0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Buying a Mercedes is Maintenance a costly isse

I am planning to buy a Mercedes Benz class 180 or 200... model 2004-2007... is there a concern for parts and maintenance.. is it too costly say as compared to a HONDA CIVIC

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I'm in the same situation as you and would naturally want to know what difference it is for me in terms of maintenance costs if I buy a used Merc, or basic version of Audi A3/BMW X1 etc or a new Honda Civic.

However, be prepared to also read a lot of replies with people stating "you cannot compare Merc with a Civic", "they are in different categories", "make up your mind first what you want" etc.

It would be nice if someone objectively tells the actual hassles of owning a Merc or BMW, the extra maintenance costs one has to pay on owning and maintaining a German car over and above the somewhat known costs/hassles of owning a Honda or Toyota.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

let me give you an example.brake pads of a w203 costs around rs 35000.if this seems ok to you then go for a w203(civic is not even near to the drive quality of a w203).rest is all your choice.
    Just Do It Your Self!!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

its simple as this agar haati palo geh toh haati peh kharcha bhi karna parayga!
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very ruff, mean place, and no matter how tuff you think you are, it will always bring you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.You or nobody ain't never gonna hit as hard as life, but it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward. If you know what you're worth, go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hit."
    - Sylvester Stallone

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

its not the maintenance costs its the age. For instance if you buy a 2007 model which would be driven around 150,000 kms it needs alot of works. on the other hand if you buy a new vehicle you wont need much of work.
    RIP

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    its not the maintenance costs its the age. For instance if you buy a 2007 model which would be driven around 150,000 kms it needs alot of works. on the other hand if you buy a new vehicle you wont need much of work.
    Very well said. I own a 2014 Mercedes E250 which has 40000 on the ODO and apart from regular oil and filter change there is no other maintenance required. But if I keep it for much longer, the maintenance bills will start to add up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PW Forums mobile app

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

A ten years old Merc is a nightmare. Its not a simple "haathi" its a white elephant. I've practically gone through this and experienced it myself and wasted a lot of my hard earned money and then selling it with great loss. If you're damn rich with lot of spare money to dump, you can go for it. But if you're damn rich then why would you've been thinking of ten years old Merc rather than a new one?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by umarkhan1 View Post
    let me give you an example.brake pads of a w203 costs around rs 35000.if this seems ok to you then go for a w203(civic is not even near to the drive quality of a w203).rest is all your choice.
    No, its not too much expensive as you says, Taxtar made in germany not more then 8000
    There's no car like Mercedes-Benz.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You can buy a W203 C180 or a C200 kompressor from a owner who's know how to Mercedes maintained, a man who compare this to same like civic or a corolla will be a big idiot.

Take full service history from owner, if he ignored service intervals like Trans fluid, coolant or suspension works then leave that car.
    M271 kompressor is superb engine but simply if using water instead of coolant then may damage its oil cooler and if oil cooler damage oil mix with water & your engine will empty your pocket.

Radiators of this era models are faulty trans cooler leaked after age should be replaced with Behr Hella radiators made in germany
    Trans fluids are special oem# 236.14 is recomended genuine or Meguin's smooth with new filter and gasket.

I must say if you owning a good maintained Merc of any model you will never ever go to any civic or corolla etc.....
    There's no car like Mercedes-Benz.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I agree with Cruzee there is no car like a mercedes.......but let me tell you from where the problem starts.

Selection: Buying any mercedes try to opt for a facelift generation they have probably sorted out most of the little gremlins.
    Seller: 95% of merc owners dont do anything here by the book,not that its there fault but german cars require a complete different way of maintainance.
    Mechanic:Here lies the most sour part of owning a mercedes Let me tell you about the best mechanics in the Potohar Plateau
    a.SMART SERVICES : My car was vibrating took it to them they looked left and right pulled out the plugs and coils did the wrong way of compression test and said "Bhai app coils change karay" Price 42k.I said ok why dont you get the coils from that S class and we can swap and see, we swapped and the result was the same ustaad ji said "Sir jee nawi laoo phir check kartay hain". I left . My uncle took his ML 350 07 model and they asked 5 LAC for harmonic balancer change can you believe that
    b.Shah Nawaz: Took it to them they said app ki gari bhut purani hai we dont look at these old vehicles becuz engine purana hai i said saab ji !!!engine 2006 tak yahi istamal howa hai.They looked and said aap nay our kisi jaga chek karwai hai i said Yes and told them about smart services the guy looked at me and said sir theek bol rahay hain plz change coils.My uncle got his Harmonic Balancer changed from them for 1.5 Lac.
    c.Babu Javed : "Sir gadi park kar jao and come after 2 weeks" After two weeks sir please change injectors.Took injectors off a friends merc but result same.Javed said sir kaam lamba hai will req 30 more days.I Left
    d.Mighty Papu : Sir new mounts required" I told him i just changed them he said sir HI-Octane dalo. I was already using. Confused he said throttle body is required new one.*FACEPALM*
    Wont tell you about other idiots but only Papu Ustaad had the guts to say that sir we cannot diagnose unless we have the right equipment and know how.
    All these mechanics do work by tuka and because they think they are mighty ustaads they dont listen to you.

PARTS : Running Parts are not expensive i.e filters and fluids. BUt sensors and body parts will murder you i.e if you want to source them new or used.

As a daily driver mercedes bhut dheet gari hai it will keep on running but will definitely give you electrical issues,there is no comparing it with a honda or corolla amazing drive and feel.If your a family guy on a limited budget with a fix pay scale my advise to you is stay away it will take your family and budget.If however you have good amount of time and a good pay scale i strongly suggest you go for a mercedes, you will come to know what engineering is.
    "Stand by your glasses steady and drink to your comrade's eyes.
    Here's a toast to the dead already and hurrah for the next to die."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by cruzee View Post
    No, its not too much expensive as you says, Taxtar made in germany not more then 8000
    talking about genuine ones from shahnawaz
    Just Do It Your Self!!!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i say one thing in Punjabi....Agar OOnton (camel) k sath yaari rakhni ho tu Darwazy (door) bary rakhny party hain...
    same agar merc ya bmw leeni hy tu jigra bhi bara hona chaheye...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I was also in the same fix, but after reading all above comments don't know about you but for me I would say
    Don't take "punga" ( punjabi) it's not "changa" ( punjabi)

Sent from my SM-N920C using PW Forums mobile app

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Marschall View Post
    I agree with Cruzee there is no car like a mercedes.......but let me tell you from where the problem starts.

Selection: Buying any mercedes try to opt for a facelift generation they have probably sorted out most of the little gremlins.
    Seller: 95% of merc owners dont do anything here by the book,not that its there fault but german cars require a complete different way of maintainance.
    Mechanic:Here lies the most sour part of owning a mercedes Let me tell you about the best mechanics in the Potohar Plateau
    a.SMART SERVICES : My car was vibrating took it to them they looked left and right pulled out the plugs and coils did the wrong way of compression test and said "Bhai app coils change karay" Price 42k.I said ok why dont you get the coils from that S class and we can swap and see, we swapped and the result was the same ustaad ji said "Sir jee nawi laoo phir check kartay hain". I left . My uncle took his ML 350 07 model and they asked 5 LAC for harmonic balancer change can you believe that
    b.Shah Nawaz: Took it to them they said app ki gari bhut purani hai we dont look at these old vehicles becuz engine purana hai i said saab ji !!!engine 2006 tak yahi istamal howa hai.They looked and said aap nay our kisi jaga chek karwai hai i said Yes and told them about smart services the guy looked at me and said sir theek bol rahay hain plz change coils.My uncle got his Harmonic Balancer changed from them for 1.5 Lac.
    c.Babu Javed : "Sir gadi park kar jao and come after 2 weeks" After two weeks sir please change injectors.Took injectors off a friends merc but result same.Javed said sir kaam lamba hai will req 30 more days.I Left
    d.Mighty Papu : Sir new mounts required" I told him i just changed them he said sir HI-Octane dalo. I was already using. Confused he said throttle body is required new one.*FACEPALM*
    Wont tell you about other idiots but only Papu Ustaad had the guts to say that sir we cannot diagnose unless we have the right equipment and know how.
    All these mechanics do work by tuka and because they think they are mighty ustaads they dont listen to you.

PARTS : Running Parts are not expensive i.e filters and fluids. BUt sensors and body parts will murder you i.e if you want to source them new or used.

As a daily driver mercedes bhut dheet gari hai it will keep on running but will definitely give you electrical issues,there is no comparing it with a honda or corolla amazing drive and feel.If your a family guy on a limited budget with a fix pay scale my advise to you is stay away it will take your family and budget.If however you have good amount of time and a good pay scale i strongly suggest you go for a mercedes, you will come to know what engineering is.
    Impressive answer

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S5 Active
    I am Just Like a Mirror Reflecting The Images You Do

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ہاتھی پالنے کا شوق ہے تو دروازہ اونچا کروایے جرمن گاڑی ٢ نسل کی خدمت کرتی ہے

Mercedes with regular maintenance is a car for 2 generations, comparing Japanese tin boxes with Mercedes is gross insult to German car manufacturer,
    in price of 1 E-class you can comfortably buy 2.5 Japanese tin boxes

Quote Originally Posted by mehdi.hasnain1 View Post
    I am planning to buy a Mercedes Benz class 180 or 200... model 2004-2007... is there a concern for parts and maintenance.. is it too costly say as compared to a HONDA CIVIC
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post
    ہاتھی پالنے کا شوق ہے تو دروازہ اونچا کروایے جرمن گاڑی ٢ نسل کی خدمت کرتی ہے

Mercedes with regular maintenance is a car for 2 generations, comparing Japanese tin boxes with Mercedes is gross insult to German car manufacturer,
    in price of 1 E-class you can comfortably buy 2.5 Japanese tin boxes
    That is true. But the quality of Mercedes really went downhill somewhere between the late 90s to about 2006-2007.
    I had a w203 with the 2.5L m272 engine in Canada. The balance shaft on the V6 wore out before 40000km. Had to change the transmission along with the balance shaft. The Mercedes from that era were really junk in terms of build.
    But they raised the quality again since the w204 onwards. Currently driving a w212 e250 and that is one solid car.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PW Forums mobile app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Mercedes before 1995 is when "ENGINEERS HAD INFLUENCE OVER ACCOUNTANTS" there quality has improved after 2007 though!!!

Khair dil bara hona chaiye haati ho ya ounth , kaam chal hi jata hai
    "Stand by your glasses steady and drink to your comrade's eyes.
    Here's a toast to the dead already and hurrah for the next to die."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

my 1st brand new High end was a E-350 April 2004 production, it stayed with me till 2010, 88,000 km done- Got it scanned & certified by mercedes necessary parts replaced later [sold] exported to a friend as pre-owned car living in europe Sept 2010,

Till date it has clocked 214,679 kms and so far he has spend only euro 7000 as maintenance cost tyre changes included. the only problem upon arrival in europe he faced was - It was without heated seats which he swapped from a scrap yard dealing in write-off car for 675 euros only.
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

umm

how does an american market survey apply to Pakistan???
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

User Tag List