Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: @Xulfiqar Sb: Bought c180 98 model (my 1st Merc) Help with startup maintenance/repair

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default @Xulfiqar Sb: Bought c180 98 model. Need help with maintenance/repair.

@Xulfiqar Sb:
    I have seen lots of threads and lots of posts and am deeply impressed by your knowledge of vehicles. I am trying to browse through but things are so spread about that it is confusion. Moreover, perhaps every case is different and need specialized help, at least for the first time.

This Monday, I bought a c180 98, Elegance Model with 93K miles (allegedly) on the odo. In driving for these 3 days I have jotted up a list of my observations, some serious, I believe. I need your expert advice on it. Here is the list of serious observations:

[Post Edited with problems listed as solved/unsolved. The details of how a problem was solved is spread all over the many pages and posts. Please delve into the thread for details.]

SOLVED PROBLEMS WITH CAUSES AND REMEDIES:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Vibration in D, Cause: One engine mount was cut, replaced.
    2. Temp gauge does not get to half point, Cause: T-stat valve was jammed, replaced.
    3. Fluids replaced = Engine Oil and Transmission oil.
    4. Vibration in steering at all speeds, Causes: Mountings (changed), warped rotors, machined, balancing and alignment done. New steering shock installed.
    5. Rear Left Window does not close with button on door, Cause: Button faulty, replaced.
    6. Random HVAC blower speed: Ordered HVAC control unit from eBay. Fitted and working fine. No more issue.
    7. Broken Cruise Control: Ordered from eBay. Fitted and working fine.
    8. SRS AIRBAG Warning Light in Dash, Cause: Star scan tool (at Papu ustad, Pindi) told about two crash sensors (one under each front seat) to be faulty (or their connection is faulty). Shop gave a price of Rs.7,000 for 2 but I see that used are cheaply available on eBay. Would order two soon.
    9. Left handbrake shoe friction sound. I fitted new handbrake shoes and thought it needed adjustment. However, it turned out, after 5 tries at it, that the lug nuts on the wheels were of slightly varying length. The longer ones would brush on the handbrake clip that expands the mechanism. Older one was damaged. Got it replaced. Sound started coming after few days. I swapped some lug nuts from other wheels. It is peace ever since!
    10. Intermittent Windows -- Passenger and Driver side windows would not operate after few days of reset in any order. I suspected the rear-left window control module, opened the door cover to find that there is no window control module there! So this must not be the cause.
    Recently, I cleaned all the electric ground points in the vehicle. The issue of intermittent windows had reduced a great deal. More so, because before starting the vehicle, I operate all windows (first point in ignition).
    11. COOLANT VANISHING -- I needed to add 1 L in like 2 weeks (driving 300 miles). The cause was a leaky radiator. In summers the problem increased until I saw coolant drops beneath an idling car. Previous radiator was corroded with use of wrong coolant. Radiator replaced with a good condition exact part (Behr) from a half-cut. Coolant used would definitely be as per spec or MB.

UNSOLVED PROBLEMS that are being debugged:
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    12. Relay clicking type sound behind key:
    The sound can start anytime but luckily not too often. Usually in peaceful driving it would be calm. Sometimes when I take some action like press brake pedal, turn on indicator, it will start clicking. I can feel the throbbing when I touch the key. Would start and stop itself.
    I have found out that whenever that clicking sound is heard, horn won't blow. Conversely when the horn does not blow, there are chances of those clicking sounds. When the horn blows, there won't be any clicking sound in that drive. Still trying to solicit the cause in a deterministic way.
    13. Sudden Downshift Jerk: Sometimes after driving the vehicle for a long time, like one hour, when slowing down because of mild braking (to a speed for which 1st gear may be needed) the car shifts into 1st gear very hardly.
    Kindly please advise. I am a keeper since I am a busy person. The car I was driving before this is with me for 9 years. For once, I want this car to be in a state that I know how things are. Thank you in anticipation and sorry for trouble.

@Xulfiqar Sb Bought c180 98 model my 1st Merc Help wi startup maintenancerepair -1636367

PS: Car is with me for 6 months now, with 99,000 miles on Odo. (21 May, 2016)
    Aamer

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by x2 View Post
    @Xulfiqar - Re: hard 2 to 1 downshift.

I thought this issue got resolved but I just found that this hard down shift comes into action after driving the car for like 1 hour and 15 minutes or more. It does not happen for a drive of less than 1 hour, whence things remain smooth and fine.

My commute reduced to less than an hour so I did not notice it for quite a while until a friend came from abroad and I had to take him around in the city for some visits. After driving around for like 2 hours, the hard 2 - 1 downshift recurred.

I wonder what causes this strange behaviour!

My personal (layman) idea is that this has to do with the transmission-system 'heating up' beyond a certain temperature (what else can 'time' effect) triggering something to malfunction causing this erratic behaviour.

Some of my searches on the Internet suggests that the issue may be with conductor plate (and speed sensing). The poster suggested that he got that changed and everything resolved.
    Transmission vibration - Mercedes-Benz Forum

I guess, I need to check the transmission oil level. Then to check the transmission fluid cooling system (how to do that). What else?
    Would diagnostics help?
    Get it star diagnosed again you will probably be having a transmission module code error get it diagnosed and later reset ur transmission manually ,should work
    "Stand by your glasses steady and drink to your comrade's eyes.
    Here's a toast to the dead already and hurrah for the next to die."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

pedal reset will only reset the pedal adaptation - the trans learns the driver's preference and saves such accordingly. Meaning - this will happen again after a while.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Very Interesting thread, Kudos to @x2 and to the legendary @xulfiqaar.

P.S " i had to put my fav season on hold to go through all 15 pages"

Any update @x2 (your nick reminds me of X2 from imran series novels)

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by black_accord View Post
    Very Interesting thread, Kudos to @x2 and to the legendary @xulfiqaar.

P.S " i had to put my fav season on hold to go through all 15 pages"

Any update @x2 (your nick reminds me of X2 from imran series novels)
    I will post updates and some new findings soon, InShaAllah. The car is a daily runner and I keep learning/debugging.

And you got the nick right, except that you might not have come to know of it by reading the works of the creator of the character. Try Imran Series of Ibn-e-Safi (if you hadn't already) and you will know how classic, real Imran and X2 were and that Mazhar Kaleem MA hasn't done justice with the characters.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Did u get the windows issue resolved?

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1. Coolant vanishing: Yesterday, I finally found the radiator leaking when I made a stop in the market with the car running. I will soon (before Ramzan InShaAllah) get it replaced. I have three options:
    1. Used Radiator by Papu ustad being sold to me for Rs.17k.
    2. Indus Autos think they can supply new German one to me for Rs. 19K.
    3. Waheed Autos think they can provide new German one for Rs.24k or so.
    Any suggestions on Radiator and anything to keep in mind?

2. MB Coolant: Subsequent to radiator change, I believe after verifying it is not reducing coolant, I should go for MB recommended coolant. Can someone guide me about specs, alternates, cost and where to find it.

3. Engine oil change: The vehicle has driven around 5,600 miles since oil change. It is time, I guess, to change it again. Previously got Mobil 1 5W50. Is it OK or should I switch to 0W40?
    @Marschall: I think I should check your recommended mechanic for all this work, and additionally for injector cleaning. When would be the best time to visit him (lesser rush)?

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Intermittent Windows Behaviour:
    My earlier findings to find the problematic controller was really not valid, I guess. So I took no action to date. Nonetheless I kept assessing the behaviour. When would something work and when would it stop to. By something I mean, the front two windows (and side mirrors) and the horn. Nothing else seems to take notice besides these 3 things (as windows and mirrors are being controlled by the same controller). In fact add the tick-tick noise from behind ignition (which someone I showed to said are the AC system motor sounds but I do not agree with him).

My previous finding was that the controller/module for rear-left window is faulty (removed fuse for it to see that the front windows kept working). Last time I was to Papu ustad/Behram, I asked Noman to check that. He removed the door board to find that there was no controller there! So probably the front one was controlling both front and back. I had already changed that when I bought the car but to no effect. Star Diagnostics show nothing for this.

The latest findings are:

1. The windows had been working perfectly OK for quite a while now. A small ritual I have followed is to lower windows before entering the car (with smart key) as the weather has become quite hot. The windows work well whenever I have done this before starting the car.

2. If the windows (one or both) are stuck (by not operating them before use), then over a two days weekend, they seem to get working again themselves.

In a nutshell, I am not really very troubled with windows, lately.

3. Behind ignition tick-tick does not sound always.

4. Whenever the behind-ignition tick-tick sounds, the horn does not blow. This happens at all times I have checked! Though it is not clear that when the horn does not blow, whether the tick-tick sounds or not.

This makes me suspicious about the clock-spring. @Xulfiqar Sb, do you find anything definitive here?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

For the radiator go to Abdul mateen pull it out of a half cut if it works u keep otherwise return it back.MB coolant 1 bottle is Rs.2100 at waheed autos my advice is to go for febi coolant get 4 bottles for Rs.4200 you can visit Majid call him a day prior but acutally injectors are not cleaned by him, he just removes them you will Have to go to Zeeshan who is nearby he will check your injectors first on the tubes then get them cleaned and recheck them.For oil go for Meguin or Liqui moly with engine flush.
    Ok now coming to the electric windows i think i have identified the issue,its the battery when it is weak or doesn't give the complete output the modules go haywire and start behaving this way.Khair i have foud out a desi hal will let you know on monday.

Also idk but my coolant is also vanishing maybe its the aircon

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Marschall: Who is Abdul Mateen and where to find him? Contacts?
    Though could not understand the 'half-cut' logic.

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yesterday, for the first time my car had a trail of (dried) leaked coolant beneath it so I thought it was about time to go for replacement.

Today I summed up my options:
    1. Abdul Mateen (G-12 Kashmir Highway, near Shinwari Restaurant, probably a big mercedes star visible from main road) - half cut = Rs.15,000.
    2. Nissen, Waheed Autos, need to order and would take 3 - 4 days, Rs.26,000.
    3. Papu Ustad (Benz Auto Works, Peshawar Road) - half cut - Rs.17,000 with fitting (after bargaining, had prior experience with them so wanted to go to them).
    Finally, I went to Papu Ustad.
    The removed Behr radiator (part number 2025002203) was pretty rusty and looked cracked from where the pipes begin. A torch light shone into it showed catastrophic rusting. The guy there (Junaid) said this happens when you do not use proper coolant!
    An exact replica Behr radiator they got from their godwon, looked in a pretty good condition. Rest Allah behtar janta hai. There might be ways to get them look good!

Now the question is:
    1. How many flushes to have and for how long before I switch to the coolant?
    2. Which coolant?

They had G48 and said it costs Rs.2150 for 1.5L. They said only one bottle is enough but I want to know what is right.

sul
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AOA Bro aap ki gaari kahan chalti rahi hai

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sul View Post
    AOA Bro aap ki gaari kahan chalti rahi hai
    Swal ki gharz o ghayat nahin samaj saka!

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Marschall:
    I am flushing cooling system these days. Want to know how to run the heater these days since when I set it to heater, it does not blow hot air. Is it some kind of intelligence that it senses ambient temperature? Or is it kind of stupidness! That is, something has gone bad?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Marschall:
    I am flushing cooling system these days. Want to know how to run the heater these days since when I set it to heater, it does not blow hot air. Is it some kind of intelligence that it senses ambient temperature? Or is it kind of stupidness! That is, something has gone bad?
    Your car has climate control?

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    Just Do It Your Self!!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@x2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jhPEfLI45s

Same thing happened with me just clean them

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ibn-e-Safi was the man, everything he wrote i loved it. period.
    A true genius.

I will post updates and some new findings soon, InShaAllah. The car is a daily runner and I keep learning/debugging.

And you got the nick right, except that you might not have come to know of it by reading the works of the creator of the character. Try Imran Series of Ibn-e-Safi (if you hadn't already) and you will know how classic, real Imran and X2 were and that Mazhar Kaleem MA hasn't done justice with the characters.

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by black_accord View Post
    Ibn-e-Safi was the man, everything he wrote i loved it. period.
    A true genius.
    Indeed. His works can compete with the works of any international writer. No wonder he was (and still is) a sensation in the sub-continent.

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by umarkhan1 View Post
    Your car has climate control?
    I guess no. It is not digital. It is knob based.

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Marschall View Post
    @x2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jhPEfLI45s

Same thing happened with me just clean them
    One day I set to the task of cleaning them. Could not open the fourth screw with my screwdriver. Abandoned the effort.
    Yesterday, I left university and was trying to push the car hard (130 km/h) when all of a sudden over zero-point the vents stopped blowing cold air. The rest of the 20 km journey was with windows down and loo coming in from the vents!

At night I thought to see if I can find something amiss before taking it to the mechanic.

Whether I turned the AC or not, the vents would blow warm air. I felt the two solenoids (as in the video). They were hot.

Does this mean, their cleaning is a must?
    Moreover, what should I use to clean them? Cannot figure out from the video.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sir their cleaning is a must but only for warm air.If your vents have stopped working i.e they are not throwing cold air but ur aircon is switched on there can be multiple reasons, mine was a punctured actuator,there could be a vacuum leak as well.
    Which vents are not blowing air?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

User Tag List