Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default A little info required by a new bie

ASA Pakwheel Community,

Last month, I bought a Mercedes C-200 (w202) 2000 model 147 thousand KM driven having auto transmission. The car is well maintained as it was used by Turkish Embassy.

This is my first Mercedes so I would like to ask few questions,

1) Recently, I changed its oil with Caltex Havoline fully Synthetic 10w40. Should I keep using this oil with the change interval of 5000KM or I should switch to some Mineral oil?

2) I need to change the its gear oil but I have no idea about what gear box is installed in it. But when I use the trip tonic option it shows me gear #4 Does it mean that it has a 5 speed Auto transmission? what Gear oil should I use. MB original and Meugin are bit expensive (Rs 2600/L). Is it OK if I pour Luqui Moly TOP TEC 1200 in it? BTW I sent an email to LM staff and they assured me that I can use Top Tec 1200 in my car.

3) Should I change the differential oil too? There is no leakage there but I don't know whether I should change it or nor.

4) I just replaced its coolant with ZIC (Green One) but as I read in @Xulfiqar posts, I will change it with MB original one (yellow color).

Thanks!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1) you can keep using this oil if your engine is in good condition and can even shift to lower visocities like 5W-40. I would say no to mineral oil.

2) you would have the 5 spd 722.6 transmission in your car, any oil you use should meet MB approval number 236.14, the liqui moly product you mentioned does not have this approval, and even in the list of applications where liqui moly themselves recommend this ATF to be used without any approval only contains 236.11 which is the old standard. so I would not use this ATF. if liqui moly are so sure tell them to give you a signed written declaration that they will be responsible in case the ATF damages the transmission and see them run away.
    youll also need a pilot bush among other things to change the ATF not just the fluid

if you want a cheap ATF that correct for your car look for SHELL ATF 134

3) people have mixed feelings about changing differential oil, I changed mine in a w203, I would say if you intend to keep the car for a long time( more than 3-4 years) then by all means do change it

4) yes you need to change the coolant
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you Bhatti sb for your reply, Inshallah I will follow the steps that you mentioned Just wondering the forwards gears are 4 then why they call it 5 speed, may be they are counting the reverse gear too.

Today, I noted that a small amount of coolant was dropping from the exhaust pipe placed on the coolant bottle's head. I opened up the bottle's cap and coolant level was dropped. Did not observe any overheating as temperature gauge stays at the normal point (around 82'c). Though there are not that much quantity dropped but I don't know why its dropping it as its already at mid level and not overfilled.

Do you have any idea about that?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arzaam.bhatti View Post
    1) you can keep using this oil if your engine is in good condition and can even shift to lower visocities like 5W-40. I would say no to mineral oil.

2) you would have the 5 spd 722.6 transmission in your car, any oil you use should meet MB approval number 236.14, the liqui moly product you mentioned does not have this approval, and even in the list of applications where liqui moly themselves recommend this ATF to be used without any approval only contains 236.11 which is the old standard. so I would not use this ATF. if liqui moly are so sure tell them to give you a signed written declaration that they will be responsible in case the ATF damages the transmission and see them run away.
    youll also need a pilot bush among other things to change the ATF not just the fluid

if you want a cheap ATF that correct for your car look for SHELL ATF 134

3) people have mixed feelings about changing differential oil, I changed mine in a w203, I would say if you intend to keep the car for a long time( more than 3-4 years) then by all means do change it

4) yes you need to change the coolant
    Thank you Bhatti sb for your reply, Inshallah I will follow the steps that you mentioned A little info required by a new bie - smiley smile Just wondering the forwards gears are 4 then why they call it 5 speed, may be they are counting the reverse gear too.

Today, I noted that a small amount of coolant was dropping from the exhaust pipe placed on the coolant bottle's head. I opened up the bottle's cap and coolant level was dropped. Did not observe any overheating as temperature gauge stays at the normal point (around 82'c). Though there are not that much quantity dropped but I don't know why its dropping it as its already at mid level and not overfilled.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ammad6 View Post
    Thank you Bhatti sb for your reply, Inshallah I will follow the steps that you mentioned A little info required by a new bie - smiley smile Just wondering the forwards gears are 4 then why they call it 5 speed, may be they are counting the reverse gear too.

No most merc logic in tip tronic mode works like this D1,D2,D3,D4,D if you go at 90km/h in D4 and shift back to D youll see the rpms drop a bit. Its definitely 5 speed forward dont you worry but the transmissions in your model gearing is set up in a way that it will have high revs at highway which is fun as it allows for responsive passing power.

till what level do you fill the coolant expansion tank? its not to be filled to the brim, as most do not have any level marked on them you are to fill it till the white part meet the black plastic top, and leave the rest room for expansion. if you fill it to the brim it will exhuast out and level will drop.

If you did infact fill it to the proper hieght then you may have a pressure leak somewhere or possibly bad cap on the expansion tank.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

No most merc logic in tip tronic mode works like this D1,D2,D3,D4,D if you go at 90km/h in D4 and shift back to D youll see the rpms drop a bit. Its definitely 5 speed forward dont you worry but the transmissions in your model gearing is set up in a way that it will have high revs at highway which is fun as it allows for responsive passing power.

till what level do you fill the coolant expansion tank? its not to be filled to the brim, as most do not have any level marked on them you are to fill it till the white part meet the black plastic top, and leave the rest room for expansion. if you fill it to the brim it will exhuast out and level will drop.

If you did infact fill it to the proper hieght then you may have a pressure leak somewhere or possibly bad cap on the expansion tank.
    Thank you again for you reply!

Now I am much clear about the transmission. I looked for Shell ATF 134 but it is hard to find in Pakistan. Will ask a friend who is coming from Australia in Aug.

I pour fresh four litters of coolant in the expansion tank while changing it, it was not filled till the brim. I don't observe any pressure leakage after the needle touch (80'C). Will check it thoroughly today.

Yesterday, I took my car to a mechanic for throttle body clean. It was not a good experience. After got it cleaned, the car RPM now stays at 2 . I asked the mechanic why it is so but he said k "ap 10-12 din gari use karein throttle mein thodi mitti aye gi to yeh yeh khud he normal jga per a jaye gi". I was not convinced with his reason but did not argued. Will take the car to some other mechanic tomorrow.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you again for you reply!

Now I am much clear about the transmission. I looked for Shell ATF 134 but it is hard to find in Pakistan. Will ask a friend who is coming from Australia in Aug.

I pour fresh four litters of coolant in the expansion tank while changing it, it was not filled till the brim. I don't observe any pressure leakage after the needle touch (80'C). Will check it thoroughly today.

Yesterday, I took my car to a mechanic for throttle body clean. It was not a good experience. After got it cleaned, the car RPM now stays at 2 . I asked the mechanic why it is so but he said k "ap 10-12 din gari use karein throttle mein thodi mitti aye gi to yeh yeh khud he normal jga per a jaye gi". I was not convinced with his reason but did not argued. Will take the car to some other mechanic tomorrow.
    So you just poured 4 litres of coolant when you first added zic coolant, you never drained the radiator? what did the car have before coolant or water?

And you NEVER get thorttle body cleaned on a Mercedes unless something is wrong. Its not a official Mercedes regular service procedure. My car is 147000 driven which is about the same as yours and never have I or the previous owners in the service history ever needed throttle body cleaning. Now I dont know what he messed with, I highly doubt itll return to normal by use, maybe after computer reset but even taking the battery terminals of and on again requires recalibration of steering sensors power windows etc.

Never go to such mechanic again who doesnt know about german cars and gives such excuses as mitti. Get hold of a person who knows better and get it fixed as I am sure you must face a jerk when going from N to D if rpm is at 2000 at idle and this will definitely hurt the transmission in the long run.

The way to maintain a Mercedes is to get hold of a service manual read up and then direct mechanics to do the job as the manual says or slowly build up your own collection yourself and do work yourself if you can. Otherwise it can go bad and expensive real fast.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So you just poured 4 litres of coolant when you first added zic coolant, you never drained the radiator? what did the car have before coolant or water?

And you NEVER get thorttle body cleaned on a Mercedes unless something is wrong. Its not a official Mercedes regular service procedure. My car is 147000 driven which is about the same as yours and never have I or the previous owners in the service history ever needed throttle body cleaning. Now I dont know what he messed with, I highly doubt itll return to normal by use, maybe after computer reset but even taking the battery terminals of and on again requires recalibration of steering sensors power windows etc.

Never go to such mechanic again who doesnt know about german cars and gives such excuses as mitti. Get hold of a person who knows better and get it fixed as I am sure you must face a jerk when going from N to D if rpm is at 2000 at idle and this will definitely hurt the transmission in the long run.

The way to maintain a Mercedes is to get hold of a service manual read up and then direct mechanics to do the job as the manual says or slowly build up your own collection yourself and do work yourself if you can. Otherwise it can go bad and expensive real fast.
    For coolant change I just opened up the coolant screw under the radiator and drained all the old, it was kind of rusty water as the car was standing idle for last few months. Then after getting all the rusty water out I pour the normal water and wait till the engine temp gets on to 82'C. After that I drained the water again and pour the 4 liters of coolant into it. There was still some space (about 1 liter available) in the coolant bottle.

I did not know that I should not clean the throttle body of Mercedes, I used to have corolla 1999 model in the past and I always enjoy its ride after getting the throttle clean. But did not know that I should not clean it for Mercedes. Before Throttle cleaning it was working absolutely fine. Feeling sad now, don't know how I will get it fixed

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

For coolant change I just opened up the coolant screw under the radiator and drained all the old, it was kind of rusty water as the car was standing idle for last few months. Then after getting all the rusty water out I pour the normal water and wait till the engine temp gets on to 82'C. After that I drained the water again and pour the 4 liters of coolant into it. There was still some space (about 1 liter available) in the coolant bottle.

I did not know that I should not clean the throttle body of Mercedes, I used to have corolla 1999 model in the past and I always enjoy its ride after getting the throttle clean. But did not know that I should not clean it for Mercedes. Before Throttle cleaning it was working absolutely fine. Feeling sad now, don't know how I will get it fixed
    okay, buying a mercedes with rusty water as coolant is always super risky as having no coolant in a mercedes is especially bad and can effect a lot of components. and one that has been standing for a while is like asking for trouble but anyways keep an eye on the level if its dropping a lot by being exhausted by overflow then try a new cap of the same specification as printed on the current one. dont worry thats how we all learn, I spent a lot of money on my car learning as well. Contact x2 or see his thread on this forum he also has a w202 and his thread contains info of mechanics he found usefull in rawalpindi or islamabad, i am sure youll get your car sorted out.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

btw as a precuation also make sure there is no oil in the coolant, has the coolant color stayed the same since you poured the new one? or check the oil cap for mayonnise, common reasons on this car for coolant to exhaust out is either bad expansion tank cap or a very bad headgasket or could even be leaking transmission coolant lines in the radiator, do get the transmission fluid level checked as well.
    but I am counting that its just a cap in your case.
    you dont want to delay this issue.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List