Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question Biggest tyre on CD-70, CG-125, GS-150 and Piaggio

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST TYRE YOU CAN INSTALL ON CD70, CG125, GS150 AND PIAGGIO

Installing wider tyres not only enhances the look of your motorcycle but also radically increases grip, handling and braking. I wonder what are the biggest possible tyres you can fit with no or minor modifications on popular motorcycles.

Share your experiences, recommendations and Pictures.

Following are the stock tyre sizes:

Model Front Tyre Size Rear Tyre Size
    Honda CD-70 2.25 - 17 2.50 - 17
    Honda Pridor 2.50 - 18 2.75 - 18
    Suzuki Raider 110 2.50 - 18 2.75 - 18
    Suzuki Sprinter 110 2.50 - 18 2.75 - 18
    Honda CG-125 2.50 - 18 3.00 - 17
    Honda Deluxe 125 2.75 - 18 90/90R18
    Suzuki GS-150 2.75 - 18 3.00 - 18
    Ravi Piaggio Storm 125 2.75 - 18 3.50 - 18

BIGGEST TYRE on CD70 CG125 GS150 and Piaggio -1108169

What Should one Keep in Mind when he plans to install bigger, wider tyres?

What are the critical Measurements he can take before one buys bigger tyres?
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i always counter steer
    Rise from the ashes,.....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I changed the rear tyre for better looks. and it also increased the grip. :-)
    yamaha junoon
    90/90-18 Dunlop but honestly i want more wider tyre! but the gap between rear shocks will not allow to put a large rim and large tyre! i have one question
    the wider the tyre the more fuel it takes? is this true? if yes than how? becoz i have observed that my bike eats more fuel but that's becoz of aftermarket exhaust but does wider tyre effect fuel?

BIGGEST TYRE on CD70 CG125 GS150 and Piaggio -1108545
    <FM>

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^it's pretty simple .. the more rubber meet the road ..the more load on engine to move .. hence the increased fuel consumption ...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by getscorpion View Post
    ^it's pretty simple .. the more rubber meet the road ..the more load on engine to move .. hence the increased fuel consumption ...
    Thanks mate!
    <FM>

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Its a 20HP bro it will effected... did you actually lifted a 140 tyre ? a healthy Tread Tubeless Dunlop 8~9 kg and has roughrly Half Foot Road Grip... not to mention the wight of alloy RIM itself would be a LOAD of plus.. It did effected the output of CB250 in my case any ways so thats why telling you, its your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by aximaxim View Post

I personally think 140mm is wide enuff to give BadA$$ looks and grip and not too wide to affect the performance and ruin the proportion of the project. People usually make the mistake of making the rear too heavy hence ruining the proportions of the bike.
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by vickytulla View Post
    Its a 20HP bro it will effected... did you actually lifted a 140 tyre ? a healthy Tread Tubeless Dunlop 8~9 kg and has roughrly Half Foot Road Grip... not to mention the wight of alloy RIM itself would be a LOAD of plus.. It did effected the output of CB250 in my case any ways so thats why telling you, its your choice.
    I actually lifted one 120mm wide tyre....dont remember the exact size....it was like 4-5kg max......The engine is made to pull 120/90R16.... Im increasing the width by 20mm..... thats an increase of 15% just like when you replace a 3.00-18 rear tyre on a GS150 with 3.50-18 tyre...infact in the case of GS the increase is 17%.

I saw the 120mm tyre....... its not wide enuff to complete the look. What do you suggest Vicki? 120 or 140?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What about 130 ? is that size available ? I saw a direct reduction in accelration and responsiveness on 140 actually thats why I was saying.. because for 250cc it is too much..

I actually lifted one 120mm wide tyre....dont remember the exact size....it was like 4-5kg max......The engine is made to pull 120/90R16.... Im increasing the width by 20mm..... thats an increase of 15% just like when you replace a 3.00-18 rear tyre on a GS150 with 3.50-18 tyre...infact in the case of GS the increase is 17%.

I saw the 120mm tyre....... its not wide enuff to complete the look. What do you suggest Vicki? 120 or 140?
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What about 130 ? is that size available ? I saw a direct reduction in accelration and responsiveness on 140 actually thats why I was saying.. because for 250cc it is too much..
    Well yes thats a trade-off. Wider tyre will hurt Speed and fuel efficiency for better looks and safety. I dont know if 130mm is available here. But what puts me off is that we noticed quite a bit of reduction in acceleration in your CB250............. My My ....... CB250 has a 27BHP engine.........mine is just 20BHP...... I really have to think about it again...... Damn....shud hav bought da bigger engine.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

CB250 has a 27BHP engine.........mine is just 20BHP...... I really have to think about it again...... Damn....shud hav bought da bigger engine.

no man... its not 27 if it was 27hp I would have not been bothered ... its 20.09 BHP prcisely at 8.5k RPm

here is the engine detail which I am using.

Nighthawk 250 History and Specifications

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

no man... its not 27 if it was 27hp I would have not been bothered ... its 20.09 BHP prcisely at 8.5k RPm

here is the engine detail which I am using.

Nighthawk 250 History and Specifications
    Alrito! You?re talking about your CD-185 in which you swapped the engine. I remember to told me once it was a CM250 engine?.its 234cc?that?s a 20BHP motor. Whereas a CB250 G5 engine?. The one used by Traffic police is 27 BHP is 249cc OHC parallel twin?. It?s a wicked fast bike. When you referred to CB250 I thought you had a CB250.

I tried sourcing the CB250 engine for my project from the scrappy..... no luck.

This is a CB250
    BIGGEST TYRE on CD70 CG125 GS150 and Piaggio -1108996

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Alrito! You?re talking about your CD-185 in which you swapped the engine. I remember to told me once it was a CM250 engine?.its 234cc?that?s a 20BHP motor.
    Yes now you are getting it correct... even I shared pictures on your thread of the engine when I bought it years back...

Whereas a CB250 G5 engine?.
    G5 is a totally different bike and its engine is totallty different and yes it has more biiger bore and ofcourse more horses.. but it is a nayab engine and a bad idea to use it as its parts would be a night mare to source..

The one used by Traffic police is 27 BHP is 249cc OHC parallel twin?. It?s a wicked fast bike. When you referred to CB250 I thought you had a CB250.
    The Warden Police is not using G5 it is using the bike whos engine I am currently using.. the Honda Night Hawk CB250

I tried sourcing the CB250 engine for my project from the scrappy..... no luck.

This is a CB250
    BIGGEST TYRE on CD70 CG125 GS150 and Piaggio -1108996
    acha he howa k nahi mila nahi tu tumny phans jana tha ...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 120/80 - 17 rear tire for piaggio

Hey what if 120/80 - 17 is used in rear tire of piaggio, i think that will not effect top speed and performance much because rim size decreased and aspect ratio also decreased to 80 from 90 and this will also not touch the frame if i am not wrong what you guys think? because i m planning to install it and it will require the samee rim size in width as is currently installed in piaggio

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yes it will improve accelration, but not sure if top speed would be effected or not ... in any case we are already doiung that with the Han1911 Deluxe tomorrow.. putting 17' alloy RIMS ...

Quote Originally Posted by omer85 View Post
    Hey what if 120/80 - 17 is used in rear tire of piaggio, i think that will not effect top speed and performance much because rim size decreased and aspect ratio also decreased to 80 from 90 and this will also not touch the frame if i am not wrong what you guys think? because i m planning to install it and it will require the samee rim size in width as is currently installed in piaggio

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

120mm wide tyre is a little too wide for a 125cc engine,,, also you decreased the rim size but increased the aspect ratio (profile) of the tyre….120/80R17 will be significantly heavier than your stock 3.25 – 18. So the rear wheel and tyre would be heavier than before and not to forget more contact surface area of the rubber on the road increase grip and reduce acceleration and top speed.
    120mm wide rear tyre come stock in 250cc motorcycles.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yes it will improve accelration, but not sure if top speed would be effected or not ... in any case we are already doiung that with the Han1911 Deluxe tomorrow.. putting 17' alloy RIMS ...
    and what about the front i mean the combination of 18' front and 17' at the back because i am only planning to change the rear and the rim which motorcycle spoke rim would fit in 17 inch in piaggio rear only

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

120mm wide tyre is a little too wide for a 125cc engine,,, also you decreased the rim size but increased the aspect ratio (profile) of the tyre….120/80R17 will be significantly heavier than your stock 3.25 – 18. So the rear wheel and tyre would be heavier than before and not to forget more contact surface area of the rubber on the road increase grip and reduce acceleration and top speed.
    120mm wide rear tyre come stock in 250cc motorcycles.
    Yup i am also thinking about that the top speed would decrease

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

and what about the front i mean the combination of 18' front and 17' at the back because i am only planning to change the rear and the rim which motorcycle spoke rim would fit in 17 inch in piaggio rear only
    Just measure or calculate the height of your front axle and the rear axle from the ground, Let suppose in stock condition your rear axle is 1 inch higher than your front axle, then you have to make sure that this 1 inch difference is maintained when you replace the rear tyre. Basically the stance of the bike should be remain as close as possible to original.

Waisay Piaggio look better with a lifted tail.......... for that you need taller shocks and not necessarily high profile tyre on larger wheels.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

whats the tire size u putting with those alloys .. i am also curious to see how deluxe would look with 17 rims ..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by getscorpion View Post
    whats the tire size u putting with those alloys .. i am also curious to see how deluxe would look with 17 rims ..
    its a 120 I think han1911 can confirm I dont rememeber frankly..

Just measure or calculate the height of your front axle and the rear axle from the ground, Let suppose in stock condition your rear axle is 1 inch higher than your front axle, then you have to make sure that this 1 inch difference is maintained when you replace the rear tyre. Basically the stance of the bike should be remain as close as possible to original.

Waisay Piaggio look better with a lifted tail.......... for that you need taller shocks and not necessarily high profile tyre on larger wheels.
    Good Idea..

I think both would have to be 17 to maintaine the bike equilibruim ... but I think it would not make any difference with 1' b.w rear and front..

21. 05-06-2014, 03:13 PM

PakWheeler

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AoA, just need a suggestion from experts, can 3.0-17 tyre be installed on cd70 ?

Thanx in advance

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

User Tag List