0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Buying a Mercedes is Maintenance a costly isse

I am planning to buy a Mercedes Benz class 180 or 200... model 2004-2007... is there a concern for parts and maintenance.. is it too costly say as compared to a HONDA CIVIC

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kkoool View Post
    My cousin had a 2003 something, remained more in workshops than on road.

Once had a totally locked down boot, had to break the lock free to open it up,

Then had a stuck sunroof

Then in june had the worst thing to happen, the climate control messed up and heater came on automatically with family on board.

Sold the ride and never ever thought about it again.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 dual sim using PW Forums mobile app

lol...

the heater getting stuck is usually a problem in Pakistan.. because - koolent bewaqoof bananay ke tareekay hain OR - sabb coolent aik hotay hain OR drivers putting in whatever they got best kickback on.

if you add the caltex red to benz genuine coolant, you end up with gel/mud in the cooling system.

trunk locking.. - I have seen many people manually locking the bootlid to hard lock and wonder why it wont pop open.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Bughlol View Post
    I lived in the US for quite a long time!
    nice.

you still believe JD power is worth two hoots?
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

according to JD power a 2013 ford fusion has overall a 2 star powertrain reliability, - while a mazda 6 has 4 stars.

They are the same cars with different skin.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    "Stand by your glasses steady and drink to your comrade's eyes.
    Here's a toast to the dead already and hurrah for the next to die."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    I own a benz myself. shes quite a senior citizen now.. about 16 years old... I just keep up with maintenance and drive.. Im my own mechanic.
    Yeah, but you could be driving a cardboard box on plastic wheels and have it run smoother than an S class on weed.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hyder_m29 View Post
    Yeah, but you could be driving a cardboard box on plastic wheels and have it run smoother than an S class on weed.

now that would be epic

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Jo humari aukat.....the only car most Middle class people can actually maintain properly is a mehran....Humari biggest achievement...corola/civic ley lena....what a life....
    haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

do you know of the user mindset in USA??

they even damn complain of the car having shallow cupholders or having space/hatch not suitable for their dogs.... - I think you need to do some better research.. research which actually applies to Pakistan or to a country similar to Pakistan....

btw - mechanics all over Pakistan are frankensteining toyota repairs by shotgunning parts at the problem.. This is laughable
    Come on bro not all mechanics. Few of them are still present there who work by book and diagnose the problem properly.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rajaatta View Post
    Come on bro not all mechanics. Few of them are still present there who work by book and diagnose the problem properly.

hmm

you're right.

99.8% are shotgunning parts.. the rest are okay.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by umarkhan1 View Post
    let me give you an example.brake pads of a w203 costs around rs 35000.if this seems ok to you then go for a w203(civic is not even near to the drive quality of a w203).rest is all your choice.
    Someone just bought them for a 2003 merc I dont know if its a c or e but for 8k for the pair. Obviously not from Shahnawaz and obviously not original Merc but OEM ones.

Within one week of buying the car from the mechanic whom it was maintained with after the brake pads were replaced three new error codes arrived none of them close to the brakes. I thought I would be able to point out to the owner if he told me the codes what was wrong. What I received were three codes with subcodes against them. Never did I know such possibilities existed k sub codes bhi hotay hain....needless to say they were so obscure I would never be able to help the owner in anyway. And here I thought simple lancer civic jaisay codes hongay. Meinay taubah ki k Pakistan mein mercedes khareedon after seeing that, a guy with a job and limited time cannot manage a used mercedes in Pakistan if he has keera k error free car rakhni hai.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by deltree View Post
    Someone just bought them for a 2003 merc I dont know if its a c or e but for 8k for the pair. Obviously not from Shahnawaz and obviously not original Merc but OEM ones.

Within one week of buying the car from the mechanic whom it was maintained with after the brake pads were replaced three new error codes arrived none of them close to the brakes. I thought I would be able to point out to the owner if he told me the codes what was wrong. What I received were three codes with subcodes against them. Never did I know such possibilities existed k sub codes bhi hotay hain....needless to say they were so obscure I would never be able to help the owner in anyway. And here I thought simple lancer civic jaisay codes hongay. Meinay taubah ki k Pakistan mein mercedes khareedon after seeing that, a guy with a job and limited time cannot manage a used mercedes in Pakistan if he has keera k error free car rakhni hai.
    haha

as with any manufacturer the best tool for diagnosis is their own workshop scanner, in this case your best bet would have been a STAR or autologic. Those subcodes which you mention are presented with detail in the correct scanner, e.g. the benz 5 spd automatic gearbox has 4 or 5 generic P0xxx codes and close to 200 sub codes.

Those sub codes make the job easier for the technician/mechanic reparing the car.

I think the problem lies with the approach to the repair. I use the benz/BMW repair approach on all cars I repair. It makes my life easier. e.g. if I want to repair a mazda 3 headgasket. I will completely remove the whole engine and gearbox from the car and then repair it. Rather than trying to become a chipkali and invent new tools to approach hidden stuff.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

lol...

the heater getting stuck is usually a problem in Pakistan.. because - koolent bewaqoof bananay ke tareekay hain OR - sabb coolent aik hotay hain OR drivers putting in whatever they got best kickback on.

if you add the caltex red to benz genuine coolant, you end up with gel/mud in the cooling system.

trunk locking.. - I have seen many people manually locking the bootlid to hard lock and wonder why it wont pop open.
    We already know which coolant to use, if i remembed correctly it was phosphate free and on spec for that model, the design and location of that valve was hideous, we had to remove the dashboard to get to it.
    For the coolant part you are true many people just put whatever they get hold of.

AE 86

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

hahahahaha.........i am running a 1977 w123...... man it not dheet ....its perfect.......ride is better than any toyota or honda ....... durability is also fantastic..........just maintain her the way a merc wants to be maintained ............... not like the way ustad jee wants to maintain......... what i believe is that vehicles like merc, range rover and BMW can be maintained easily if the owner is logical and try to understand what car needs rather than what mechanic wants.........

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qaswah1 View Post
    hahahahaha.........i am running a 1977 w123...... man it not dheet ....its perfect.......ride is better than any toyota or honda ....... durability is also fantastic..........just maintain her the way a merc wants to be maintained ............... not like the way ustad jee wants to maintain......... what i believe is that vehicles like merc, range rover and BMW can be maintained easily if the owner is logical and try to understand what car needs rather than what mechanic wants.........
    once we were got in an accident in a w123 while coming down the hill(our driver slept).and believe in me that car was again on the road after our car was towed back on the road.that was a one solid machine.really loved it.
    Just Do It Your Self!!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kkoool View Post
    We already know which coolant to use, if i remembed correctly it was phosphate free and on spec for that model, the design and location of that valve was hideous, we had to remove the dashboard to get to it.
    For the coolant part you are true many people just put whatever they get hold of.

removed dashboard????

mercedes have never ever put a heater control valve in the dashboard, its always in the engine room.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

User Tag List