Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: @Xulfiqar Sb: Bought c180 98 model (my 1st Merc) Help with startup maintenance/repair

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default @Xulfiqar Sb: Bought c180 98 model. Need help with maintenance/repair.

@Xulfiqar Sb:
    I have seen lots of threads and lots of posts and am deeply impressed by your knowledge of vehicles. I am trying to browse through but things are so spread about that it is confusion. Moreover, perhaps every case is different and need specialized help, at least for the first time.

This Monday, I bought a c180 98, Elegance Model with 93K miles (allegedly) on the odo. In driving for these 3 days I have jotted up a list of my observations, some serious, I believe. I need your expert advice on it. Here is the list of serious observations:

[Post Edited with problems listed as solved/unsolved. The details of how a problem was solved is spread all over the many pages and posts. Please delve into the thread for details.]

SOLVED PROBLEMS WITH CAUSES AND REMEDIES:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Vibration in D, Cause: One engine mount was cut, replaced.
    2. Temp gauge does not get to half point, Cause: T-stat valve was jammed, replaced.
    3. Fluids replaced = Engine Oil and Transmission oil.
    4. Vibration in steering at all speeds, Causes: Mountings (changed), warped rotors, machined, balancing and alignment done. New steering shock installed.
    5. Rear Left Window does not close with button on door, Cause: Button faulty, replaced.
    6. Random HVAC blower speed: Ordered HVAC control unit from eBay. Fitted and working fine. No more issue.
    7. Broken Cruise Control: Ordered from eBay. Fitted and working fine.
    8. SRS AIRBAG Warning Light in Dash, Cause: Star scan tool (at Papu ustad, Pindi) told about two crash sensors (one under each front seat) to be faulty (or their connection is faulty). Shop gave a price of Rs.7,000 for 2 but I see that used are cheaply available on eBay. Would order two soon.
    9. Left handbrake shoe friction sound. I fitted new handbrake shoes and thought it needed adjustment. However, it turned out, after 5 tries at it, that the lug nuts on the wheels were of slightly varying length. The longer ones would brush on the handbrake clip that expands the mechanism. Older one was damaged. Got it replaced. Sound started coming after few days. I swapped some lug nuts from other wheels. It is peace ever since!
    10. Intermittent Windows -- Passenger and Driver side windows would not operate after few days of reset in any order. I suspected the rear-left window control module, opened the door cover to find that there is no window control module there! So this must not be the cause.
    Recently, I cleaned all the electric ground points in the vehicle. The issue of intermittent windows had reduced a great deal. More so, because before starting the vehicle, I operate all windows (first point in ignition).
    11. COOLANT VANISHING -- I needed to add 1 L in like 2 weeks (driving 300 miles). The cause was a leaky radiator. In summers the problem increased until I saw coolant drops beneath an idling car. Previous radiator was corroded with use of wrong coolant. Radiator replaced with a good condition exact part (Behr) from a half-cut. Coolant used would definitely be as per spec or MB.

UNSOLVED PROBLEMS that are being debugged:
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    12. Relay clicking type sound behind key:
    The sound can start anytime but luckily not too often. Usually in peaceful driving it would be calm. Sometimes when I take some action like press brake pedal, turn on indicator, it will start clicking. I can feel the throbbing when I touch the key. Would start and stop itself.
    I have found out that whenever that clicking sound is heard, horn won't blow. Conversely when the horn does not blow, there are chances of those clicking sounds. When the horn blows, there won't be any clicking sound in that drive. Still trying to solicit the cause in a deterministic way.
    13. Sudden Downshift Jerk: Sometimes after driving the vehicle for a long time, like one hour, when slowing down because of mild braking (to a speed for which 1st gear may be needed) the car shifts into 1st gear very hardly.
    Kindly please advise. I am a keeper since I am a busy person. The car I was driving before this is with me for 9 years. For once, I want this car to be in a state that I know how things are. Thank you in anticipation and sorry for trouble.

@Xulfiqar Sb Bought c180 98 model my 1st Merc Help wi startup maintenancerepair -1636367

PS: Car is with me for 6 months now, with 99,000 miles on Odo. (21 May, 2016)
    Aamer

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

plz share his contact details
    "Stand by your glasses steady and drink to your comrade's eyes.
    Here's a toast to the dead already and hurrah for the next to die."

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Marschall View Post
    plz share his contact details
    Abubakr, Universal Car AC, I&T center G-8/4.
    Cell: 0333-5527356, 0300-9192687

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Spark Plugs:
    One small bit. All this time (the 10 months the car had been with me) I have been driving around the OWS spark plugs. The original change was OWS and once when I sent my driver to bring in BOSCH plugs it ultimately turned out he brought back another set of OWS plugs.
    When next he went I asked him to bring the BOSCH ones. The other plugs got used in my khyber (now I am wondering if that is right too or not).
    At the time of fixing the oil level sensor O-rings (two: one small and one large, solicited from autohausAZ) we changed the plugs to BOSCH ones! Guess what, the mileage has improved from 8.5 km/L to 10km/L! However, this is the result of only the first fill up. The petrol was from Attock Petrol pump in H-8 (was not Hi-octane). Refilled from the same dispenser.

Moreover, the o-rings did not seem to stop the seepage. It continues. Any tip or should I get a new oil level sensor?

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I wonder what would be the best spark plugs to run on this machine since the ones listed on the sticker on the engine bar are not available.

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar Sb Bought c180 98 model my 1st Merc Help with startup maintenancerepair -1712188

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Go to sparkplug-crossreference.com and you would find many alternatives for the BOSCH ones.

Hope this helps!

\\\AMG

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi @x2 - this is indeed off-topic but I just wanted to confirm that how did you managed to get the items delivered through ebay. Can you please shed some light on it, as I also want to get some items from my car from ebay. Thanks in advance.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aay-aar View Post
    Hi @x2 - this is indeed off-topic but I just wanted to confirm that how did you managed to get the items delivered through ebay. Can you please shed some light on it, as I also want to get some items from my car from ebay. Thanks in advance.
    He enjoys the benefits associated with being a professor Right sir X2?

\\\AMG

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

That is right.
    Students and friends.
    AutohausAZ parts came to me through parents of a friend who went to spend summer in USA.
    I have been collecting/ordering parts from eBay for the past 3 - 4 months and would soon be reaching me through a student in a few days time, In Sha Allah.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@x2 were you noticing rough idles before the plug change? What prompted you do change them?

Or did you treat them to be a maintainence item ( which it is IMO) ?

\\\AMG

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicSynergy View Post
    @x2 were you noticing rough idles before the plug change? What prompted you do change them?
    Or did you treat them to be a maintainence item ( which it is IMO) ?
    From day 1 I had in my mind that the car is not running the recommended plugs so I had procured BOSCH plugs and was waiting for some work to come up to replace them. There weren't really any symptoms except that at times I felt the car was under powered and lagging. That has improved a bit.
    Rough idling etc can be attributed to misfiring and connectors problem too.

My psyche is to try to put in everything as recommended by the manufacturer. So I am going to order BOSCH replacement plugs to the OEM as mentioned on the engine bar. Hopefully they will arrive to me in Oct.
    @aay-aar: What are those items? If you can share with me, and if my contact can manage buying and carrying them (from Germany) we will try helping you out.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by x2 View Post
    From day 1 I had in my mind that the car is not running the recommended plugs so I had procured BOSCH plugs and was waiting for some work to come up to replace them. There weren't really any symptoms except that at times I felt the car was under powered and lagging. That has improved a bit.
    Rough idling etc can be attributed to misfiring and connectors problem too.

My psyche is to try to put in everything as recommended by the manufacturer. So I am going to order BOSCH replacement plugs to the OEM as mentioned on the engine bar. Hopefully they will arrive to me in Oct.
    @aay-aar: What are those items? If you can share with me, and if my contact can manage buying and carrying them (from Germany) we will try helping you out.
    Thank you so much for your offering, however; i have got Chevrolet joy and I am pretty much interested in buying some toolkits and rear spoiler for my car. I have also seen some accessories at ebay so i thought you're using some service which is dispatching the items from ebay to Pakistan.

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Just an update:
    Went to Majid Mechanic in Kamran Market Rwp (0321-5054125). The guy seems good and knowledgeable. I asked him about a problem and his answer was exactly what was my find after searching a lot on the Internet.
    The work done included:
    1) Tappet Cover gasket and Valve Seals (solicited new online from kfzteile2 GmbH for 30 Euros).
    2) Replaced the duo-valve with a used one with fine poppets online for 18 Euros.
    3) Replaced engine oil level sensor with old o-rings solicited used for 30 Euros. (Allegedly the old one was leaking from the electrical connector)
    4) Got new breather hose (DB) from Waheed Autos.
    5) Got cleaned the injectors with kerosine.
    6) New fuel/gas cap seal for $13.23.
    7) New key FOB cover for 5 Euros.

A full tank later, the mileage figure that I got was 10.1 km/L. I still believe it should give 11+ km/L on the route I drive and the way I drive.

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Majid, the mechanic to whom I recently went, allegedly after knowing that I solicited some parts online, wishes me to help him buy a Star Diagnostic System. When I look at the Internet, the numerous types of systems (especially the presence of Chinese stuff) and their different prices make it difficult for a first timer like me to decided which one is the 'right' one.
    Can someone help solicit a used, not too expensive 'right one' that has 'all' or 'most' of the features? @Xulfiqar

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

He is completely Lalu when it comes to using SDS, there is only one boy in rwp who has all the know-how on the SDS he is a wizard but he doesnt have the resources to get the diagnostic, Papu Ustaad begged him to come and work for him,but he declined as he has started working for microsoft.Currently as per my knowledge Zeeshan and Papu has the auth merc scanner rest all have a generic sort of a scanner
    "Stand by your glasses steady and drink to your comrade's eyes.
    Here's a toast to the dead already and hurrah for the next to die."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the original true factory scanner has a yearly lease of close to 5000 USD and Shahnawaz Ltd wont let you own one.

The chinese SDS with true 38 pin wiredup muxer works ok for a few years - I prefer to install it on a VM if you run it. Its loaded with malware and trojans if you are not careful (its cracked afterall) - Just owning it wont be helpful as it assumes the person using it has been in mercedes benz repair classes and is educated with electronics knowhow and also how to use computers and interpret data and how the car is built.

e.g. a mechanic who simply follows Pxxxx error codes and parts shooting in trying to repair mercedes benz has already lost the battle, might as well put it aside.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guys anyone who knows where to source copper paste in rwp/isb, please share! X2 any ideas?

Sent from my GT-I9190 using PW Forums mobile app

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicSynergy View Post
    Guys anyone who knows where to source copper paste in rwp/isb, please share! X2 any ideas?

I will check my khazana and update. I ordered few pastes and greases from AutoHausAZ.
    What is it to be used for?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by x2 View Post
    I will check my khazana and update. I ordered few pastes and greases from AutoHausAZ.
    What is it to be used for?
    It is used for brake pad shim!

x2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sorry for late reply. I had been busy over the weekend and this skipped my mind.
    I have Genuine Mercedes Brake Anti-Squeal Paste (MB-0019898751).
    If you know where/how (based on some video) to apply it, may be you can come over to my place and my driver can do it in your supervision.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

User Tag List