Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Urgent help: Mark II Grande 2002-3 engine question

dear brothers,

My Mark II Grande's engine has died... it needs to be opened. and Im confused.

Some mechanics are telling me that just install new engine, others are telling me get the same engine fixed (over hauled)

What to do? ( the cost considerations are more less the same.)

What is the better option and why.... I appreciate all the help and coments in advance, i will be checking this every hr and will respond to any further questions required.

engine is 2000 c.c nor 24ooo c.c.

rgds

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What does "died" mean? The first step is a proper diagnosis of the fault(s).

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What is meant by engine died ??? What is on odo ???

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sir...

a few days back while driving, the engine started making a repitative 'tuk' 'tuk' sound. mechanics told me its from inside the engine. Also told me that engine has ceized because of carbon inside engine....the oil i changed was of bad quality... and that screwed it up. ( all this was told to me by mechanics) . the engine has not been opened so no body can give a detailed diagnostic.

do you guys think that opening up the engine has become a MUST? all the mchs hav told me that the engie neds to be opened, it could be a loose tepit cover to crank shaft to pistons to begin.... One mech told me that ots just the oil pump and nothing else.

Most of these words are alien to me... so Im confused...

Any other specific questions? go ahead shoot, ill try to answer them as best as i can...

thanx in advance and rgds

will check again after each hr.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

sounds like you roasted the rod bearings, what engine oil were you using that is being blamed?
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

driver claims it was from a shell pump. 2 days prior to the incident. i parked my car at nite after 20-30 kms of driving and i could smell burnt oil smoke as well... I dont really know what went wrong... it coould be a lack of maintenaince as well.. not blaming any one though.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

shell blends about 500 different types of oils, not all are suitable for passenger cars, Trusting a driver as "service advisor" usually ends up in sad stories like this.
    @capsat also faced a similar situation with a corolla.

click here to check the destroyed engine

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/eng...royed-engine-2
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i think the crank is gone
    M @ c!v!c '95 L0v3&

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ashbal... so that would mean that the engine need not be opened?

pls explain a bit bro. thanks

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

New engine all the way, it would cost you about 60k all Saif and done and you would be tension free (a friend just changed his grandes engine)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^Doc, 60k for 1G BEAMS?
    '73 Corona MarkII...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Its better to get the engine overhauled.
    Never loose hope in life,every step gives u something.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

argtr65.

bro could u breif why you think overhauling is better than engine change??

i checked the prices of the engine.. starts from 70k and goes to 85-90 k

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Maybe I got the wrong figure might be 80kwill ask him .change the engine and Thank me later lol.. don't overhaul

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

with a junked engine you get a 50% chance of getting a good engine, 50% chance is that you get actual "junk"

do a full overhaul on the engine, from a proper and equipped shop/mechanic that actually follows correct technique and tooling, it would cost more than a junkyard swap but would be a known proper build.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by warriorsaint View Post
    dear brothers,

My Mark II Grande's engine has died... it needs to be opened. and Im confused.

Some mechanics are telling me that just install new engine, others are telling me get the same engine fixed (over hauled)

What to do? ( the cost considerations are more less the same.)

What is the better option and why.... I appreciate all the help and coments in advance, i will be checking this every hr and will respond to any further questions required.

engine is 2000 c.c nor 24ooo c.c.

rgds
    your car have a 2000 CC in-line 6 toyota 1G- FE engine ? It is same engine plant loaded into Lexus 200, It is a tough enough and very hard to die as in DEAD. -

You need a 2nd opinion and correct diagnosis, please share more before failure happened. if vehicle is firing up & road worthy get it scanned and share the error codes . if some loser has attempted ECU reset by removing battery terminals and afterwards car declined to crank, the ecu need remapping from a Scantool.

however before any collapse there must've been alot of alert & beeps from dash cluster every time key start was pressed

reading your posts., i strongly believe oil pump failure due to GUNK in sump please read the link Xulfiqar posted for my ordeal.

The car can be conveniently overhauled in Karachi if you are willing to spare time and resources. Engine from YARDS are of unknown origin with zero record of maintenance and with no idea for how long those been in dumpster getting beaten from environment, last but no least the High wager for high devaluation in price of car after regn book modification.

- www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

uiv
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    with a junked engine you get a 50% chance of getting a good engine, 50% chance is that you get actual "junk"
    do a full overhaul on the engine, from a proper and equipped shop/mechanic that actually follows correct technique and tooling, it would cost more than a junkyard swap but would be a known proper build.
    I beg to differ. While overhaul undoubtly is the way to go in a perfect world, but then getting an engine from junk yard isn't all that risky. People buy and swap them all the time, they turn properly, make right noise and give solid compression figures. I'd say risk is only about 5-10% if you inspect it thoroughly and get one from a reliable person.

Now, overhauling totally deponds upon who's doing it. I'd totally trust an engine that you're building, but should the OP go for the one that I've built? One can end up spending way lot more than a junkyard swap, only to find that compression figures aren't up to mark, heathing issues, oil burning, the lot.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by uiv View Post
    I beg to differ. While overhaul undoubtly is the way to go in a perfect world, but then getting an engine from junk yard isn't all that risky. People buy and swap them all the time, they turn properly, make right noise and give solid compression figures. I'd say risk is only about 5-10% if you inspect it thoroughly and get one from a reliable person.

Now, overhauling totally deponds upon who's doing it. One can end up spending way lot more than a junkyard swap, only to find that compression figures aren't up to mark, heathing issues, oil burning, the lot.
    different strokes for different folks.

In every junkyard engine experience of mine, the engine swapped in started to falter after about 100,000 kms (engine bought from yard that was considered great) while a rebuilt one still kept going strong even after 180,000 kms.

now unless the owner agenda is to dump the car in the next few months - get a scrappie engine specially if the block has a window in it now (thrown rod) or valve dropped and destroyed the cylinder.

I have learnt that - if one follows correct repair and procedure one can get 100% result from the work - e.g. mechanics idle fresh built engines claiming "rawaan" - lol - the compression rings are done for, they have bed in without high compression load - engine has lost its oomph.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    I have learnt that - if one follows correct repair and procedure one can get 100% result from the work - e.g. mechanics idle fresh built engines claiming "rawaan" - lol - the compression rings are done for, they have bed in without high compression load - engine has lost its oomph.
    I have read about this procedure a bit here: Motoman break in method. However, the article wasn't very clear. Do you have to idle the engine to complete warm up (assuming camshaft has been broken in), or do you drive gently until it has been warmed up? Also, is it ok to redline a new engine at high load, even if it is fully warmed up?

If I understood it correctly, the article describes it like this: completely warm up the motor, accelerate through 1st into 2nd, full throttle from 1/3 rpm to redline, engine brake, accelerate again from 1/3 rpm, rinse and repeat for a few cycles. Does this apply to brand new cars as well, or only rebuilt motors? Your input is greatly appreciated.
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZainMahdi View Post
    I have read about this procedure a bit here: Motoman break in method. However, the article wasn't very clear. Do you have to idle the engine to complete warm up (assuming camshaft has been broken in), or do you drive gently until it has been warmed up? Also, is it ok to redline a new engine at high load, even if it is fully warmed up?

If I understood it correctly, the article describes it like this: completely warm up the motor, accelerate through 1st into 2nd, full throttle from 1/3 rpm to redline, engine brake, accelerate again from 1/3 rpm, rinse and repeat for a few cycles. Does this apply to brand new cars as well, or only rebuilt motors? Your input is greatly appreciated.

I have done this all my life without issues, you only get a small window of time after the overhaul that decides the longevity of the engine, letting it idle for weeks and months will not make it super powerful, it will make it a piece of scrap.

The cam bed in is only applicable for brand new cams specially in american ohv engines with hydraulic lifters, it also has a very small time window.

any engine that is built correctly will have no issues running its entire rpm range. If its not able to rev high then the build is bad - start again.

as you noted, engine temperature is vital here - never gun a cold engine - it leads to all sorts of headaches.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

User Tag List