1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 1HDFT diesel pump issue

I have recently bought 1995 multivalve 80 series. The engine was overhauled by the previous owner but at time of making deal when I drove the jeep it was not accelerating the way it should be. It just runs too heavy.

I showed it to a mechanic and according to him it was issue of diesel pump but not that big. So after his expert opinion i made the deal. As its my first jeep and even first diesel engine, I had no clue that its hard to find parts for this engine. Now I think I am in big trouble as I went to a diesel lab and they say the pump needs alot of work though the person just drove it and not opened it yet. Please can someone guide what should I do now? Can I find some better pump from somewhere rather putting effort on this one?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Can someone suggest what to do?

I talked to couple of people and they say even kabli parts are not easily available so it would be hard to get the pump done. Even after the pump done I am not sure if anything else comes up. How much it would cost to change the engine? Jeep is original multi-valve

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Tried checking timing?
    @Xulfiqar is a big help with diesels.
    Scientia Maxime Cuum Virtute '92

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1HDFT overhauled? what is odometer reading? it is not uncommon to see these engines reach 500k kms because of there cast iron design.
    Your ego is writing cheques, your body can't cash.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedraja1996 View Post
    1HDFT overhauled? what is odometer reading? it is not uncommon to see these engines reach 500k kms because of there cast iron design.
    According to the previous owner they were traveling on motorway when the turbo failed and it sucked all the engine oil and the engine was ceased. So they had to get it overhauled.

I took it to Asif Shah and he said one cylinder is not fully functional due to pump issue and that is the reason for dead acceleration. Is Asid Shah reliable? I have no clue about any good mechanic of diesel as its my first jeep. And how much could be the cost for fixing this kind of issue?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

As per my little experience asif shah is not that reliable, I had an HJ60 and I took it to him and all he could figure out was to put half liter lube oil in every tank of diesel.

Than I discussed it with a friend who deals in generators and he sent me to his reliable diesel mechanic on band road near saggian bridge, and he found out that its was worn out diesel pump diaphragm and new one was only for Rs. 1500 and pick increased about 30%.

His contact no is Bilal 0300-4414588

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jehanzebnasir View Post
    As per my little experience asif shah is not that reliable, I had an HJ60 and I took it to him and all he could figure out was to put half liter lube oil in every tank of diesel.

Than I discussed it with a friend who deals in generators and he sent me to his reliable diesel mechanic on band road near saggian bridge, and he found out that its was worn out diesel pump diaphragm and new one was only for Rs. 1500 and pick increased about 30%.

Thanks brother. I will contact him.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jehanzebnasir View Post

Sounds very good if mechanic is trust worthy

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

All non sense Procedure's ... Dont waste your money on fool repairs .. Just feed the engine with DIESEL PURGE along with Super Diesel Additive (Anti Knock) Feed it 2 Liters and your dead pump will be Regenerated and Clogged Injectors will be Again working very well.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rajaatta View Post
    All non sense Procedure's ... Dont waste your money on fool repairs .. Just feed the engine with DIESEL PURGE along with Super Diesel Additive (Anti Knock) Feed it 2 Liters and your dead pump will be Regenerated and Clogged Injectors will be Again working very well.
    Well the injectors were in real bad condition so I got them replaced with new ones and the engine is back to life now. The mechanic told me to put half litre oil in 1 tank full diesel and to make it a practice once every 1 or 2 months. According to him that helps to clean out pump and injectors.

I am not sure if this practice is still followed though I have seen my dad doing this in his 1971 merc 220D.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I also had issue with mine , alot of turbo lag actualy , but after injectors replacement and fuel pump repair it's all good now

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So yesterday I got pump checked also. The main rotor was a polished one and it was in very bad state. So I got it replaced with a brand new and now the pump is good.

So now injectors are brand new, pump is good but the issue of quick gear shifts is still there. In L or D2 it has power now but in D when I floor it from stand still, it just shifts to second gear quick and to third even more quick. What could be the issue? Can anyone guide please

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by umair.aziz View Post
    So yesterday I got pump checked also. The main rotor was a polished one and it was in very bad state. So I got it replaced with a brand new and now the pump is good.

So now injectors are brand new, pump is good but the issue of quick gear shifts is still there. In L or D2 it has power now but in D when I floor it from stand still, it just shifts to second gear quick and to third even more quick. What could be the issue? Can anyone guide please
    Well gear shifting can be adjusted the way u want , but Jeep's are supposed to have short 1st gears

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by umair.aziz View Post

rotor polish? - with what?

the rotor and head are hand picked and sold as "one assembly" - polishing the rotor will increase the bore/rotor clearance and cause pressure loss, There are few other bits in pieces in the pump too, like spill valve adjustment and pump camplate advance - that is why having the calibration data is mandatory.

These small shops with gujranwala made diesel test benches dont have such data.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    rotor polish? - with what?

the rotor and head are hand picked and sold as "one assembly" - polishing the rotor will increase the bore/rotor clearance and cause pressure loss, There are few other bits in pieces in the pump too, like spill valve adjustment and pump camplate advance - that is why having the calibration data is mandatory.

These small shops with gujranwala made diesel test benches dont have such data.
    The rotor and plunger were chromed locally. The mechanics say it does work but only chromed for the first time and it can last for 3-4years. But this one was chromed twice (it had dates punched on it). After getting that set replaced the jeep is running smooth and is accelerating good as well.

The TPS wires were not connected from the day one and the previous owner thought the sensor was not good. Maybe his electrician was not good enough and just told him to get it replaced. I got it checked and after connecting wires the gear shifting is all good now. It kicks down and does push the gear to limit if I floor it. So Alhamdulilah we are enjoying the drive now

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List