnt from the mechanic.
    1. Engine Oil + filter = 5000 miles or 8000 km = 1 Oil Change (1OC)
    2. Transmission Oil + filter + gasket = 50,000+ km or 7OC
    3. Fuel filter = 30,000 km or 4OC [I am using HiOctane, or 50-50]
    4. Air filter = 16,000 km or 2OC
    5. Spark Plugs = 40,000 km or 5OC

Aamer

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

love this color combination,may i suggest u reset the gear box and change the engine mounts with the transmission mount as they cost 6500 + 1400
    "Stand by your glasses steady and drink to your comrade's eyes.
    Here's a toast to the dead already and hurrah for the next to die."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nice car. Allah naseeb kre. Amen

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear All. Passenger Window / side mirror were not being controlled. So this got changed 2 days ago. Today it has stopped working again! Any ideas?

Aamer

@Xulfiqar Sb Bought c180 98 model my 1st Merc Help wi startup maintenancerepair -1637078

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

disconnect battery wait for 5 min (donot close the trunk)
    1.Reconnect
    2.Start
    3.Press down button the window should go down
    4.Press up button and when the window is fully closed keep it pressed for 3 secs
    5.Follow this procedure for all windows

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yesterday, we got the following work done:

1. Transmission Oil (Automatik-Getriebeol ATF 134) changed (7 Litres) = Rs.15,050
    2. Transmission Filter (MAHLE KL 2) changed = Rs.1,200
    3. Transmission Gasket -- changed = Rs. 1,200
    4. Engine Oil (Mobil 1) changed (6 Litres) = Rs.8,300
    5. Engine Oil Filter (Hengst) changed = Rs.850
    6. Fuel Filter () changed = Rs. 1,600
    7. Air Filter (Hengst) cahnged = Rs.1,800
    8. Spark Plugs changed = Rs.1,200
    9. Engine Left Foundation (Kabuli) = Rs.5,000 (for vibration on idling, transmission foundation was new)
    10. Controller for Passenger Window + Left Back Mirror (not new) = Rs.5,000
    11. Button for rear left window (not new) = Rs.500
    12. Electrician Labour = Rs.1,000
    13. Mechanic Labour = Rs.4,000
    14. Petrol + Diesel (for engine cleaning) = Rs.300 (although I think I am not going for such cleaning again)
    15. Throttle cleaner spray = Rs.450
    16. Thermostat Valve for radiator = Rs.1,000 (car was not heating up to 80C)

Now the situation is what remained after the service is:

1. jerk while decel (check engine mount and driveshaft couplers too)
    2. vibration at 100 km/h (check front control arm bushings - if they are shot the car will vibrate on bad tires)
    3. random blower speed usually means the blower control is going out - what system is on the panel, full automatic or knob type?
    4. test the system for SRS errors, you will need a high end scan tool to test it from the 38 pin port in the engine bay fuse box junction.

Rest after another visit in the evening.

Aamer
    7 litres ATF for 15,000/- ????? - damn,

ATF 134 should be cheap - as in regular ATF priced across the world. The trans filter is shipped as a kit with gasket if aftermarket - the parts sellers in Pakistan sell it in 2 pieces to make more money.

you installed a used engine mount? - its a very bad idea - they usually are bad. items like mounts are best installed new.

engine oil is about right price - if you filled in mobil1 0w40. I also see you put in a new thermostat, good - but considering the condition of the car (according to your statements) - it would have been top priority to change the engine coolant too. genuine MB coolant or BASF Glysantin G-05 (factory fill of your car) or BASF Glystantin G48 (new formula) of 50% concentration.

being in Pakistan - and if I had seen this car - I would have flushed the brakes and inspected the front bearing grease condition. If its factory fill - it would be hard like wax now (expired grease) - a refresh of the grease makes them last a lot lot longer. They are very simple tapered bearings (the same type you find on very old RWD cars - aka cone catori type) - make sure to use a good high temperature grease like mobil XHP 222 in there
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Atf for my w211 costed me more for same amount, also they charged me seperate for filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Your grandchildren will likely find it incredible - or even sinful - that you burned up a gallon of gasoline to fetch a pack of cigarettes!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

17000atf 2400 filter 2200 packing

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ATF 134 is supposed to be cheap - and if you guys are paying that much for it, then ask for the original spec 236.10 oil. The 722.6 gearbox is also serviced with multivehicle variety automatic transmission fluid like liquimoly or Mobil sell.

filter kit from MANN or Hengst goes for about USD 15/- in retail, the Filtran branded kit goes for USD 25/- both come with the rubber gasket in the box.

these prices are almost uniform globally.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

btw -

one more thing, I dont see any details of the gearbox electrical connector being replaced/renewed. Its a known weak point in these units.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    btw -

one more thing, I dont see any details of the gearbox electrical connector being replaced/renewed. Its a known weak point in these units.
    u mean this thing
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Marschall View Post
    u mean this thing
    yes this thing,

its part number has been superseded twice, the original one came with white sealing rings, which leaked after a while, the repalcement came with red sealing rings. the latest one has thick black O rings and takes quite a push to get in the bore. I use transmission gel to seat it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

User Tag List