5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Unhappy Accedental DownShift On Ravi Piaggio :( [HELP]

hello every one,i have a RP 2012 ... last night i was coming back home from somewhere ,
    speed was almost 65kmh and it was third gear , i dont know what came into my mind , i was busy in my thoughts , i shifted down to gear one ..and the bike literally screamed ,,, RpM needle went to the last digit ,,,
    then i held the clutch and drove normally back home , now this morning when i tried to start the bike it wont start on Electric starter , it did start on Kick , bike is running fine ,
    but the bike is not idling now , i even tried to increase the race , still the same ,,,,
    btw i had the Valve done last month ,
    and before that incident the bike was running awesome , no issues whatsoever
    i need some experts here , literally i cant think of something else at the moment , pretty pissed at myself
    i m sensing a valve bent issue here ,,what do experts have to say about it ....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ahsenz View Post
    hello every one,i have a RP 2012 ... last night i was coming back home from somewhere ,
    speed was almost 65kmh and it was third gear , i dont know what came into my mind , i was busy in my thoughts , i shifted down to gear one ..and the bike literally screamed ,,, RpM needle went to the last digit ,,,
    then i held the clutch and drove normally back home , now this morning when i tried to start the bike it wont start on Electric starter , it did start on Kick , bike is running fine ,
    but the bike is not idling now , i even tried to increase the race , still the same ,,,,
    btw i had the Valve done last month ,
    and before that incident the bike was running awesome , no issues whatsoever
    i need some experts here , literally i cant think of something else at the moment , pretty pissed at myself
    i m sensing a valve bent issue here ,,what do experts have to say about it ....
    Yup seems like something similar...
    If its struggling to idle and sounds like missing... then something has gone Kaput!

Take to some good mevhanic

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Automotorsport_Lover View Post
    Yup seems like something similar...
    If its struggling to idle and sounds like missing... then something has gone Kaput!

Take to some good mevhanic
    can it be possible that the valve clearance gone toooo tight ???
    Vickytulla might enlighten us more probably ....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

can it be possible that the valve clearance gone toooo tight ???
    Vickytulla might enlighten us more probably ....
    No valves cannot change their adjustment, valves can be bent, rings can be damaged... and u might want to inspect air filter. It might get damaged from back pressure

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the best way to inspect valves is to start you bike when the engine is cold and try to listen to tik tik sound from the engine

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saboor73 View Post
    the best way to inspect valves is to start you bike when the engine is cold and try to listen to tik tik sound from the engine
    If we lisen tik tik sound then whats that mean .

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by JUNOON007 View Post
    If we lisen tik tik sound then whats that mean .
    tik tik sound means the gap between valve and rocker arm increased to the best of my knowledge.
    ''Creativity is contagious, pass it on''

TZB
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Brother, I don't know which type of carburetor RP-125 has, but it happened to my GD that it wasn't idling properly. I had to increase the idle RPM to keep the engine from stalling. One day I pushed open its throttle to its max and the bike coughed for a little while after which it became smooth again. However, after pushing it hard, I noticed an increased RPM on idle engine. I kept decreasing RPM until the engine was at the verge of stalling. My carburetor was back to its original settings after this episode and the engine is idling perfectly, Alhamdu Lillah.

So, the point I am trying to make here is, maybe your carburetor was jolted due to this sudden impulse and needs an inspection since its components are very delicate.
    First deserve, then desire.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

worse which can happen on a bad shift is a broken/bent valve or a damaged siezed piston in either case the bike will refuse to start even in some cases it will not move at all and get jammed totally...

in ur case its running and working only not idling so there can be two reasons

>>> Your Carb Jets moved (screwed or unscrewed) from there setting where it was working fine
    Solution > Go to your mechnic and ask him to adjust the carb to idle properly he might have to open the carb.

>> if it was on 65kmh then I dont think bike may have taken it "THAT" seriously unless u shifted it directly to 1st gear.. I doubt u were much more speedy at that time and u might not noticed... but as u said bike redlined on down shift indicated very high strain then if the carb setting still do not rectify it then open its tappet cover and get its valve adjusted to the position were the bike can breath properly, if bike start to idle properly after valves adjustment then please understand the valves took damage they might perform as good as before but they will not last as long as they were expected to do in first place. (but dont worry they are always repairable)
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by vickytulla View Post
    worse which can happen on a bad shift is a broken/bent valve or a damaged siezed piston in either case the bike will refuse to start even in some cases it will not move at all and get jammed totally...

in ur case its running and working only not idling so there can be two reasons

>>> Your Carb Jets moved (screwed or unscrewed) from there setting where it was working fine
    Solution > Go to your mechnic and ask him to adjust the carb to idle properly he might have to open the carb.

>> if it was on 65kmh then I dont think bike may have taken it "THAT" seriously unless u shifted it directly to 1st gear.. I doubt u were much more speedy at that time and u might not noticed... but as u said bike redlined on down shift indicated very high strain then if the carb setting still do not rectify it then open its tappet cover and get its valve adjusted to the position were the bike can breath properly, if bike start to idle properly after valves adjustment then please understand the valves took damage they might perform as good as before but they will not last as long as they were expected to do in first place. (but dont worry they are always repairable)
    after today's observation im 1000% sure that valves are bent ,damaged , because there is reduced pressure in the kick , very less resistance ,
    2ndly ther is some mechanical kar kar kar kar from the engine and its vibrating too ... vibration can be felt on the gear lever ,
    i will go for the valve thing tomorrow , can it be something else ???
    vicky bhai i was enjoying the ride after the valve job , lagta hai meri khushi ko nazar lag gayi

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

after today's observation im 1000% sure that valves are bent ,damaged , because there is reduced pressure in the kick , very less resistance ,
    2ndly ther is some mechanical kar kar kar kar from the engine and its vibrating too ... vibration can be felt on the gear lever ,
    vicky bhai i was enjoying the ride after the valve job , lagta hai meri khushi ko nazar lag gayi
    Mayoos nai hona, bas mechanic k pas le jayen Allah ka naam le kr and mention what ppl have suggested here :-)

Sent from my LG-F160K using PW Forums mobile app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thats sad... but i hope its not something bad as it seems, its better not to drive it in this condition and take it to mechanic asap... or if there is some mechanical damage, it can spread

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If u can hear noise and vibration in ur foot then ur 1000% correctness is on right direction its screwed ... dont even start it .... becuase the valve is hitting th piston and may break it soon.
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

oh that seems to be big mistake and as you saying vibration & unusual sound from engine
    that clearly shows some thing is damaged well 65km/h is too much speeds for a 1st gear
    way beyond max: limits of 1st gear so damage is quite obvious you should get it checked
    immediately i hope connecting rod is ok and that unusual sound that you hearing from engine
    is not of connecting rod if it is of connecting rod it will require to open up whole engine

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I didnt get one thing if a bike is running at 65kms it must be in 3rd or 4th gear and when you shift down, its one gear at a time. Teno gear aik dum to nahi nikal jata na. So how come you down shifted from 3 and didn't notice that you were continuously down shifting it again up till one and than you left the clutch.
    Aik gear to ho he jata ha upper necha but the sound of the bike immediately tells its been down shifted. Besides if i am not wrong Piaggio also has a gear indicator.
    @ahsenz

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

And bike doesn't comes in 1st gear ,impossible/so easily while driving at 65.
    Dying seems less sad than having lived too little.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold View Post
    I didnt get one thing if a bike is running at 65kms it must be in 3rd or 4th gear and when you shift down, its one gear at a time. Teno gear aik dum to nahi nikal jata na. So how come you down shifted from 3 and didn't notice that you were continuously down shifting it again up till one and than you left the clutch.
    Aik gear to ho he jata ha upper necha but the sound of the bike immediately tells its been down shifted. Besides if i am not wrong Piaggio also has a gear indicator.
    @ahsenz
    by mistake ... like i pushed it 2 times and let go of the clutch .....this happend ,, some S**t was in my mind ... dehaan kahin aur tha ,,

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

anyways , the update is that i took it to the mechanic , he opened the head cover , checked the tappets ... they were damn hard ,he adjusted them , then he opened the carb did something with it and then some adjustments ,
    now bike is idling perfectly , that engine vibration is gone ,
    but there is a strange issue there is very loud and noticeable sound from the tappets ,
    the mechanic USMAN from tht sHEIKH RAVI CENTRE , HE SAID ITS THE ROCKER ARM.. ILL ADJUST IT IN COUPLE OF DAYS , because valve are new ,apni jaga per a rahe hain ,, :/ yeh logic samjh nahi aai , he said there is nothing to worried about.. i didn't told him k kya scene hua hai , insted when i went there , i said it with a frown , yaar kya bakwas kam kiya hai aik month bhe valve nahi chalke so he still thinks that something is wrong on his side ,
    he asked me to come a day after tomorrow , to adjust tht tappets noise ,..in the process im kinda fed upped , literally after using it for 2.5 years , i think i should sell it now
    two options :
    1: to sell it dirt cheap , bcs of no resale value , and then buy a new chonda
    2r to spend around 10 k and get the bike back on its glory (that requires special treatment aur idr pindi/isb main iska itna koi qabil mechanic nahi )
    3: go the extra mile , ie take the bike lahore get it fixed from there , too much khawari

Confused

btw in her glory days

Accedental DownShift On Ravi Piaggio  HELP -1443656Accedental DownShift On Ravi Piaggio  HELP -1443657Accedental DownShift On Ravi Piaggio  HELP -1443658

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

by mistake ... like i pushed it 2 times and let go of the clutch .....this happend ,, some S**t was in my mind ... dehaan kahin aur tha ,,
    Is it safe to assume that the fault was Sana Safinaz and her Eid Collection massive billboards ?
    Turbo lag is like foreplay. You know it's coming. And it's gonna be good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List